Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a kitten

• 25-01-2017 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I'm wondering does anyone in Limerick have any kittens, myself and the other half are looking to take one in , I would have posted in the animal forum but I was hoping I'd find someone more local on here

I don't want to go through the animal welfare places because of the whole coming out and checking your house rigmarole they put you through , Kitten will be well looked after we already have 2 house dogs who love cats

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Adverts.ie,Donedeal etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I would really call a house check for a pet adoption a rigmarole - its just the responsible thing for them to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We got two kittens a few years ago from animal welfare, there weren't any home visits, they also come vacinated & nuetered, think they were €70 at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Parchment wrote: »
    I would really call a house check for a pet adoption a rigmarole - its just the responsible thing for them to do.

True but I'm just afraid they'd take one look at our two dogs and small house and tell us where to go. I've never had a kitten off one of the rescues our family's down through the years always seemed to have kittens or knew someone who had them

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I haven't heard of home visits for cats but have heard of rescues refusing adoptions if near a very busy road.

The home visits for dogs are mainly to check if the back garden is enclosed.

• Advertisement

I messaged Limerick Feral Cats last week and this is the message I got back

Our kittens are rehomed in pairs unless there is an indoor cat already in the home. We do a homecheck for all cats. You need to be away from busy roads. Our kittens are indoor kittens and can have access to a garden a couple of hours a day to play. Adoption fee is 50 euro per kitten

So basically they don't give out single kittens and want 100 quid.....Like my house is small just about big enough for one indoor cat aswell as my dogs so this kind of stuff doesn't really work for me. obviously I know there neutered and stuff but I'll be getting this stuff done anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,286 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A pure white kitten showed up on my door step on xmas day.
    Must have been a present that got away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

True but I'm just afraid they'd take one look at our two dogs and small house and tell us where to go. I've never had a kitten off one of the rescues our family's down through the years always seemed to have kittens or knew someone who had them

I highly doubt it - many cats and dogs live happily together. You dont seem to have a very positive view of these organisations.

Limerick Feral cats have taken most of their kittens/cats from bad situations and vaccinated/neutered the kittens, socialized them and they are also running a group that cares for and feeds feral cats - thats why its 50e. I dont think thats unreasonable.

Also i dont think the house check is unreasonable - they have taken the time to care for these kittens, the dont want to send them to a home where the kittens have a high chance of being knocked down. That would negate all their hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Surely many ISPCA rescue centres are offering kittens and older cats free to a good home. In my own small town which is not far from Limerick they always have a good supply available for adoption. All they ask is for you to make a small donation to the ISPCA.

Where is that deftlefthand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Parchment wrote: »
    I highly doubt it - many cats and dogs live happily together. You dont seem to have a very positive view of these organisations.

Limerick Feral cats have taken most of their kittens/cats from bad situations and vaccinated/neutered the kittens, socialized them and they are also running a group that cares for and feeds feral cats - thats why its 50e. I dont think thats unreasonable.

Also i dont think the house check is unreasonable - they have taken the time to care for these kittens, the dont want to send them to a home where the kittens have a high chance of being knocked down. That would negate all their hard work.

Let me make it clear I have no problem at all with these places they do fantastic work and that shouldn't be taken for granted LAW especially, and LAW charge 80 the last time i checked not sure if you have to take 2 from them aswell, but my problem is I can only take 1

So have someone coming to check my house for suitability tomorow anyone have any idea what they actually check like will they need to see every room in the house or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Limerick animal welfare will allow you to take 1 and they don't do house checks for cats.

Advertisement