Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newby needs advice on hedging

Options
  • 25-01-2017 1:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, we've recently moved into a new build house. Back garden is currently overlooked from back and two sides. The walls that will need screening hedging is about 144ft/44m long. I'm thinking of shrubs or trees that grow fast, demand low maintenance, preferably do not loose leaves and stay evergreen, not deadly expensive and look nice :). All these nice to have, not mandatory things. I also see ads on mature trees for sale, are mature trees suitable for transplanting? Would they settle on at all? Also, the soil on the back garden looks hard with much clay in it. What can be done to improve the soil quality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

cocoa123 wrote: »
    Hi, we've recently moved into a new build house. Back garden is currently overlooked from back and two sides. The walls that will need screening hedging is about 144ft/44m long. I'm thinking of shrubs or trees that grow fast, demand low maintenance, preferably do not loose leaves and stay evergreen, not deadly expensive and look nice :). All these nice to have, not mandatory things. I also see ads on mature trees for sale, are mature trees suitable for transplanting? Would they settle on at all? Also, the soil on the back garden looks hard with much clay in it. What can be done to improve the soil quality?

Sounds like Laurel would fit the bill http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/laurel-hedging/laurel_hedge1?nosto=productcategory-nosto-1

(you can get it cheaper than this link, especially when buying a lot).

I planted a few infront of my oil tank to screen it. The soil there was not great at all and it has done really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well at least you do not have a 'builder's lawn' to contend with! Save yourself a good deal of grief by getting in someone to turn over the entire area, remove all the lumps of concrete, bits of plastic, sheets of polythene, broken tiles, caches of sand and anything else that has been abandoned. Also the ground will have been driven on by large machinery and will be compacted for quite a depth.

If the soil is poor you could consider getting in top soil and/or compost type material to improve it.

There will also be foundations under the boundary wall and more lumps of concrete and blocks, the rubbish needs to be removed, then do not plant the trees too near the wall - about 15 to 18 inches away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭cocoa123

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

cocoa123 wrote: »
    Thanks folks.

Any recommendations for a Garden Centre around Kildare to buy Laurel ?

Advertisement