Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oriental food stores near S.Ring

Options
  • 25-01-2017 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for curry leaves, and my usual groceries stops (admittedly limited to Dunnes, Tesco and Aldi) have failed me. I took a wander down Tramore road today, and out past Turner's Cross, but the only likely shop I spotted was Pinoy near the Horseshoe but it looked closed.

I don't fancy going all the way into town where I'm sure I could find what I need, is there anywhere close to the S.Ring/S.Link still going these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I think Tiger might have them. They're in Mahon Point as well as town.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭homer.j

Mr. Bells beside fastfit at Deanrock Cottages / Barrs H&F club, just off the togher road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

The shop at the petrol station in turners cross, or

WONG FAT on the centre park rd, they supply a lot of stuff for restaurant's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Typo above maybe, I think that is Wing Fat Hong on centre park road?

The other place you might try is the Green Saffron stalls at markets, or email them directly, they've popped stuff in the post for me before.  (based in midleton). 

http://www.greensaffron.com/ ;

I think they sell some whole spices as well as the ground ones at the markets, but sure give them a ring and see. They are very helpful usually. 
    They don't list curry leaves for sale on the website, but I guess they'd have them, as they are an ingredient they use.

http://www.greensaffron.com/shop/all-products.html?dir=desc&order=name

I've gotten curry leaves in the asian supermarkets in the city before and they are crappy, old dried out, no flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Good idea on Green Saffron, I live near Midleton, but their opening hours (weekdays only) don't suit. I'll just keep them in mind for my next sickie. Mr Bell's looked good, but the guy there (Mr Bell himself?) told me that there was a curry leaf crop failure 2 years ago, and there's great difficulty in finding dried curry leaves - Tesco, he reckoned, do the fresh ones from time to time.

I'll keep Wing Fat Hong in mind, but for this weekend, I'm just going to have to do without. Tks again all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I recently bought fresh curry leaves in the Asian shop on Bridge Street. In town, I know, but....

They were cheap, fresh and good.
    Had to ask for them, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

corblimey wrote: »
    Good idea on Green Saffron, I live near Midleton, but their opening hours (weekdays only) don't suit. I'll just keep them in mind for my next sickie. Mr Bell's looked good, but the guy there (Mr Bell himself?) told me that there was a curry leaf crop failure 2 years ago, and there's great difficulty in finding dried curry leaves - Tesco, he reckoned, do the fresh ones from time to time.

I'll keep Wing Fat Hong in mind, but for this weekend, I'm just going to have to do without. Tks again all.

Yeah, their shop opening hours don't suit me either. That's why I siad phone them... they deliver and are at markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Zaiqa, it's a large Asian/Indian warehouse on Tramore Road behind the car wash. It has a big selection of fresh and dried spices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

just hopping on this thread, chicken feet? same place or no?  looking for them in cork, anywhere really... anyone know a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

just hopping on this thread, chicken feet? same place or no?  looking for them in cork, anywhere really... anyone know a place?

I think Jia Jia on cornmarket St do them frozen

• Advertisement

I think Jia Jia on cornmarket St do them frozen
    down by tkmaxx? perfect ill have a look tomorrow! thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

There's two more Asian shops as well if you walk past jia jia towards the river and turn right. The one on the corner had loads of freezers so you should definitely be able to get them between the 3.

Thanks Guys!!

Advertisement