Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyno check

• 25-01-2017 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'd like to have a scan and get a full check up for fertility.

I was going to go to Sims but thinking maybe just a Gyno would be better first? I'm conscious of Sims being quite IVF driven.

I just want to be checked out first.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Annie, do you think that you have a fertility issue?

Reason I ask is, even when couples present at a clinic after failing to conceive within the year about 20% of couples are found to have no reason for failure to conceive and pass all the tests. I think it's a very new field of medicine and there is still a lot they cannot diagnose.

So you could be going in to spend upwards of €400 and still be none the wiser.

For me I had a GP initial visit, plus 2 follow up visits to repeat blood tests. So that was €60 each time (€180) The third time we got a referral to the clinic. The clinic consult was €100 for semen analysis, and €200 for the consult with the doctor.

If you still want to go ahead, you could start by getting the bloods done at your GP on two appointments, one before ovulation, usually around day 3 and another after ovulation - day 21. Then they could refer you to a clinic.

Or you could possibly go directly to the clinic (you'd have to ring and ask), but beware, some clinics charge a lot for blood tests that would be cheaper done by your GP.

Advertisement