Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk not on DAB?

• 25-01-2017 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Why?

I actually rang Newstalk and spoke to the technical dept who knew little or nothing about DAB, so that was a dead end! Considering their high profile and listenership figures I'm surprised they aren't broadcasting on DAB.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

No radio station in Ireland apart from RTE transmit on Dab, is there a reason why you want to listen to Newstalk on the Dab band instead of the FM band ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No radio station in Ireland apart from RTE transmit on Dab, is there a reason why you want to listen to Newstalk on the Dab band instead of the FM band ?

This is untrue - there are a selection of stations that are not RTE connected broadcasting in Dublin.

Newstalk have not been on since the second trial in ~2006-8 or so and are unlikely to do so again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

... is there a reason why you want to listen to Newstalk on the Dab band instead of the FM band ?

I have a nice new DAB radio, that's the reason :)

I guess that's it then, they won't be broadcasting on DAB.

But why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

LordSutch wrote: »
    I have a nice new DAB radio, that's the reason :)

I guess that's it then, they won't be broadcasting on DAB.

But why?

COSTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

But why?

There is no national commercial DAB multiplex and no interest in starting one. Dublin has an eternal trial but they are not interested there either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

L1011 wrote: »
    There is no national commercial DAB multiplex and no interest in starting one. Dublin has an eternal trial but they are not interested there either.

Please don't generalise :) There is a strategic "lack of interest" from two largest players in the market in Dublin. Big step from there to no interest. When one jumps, everyone will.

Thank you, we now return you to your regular programme.

Simon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

SimonMaher wrote: »
    Please don't generalise :) There is a strategic "lack of interest" from two largest players in the market in Dublin. Big step from there to no interest. When one jumps, everyone will.

'Everyone' has already jumped - out.

There was a bundle of indie stations on DAB up to a few years ago, including Radio Kerry, they all pulled out. Apart from RTE, nowadays there's Sunshine and few oddball stations (UCB, Ri-Ra & Maria) on DAB that nobody listens to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

coylemj wrote: »
    'Everyone' has already jumped - out.

There was a bundle of indie stations on DAB up to a few years ago, including Radio Kerry, they all pulled out. Apart from RTE, nowadays there's Sunshine and few oddball stations (UCB, Ri-Ra & Maria) on DAB that nobody listens to.

All true, except for the facts :)

At no point, ever, has a full-time Permanent DAB licence been offered by the BAI. At the end of the trial in 2008, stations were offered a continuation of the trial but no permanence. With no permanence, comes no investment. All the cost, all the risk but none of the potential return. The current, ongoing DAB trial in Dublin and Cork suffers from the same problem. As one of the original triallists and as a potential client of a permanent MUX, I can stand over the above!

Simon

If the above is all true, then I guess shops like Power City & Argos will stop stocking them at some point in the future. Sounds like DAB is obsolete here in the ROI before its even taken off :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If the above is all true, then I guess shops like Power City & Argos will stop stocking them at some point in the future. Sounds like DAB is obsolete here before its even taken off :(

Argos will have stock from the UK and will probably still offer them. I went looking in Power City for a bedside DAB clock radio and there was no sign of one. RTÉ Gold is a benefit, although some Internet device would offer this.

I did buy one in Argos. Now I can switch from RTE to Newstalk, not by moving the dial but rather by changing the band!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

DAB will eventually become standard and FM will be closed down, but due to village politics, Ireland will be one of the last countries to do it.

Norway started shutting FM last week and will have the entire FM radio transmission closed by end of year.

Most new cars have DAB as standard.

Some argue that 4g/5g will take over, but considering the data usage and account needed, that won't be mainstream.

Probably be another couple of years before network is extended here.

Delacent wrote: »
    DAB will eventually become standard and FM will be closed down, but due to village politics, Ireland will be one of the last countries to do .

What a load of tosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I did buy one in Argos. Now I can switch from RTE to Newstalk, not by moving the dial but rather by changing the band!

+1 that's the only benefit of DAB for me - one button on the bedside radio (which I can reach in the dark) changes from RTE to an FM station.

What a load of tosh

Can you back that ridiculous comment up with anything? Please don't back it up by "someone in the pub said"

Norway has started to stop broadcasting in fm, in the UK almost 40% of radio listening is through DAB (june 2016) and DAB is becoming standard equipment in most new cars. They envisage over 50% of radio listening will be DAB by end of 2017

It will probably be 30 years before fm is switched off here, but considering the value of radio spectrum and the lower cost of DAB broadcasting, it will become the standard at some stage.

UK had planned switch off for 2019, but that has been revised and no fixed date is set at present, so it probably "when" rather than "if" for here.

Think - if you told people ten years ago that streaming tv on a laptop or a service such as netflix would be "standard" for many people, you would have had eejits telling you it was "tosh"

Very interesting (post 15).

Looks like I can row back on post No 10 and think again about a positive future for DAB.

Norway has started to stop broadcasting in fm,
    Norway is not stopping FM broadcasting, the 5 national stations are leaving fm, small local, community, college radio etc will continue on Fm. Fm bandwidth has not other valuable use either fyi.
    UK had planned switch off for 2019, but that has been revised and no fixed date is set at present, so it probably "when" rather than "if" for here
    Suits in the uk have been spouting hot air about switch off dates for analogue radio for about 20 years, yet never mind fm, they still haven't switched off mw or even lw.
    ] Dab car radios
    So what's your point ? All those car radio have Fm and in most cases AM too

Norway is not stopping FM broadcasting, the 5 national stations are leaving fm, small local, community, college radio etc will continue on Fm.

Continue until 2022 when a fixed date of full shutdown will probably be announced and that will probably be two years after.

At that stage almost all households will have moved to DAB along with most local radio.

Like anything, once consumers realise its better and has more choice, they move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

but due to village politics, Ireland will be one of the last countries to do it.

Can you expand on that please.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Can you expand on that please.

Look at the LW argument. The number of listeners on LW are tiny. The cost of transmission is expensive relative to the few listeners. But its still there due to political pressure

Politicians are afraid of losing votes, so they tend not to look at long term benefits over short term angst.

Applies to many issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

• Advertisement

Sounds like Norway is going too fast with its plan to stop FM radio transmissions while we are moving too slowly to embrace DAB radio.

Advertisement