Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is right?

• 25-01-2017 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

A quick query to see what people think.

I'm Irish but live in uk. I'm leaving my rented accommodation. The way it works is it is up to me to get new person in (meaning I am liable for rent until I do).

I leave next week. I live with 2 good friends of mine. Obviously they also have an interest in who moves in as they have to live with them.

So the obligation is on me to fill room.

Someone came round during week to see it. She is prepared to take it immediately. She was a very mainstream acceptable candidate. Therefore I feel I have fulfilled my obligation.
    If the guys want to reject her they can. But I feel the financial obligation of paying for the room in my absence as well as the effort involved in recruiting a new person should transfer to them in the event of her not being accepted.

Am I being reasonable here?

The guys view is that while they understand my position, they feel they should not have to take the first person that comes along.
    I understand if that person was some crazed maniac. But the person who viewed it was genuinely a very acceptable candidate.

Kerp in mind also that these are 2 good friends of mine. So it's in everyone's interest there and scan amicable outcome.

(As an aside it took us 2 months to fill a room in this house before. Each month costs me €1500 so if the samevwas to happen it would be €3000)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I think it sounds like you've fulfilled your obligation here but to be honest, it's something you're going to have to sort out with your friends.

There's no right or wrong answer, I can see it from both sides (although I am leaning far more in your direction).

If you're all such close mates there should be no problem in sitting down and having a chat about it and sorting something amicably.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Ask them what the issue with her is? They need to come up with a more legitimate reason than 'she's the first person who looked at the room'.

If they can't, offer her the room. If they can then you'll have to work with them to find someone, but put a time limit on it. You can't pay rent indefinitely until they find someone quiet enough/social enough/hot enough/single enough whatever!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I too live in London. I understand both sides.

I would suggest having a few more people view the room. We usually arranged for 4-5 people to view over a two hour period on one night that other housemates are free to meet them. They then have a choice of who they would like to live with.

After that if they can't agree then it's up to them as you have fulfilled your role.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zxcvbnm1

Ya. I think having many people to view it together is the option. But the problem is the room is expensive (1500 a month) so not many view it.

This one who want it needs an answer now as she needs to move out by next Tuesday. So we can't reject her then go back to her next week saying we will accept her.

The last time we rented out a room in the house we averaged one viewing per week and it took 9 weeks before someone accepted it.

So I guess I want to avoid that kind of situation given we have someone to move in right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zxcvbnm1

On thinking it through further I think a reasonable compromise would be that we split the cost of the vacant room 3 ways until it is filled given that it looks like they are going to reject a very reasonable willing candidate (Up to now it was just me covering the rent )

Does that sound fair as a suggestion to give ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I don't get why they want to reject her though?
    What is the reason they have given? It doesn't matter if she's the first person to look at the room - if she is suitable, then what is their issue?

I don't think it's fair that you will be out of pocket due to them being unnecessarily picky.

zxcvbnm1 wrote: »
    I leave next week ... Someone came round during week to see it. She is prepared to take it immediately

Ordinarily I would say they are being a bit unreasonable. It's understandable that they want to make sure they can live with the new person but they'll have to do better than rejecting her just because she's the first.

That being said, you're leaving next week but only seeing prospective tenants now, have you been actively looking for someone for a few weeks? Or are they miffed because you left it until the last minute perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You have a week for them to view more suitable candidates but I would let them know that they will be doing so out of their own time.

Let them arrange the viewings and showing the person around.

They will soon get bored of the effort and take that girl.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Yeah I'd point out that you've found someone (normal!) to take the room. If they prefer to find somebody else then they can do it on their own time, and money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Did you give ample notice of you leaving?

If they dont want to accept the person who you have chosen then let them find someone. Youve fulfilled your end of the bargain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement