Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on paying deposit

Options
  • 25-01-2017 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

My friend has come across an apartment.
    The landlord lives abroad, and the current tenants are moving out shortly. They are letting the house on a lease with no end date. My friend has visited the apartment and would like to move in.
    The current tenants have asked for the deposit to be forwarded to them by Friday. However, my friend is reluctant to do this for obvious reasons - he would prefer to forward the deposit to the landlord.
    As I mentioned, they've visited the apartment and the current tenants seem genuine enough, but they have had no interaction with the landlord and have not seen a contract. They would very much like to make a move on the apartment but they're not sure how to cover themselves with regards to the deposit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

The landlord lives abroad, and the current tenants are moving out shortly. They are letting the house on a lease with no end date. My friend has visited the apartment and would like to move in.
    The current tenants have asked for the deposit to be forwarded to them by Friday. However, my friend is reluctant to do this for obvious reasons - he would prefer to forward the deposit to the landlord.
    As I mentioned, they've visited the apartment and the current tenants seem genuine enough, but they have had no interaction with the landlord and have not seen a contract. They would very much like to make a move on the apartment but they're not sure how to cover themselves with regards to the deposit.

I'd avoid like the plague - putting time pressure on them to secure something that's in short supply reeks to me like a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Dont under any circumstances give the deposit to the outgoing tenants without the express approval of the landlord.

Also, they should be aware that if there isn't an Irish agent dealing with the property and collecting rent then they are obliged to deduct 20% of the rent and forward that to the Revenue....

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Browney7 wrote: »

I'd avoid like the plague - putting time pressure on them to secure something that's in short supply reeks to me like a scam
    I agree, but on the other hand it seems like apartment leases are often transferred haphazardly like this among students/young people, especially in places like Galway town center where there's ferocious demand and you can get away with treating people unprofessionally/disrespectfully.
    My friend has access to the current occupant's Facebook page and has physically been in the apartment. The apartment actually existing is always a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

exaisle wrote: »
    Dont under any circumstances give  the deposit to the outgoing tenants without the express approval of the landlord.

Also, they should be aware that if there isn't an Irish agent dealing with the property and collecting rent then they are obliged to deduct 20% of the rent and forward that to the Revenue....
    Hmm, the plot thickens. I believe the landlord is Irish but primarily resides abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Hmm, the plot thickens. I believe the landlord is Irish but primarily resides abroad.

Doesn't matter.If he resides abroad, then the same rules apply.Even if they are paying the rent into an Irish bank account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement