Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky dropping eurosport?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone switching to Virgin should be aware of the yearly price increases that they have. Mine went up from 98 to 128 Euro in 3 years and i was always been told it was for the BT sports package plus new channels which i did not even want.
    So when they got rid of the BT package in september, my bill only decreased by 16 Euro and then in december i was hit with a 6 Euro increase. So with all the loss of service i'm only 10 Euro better off.

If it wasn't for my dads inability to use a modern technology i'd have android boxes all over the house. I have an Rbox pro(android 6.1) in 1 room and its great. Never misses a beat or stalls. It costs a bit more than the standard 50 Euro boxes on Adverts but its worth it and the youtube app on it is the best i've seen on any device so its easy to get the highlights of the cycling in good quality.

You should look over at Bargain alerts, threatening to leave every time there is a change of conditions usually gets a decent 6 month discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

CramCycle wrote: »
    You should look over at Bargain alerts, threatening to leave every time there is a change of conditions usually gets a decent 6 month discount.

I've done it before and yes they delayed the increase for a few months but in the end you still get a bigger bill.
    I feel this increase is because of all the customers they apparently lost when they didn't renew the BT package which makes it seem even worse to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Are all these channels being removed from astra 28.2 or just sky platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Are all these channels being removed from astra 28.2 or just sky platform?
    Haven't seen anything about them going FTA or whether they even pay for broadcast themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Macy0161 wrote:
    Haven't seen anything about them going FTA or whether they even pay for broadcast themselves.

I understand this is just a game at the moment and may not actually happen but I know plenty of people that this would really annoy. Thanks

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I understand this is just a game at the moment and may not actually happen but I know plenty of people that this would really annoy. Thanks
    Not a hope of it happening, but it would be a game changer, in the face of already falling sky subcribers, if they went FTA (and Freesat) with all the channels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not a hope of it happening, but it would be a game changer, in the face of already falling sky subcribers, if they went FTA (and Freesat) with all the channels!

That's what they said about Virgin Media and BT Sport (which has Champs League, FA Cup, Premier League and Champions Cup Rugby) and look what happened there so I reckon it is more likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

That's what they said about Virgin Media and BT Sport (which has Champs League, FA Cup, Premier League and Champions Cup Rugby) and look what happened there so I reckon it is more likely to happen.

Bt sports is not fta

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We still need to see what 1 February brings. There is definitely a massive fight going on between BT and Sky and if the former can get something like Discovery onboard that could help them significantly. Likewise I'm sure Sky really don't want to lose it, but both organisations are having to justify some ridiculous spending on Football which is starting to count against other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Bt sports is not fta

Ooops I read the post wrong, I thought that it said that there is not a hope of Sky stopping showing Discovery stations. Apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 tanni1930

Sky showing disdain for their customers yet again. I have been with them for 20 years and I pay over 150 euros a month for the complete package. My wife mainly watches tennis on eurosport and I am definitely thinking of cancelling my sky subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Daroxtar wrote:
    Anyone know how to record from Kodi?

You don't record from kodi. It's downloading you need to look up. Try Google how to download "your channel name here". You should find out how to set it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

We cancelled our UPC/Virgin contract over a year ago now. Since then I've been using the Eurosport App and it works fine for me. I'm quite happy with our decision to go FTA/Saorview and would recommend it. In fact, with the money I've saved i'm thinking of upgrading to a full motorised Satellite setup so i can get German Eurosport!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

as mentioned before I do think it is strange that SKY wont be broadcasting it on there platform when they have one of the biggest teams, I have a feeling that something will be done about that.

SKY don't care. Their core sports are Soccer, Cricket and Golf. Add Darts and Rugby as secondary. SKY sponsorship of cycling is a branding exercise - not an endorsement of cycling. It increases awareness of their brand in their European markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

billyhead wrote: »
    I watch the highlights programme in the evening on ITV4 with David Miller or Chris Boardman and I cant remember the hosts name. Not sure if thy show the TDF live though.

