Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upper quad discomfort during lunges

• 25-01-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

As part of my weekly exercise class, we have to do a few minutes of lunges. After maybe 3-4 down and ups, I get a feeling in my upper quad on the leg that's at the back. It's not painful, just discomfort. If I come up out of the lunge and shake my leg a bit, it's grand for a few more down and ups.

I think my main problem is a lack of balance and maybe I'm tensing those muscles all the time, but that's just guessing. I'm considering using a wall for balance next time and see if that makes any difference, but wonder if anyone else has this problem or knows a solution? Maybe my posture is wrong, or I'm stepping too far back or not far enough - is there any good online guide for lunges that I could practise at home before next week's class?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

corblimey wrote: »
    As part of my weekly exercise class, we have to do a few minutes of lunges. After maybe 3-4 down and ups, I get a feeling in my upper quad on the leg that's at the back. It's not painful, just discomfort. If I come up out of the lunge and shake my leg a bit, it's grand for a few more down and ups.

I think my main problem is a lack of balance and maybe I'm tensing those muscles all the time, but that's just guessing. I'm considering using a wall for balance next time and see if that makes any difference, but wonder if anyone else has this problem or knows a solution? Maybe my posture is wrong, or I'm stepping too far back or not far enough - is there any good online guide for lunges that I could practise at home before next week's class?

where exactly is the discomfort?, lunges stretch the hip flexors of the rear leg at the bottom of the movement so it could be that your feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Dave 101 wrote: »
    where exactly is the discomfort?, lunges stretch the hip flexors of the rear leg at the bottom of the movement so it could be that your feeling

It's basically right in the centre of the quads on the rear leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

what are you like in this stretch? If its mega difficult then you need to do the stretch more and roll the bejasus out of your quads
    if its grand then you might need more direct glute work so they contribute more during lunges

Advertisement