Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky dropping eurosport?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Don't forget that any recordings you currently have under your Sky subscription will be no longer available once you quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Anyone know how to record from Kodi?

I couldn't find Eurosport on Kodi? I'm not very clued in on the whole thing but it wasn't showing under any of the sports channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

That's really bad news!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Brian? wrote: »
    What companies can I get Eurosport with? Virgin?

Yes Virgin have always had Eurosport 1 and 2. It's one of the main reasons I didn't switch from Virgin a few months back, I love their coverage of the women's cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Bike channel did the highlights from the UCI Santos tour down under I wonder if they will continue with coverage of the tour with highlight programs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Bike channel did the highlights from the UCI Santos tour down under I wonder if they will continue with coverage of the tour with highlight programs?

They didn't last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

If they leave Sky(and a deal could be reached at the last minute still) they'll nearly have to make their channels available online for a small fee
    A setanta Eir sport option perhaps
    Too many viewers to lose and this includes discovery channels
    There might be an option where they provide streaming themselves either

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just phoned Sky and asked if this was true. They confirmed it so I've cancelled my subscription.
    Bye Bye Murdoch..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There is a semi-kodi alternative that is exclusively for live broadcasting. I obviously can't name it but anyone with the Google at their tips should be able to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RobFowl wrote: »
    Just phoned Sky and asked if this was true. They confirmed it so I've cancelled my subscription.
    I can't believe you successfully cancelled Sky in one phone call. Lots of people think they can do that, but those Sky people are so damn persuasive. It took me a couple of goes and I thought I was prepared for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

Melodeon wrote: »
    Feck, arse, etc!!! :mad:

What are those of us out in the sticks with no access to the cable providers and only fair to middling 'broadband' supposed to do???
    i am using my fone as a router, its running a nexus player fine, which has all the uk chanells plus u.s. chanells as well, i got a roku2 last week, i started fiddling with it last night, the legal stuff is running fine, it has most of the uk chanells i did not go looking for any roundabout way to view something, also i did not log on to any of the sports chanells they have, calls texts and data 20 a month with 3

edited to say the tv chanells can be seen live and on demand, i gave my time zone as u.s. pacific time wwhen setting it up as i was not sure if i put in lon/dub would filmon work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Isn't Eurosport/Disney owned by Liberty Global who also have Virgin media?

So is this part of the continuing fallout between sky and virgin?

Edit - sorry . It was the eir sports that Virgin lost.

Not sure where this will end up but maybe a tussle between Liberty Global and Sky/BT for sports rights.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Lumen wrote: »
    I can't believe you successfully cancelled Sky in one phone call. Lots of people think they can do that, but those Sky people are so damn persuasive. It took me a couple of goes and I thought I was prepared for it.

I would imagine it's 30 days and written / email notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Planet X wrote:
    I would imagine it's 30 days and written / email notice.

No, from the time of your phone call once they successfully establish you are the account holder and you confirm you wish to cancel it's 30 days from that point. Had cancelled by phone only to be a rung a day later with a half price deal for 12 months. Couldn't say no.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Bye Bye Murdoch..
    There's a man who's clearly lost his interest in football this season.....

:pac:

there are other ways... damn it I've said too much:eek:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please don't turn this into a discussion on how to break copyright laws. Any questions PM me

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

I'd say there's not a whole lot their retention's department can do to wing their way around on this one though!

as mentioned before I do think it is strange that SKY wont be broadcasting it on there platform when they have one of the biggest teams, I have a feeling that something will be done about that.

They also have a team that a lot of people dislike, and distrust. As beasty said, sky could just drop it. I'd say they'll hang on while Froome is still going but who knows.

Cycling broadcasting is also pretty expensive as far as I'm aware. I recall reading about it. It can be cheap, or even free to licence the broadcast rights but then there is the expectation that you'd cover the broadcast costs.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    They also have a team that a lot of people dislike, and distrust. As beasty said, sky could just drop it. I'd say they'll hang on while Froome is still going but who knows.

Cycling broadcasting is also pretty expensive as far as I'm aware. I recall reading about it. It can be cheap, or even free to licence the broadcast rights but then there is the expectation that you'd cover the broadcast costs.

quick question why does everyone hate (team)sky so much? ..... I also take it sky (service) wont be dropping there prices as quickly as they put them up.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

tell them you're leaving the country. They won't question that.

that's what I did and got it sorted very quickly

There's a thread over in the Sky Ireland forum if anyone wishes to contribute to a discussion with official Sky reps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭billyhead

I watch the highlights programme in the evening on ITV4 with David Miller or Chris Boardman and I cant remember the hosts name. Not sure if thy show the TDF live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Are Eurosport only available on the Virgin package now? I presume the same setup in the uk.

I wonder could we see them put an SD channel on free to air satellite?

Hugd fragmentation now in sports rights. You wonder if some tv company is going to go bust at some stage.

I was reading online that Sky are offereing redundancy packages to some of their chief reporters.

Subscriber numbers are falling apparently. So are profits, though they're still profitae. BT overpaid for champions league, Sky for Premier League in retaliation.

They're fighting a losing battle against streaming sites/aps too I'd think.

Big bubble has to burst, probably not as spectacularly as the itv one about 15 years ago, but people are realising that they don't want to pay a wedge of cash to watch Jamie, Gary and Thierry whinge and moan every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Weepsie wrote: »
    They're fighting a losing battle against streaming sites/aps too I'd think.
    They're fighting a losing battle against continuous partial attention. Why bother watching a football match* if you can watch the goals on Twitter/Youtube?

* the sentence also works fine finishing at this point.

1bryan wrote: »
    tell them you're leaving the country. They won't question that.

that's what I did and got it sorted very quickly

Informing them you're dead definitely works. They have a dedicated team on those calls....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Called Sky yesterday. They tried to convince me I wouldn't be missing out much if Eurosport went, it was hilarious.

However, I was told it was a wait and see situation. It's definitely not over yet. If Eurosport goes, I'm gone. It's not just the cycling, it's the snooker and tennis as well.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Anyone switching to Virgin should be aware of the yearly price increases that they have. Mine went up from 98 to 128 Euro in 3 years and i was always been told it was for the BT sports package plus new channels which i did not even want.
    So when they got rid of the BT package in september, my bill only decreased by 16 Euro and then in december i was hit with a 6 Euro increase. So with all the loss of service i'm only 10 Euro better off.

If it wasn't for my dads inability to use a modern technology i'd have android boxes all over the house. I have an Rbox pro(android 6.1) in 1 room and its great. Never misses a beat or stalls. It costs a bit more than the standard 50 Euro boxes on Adverts but its worth it and the youtube app on it is the best i've seen on any device so its easy to get the highlights of the cycling in good quality.

Advertisement