Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal or Dungloe

Options
  • 25-01-2017 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Myself and herself have decided to head for Donegal for a few days.

We are in our fifties and its been many years since we visited this lovely part of our country.Trouble is we really cant decide on where to base ourselves for our three nights.

Would be grateful for any suggestions as regards nice hotels or restaurants.
    We are trying to decide between Donegal town, Dongloe or even Letterkenny.

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Showing bias but I would choose Dungloe. Honestly though it all depends what you are looking to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Letterkenny is probably the most central. Your roughly an hour then from all other main centres, such as dungloe, donegal town, Buncrana, falcarragh etc etc plus it has the biggest selection of hotels and restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Donegal Town. Letterkenny is nice if you like breeze block retail parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I'd suggest Letterkenny as a base. As earlier poster pointed out better selection of hotels and you're within hours drive of most other places. Some of the hotels are also offering good deals atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Banjoxed wrote: »

Would you rather a town that gives no retail options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Banjoxed wrote: »

They want somewhere to centre themselves in order to travel about...what difference does it make if there are retail parks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

salonfire wrote: »

While the op hasn't given too much info, I doubt they're coming up here for generic retail parks with the same shops as 50 other towns on this island. Donegal Town isn't exactly shopless either.

Op, Donegal & LK will both have you well covered on hotels & restaurants. your going to have to give a bit more info on what you'd like to do on holiday, or any sights you'd like to visit before we could recommend a location.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

salonfire wrote: »

If you're coming to Ireland to shop you won't visit Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right folks, lets drop the issue about the shops please and get back to the topic where the OP requested this ....
    any suggestions as regards nice hotels or restaurants.
    We are trying to decide between Donegal town, Dongloe or even Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I think I would opt to stay in Letterkenny. You could take day trips to Derry/Buncrana or to Ireland's most northerly point Malin head.You will find plenty of good hotels/resturants along the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

I'd go for Donegal town. It's a much more characterful town and generally nicer than Letterkenny and is convenient for the beauty of Sliabh Liag, Glencolumbkille etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Thanks to everybody for taking the time and trouble to offer your advice. We appreciate it very much.

We have opted to stay in Dungloe.

We look forward to our trip north in April and I will be reporting back here on how we got on

Thanks again :)

Advertisement