Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Its nearly 2 days and I'm still annoyed,

Stoke
    Burnley
    Hull
    Bournemouth
    Arsenal

All what should have been wins if we had our finishing boots but easy to say that, away in Russia next and away to Chelsea in the fa cup, 2 bad games and knowing the way we are will probably win both after that weekend result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Hococop wrote: »
    Its nearly 2 days and I'm still annoyed,

Stoke
    Burnley
    Hull
    Bournemouth
    Arsenal

All what should have been wins if we had our finishing boots but easy to say that, away in Russia next and away to Chelsea in the fa cup, 2 bad games and knowing the way we are will probably win both after that weekend result

I got over it fairly quickly. I mean, it's not like we're not used to it.
    Opportunity after opportunity presents itself and it's passed up every time.

I've accepted that it will be 5th or 6th. Throw everything at the Europa now at this stage.

• I just spotted the most depressing stat, 98 attempts with 2 on target at home to Stoke, Burnley, Hull & Bournemouth this season
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Win the Europa and league position doesn't matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TheDoctor wrote: »

I do agree Europa is our best chance now, but I'd be reluctant to think its going to be an easy path, for two reasons.

1. There's still plenty of good teams left in the competition.
    2. One bad game and its over, and we've had our fair share of bad games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Id be wary of the going only for the europa liverpool had a bad 10 -15 minutes after half time in the final and it was gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

watched most of the bournemouth game again... for all those who said Pogba was shocking etc etc he actually wasnt.

he created 3 chances, 1 super ball to mata, 1 super ball to rooney, put ibra in 1 on 1 with keeper, he won 2 free kicks on edge of box, he went through 1 on 1 with boruc only for a great save denied him, he also had a great 30 yard effort tipped over the bar for a corner and he had a great chance to win it near the end at which point people needed someone to blame so he was the obvious choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ive said my piece on Pogba and stand by it. He was awful overall. Nothing to do with looking for someone to blame or judging it on a late miss by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I just spotted the most depressing stat, 98 attempts with 2 on target at home to Stoke, Burnley, Hull & Bournemouth this season
    Huh? What exactly is the stat?

Ah wait. I assume it's 98 attempts with only 2 converted into goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

adox wrote: »
    Ive said my piece on Pogba and stand by it. He was awful overall. Nothing to do with looking for someone to blame or judging it on a late miss by him.

I think he was poor and far off being a £90 million investment in midfield, but I also think that at least he was involved and getting on the ball, there are a few other passengers on the pitch that deserve far more criticism for that result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

bangkok wrote: »
    watched most of the bournemouth game again... for all those who said Pogba was shocking etc etc he actually wasnt.

he created 3 chances, 1 super ball to mata, 1 super ball to rooney, put ibra in 1 on 1 with keeper, he won 2 free kicks on edge of box, he went through 1 on 1 with boruc only for a great save denied him, he also had a great 30 yard effort tipped over the bar for a corner and he had a great chance to win it near the end at which point people needed someone to blame so he was the obvious choice
    He was awful, particularly in the last 15 minutes when the team needed a leader. Instead of defending him you should be demanding a whole lot better.

I just spotted the most depressing stat, 98 attempts with 2 on target at home to Stoke, Burnley, Hull & Bournemouth this season

that cant be right surely, I mean we scored and had a peno saved via Bouremouth didnt the goalie save from Pobga as well one or twice in that game alone?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think he was poor and far off being a £90 million investment in midfield, but I also think that at least he was involved and getting on the ball, there are a few other passengers on the pitch that deserve far more criticism for that result.

Would agree with this. He made some higher profile mistakes so took blame, but there were several players who did absolutely nothing for the entire match. I love Mata, for instance, but he was utterly anonymous for the time he played, but I've not seen anyone mention him at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

No mention of Mings/Ibra being charged over the incidents yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We certainly paid far over the odds for Pogba but the really annoying thing is that he doesn't get taken off when he's having a stinker. Herrara should have been brought on the last.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He was awful, particularly in the last 15 minutes when the team needed a leader. Instead of defending him you should be demanding a whole lot better.

the last 15min when lingard was left back, fellaini up front, only pogba in midfield. last 15 mins was a mess

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Would agree with this. He made some higher profile mistakes so took blame, but there were several players who did absolutely nothing for the entire match. I love Mata, for instance, but he was utterly anonymous for the time he played, but I've not seen anyone mention him at all....

thats because he didnt cost 90m and its clouding most peoples judgement on pogba. dont really know why everyone cares about the price so much to be honest

• that cant be right surely, I mean we scored and had a peno saved via Bouremouth didnt the goalie save from Pobga as well one or twice in that game alone?

I pulled it from twitter. Can't access at the moment but will post it later

I pulled it from twitter. Can't access at the moment but will post it later

O ya not having a go just didnt sound right to me, its mental if true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

O ya not having a go just didnt sound right to me, its mental if true
    Pretty sure its 98 chances 2 goals. Just a badly phrased stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

bangkok wrote: »
    thats because he didnt cost 90m and its clouding most peoples judgement on pogba. dont really know why everyone cares about the price so much to be honest

Ok this is the last time I am saying this. I thought Pogba was awful overall at the weekend. Nothing clouding my judgement. Nothing about looking for a scapegoat.

Btw I`m pretty sure I commented on other players too but it was your insistence that he played well that kept me posting about him in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We don't share around the goals through the team.We don't have another 2 or 3 players that chip in with 10 or 15 goals. When the main man doesn't score we don't have anyone else on the pitch that we could see stepping up and grabbing a goal or two. There was a stat up to this season about Herrera's shooting, he pretty much hit the target every time,now he's more likely to break somebody's nose in the crowd than hit the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »

Mata was playing?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Pretty sure its 98 chances 2 goals. Just a badly phrased stat.

