Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

battery poor

• 25-01-2017 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Just picked up majestic 400 moped seller mentioned no harm to leave on hazards as I brought it home on a trailer..Just serviced ..No kick start like older moped....Seems like loads of power initially ..Then just won't start ..Dash lights up and seems to do some sort of self check...Can you use car to bike jump leads to start it ..Don't want to damage it ...Day 1 !! Any other suggestions ..Lights come all seems to work when I switch on ...Was driven to trailer by guy ok..Seems to be giving a bit more after a few tries hoping will start in morning
    Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Sounds like there's not enough juice in the battery to turn it over. Not advisable to jump it off of a car battery. Pretty sure you can't bump start a scooter either as there nearly all automatic? Try it again in the morning and if no joy either charge it using a bike battery specific charger or get a new battery for it I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sounds like there's not enough juice in the battery to turn it over. Not advisable to jump it off of a car battery. Pretty sure you can't bump start a scooter either as there nearly all automatic? Try it again in the morning and if no joy either charge it using a bike battery specific charger or get a new battery for it I'd say.

If you don't have a bike charger you can charge from a car battery but I'd disconnect the bike battery, leave the car running for 20 minutes and it should give enough juice to start the bike. Definitely do not jump start it. You'll have to take the bike for a good half hour spin to recharge the battery once you get it going or else you'll have not enough power in the battery to start it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Nah. Just hook up the jump leads to the car battery. No need to disconnect anything if you just want to jump-start it . You don't even need to start the car.

Just be careful not to short the leads against the bike frame if access is tight. I put some inner tube around the clamps.
    Hazards are surprising draining on a bike battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

If you happen to have an autofactors close I'd take the battery out and ask them to check it. Good chance it just needs to be charged but better to know than have the same problem twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Bought a trickle charger all well now many thanks paddy

• Advertisement
Advertisement