Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolka river filth

Options
  • 25-01-2017 5:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

Cycling past this river every day, going over the Luke Kelly bridge coming into North Strand, it breaks my heart to see the beautiful Cranes and Swans with all their grace, among the shopping trolleys, traffic cones, and general rubbish in the river, which has been absolutely shamefully filthy for as long as I can remember. I went to school around there in the 90s and it hasn't improved at all.
    Is there anything that can be done to clean it up? Or who's responsible for this?
    I know the people of North Inner City Dublin like to throw their rubbish around the streets without thinking about it (it's voted dirtiest place in Ireland every year), but what can we do to improve cleanliness in this river and this part of the city? Is it purely a class thing? I used to cycle through Summerhill every day - instead of paying for bin tags the locals just leave bags of rubbish all over the streets that get blown around and kicked around eventually. They seem to like living in their own filth.
    Same goes for Fairview park. The rubbish left around the place, even in winter, is just shocking. What goes through these people's minds? Oh wait, nothing probably...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

tolka has always been a shi**y river and its looks probably arent helped that it nearly drys out at low tide. Probably the OPW who look after with the city council.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Why not contact Irish Waterways and An Taisce and organise a spring clean up one Saturday like they do on the Dodder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

subpar wrote: »
    Why not contact Irish Waterways and An Taisce and organise a spring clean up one Saturday like they do on the Dodder

I'm not sure how you'd even get down there, when the tide is out there's probably a 3 meter drop.

I needed to get that rant off my chest earlier. Seeing the beautiful Crane on a shopping trolley on the way to work made me emotional ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

subpar wrote: »

Waterways would not be responsible for the Tolka as its not a navigable waterway. An Taisce generally don't care about the northside :pac:

DCC/local councillors would be the main point of contact to get anything done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

L1011 wrote: »
    An Taisce generally don't care about the northside :pac:

Come on they do! They love blocking the redevelopment of the north inner city. Why have a modern hospital when you keep the skyline of the city the same.

OP try asking DCC. I wonder if their flood defenses have anything to with the river dirt build up. DCC instead of regularly cleaning, only appear to clean things on request. My road used to be cleaned every 3 months, now it is every 6 months. But it was looking really rough and DCC told it was 9 months since they last cleaned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cycling past this river every day, going over the Luke Kelly bridge coming into North Strand, it breaks my heart to see the beautiful Cranes and Swans with all their grace

we don't have cranes in Ireland (not the avian kind anyway) - probably herons.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

loyatemu wrote: »

Could be Egrets too... have seen them in the Tolka. I try to focus on them and not the debris ... that's when I'm not dodging the footpaths fouled with dogs dirt :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

loyatemu wrote: »

Oh sorry yeah, it's a grey heron. They are beautiful. It's amazing that they look so exotic yet they just walk around Fairview Park in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you work in eastpoint, herons are a regular visitor to the ponds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I was involved in a few clean ups in the Tolka and it's actually not that dirty. There's debris alright, cones, trolleys ect.. but while they're certainly an eyesore, they're not that much of a pollutant. More like urban perching and nesting points for birds! (as witnessed here). There's breeding salmon coming up river every year. Dublin is the only capital in Europe with breeding salmon on three rivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I live around the turn from Luke Kelly Bridge and there are both egrets and other resident herons there.

Such a shame to see them out in the middle of shopping trolleys, dumped push bikes, domestic rubbish bins etc....

There sure is a lack of pride around North inner city, it's not just locals though, I've on more than one occasion caught Brazilians / Indians etc dumping their rubbish thinking they weren't seen.

Place is an absolute dump now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I was involved in a few clean ups in the Tolka and it's actually not that dirty. There's debris alright, cones, trolleys ect.. but while they're certainly an eyesore, they're not that much of a pollutant. More like urban perching and nesting points for birds! (as witnessed here). There's breeding salmon coming up river every year. Dublin is the only capital in Europe with breeding salmon on three rivers.

yep, there are salmon in the Tolka at Scribblestown, which is brilliant, and just further downriver in Tolka Valley Park is the whole natural cleaning pond thing.

From there down through the Botanics and on past Drumcondra into Ballybough there isn't really anywhere it could be getting actually polluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

L1011 wrote: »
    If you work in eastpoint, herons are a regular visitor to the ponds too.

Often see them along the Dodder as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

neris wrote: »
    tolka has always been a shi**y river and its looks probably arent helped that it nearly drys out at low tide. Probably the OPW who look after with the city council.

Looks can be deceiving, salmon have been spawning in the tolka again for the past few years.A number of otters have been seen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

italodisco wrote: »

It's actually not that bad. (according to the current wildlife) Certainly the dumping of household refuse is very very bad, but the trolleys and bikes aren't the worst type of pollutant.

If you feel strongly about it PM me and I can put you in touch with groups that are involved with clean ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

italodisco wrote: »

There sure is a lack of pride around North inner city, it's not just locals though, I've on more than one occasion caught Brazilians / Indians etc dumping their rubbish thinking they weren't seen.

You know what they say "When in Rome do as the Romans do". Though neither nation has a good environmental reputation.

Advertisement