Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

adox wrote: »
    You can post whatever you want about any player you want but you will be questioned over it and disagreed with from opposing views.

You should take your own advice there.
    Your defence of Rooney earlier in the season was blind loyalty to the player he once was and was boardering on laughable at one stage where you kept bringing him up when he wasn't being discussed.

My defence of Rooney was as I outlined above, not "blind loyalty". I think the relentless witch hunt against Rooney in this thread was bordering on laughable to be honest, as was the clown who actually took time to put clips of his mistakes against Watford into a video, or those who'd lose the plot if Rooney misplaced a pass but didn't really mind when Pogba or Ibrahimovic missed sitters. Rooney was more often than not discussed in this thread earlier in the season so I really don't know where this narrative that I'm the one that always brought him up came from. If I did bring him up, it was probably just to highlight the hypocrisy and folly of people's opinions and assessments of players they like compared to players they don't. I'm not the one who made a thread or video about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    That's not acceptable at all and in fairness if you see that you should be reporting the post.. I haven't seen anyone call him that.. care to back it up?

post 4657

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

RobertKK wrote: »
    People need to breathe, today's result is what a lot of the top 6 bar Chelsea have been doing all season - getting some strange results.

But we're the only team in the top 6 who have actually lost or drawn more than we've won at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    That's not acceptable at all and in fairness if you see that you should be reporting the post.. I haven't seen anyone call him that.. care to back it up?

He is telling truth to be fair was said earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ten draws ffs.

These where mostly games we have dominated as well so wasn't even case of a well earned point.

We have been given many many chances to be well up the table at this stage yet where still in poxy 6th.

Such a long unbeaten run means nothing when your dropping points against the Stokes Burnleys and Bournemouth s of the world.

Where a team with a lot of potential to be great but right now where just not good enough simple as.

A lot of ordinary or past it players to be rid of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You should take your own advice there

How exactly?
    I've no problem with people disagreeing with me or replying to those who do. When you put an opinion out there expect it to be challenged if disagreed with. I do expect that and try to reply so don't see how I can take my own advice.

You obviously took exception to something with your childish "unofficial thread police" hence my post saying don't post if you don't want it scrutinised or challenged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Ten draws ffs.
    A lot of ordinary or past it players to be rid of.
    The other issue is the finishing of players that are neither ordinary or past it.
    Ibrahimovic missed a spotter, but was able to put two chances on a plate for Pogba late on and he lacked the composure to finish either. Any one of those three chances is taken and its 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

J. Marston wrote: »
    But we're the only team in the top 6 who have actually lost or drawn more than we've won at home.

We should look forward to away fixtures :p

But seriously, I said it before in this thread and I will say it again, too many draws have ruined our league campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RobertKK wrote: »
    We should look forward to away fixtures :p

But seriously, I said it before in this thread and I will say it again, too many draws have ruined our league campaign.

I remember Inter Milan drawing a ****load of games a few seasons back,Id say we must be getting close to them at this stage for the amount of draws in a season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

How exactly?
    I've no problem with people disagreeing with me or replying to those who do. When you put an opinion out there expect it to be challenged if disagreed with. I do expect that and try to reply so don't see how I can take my own advice.

You seemed to take issue with Bangkok's stance on Fellaini and Pogba and you seemed to have a problem with the fact that he hasn't criticised Pogba all season, as if it was necessary for him to do so.
    You obviously took exception to something with your childish "unofficial thread police" hence my post saying don't post if you don't want it scrutinised or challenged.

I took exception to you needlessly mentioning me in your post and labeling my opinions as blind loyalty because, like Bangkok's today, they didn't conform with the status quo in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You seemed to take issue with Bangkok's stance on Fellaini and Pogba and you seemed to have a problem with the fact that he hasn't criticised Pogba all season, as if it was necessary for him to do so.

I took exception to you needlessly mentioning me in your post and labeling my opinions as blind loyalty because, like Bangkok's today, they didn't conform with the status quo in this thread.

