Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court Order without Notice of Motion

• 25-01-2017 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭

I've just been forwarded a Court order sent from my solicitor whom I haven't engaged for 3 years.

Looks like my ex sought a variation to our separation agreement and was granted it in my absence. The case was actually held on December 1st 2016.

The thing is; although I probably see my ex face to face at least once, sometimes twice a week she never mentioned she was taking me back to court and I didn't receive the notice of motion. So I couldn't turn up to a court sitting I didn't actually know about in the first place. Turns out that she just put it in the post, unregistered and didn't give me a copy (she lives 2 streets away).
    That's also why the order took so long to get to me, the court used my solicitors address from the original settlement, going back to 2012.

How do I deal with this? I want to contest the order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 justinmg1

The thing is; although I probably see my ex face to face at least once, sometimes twice a week she never mentioned she was taking me back to court and I didn't receive the notice of motion. So I couldn't turn up to a court sitting I didn't actually know about in the first place. Turns out that she just put it in the post, unregistered and didn't give me a copy (she lives 2 streets away). That's also why the order took so long to get to me, the court used my solicitors address from the original settlement, going

Op, I am not of a legal background but I would argue as to why it was your ex that submitted the documents via the post. I would have presumed that official court documents must be registered ie with a trace of delivery.

Advertisement