Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance refused

Options
  • 25-01-2017 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I got a request by my last insurance company to provide an engineers report in order to renew my insurance policy. I did not provide this as I was planning on shopping around before I renewed the insurance. My car is just 10 years old and has a valid NCT and has not been in any crash. Now when I try and get a quote from other insurance companies they will not provide me with insurance as there the record on my history shows I did reused an engineers report. I've spoken to the mechanic who services my car and he says you should only need a report for an older car or if it was in a crash recently. Has anyone else had this issue. I don't mind getting engineers reports for valid safety reasons but I have had no accidents or claims.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

ptrc1977 wrote: »
    I got a request by my last insurance company to provide an engineers report in order to renew my insurance policy. I did not provide this as I was planning on shopping around before I renewed the insurance. My car is just 10 years old and has a valid NCT and has not been in any crash. Now when I try and get a quote from other insurance companies they will not provide me with insurance as there the record on my history shows I did reused an engineers report. I've spoken to the mechanic who services my car and he says you should only need a report for an older car or if it was in a crash recently. Has anyone else had this issue. I don't mind getting engineers reports for valid safety reasons but I have had no accidents or claims.

Did you own the car from new?

If not, is it possible it was involved in a crash before you took ownership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Did you own the car from new?

If not, is it possible it was involved in a crash before you took ownership?

Should all cars come with an engineers report for every sale? Is that what insurers want?

Do they have any faith at all in the NCT?

Could they work with the government and point out the possibly fatal omissions that are allowing seruously un roadworthy cars to pass? Rather setting up their own parallel, vague and changeable system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ptrc1977

The car was in a crash before I bought it, but had been fixed and passed the NCT, and has passed the last NCT. No issues showed up on Cartell either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

ptrc1977 wrote: »
    The car was in a crash before I bought it, but had been fixed and passed the NCT, and has passed the last NCT. No issues showed up on Cartell either.

OK.

Ive seen cases where vehicles are flagged by the VLC as having suffered substantial damage so that's likely why the insurer are requesting an engineers report.

Advertisement