Well look I mentioned you as his blind loyalty to certain players reminded me of you earlier in the season. As for him not criticising Pogba at all this season well, he posts on here a lot, posts about most matches so it's bizzare not to criticise a player at all, much like his relutance to praise Fellaini at all and go out of his way to criticise him. It makes me think he has a blind spot for certain players or is purposely posting nonsense for the sake of it
    I still don't see how it's relevant to me taking my own advice?

Your status quo comment is just more waffle that means nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Look its a forum where we differ in opinions.

People have the right to put it here, but I think some people find it hard to admit when they are wrong or if a player plays good or bad against their past argument.

I get sense that certain posters are actually happy to see United players play poor as it suits their agenda.

Really no shame in been wrong from time to time. Ffs I thought United should have sold Giggs back around 2002. Look how tick I was!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Is the baby still out with the bath water or is it safe to come out now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You could see Jose today screaming at the players to go wide where we had space and losing the plot as they instead went central into congestion and made it easy for Bournemouth. Anytime we went wide we had overlaps and space to attack but for some reason the players thought they were too clever for their own good and ignored the tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Well look I mentioned you as his blind loyalty to certain players reminded me of you earlier in the season. As for him not criticising Pogba at all this season well, he posts on here a lot, posts about most matches so it's bizzare not to criticise a player at all, much like his relutance to praise Fellaini at all and go out of his way to criticise him. It makes me think he has a blind spot for certain players or is purposely posting nonsense for the sake of it
    I still don't see how it's relevant to me taking my own advice?

Your status quo comment is just more waffle that means nothing.

pogba was poor against liverpool, poor v chelsea away, not great today but certainly not rubbish, but he has already shown more than enough that he is going to be an unbelievable player for us.

zlatan was awful today but nothing about it, but both pogba and zlatan have been good most of the season so i give them the benefit of the doubt, everyone can have an off day.

fellaini was awful in his first season, didnt even score 1 goal all season and was terrible most games he played. he had a decent 2nd season under van gaal and went on a run of 3-4 games where he was very good, but last season and again this year there have been more times where is has been bad than good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Very disappointing result today, everytime we get a chance to move in to top 4, we blow it. Given the money we've spent and the likelihood we won't spend any way near this in the summer i would n't put much money on a title push next season under jose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

votecounts wrote: »
    Very disappointing result today, everytime we get a chance to move in to top 4, we blow it. Given the money we've spent and the likelihood we won't spend any way near this in the summer i would n't put much money on a title push next season under jose.

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

The spending will continue. Would say you'll see another 150m easy in the summer....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I can't remember a day in the last 10 years that I walked out of OT with such a feeling of frustration.
    There's a rot there, it's no coincidence we have drawn so many games at home, today was another one but probably the biggest calamity of the season in that regard.
    Does Zlatan really have to play every minute of every game he plays, have we no plan B to replace him or is Jose afraid of a fly kick? We have been far too loyal as a club to a few long standing players and what was blatantly obvious was the lack of leadership in the last 20 minutes. So it's left to Pogba and he folded - the only one who tried and was positive was Feillaini in that time.
    Went 1-0 up in this game and got lazy and complacent and dropped 2 points again. Infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

kstand wrote: »
    I can't remember a day in the last 10 years that I walked out of OT with such a feeling of frustration.
    There's a rot there, it's no coincidence we have drawn so many games at home, today was another one but probably the biggest calamity of the season in that regard.
    Does Zlatan really have to play every minute of every game he plays, have we no plan B to replace him or is Jose afraid of a fly kick? We have been far too loyal as a club to a few long standing players and what was blatantly obvious was the lack of leadership in the last 20 minutes. So it's left to Pogba and he folded - the only one who tried and was positive was Feillaini in that time.
    Went 1-0 up in this game and got lazy and complacent and dropped 2 points again. Infuriating.

