Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke detector didn't go off

Options
  • 25-01-2017 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭

I have a smoke detector that wired into the house wiring. Replaced the battery in October, and the test button fires fine.

This morning, I left a pot on the hob with the fire on, forgot about it and went out of a room where the door'd been shut into a smoke-filled house. Well, nothing damaged, the pot has cleaned up perfectly, but the smoke detector never went off.

I expect the detector is at least 5 years old, the house was built in 2004 and it might be original. I intend to replace it and perhaps buy an additional battery-only unit for somewhere else in the house, the bad smoke detector is in the main hallway. I am planning on installing the battery unit in a room adjoining the kitchen and replacing the bad detector with a new version of same.

Should you replace detectors regularly? I actually did replace one last year in the attic which is unfinished, but I was doing some work up there and succeeded in breaking the detector there (also a hardwired unit) so I got a replacement at the electrical supply store that was the exact same unit, which is the same model as the one that failed this morning.

Finally, could a problem with the wiring cause the detector not to trigger? The LED light is always on, I would assume if there weren't enough voltage there'd be some indication. And, wouldn't the battery backup matter in this case?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Are you sure it's a smoke detector - as opposed to a heat or carbon monoxide detector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

What is the expiry date on the alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

What is the expiry date on the alarm?

Last January! That was the problem. Off to buy a new one today, and an additional backup for another room. Didn't realize they expired!

TYVM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Everything has an expiry date nearly, including ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

do you know if 'canned smoke' is available in Ireland. When I was in the US and had to sell a house, the local fire marshal came by and tested all the detectors by spraying from an aerosol can.

If not, is there a clever way to test them that doesn't involve waving smoky whatever under the detector? I suppose I could ask a neighbor to come by with a cigarette, but not sure I like that idea too much, either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Cordell

vapors from the e-cig works just as well, this is how I test my detectors :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Most wholesalers would have test aerosols.

http://www.eurosales.ie/products/SC008.html

Advertisement