Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel Flex

Options
  • 25-01-2017 12:23pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it normal to be able to move a road wheel from side to side? This happened with my last set and a new pair that I put on last week. Basically if I grab a wheel I can push it a couple of mm. The wheel isn't wobbling or rattling and returns to its original position when i let go. QRs are nice and tight.

I've done some digging and I "think" it might be just the wheel flexing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

This is normal, some wheels are stiffer, some less.

The stiffest I tried were Reynolds Attack (afair), all that I have - including homebuilt, factory XT wheelset and semi aero 3T hoops - are laterally flexy to some extent.

This does not translate to any issues in real life, they corner very predictably and don't wobble on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

On an older wheel it can be a sign of bearings needing replacement.

On an older wheel it can be a sign of bearings needing replacement.

This is when the wheel feels loose laterally. If it flexes under finger force, it happens between spokes and the rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Is that the wheel flexing or the fork?

I've checked now and the 3T Pro Disc wheels flex the same amount on the front and back. Not a fork issue then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

It's both front and rear. Definitely doesnt feel loose but just easy to push.

I'd say compare with another wheelset of the same make if you can - if its noticeably flexier, spokes may need to be tightened.

Advertisement