Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky dropping eurosport?

Options
  • 25-01-2017 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

Just saw something on twitter about sky customers losing eurosport as part of some beef between sky and discovery.

Eurosport being the premier pro cycling coverage provider is why I've put it here.

I'm not actually with Sky but I had intended switching next month.

How do the rest of ye get your cycling fix? Is the eurosport online subscription app as sh1te as it used to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I am soooooo close to cancelling my Sky subscription, Eurosport's was the only thing holding me back. If this goes ahead, Sky will lose another customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I subscribe to the eurosport player. It can be a bit temperamental on the xbox, but I've had no issues with Android or Windows. I tend to use Android and chromecast to the tele!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ah no, lads. I hope this doesn't happen - especially as the season is about get under way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I subscribe to the eurosport player. It can be a bit temperamental on the xbox, but I've had no issues with Android or Windows. I tend to use Android and chromecast to the tele!

But you can't record can you? Like when the long tours are on Tour de France etc, can you stream highlights whenever you want in the evening or are you only given access to the live TV schedule?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

fat bloke wrote: »
    Just saw something on twitter about sky customers losing eurosport as part of some beef between sky and discovery.

Eurosport being the premier pro cycling coverage provider is why I've put it here.

I'm not actually with Sky but I had intended switching next month.

How do the rest of ye get your cycling fix? Is the eurosport online subscription app as sh1te as it used to be?

The player's not amazing, but it's gotten better - you can play back coverage from 3-4 hours previous, and most programmes are online and available to watch on demand within a couple of hours. And it works on Linux now!

But you can't record can you?

While you can record on the Sky platform, series link doesn't seem to ever work on Eurosport on any stage races for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

yeah it's gone alright - just checked 'my sky' there now:

"From 1 February, Discovery Communications’ portfolio of channels will no longer be available in Sky TV packages"

What channels?...

"In the UK and Ireland, this includes Animal Planet, Discovery HD, Discovery History, Discovery Home & Health, Discovery Science, Discovery Shed, Discovery Turbo, DMAX, Eurosport1, Eurosport2, Investigation Discovery, Quest and TLC."

I think I'll quit them too - Probably we can tune it in under 'other channels' or whatever, but ye can't record it then, and that's no good to me. dammit :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

But you can't record can you? Like when the long tours are on Tour de France etc, can you stream highlights whenever you want in the evening or are you only given access to the live TV schedule?
    There's normally highlights on demand for a week or so. iirc the classics highlights videos were 90 minutes. Plus you have the TV highlights too.

I've never had sky plus, so I'm sure it doesn't match up to that convenience, but it's 6.99 a month compared to whatever the minimum sky plus package that has eurosport costs? Between that, and the Bike Channel being FTA, most of the spring was covered.

andy69 wrote: »

"From 1 February, Discovery Communications’ portfolio of channels will no longer be available in Sky TV packages"

What channels?...

"In the UK and Ireland, this includes Animal Planet, Discovery HD, Discovery History, Discovery Home & Health, Discovery Science, Discovery Shed, Discovery Turbo, DMAX, Eurosport1, Eurosport2, Investigation Discovery, Quest and TLC."

I think I'll quit them too - Probably we can tune it in under 'other channels' or whatever, but ye can't record it then, and that's no good to me. dammit :mad:

Nightmare.

The Mrs. will have a private snigger :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

ITV are broadcasting each stage as well as a highlights each night

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

crosstownk wrote: »
    Nightmare.

The Mrs. will have a private snigger :mad:

Not mine, she watches TLC regularly. We've decided to ditch sky and get a Dreambox...wonder can Eurosport be picked up on it? Also have an Android box running Kodi so must look what's available on it.

ITV are broadcasting each stage as well as a highlights each night

But on the Sky platform it's an 'other channel' that can't be recorded easily.

I did see a way to record other channels on the Boards.ie satellite forum a few years back but it's messy, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Anyone know how to record from Kodi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Was hat about races like roubaix, flanders, Milan san remove and the giro. Well done sky....well fu.king done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

That's me gone from Sky so. What a pain in the arse. I get broadband from them as well, will have to go to the hassle of changing TV and Broadband supplier now.