Yeah it's more than likely that as looking at this on twitter there was way more than 2 shots on target

https://twitter.com/Rooney_esque/status/838382599630438401

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I dont think you can read too much into the Bournemouth result. These types of games just happen. One thing you could possibly say is if Ibrahimovic has a bad game United struggle a bit, but not sure that is actually true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

NukaCola wrote: »
    I dont think you can read too much into the Bournemouth result. These types of games just happen. One thing you could possibly say is if Ibrahimovic has a bad game United struggle a bit, but not sure that is actually true.

Its happened way too much over the season. We have thrown away a load of points, and the players have to take the blame for it.

I do think we missed Herrera in the centre yesterday with Mkhitaryan also out, we missed that bit of pace of pass through the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Even if we win the Europa and qualify via that, a top 4 finish keeps either Liverpool or Arsenal out of the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

NukaCola wrote: »
    These types of games just happen.

These types of games keep happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

paulbok wrote: »

Even if we win the Europa and qualify via that, a top 4 finish keeps either Liverpool or Arsenal out of the CL.
    Would they not be out regardless? Does the 4th place team not have to give up their spot if a team in the same league wins he Champions League or Europa League?

Definitely for CL anyway, as we saw with Chelsea taking Tottenhams place ia few years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Would they not be out regardless? Does the 4th place team not have to give up their spot if a team in the same league wins he Champions League or Europa League?

Definitely for CL anyway, as we saw with Chelsea taking Tottenhams place ia few years ago.

That changed 2 years ago. EL winners get an extra place.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Yeah it's more than likely that as looking at this on twitter there was way more than 2 shots on target

that touch by Zlatan at the start of the first move is sexy, missed the start of the game cheers

• Lord TSC wrote: »

I had mentioned him the other day, but I question why he's playing on the right in the first place.
    Would have preferred him over Rooney @ #10
    It shows we are badly missing Miki Ryan!

Rules changed last year.
    Spain had 5 in the CL this year after Sevilla won the Europa and finished 7th in La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

4 Pogba good chances, 3 Ibra misses, 1 poor pass by Rooney to Ibra, 1 poor header by Rooney, Martial choosing to shoot instead of the cut back a few times...

ugh sigh bleh

that pogba pass to rooney (1.18) is world class. rooney scores everyone is raving about the pass

• bangkok wrote: »
    that pogba pass to rooney (1.18) is world class. rooney scores everyone is raving about the pass

I do admit that was a nice pass. I think what's frustrating people is the consistency of good play versus bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I do admit that was a nice pass. I think what's frustrating people is the consistency of good play versus bad.

Or to further your point, the decision making. There's simplier lower earlier balls on to play at times, be it out wide or one two in midfield to feet.

Not take 3 touches and try and run with it or hit the hollywood...

there is def more good play than bad over the course of the season so far no doubt about it. if ye were told he would score 10 goals and 5 assists at start of season when he signed it would be considered a major success for 1st season in england, he is well on his way to pass that target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What an odd music choice for that video.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

No idea why Rooney didn't take that down with the first chance, instead of a poxy looped header that had no chance of beating the keeper. That Pogba chance at the end also, if only he had of left it for Mata. Was just starting to get over this game thanks for the vid!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Rules changed last year.
    Spain had 5 in the CL this year after Sevilla won the Europa and finished 7th in La Liga.

But if we got top 4 and Europa the place surely wouldn't go to the team in 5th?
    Pretty sure that's what the OP meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

What's the general consensus why Utd aren't title challengers in 4 years, with infinite funds? How can Chelsea bring in Conte and he's doing the business immediately with less money. Surely, the post-Fergie shock excuse can't be used anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What's the general consensus why Utd aren't title challengers in 4 years, with infinite funds? How can Chelsea bring in Conte and he's doing the business immediately with less money. Surely, the post-Fergie shock excuse can't be used anymore.

Simple... They got it wrong its as easy as that but they are on the right direction with jose I feel that but hey maybe it will turn out they got it wrong again but I don't think that will happen.

They needed someone with a clear vision of how the club should be run and someone that had a guts to make massive changes and they ended up with moyes and then lvg who was totally unsuitable to the league and his ideas were probably getting out dated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Chelsea had a much better starting base squad than we had for one. The main spine of the team have been together for a few years.

The other is the same reason Leicester won the league last year and have been dog shyt this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Chelsea were champions two years ago and have been a top team for years so its not that huge of a surprise that they are where they are,I know they had poor season last season but still they had the quality in the squad to turn things around,

no 1 we dont have infinite funds.

no 2 conte had to make only slight adjustments to a squad and the signings of David Luiz, Kante and Alonso have been excellent.

no 3 hazard has decided again that he is is a footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I think the only way 4th lose out on CL is if 2 teams win the CL & EL but finish outside the top 4, there can still only 5 teams qualify from that league.

So if United finish 6th and win EL, and Leicester somehow win the CL while finishing mid table or worse, 4th place in the league will loose out.

But if we got top 4 and Europa the place surely wouldn't go to the team in 5th?
    Pretty sure that's what the OP meant.

No, 5th place dont get a CL spot in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nalz wrote: »
    Or to further your point, the decision making. There's simplier lower earlier balls on to play at times, be it out wide or one two in midfield to feet.

Not take 3 touches and try and run with it or hit the hollywood...

It would also be nice if he made a tackle or two and made half an attempt to pick up his marker.

Also how many one on ones has he missed this season ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement