Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you pick of this list?

• 25-01-2017 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

My F650GS (Single) died before Christmas so I've been bike-less since then.
    I moved back from the UK a few months ago and still have some sterling.
    I booked a flight to Bristol for Saturday morning as it was only a tenner. Ferry back is £55.
    Long story short, I'm hoping to buy a bike on Saturday in Bristol.

Is there anything on this list you would get?

I know I am not giving much to go on. I think I want a sports tourer.
    My wishlist was (I don't expect I'd fill this:
    • ideally with at least 50kW(67bhp) (The missus can use it for her A test then)
    • Under £4k
    • Less than 35k miles
    • Newer than ~2009
    • Has ABS
    • with a top box
    • with panniers
    • with a centre stand.

I want something more exciting than the F650GS. I could probably go without ABS.
    The luggage doesn't need to be there, but I think I'd like the option to add it later.

Is there anything you'd love there? Is there anything you'd hate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

F650GS 800cc Twin. Just got one for the S.O.

That link you posted is no good.

You'd get one here inside your budget

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2008-bmw-f650-gs/14411687

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

VFR800 as an alternative ??

Example

You might have to up the price or drop the year slightly, depends on how far you are willing/able to push the search area. Personally I would be more interested in condition than age on any bike more than a few years old. Don't leave yourself short on time for a HPI type check. Best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

galwaytt wrote: »
    F650GS 800cc Twin. Just got one for the S.O.
    That link you posted is no good.
    You'd get one here inside your budget
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2008-bmw-f650-gs/14411687

Hmm, that's better than I thought, interesting.
    Kat1170 wrote: »
    VFR800 as an alternative ??

Example

You might have to up the price or drop the year slightly, depends on how far you are willing/able to push the search area. Personally I would be more interested in condition than age on any bike more than a few years old. Don't leave yourself short on time for a HPI type check. Best of luck with your search.

Oddly enough I was looking at a VFR800 this morning at the traffic lights. Also interested.

Has anyone touched a F800ST. I don't know what to make of the belt drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

VFR is a very thirsty bike,would need to be mapped to get half decent fuel milege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Get a Harley :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

F650 twin.... I've one with a load of extras that I could be persuaded to part with :)
    F800st, very hard suspension wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hmm, that's better than I thought, interesting.

Oddly enough I was looking at a VFR800 this morning at the traffic lights. Also interested.

Has anyone touched a F800ST. I don't know what to make of the belt drive.

Drove a span new F800GT a while back : found it harsh suspension-wise on R roads. The GS is same package but far more comfy.

As for a belt, it's great. You won't even know it's there.....which is the whole idea. Quiet, smooth, no maintenance or oiling.

Actually it's the one thing I don't like about the SO's GS: no belt (chain).

I have 44k on the belt of my 1450 Harley and it's perfect. Don't know why they're not more popular tbh. Far simpler & cheaper than a shaft too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I rode a parallel twin F650GS at the weekend, I think I'll aim for one one of the parallel twin GS's at this stage. I didn't travel this weekend, but I may this weekend, but there any bikes around that are matching up in terms of cost and effort.

Advertisement