Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture Stores in Kilkenny-why so bad?

Options
  • 25-01-2017 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭

Why are they so bad (and overpriced) in Kilkenny?
    There's about three only- Meubles, Modern Living and Lowrys.

Meubles is nice, but obviously very expensive.
    Modern Living- expensive and middle of the road (and small enough selection)
    Lowrys - a very unattractive store, I got the impression the last time I was there you'd struggle to think it was still open. Not many bargains either.

Where do other people generally go? I find Minogues in Carlow very good, one down in New Ross also Murphys.

Pre-recession there was also Curleys and Furniture Depot which were good for middle of the road stuff. There's surely an opening for the likes of these to come back?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I went to dfs last time. I worked five years in furniture stores and I have a distinct lack of trust for any of them. How as ever I did find Treacy's in Bennetsbridge good, I bought flooring and and a mattress from there.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I went to dfs last time. I worked five years in furniture stores and I have a distinct lack of trust for any of them. How as ever I did find Treacy's in Bennetsbridge good, I bought flooring and and a mattress from there.

Yea, they're not far off Estate Agents and Car dealers, especially the Kilkenny ones.
    Never think to go out to Treacys. Must have a look at their website.
    Where are DFS? Dublin or Naas?

Greenwood was another that folded also. Guineys there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I've bought a few bits online from homeline furniture in Clonmel.

Never any hassle and much cheaper than our local offerings. Saved approx 100 quid on a pocket sprung mattress for example.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

road_high wrote: »
    Yea, they're not far off Estate Agents and Car dealers, especially the Kilkenny ones.
    Never think to go out to Treacys. Must have a look at their website.
    Where are DFS? Dublin or Naas?

On par or worse. I worked with one guy that would just lie about everything, I often ended up trying to clean his messes, what an absolute w@nker. The second company I worked for, the sales manager for the company was making training videos, he said "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission", they were money hungry. I feel sorry for both companies going bust but for different reasons, the first were trying to make money and trained us to be good, the second owners did a Runner with millions, only for my store manager, my colleague and I, loads of people would have been left high and dry. I'm sorry they got away with it. I was a mediocre salesman partly because of my honesty and partly because the best salespeople are young and goodlooking.

I got my furniture in dfs in cork because I'm based between there and here. There are 2 dfs in Dublin. My friend who's a furniture technician told me they're easily the best.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

On par or worse. I worked with one guy that would just lie about everything, I often ended up trying to clean his messes, what an absolute w@nker. The second company I worked for, the sales manager for the company was making training videos, he said "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission", they were money hungry. I feel sorry for both companies going bust but for different reasons, the first were trying to make money and trained us to be good, the second owners did a Runner with millions, only for my store manager, my colleague and I, loads of people would have been left high and dry. I'm sorry they got away with it. I was a mediocre salesman partly because of my honesty and partly because the best salespeople are young and goodlooking.

I got my furniture in dfs in cork because I'm based between there and here. There are 2 dfs in Dublin. My friend who's a furniture technician told me they're easily the best.

Do you know what? I headed down to New Ross, Murphy's beside Tesco again. Absolutely excellent choice and value. Free delivery as well. Only 40 mins away, worth the trip.
    No joking, but stuff seemed double the price in KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

There is a place in the Royal Oak Bagnalstown only down the road. I have got plenty of things there

toe_knee wrote: »
    There is a place in the Royal Oak Bagnalstown only down the road. I have got plenty of things there

Must try that one thanks, forgot that one is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

Must try that one thanks, forgot that one is there.
    There is a place called carpet options its up near Jim Walsh auto factors
    you might pick a good bargain up there I certainly did.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

YES, I got a great price on a bed there

• Advertisement

Never heard of it tbh. They do furniture obviously?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

A little bit of a trek, but Finline in Co.Laois are very good if it's chairs and sofas you're after. All Irish made too.

A little bit of a trek, but Finline in Co.Laois are very good if it's chairs and sofas you're after. All Irish made too.

I know it. Maybe another time, it's more run of the mill stuff I've been after but maybe in a few years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

Never heard of it tbh. They do furniture obviously?
    It's just down from roccos chipper

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

linny wrote: »

Looked to be open last day I drove by it. Had all sale clearance signs up. Your ad says vacant possession though. They've another store down in Bunclody.

Advertisement