Over reaction much? How did you watch Moyes team get to the byline 1000 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Over reaction much? How did you watch Moyes team get to the byline 1000 teams.

That was frustration at the fact he was appointed - this was with the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I remember being this angry over a match during LVG's reign when we lost 2-0 vs Stoke away over the Xmas and we could all see beforehand we were shocking and we where gona lose. Like I predicted a 2-0 loss to my friends but when The outcome happened it drove me crazy.

Yesterday was completely different in the fact that we were on such a high and I honestly didn't think we had another one of these 50 attempts on target games where we still draw. It's such an awful let down. Stupid mistakes and bad luck have plagued our season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Reports that Utd are in for Eric Dier for 35m Sterling as Michael Carricks replacement......would have to say I would find that an underwhelming signing especially when you consider that Chelsea got a better player in Kante for less money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

We will be one point off 4th assuming City and Spurs win today with over 10 games left.

We still have to play Arsenal. We are still well in the hunt.

Reports that Utd are in for Eric Dier for 35m Sterling as Michael Carricks replacement......would have to say I would find that an underwhelming signing especially when you consider that Chelsea got a better player in Kante for less money.

Kante can not be a yard stick for signings he had a buy out clause didn't he? Chances like that come along once in a while....

But I do agree I wouldn't be a massive fan of Dier but he is still pretty young and has potential to mature just like Carrick did if he is signed with long term in mind.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    We will be one point off 4th assuming City and Spurs win today with over 10 games left.

We still have to play Arsenal. We are still well in the hunt.

Thats assuming we win our game in hand vs city.. Far from guaranteed but yes we are still bang in the hunt the only negative is we should of been using games like yesterday as points gained because in April and may we have so many games we will fir sure drop points and they could be against the likes of city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

jayo26 wrote: »
    Thats assuming we win our game in hand vs city.. Far from guaranteed but yes we are still bang in the hunt the only negative is we should of been using games like yesterday as points gained because in April and may we have so many games we will fir sure drop points and they could be against the likes of city.

Yep - yesterday wasn't just two points dropped, it was two easy points the team needed to build up a buffer. United last 5-6 games are horrific - almost all away games against top half opposition. United cant be in a position where they are just 1 point off 4th going into those games because the team *will* drop points in those last 5-6 games.

I didn't see anything in yesterdays performance that makes me think that team has the strength to pick up full points from the last 5-6 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

When is the City game due to be played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think its apt he would be replacing Carrick, who was another underwhelming signing when he arrived but didn't do too badly in the end.

I think he would be a good signing personally, especially at a 35m pricepoint. Talk of Dier puzzles me in one way though, if people talk of him as underwhelming do they think he is the finished article? Because at 23 he is the same age as Pogba, surely he gets the "one for the future" excuses that Pogba gets? And of course people talk of Kante as the real deal but he is only 2 years older.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I'd prefer to be spending that £35m in an attempt to sign Wanyama or someone of his ilk. He's only 2 years older than Dier, and is IMO one of the key reasons Spurs are so good defensively. A player like Wanyama would be perfect to get the best out of Pogba and Herrera.

As it stands, Pogbas best attributes are being wasted when he's asked to play deeper. He doesn't have the discipline or the positional awareness to do the job properly. Herrera is marginally better than him in the deeper role but both players are far better suited a little further up the field.

I don't think Dier would be as good a fit for us as Wanyama would.

• Advertisement

Harry bloody kane

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Would love Harry Kane at United.

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Harry bloody kane

Meh,
    We are probably better off they win the rate we are going.
    Everton result wouldn't be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Said it in the match thread.. the keeper really should be saving that.. Robles in not a good enough keeper for a Premiership team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Great goal from Kane but the goalkeeper was muck. They'll be buying Joe Hart in the Summer.

