Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finally, an electric car that doesnt look like its from space

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Nice! Pity its not production.

Another interesting one in that website is the BMW 3-series.
    I like the way they have the ability to plugin additional range extender modules. Thats an excellent idea.
    If you know you have a longer journey you plug in the extra modules and when you're just tootling around you take them out to keep the weight down. They should do that for production EV's

407433.jpg

I'd say the efficiency is horrible but that's not what it's designed for.

Range extending batteries ? I can't see how that would work especially with different modules being used and worn differently, batteries don't like to be mixed with newer/older cells !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The Panamera with a top speed of 300KPH and range of 450KM would convince me to go EV. Becuase of the range, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd say the efficiency is horrible but that's not what it's designed for.

Range extending batteries ? I can't see how that would work especially with different modules being used and worn differently, batteries don't like to be mixed with newer/older cells !

I think I read something like it before and maybe they are connected to the charger of the car rather than extending the battery pack itself.... they basically charge the existing battery... maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    Nice! Pity its not production.

This is hopeful though:

PROTOTYPE
    This car is a unique prototype and not for sale. We are currently in contact with partner companies regarding mass production of cars with Kreisel batteries.

And I bet Arnie is giving the company / project a bit of a boost :p

1485160034.205-sensation-kreisel-brueder-bauen-auto-fuer-arnie.jpg

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    I think I read something like it before and maybe they are connected to the charger of the car rather than extending the battery pack itself.... they basically charge the existing battery... maybe?

Yes this could be done, similar to the battery extending kits that were offered to convert a prius to plug in, well kinda, it charged the main traction battery. The better kits replaced the main battery altogether.

But it still adds to the expense. And I don't think too many people will need more than 80 Kwh of storage, not in Ireland anyway. Especially with fast charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

On another wing, you might like driving it OP. John Deere have a prototype EV tractor.
    Battery 130kWh/670V.
    Two electric motors 150kW each.
    Charge time is 3 hours.
    Work time about 4 hours.

Is this a 350hp tractor? The charge time is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A tractor without a tractor engine? Now we've seen it all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There original idea seems to be for farms that have an electrical source on site.
    Plug the wind turbine or solar array into it.
    They also see it as a significant energy storage pack.

Advertisement