Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Home and Wemo

• 25-01-2017 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Google Home added support for Wemo yesterday and I have been trying since to get it to recognise/find my Wemo devices, without success. Has anyone successfully managed to do this?

It looks like the Wemo connection portal is failing for me. It fails to automatically find the devices on my network so asks for my SSID and MAC address of the devices. That fails too. Given how ****e their software has been so far I'm blaming Belkin for this....but it could me me too! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

albob wrote: »
    Google Home added support for Wemo yesterday and I have been trying since to get it to recognise/find my Wemo devices, without success. Has anyone successfully managed to do this?

It looks like the Wemo connection portal is failing for me. It fails to automatically find the devices on my network so asks for my SSID and MAC address of the devices. That fails too. Given how ****e their software has been so far I'm blaming Belkin for this....but it could me me too! :)
    Worked for me first time

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

Worked for me first time

Bummer. Out of interest is your SSID all lower case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Bummer. Out of interest is your SSID all lower case?

There's a lack of info on this.

I had my network set to use Wireless N only and the Wemo app refused to take my wi-fi key. Eventually I called belkin support who were completely useless and just suggested changing the wireless channel.

I finally randomly changed to let my wi-fi broadcast on B/G/N and the Wemo app worked straight away.

I was using IFTTT for the last week and it was a bit of a pain, I had very mixed results with the voice control, 50% success rate with powering on and off the lights. Usually with 2 - 3 second delay before the lights went on/off

Since Google added direct support today it has been flawless and almost instant.

I had my network set to use Wireless N only and the Wemo app refused to take my wi-fi key.

By this do you mean that leaving Google Home aside, you had difficulty getting the Wemo app to connect? Or was it the Wemo authentication part through Google Home had difficulty? The Wemo app itself works fine for me, it's only the Google Home connection to Wemo fails.

Trawling the net I found a comment from someone that the SSID needs to be all lower case....I'll give that a go tonight. I'd be amazed if that's the cause but worth trying none the less.

By this do you mean that leaving Google Home aside, you had difficulty getting the Wemo app to connect? Or was it the Wemo authentication part through Google Home had difficulty? The Wemo app itself works fine for me, it's only the Google Home connection to Wemo fails.

Trawling the net I found a comment from someone that the SSID needs to be all lower case....I'll give that a go tonight. I'd be amazed if that's the cause but worth trying none the less.

No the SSID doesn't need to be all lower case, My SID is mixed case with some underscores in there. I wouldn't change my SSID for a new device anyway, I'd just return the device!

In my case, the Wemo app refused to let the Wemo device authenticate with my network (it would see it, just constantly give me a password incorrect error). Once I changed the wifi to mixed mode it worked first time.

• Advertisement

Stumped by this. I've tried resetting the Wemo devices and reinstalling its app on my phone by Google Home authorization it still fails to connect to it.Might try factory resetting the phone as its something I need to do anyway (battery has gone to crap recently, and I could do with clearing it out). After that, I'll just give up, and invest in Hue next time.

The Wemo software has been absolute rubbish for me. Settings not being retained, etc.

[Edit: In case people think I am nuts resetting my phone for this, I have work related stuff on phone and they mess with security settings because of that. I'm wondering of that is causing some issue]

Stumped by this. I've tried resetting the Wemo devices and reinstalling its app on my phone by Google Home authorization it still fails to connect to it.Might try factory resetting the phone as its something I need to do anyway (battery has gone to crap recently, and I could do with clearing it out). After that, I'll just give up, and invest in Hue next time.

The Wemo software has been absolute rubbish for me. Settings not being retained, etc.

[Edit: In case people think I am nuts resetting my phone for this, I have work related stuff on phone and they mess with security settings because of that. I'm wondering of that is causing some issue]

The Wemo app is awful, however, once you eventually get the device connected to your wifi you don't really need their crappy app any more.

Resetting your phone probably won't make any difference.

Things I've read to check:
    Set your wi-fi band to mixed mode.
    If you have a dual channel router disable the 5Ghz channel.
    I didn't change my SSID to lowercase but some people have had luck with that.
    Change the wi-fi key to remove special characters.
    Uninstall the app and reinstall (in conjunction with a reset of the Wemo device)
    Try the app on an apple device if you use android (or vice versa).

Only for the fact that the it got full google integration this week and has been running perfectly since, mine was all set to go back to the shop this weekend.

Advertisement