The Eurosport player is grand, but no substitute for having the channel at your fingertips for recording etc..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think Eurosport should respond and refuse to mention any of the Sky riders. That'll learn 'em!!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Anyone know how to record from Kodi?

I wouldn't have thought it necessary to record, should be plenty of "replay" type add ons about.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Looks like Sky will lose another longterm customer. Time to look else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

anyone remember the old BRINGBACKEUROSPORT campaign in the 90s/early 00s?

NTL, or maybe they were still Cablelink at the time, did this exact thing, replacing Eurosport with CSNBC, or whatever that news channel is called.

There was uproar at the time, albeit from the handful of cycling fans that existed back then, and the odd MotoGP fan (had a long chat with a taxi driver who loved his motorbikes - outraged, he was).

The outcome of that campaign was......NOTHING. Sky came along, put Eurosport into their basic package, and everyone disgruntled enough, switched to them.

I'm Virgin Media at the moment (quit Sky about 1.5 years ago). The only thing keeping me going with them is Eurosport. If they follow suit and drop the channels, it'll be saorview and eurosport player for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I think this is just leading up to the inevitable time when sky start bidding for more Tv rights to cycling. Their is no way they will continue to back the biggest and one of the most successful teams and not have it on its platform.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I am soooooo close to cancelling my Sky subscription, Eurosport's was the only thing holding me back. If this goes ahead, Sky will lose another customer.

Same here. I've resisted moves to cheaper tv packages because my priority was having Eurosport. If they drop it I'm gone.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

What companies can I get Eurosport with? Virgin?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Feck, arse, etc!!! :mad:

What are those of us out in the sticks with no access to the cable providers and only fair to middling 'broadband' supposed to do???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

crosstownk wrote: »
    But on the Sky platform it's an 'other channel' that can't be recorded easily.

I did see a way to record other channels on the Boards.ie satellite forum a few years back but it's messy, iirc.

Is there not old fashioned timers available to manually record programmes. That way you can create your own series link but even better add on 10/15 mins to the record time so you don't ever miss the end of a programme because it overran.

The sports rights are becoming very fragmented at the moment. I doubt we will ever see again the vast majority of sports under one provider like Sky had. The push towards people signing up to online content may increase.

A lot of sports are now offering that. The importance of having really good broadband is crucial.

I would only watch the Tour de France generally as it is free to air on ITV4 and their coverage has been excellent.
    Not sure if they do highlights of the other 2 tours.

Is there not old fashioned timers available to manually record programmes. That way you can create your own series link but even better add on 10/15 mins to the record time so you don't ever miss the end of a programme because it overran.

The sports rights are becoming very fragmented at the moment. I doubt we will ever see again the vast majority of sports under one provider like Sky had. The push towards people signing up to online content may increase.

A lot of sports are now offering that. The importance of having really good broadband is crucial.

I would only watch the Tour de France generally as it is free to air on ITV4 and their coverage has been excellent.
    Not sure if they do highlights of the other 2 tours.

Do ITV still have Phil Liggot as their main commentator backed up by Paul Sherwin?

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

TG4 have the tour albeit nothing else. They did show the vuelta one year too. ITV is the other option.

I don't have Eurosport on my Sky Package so obviously won't be missing it.

Bike may yet have more up its sleeve too, and with android and other means I'll find a way

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Will the likes of BIKE have any coverage? Only discovered it a few weeks ago, great free channel.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think this is just leading up to the inevitable time when sky start bidding for more Tv rights to cycling. Their is no way they will continue to back the biggest and one of the most successful teams and not have it on its platform.
    Sky no longer sponsor British Cycling/Team GB and there's every possibility they could pull out of cycling altogether if they are not seeing the return

I can't imagine the rights to cycling events are that expensive and it would have been very easy for them to see off Eurosport if they had so wished

I think there is a risk here that Eurosport will not survive. I also see a possibility of BT buying up a lot of rights as they have already done so in one or two sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

andy69 wrote: »

What channels?...

"In the UK and Ireland, this includes Animal Planet, Discovery HD,  Discovery History, Discovery Home & Health, Discovery Science,  Discovery Shed, Discovery Turbo, DMAX, Eurosport1, Eurosport2,  Investigation Discovery, Quest and TLC."

No more Mountain Monsters either

Advertisement