Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application to build a Lidl in Douglas village

Options
  • 26-01-2017 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

A planning application to build a Lidl in Barry's Field Douglas has been submitted.
    That's the field bounded by the Old Carraigline Road, Churchyard lane and the graveyard.

Examiner article here. Just a brief mention:
    "The plans are for a two-acre site in Douglas East, at Barry’s Field, between Carrigaline Road and Churchyard Lane. Lidl Ireland is seeking permission from Cork County Council for the 1,690-square-metre supermarket, with staff facilities and office in a partial second-storey building.
    A provision for parking for 110 cars is also proposed, with the entrance for motorists from the one-way Carrigaline Road and access from Churchyard Lane for pedestrians, also."

The application should be available online from the County Council website but it seems to require the download of a dedicated vewing application.

Note: It's County Council territory but I thought this information would be more relevant to City "readers".

Yet more traffic for Douglas, and this time the Main Street will take the brunt of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I wonder will Cork County Council see beyond the rates income here?

It is going to create a lot of traffic in that part of the village.
    I must say how that field was not built on during the Celtic tiger years is a mystery.

Which retailer was it that wanted to build in the Cinema site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Yet more traffic for Douglas, and this time the Main Street will take the brunt of it.

pity because the main street has become nice and quiet since the road alongside the Douglas Village SC was built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Great! I really hope they get it. That's the empty field behind the graveyard I think.. near st lukes school and behind eco's. I like the fresh bread section they have in the Lidls, Aldi's bread is really crappy. 
    The nearest lidl around the city is where.... togher? There's one on Cornmarket street in the city center and another one in Ballyvolane. Is there another one somewhere? 
    Aldi have shops in Mahon, Douglas, Ballphehane and the Elysian in town, 2 more in ballincollig, 1 in mayfield and maybe blackpool as well?
    Hope they think about bus routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

pwurple wrote: »
    Great! I really hope they get it. That's the empty field behind the graveyard I think.. near st lukes school and behind eco's. I like the fresh bread section they have in the Lidls, Aldi's bread is really crappy.
    The nearest lidl around the city is where.... togher? There's one on Cornmarket street in the city center and another one in Ballyvolane. Is there another one somewhere?
    Aldi have shops in Mahon, Douglas, Ballphehane and the Elysian in town, 2 more in ballincollig, 1 in mayfield and maybe blackpool as well?

You should see the development on their churchfield site, well holy god it's some size. far bigger than its predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Lidl are in Carrigaline
    This would be a traffice nightmare if allowed to go ahead. 40 ft Trucks delivering on a 1 way street. where will the exit?

• Advertisement

Era they deliver at 5am, 6am etc, not peak times. The world won't end if there's a truck going through douglas at 5am.  I'll have a look at the planning application later, see what the access routes planned are. They might be changing the entrances

Era they deliver at 5am, 6am etc, not peak times. The world won't end if there's a truck going through douglas at 5am. I'll have a look at the planning application later, see what the access routes planned are. They might be changing the entrances
    Trucks reversing at that hour might be an issue.

When I was delivering to Dunnes in Ballincollig they were so inundated with complaints of trucks reversing they had to push the delivery times back by 2 hours.

This place will be worse.

Era they deliver at 5am, 6am etc, not peak times. The world won't end if there's a truck going through douglas at 5am. I'll have a look at the planning application later, see what the access routes planned are. They might be changing the entrances

Problem is they dont deliver at 5,6am
    TKMax case in point, have you ever seen that truck in the morning next to Palmento?
    Also the county councils feck up of the road approaching barrys...left, right.....footpaths are wider than the road

Yes, concerns are sensible, but maybe hold off on writing it off wholesale until actually looking at the plans? 
    From what I remember of the previous plan they submitted, there were 3 separate entrances, and something about demolishing one of the houses and making that a large entrance, does anyone else remember? The new plans are available online, but you have to install the viewer. I'll see if I can grab a few screenshots and will stick them here when I get a chance to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

That application was up at least 2 months ago, then the sign vanished and reappeared about 3 weeks ago. I was wondering what was going on!

• Advertisement

If you remember Dino has applied for a drivethrough also across from that. (large house on its own) Taking away 1 or 2 of the house on tramway terrace as an entrance.

Anyone know what is being built beside the roundabout near the tesco drive through?

kingtut wrote: »
    Anyone know what is being built beside the roundabout near the tesco drive through?

KFC near Mcdonalds...that the roundabout you are on about?

Dbu wrote: »
    KFC near Mcdonalds...that the roundabout you are on about?

Yup thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Gotta love their timing......means Tesco will get another Christmas without Lidl competition

Gotta love their timing......means Tesco will get another Christmas without Lidl competition

All part of the plan no doubt!

They succeeded in stopping a Lidl or Aldi up the country though!

What is the general opinion of Douglas residents?

For or Against?

For or Against?

Absolutely crazy decision. cant wait to see artic delivery trucks go down that one way tiny street. Buses struggle at the best of times

For or Against?

If it goes ahead (which I think it will), I'll be equi distant from Aldi Blackrock and the new Lidl Douglas. I think it will be well used. For tesco to appeal on the basis that it will 'under utilise' the space is a bit of a joke bearing in mind a lot of people aren't even aware the field exists.

Absolutely crazy decision. cant wait to see artic delivery trucks go down that one way tiny street. Buses struggle at the best of times

Is it the lane down the side of the church where the graveyard and Eircom building are located?

• Advertisement

If it goes ahead (which I think it will), I'll be equi distant from Aldi Blackrock and the new Lidl Douglas. I think it will be well used. For tesco to appeal on the basis that it will 'under utilise' the space is a bit of a joke bearing in mind a lot of people aren't even aware the field exists.

I think i might be in that category.

Not using Church Lane, new road going in from the Carrigaline Road with upgrades to the Fingerpost Roundabout.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/New-Lidl-will-be-built-in-heart-of-Douglas-e1718910-524c-4326-9774-08c1c126537c-ds

Is it the lane down the side of the church where the graveyard and Eircom building are located?

No, the one way street coming from the old carrigaline road. Its the one with the chicanes as you head to barrys pub

Not using Church Lane, new road going in from the Carrigaline Road with upgrades to the Fingerpost Roundabout.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/New-Lidl-will-be-built-in-heart-of-Douglas-e1718910-524c-4326-9774-08c1c126537c-ds

New Road? where?

No, the one way street coming from the old carrigaline road. Its the one with the chicanes as you head to barrys pub

Oh for the love of fcuking christ :eek:

New Road? where?

Brand new road - part of the conditions

Primary vehicular and pedestrian access to the proposed new Licenced Discount Foodstore development will be provided via a new site entrance from the Carrigaline Road; Secondary pedestrian access to the proposed new Licenced Discount Foodstore development will be provided via a new dedicated pedestrian site entrance from the Churchyard Lane;

http://maps.corkcoco.ie/planningenquiryv3/MainFrames.aspx

Brand new road - part of the conditions

Primary vehicular and pedestrian access to the proposed new Licenced Discount Foodstore development will be provided via a new site entrance from the Carrigaline Road; Secondary pedestrian access to the proposed new Licenced Discount Foodstore development will be provided via a new dedicated pedestrian site entrance from the Churchyard Lane;

http://maps.corkcoco.ie/planningenquiryv3/MainFrames.aspx

Its not a new road, impossible to create one there. Graveyard on 1 side and offices on the other.
    Its just a new entrance.

Oh for the love of fcuking christ :eek:

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

how many brown envelopes did that cost?

Advertisement