His name is Ned Boulting. ITV 4 do every stage of the TDF live. Highlights on plus one at 8 means I can get a cycle in. Otherwise it's move the dish to 19.2 and pick up German Eurosport for free. Simple to do (but my dish is a soft install so I can move it no hassle)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    SKY don't care. Their core sports are Soccer, Cricket and Golf. Add Darts and Rugby as secondary. SKY sponsorship of cycling is a branding exercise - not an endorsement of cycling. It increases awareness of their brand in their European markets.
    It gave them massive exposure in the UK, although I think it's telling that they bare no longer sponsoring Team GB. They probably think they have gone as far as they can on that front and I do wonder how long they will stick with sponsoring a World Tour Team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Beasty wrote: »
    It gave them massive exposure in the UK, although I think it's telling that they bare no longer sponsoring Team GB. They probably think they have gone as far as they can on that front and I do wonder how long they will stick with sponsoring a World Tour Team.

I would guess that once Froome is not competing they will look for a way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JimSmash

I just phoned Sky to see what they had to say and was told that they were the only ones currently providing Eurosport in Ireland. Argued this with them and eventually was offered a whopping 5e off my monthly subscription.

I had Eurosport Player before and it was a bit of a pain. I think I'll just switch to Virgin as I mainly have the telly for cycling anyway. Will wait until the 1st Feb to see what happens.

I'd imagine this doesn't bode well for Team Sky's sponsorship, if Sky are willing to let the only cycling channel go...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

JimSmash wrote: »
    I just phoned Sky to see what they had to say and was told that they were the only ones currently providing Eurosport in Ireland. Argued this with them and eventually was offered a whopping 5e off my monthly subscription.

Are they the only ones offering Eurosport in HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Malari wrote: »
    Are they the only ones offering Eurosport in HD?

No, Virgin Media offer Eurosport 1&2 in HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 grainne whale

ADW1 wrote: »
    Looks like Sky will lose another longterm customer. Time to look else where.
    Yes I'll be cancelling my Sky subscription as well as I only switched to Sky because they had Eurosport 1& 2, they cover quite a bit of tennis.

I'd say again, have a look at the player. The only irritations I've had with it have been on the xbox app, not the Android App or Desktop. Admittedly, it was an upgrade from how I got my coverage before, but I don't think the player is bad enough to justify a TV package subscription just for eurosport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You can pay for a Subscription on android with your call credit. However it only offers it monthly and at 6.99 PM and you're restricted to Android devices however. Not a major issue if you can cast etc.

This might work for me as I'm PAYG and with unlimted data, texts etc and a top up every 30 days I can build up a fair chunk of credit quickly. I'll be subscribing to Strava for the year through it, and would certainly consider this as an option if it offered more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

i emailed them today, my present contract ended on 20/1/17, i gave notice to terminate my contract on 31/3/2017, i will report back when they ring me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Thud

Any delay getting Virgin out to install? Switched to sky a few years back because UPC customer service on the TV side was terrible (broadband was fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭nailik

I'm going to cancel my Sky subscription if they drop Eurosport. Only problem is the missus likes Sky Atlantic. Anyone know if Virgin carry it or if there's any way of getting it without a Sky subscription?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had Sky, Eircom and Virgin out for installs. A large number of them appear to like to stand outside my house and piss into the wind for about two hours and then leave. Eircom were the worst, Sky at least only relied on Eircom so can't completely bad mouth them. Virgin lost my account, had two different engineers call out to say the job was not possible only for the day after that conversation a third one wake me at 7am as he installed the line. precisely in the place where i had told the first two there were service tunnels laid down to make their job easier.

I would only use any of them for broadband as I need it, TV is satellite/freeview and is more than enough, everything else is streamable or downloadable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

nailik wrote: »
    I'm going to cancel my Sky subscription if they drop Eurosport. Only problem is the missus likes Sky Atlantic. Anyone know if Virgin carry it or if there's any way of getting it without a Sky subscription?

Virgin don't carry Sky Atlantic. It is one of the premium channels that Sky reserve for their own customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Senecio wrote: »
    Virgin don't carry Sky Atlantic. It is one of the premium channels that Sky reserve for their own customers.

Oh good Point, if I cancel my Sky for Virgin to get Eurosport then I'll miss game of thrones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Macy0161 wrote: »
    , but I don't think the player is bad enough to justify a TV package subscription just for eurosport.

One thing is though, when you split the package and just take the broadband its quite dear. You'd easily pay 45 or 50 quid for BB alone, then another 7 for eurosport and for another 20 quid really you have the full TV pack as well on a bundle. So the saving isn't huge. But I guess it adds up over the course of a year

Advertisement