That absolutely ridiculous handshake with Alli needs to stop right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Meh,
    We are probably better off they win the rate we are going.
    Everton result wouldn't be good!
    Why would be an Everton result be bad? Are they seen as legitimate top 4 contenders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Schneiderlin messing up big time for Kane's second goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I think this is the 3rd season in a row that Kane will hit 20+ goals and some wonder if he's United quality. Rooney only got 20+ twice in his whole United career.
    Signing him would cost an arm,a leg and a kidney too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Schneiderlin messing up big time for Kane's second goal

I'd be looking at the keeper more than him or Williams ,absolutely no need to play the ball out to them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Only positive on that spurs win was my friend was waiting on them for a win and btts accumulator for an €8200 win

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Something people will need to consider....we're going to be lacking homegrown and English players if Rooney, Carrick and Young go, especially when there's question marks over Shaw (and possibly Smalling) as well.

We've got what; Rashford, Pogba (?), Lingard, Jones...anyone else? We're probably going to want at least one English player, and tbh, Dier would be a good one imo. There's not a wealth of good English talent out there, but Dier would be high up the list....
    zerks wrote: »
    I think this is the 3rd season in a row that Kane will hit 20+ goals and some wonder if he's United quality. Rooney only got 20+ twice in his whole United career.
    Signing him would cost an arm,a leg and a kidney too though.

£120m easily.
    I'd love him but he'd be so, so costly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Who would people prefer in the summer? Antoine Griezmann OR Harry Kane?

I'd go Griezmann as he's more gettable, whereas with Spurs and trying to tempt Kane away, Daniel Levy isn't exactly the easiest person to negotiate with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Who would people prefer in the summer? Antoine Griezmann OR Harry Kane?

I'd go Griezmann as he's more gettable, whereas with Spurs and trying to tempt Kane away, Daniel Levy isn't exactly the easiest person to negotiate with.

How about both ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Kane, by a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I wonder if barca go for pocetino( I know its spelt wrong) would that create trouble for spurs, Kane would be around 85 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't want to pick on Pogba, I think there are others who should be getting far more criticism for that crap yesterday but the Dier and Kane talk just highlights something that I hate hearing with regards to Pogba, and thats the excuse that he is still only 23 and still developing. That despite spending nearly £90m on him we should not have been expecting the finished article.

Harry Kane is younger than Pogba. So is Dier. If Kane arrived would we expect him to be nothing but bog standard average because he is only 23? Like hell we would, we would be expecting goals and performances in line with the money we paid for him. And we should be expecting the same from Pogba who has far more experience and played in far bigger games than Kane ever has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hococop wrote: »
    I wonder if barca go for pocetino( I know its spelt wrong) would that create trouble for spurs, Kane would be around 85 million

Barca won't go for Poch, he is ex espanyol.. the fans would have none of it

Don't want to pick on Pogba, I think there are others who should be getting far more criticism for that crap yesterday but the Dier and Kane talk just highlights something that I hate hearing with regards to Pogba, and thats the excuse that he is still only 23 and still developing. That despite spending nearly £90m on him we should not have been expecting the finished article.

Harry Kane is younger than Pogba. So is Dier. If Kane arrived would we expect him to be nothing but bog standard average because he is only 23? Like hell we would, we would be expecting goals and performances in line with the money we paid for him. And we should be expecting the same from Pogba who has far more experience and played in far bigger games than Kane ever has.

I genuinely don't think the team is setup properly for pogba he is trying to do too much of his normal game from deeper in midfield and I think Jose knows this too and it will be fixed over the summer.

At times pogba as you say has been bang average this year but he has has also been sublime with his range of passing and some of his shots on goal ect. That's why I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and If jose builds the midfield around pogba over summer it will change bills if he is still been asked to cover deeper positions I can't see much improvement.

Januzaj having a busy game keeping city occupied for a bit.

I think with the games we have ahead of us and what we seem to be doing its going to be a straight up fight with arsenal and pool for 4th spot been realistic. City and Spurs have pulled ahead of us this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Question if we get to the Europa league final and face the likes of Roma who will be already qualified for the CL next season. Do you utd get the CL spot even if we lose?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement