Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Fantastic news

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Surely that is fake news :P

Mata getting a new contract would be no surprise, apart from those who believe there was this Jose/Mata issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Zlatan and Mings both charged with violent conduct.

https://twitter.com/FA/status/838762345744629761

• Zlatan and Mings both charged with violent conduct.

https://twitter.com/FA/status/838762345744629761

Glad to see the FA using common sense in regards to mings vicious stamp. I expect three match ban for Ibra and 6 match ban for mings on the basis of that report.
    Amazing still to read the mental hoops jumped through last night in the match thread in mings defence.

• O ya not having a go just didnt sound right to me, its mental if true

As promised dude

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/838659877698428928

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Glad to see the FA using common sense in regards to mings vicious stamp. I expect three match ban for Ibra and 6 match ban for mings on the basis of that report.
    Amazing still to read the mental hoops jumped through last night in the match thread in mings defence.

I thought half of them lads had closed their accounts. Hadn't seen them around for so long.
    Obviously a coincidence that we were winning a lot and they were not...

• What makes this interesting now is that there is a 3 game opportunity for Rashford up top, and I also expect the team to be adjusted slightly from tactical sense.

The next 3 games could look something like this:

De Gea

Valencia Rojo Jones Shaw

Carrick
    Herrera Pogba

Miki / Mata
    Martial

Rashford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

bangkok wrote: »
    no 1 we dont have infinite funds.

no 2 conte had to make only slight adjustments to a squad and the signings of David Luiz, Kante and Alonso have been excellent.

no 3 hazard has decided again that he is is a footballer

You know I didn't mean for my use of the phrase infinite funds to be taken literally. Money is no object at OT these days.

And the Utd squad 4 years ago won the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I really have no confidence these players showing up in a EL final when they have bottled almost every chance this season to get into the top 4.

What makes this interesting now is that there is a 3 game opportunity for Rashford up top, and I also expect the team to be adjusted slightly from tactical sense.

the Next 3 games could look something like this:

De Gea

Valencia Rojo Jones Shaw

Carrick
    Herrera Pogba

Miki / Mata
    Martial

Rashford

Probably the team for the Chelsea and Everton games.

For Middlesbrough, I suspect a 4-2-3-1

• Advertisement

I really have no confidence these players showing up in a EL final when they have bottled almost every chance this season to get into the top 4.

They have won the FA Cup final, the Community Shield - it counts according to Zlatan :p and we won the League Cup final, we have been good in matches where a trophy is the prize - in that we won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

That's a bit ridiculous. We have been very good for large portions this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Massive chance for Rashford to cement a place in the team mong term.

I've no doubt Ibra will slot straight back in once the ban is server, but the next few games will give us an idea if Rashford is up to the challenge of leading the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Assuming it's just a 3 match ban, he misses Chelsea (A) Boro (A) and West Brom (H).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

RobertKK wrote: »
    Probably the team for the Chelsea and Everton games.

For Middlesbrough, I suspect a 4-2-3-1

Zlatan should be back for Everton game?

Will miss Chelsea, Boro & WBA from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

You know I didn't mean for my use of the phrase infinite funds to be taken literally. Money is no object at OT these days.

And the Utd squad 4 years ago won the title.

money is still an object, the club is still in 400m of debt, there is a good cash flow though, but we are not oil rich.

the squad that won the title 4 years ago are all but gone. 4 years is a very long time in football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thats almost 25 shots per game,at least under LVG we might see 3 or 4 per game and could blame lack of creativity.We may bring Solskjaer back to train the lads in the art of finishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    That's a bit ridiculous. We have been very good for large portions this season.

We've been 6th for a depressing amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

We've been 6th for a depressing amount of time.

We were but we were nearly 10 points off 4th. We need a run of wins again pass them if they slip up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

See mourinho giving his backing to Shaw saying he's all the attributes to become the best really hope he does start of last year he had us all really excited, Still hate that c**t for the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

jayo26 wrote: »
    We were but we were nearly 10 points off 4th. We need a run of wins again pass them if they slip up again.

Both Liverpool and Arsenal have given us umpteen chances to leapfrog them but we have squandered many of the chances, unfortunately.
    We had another "if me granny had balls she'd be my grandad " scenario here , where someone projected where we would be at end of March... mystic meg jobbie.
    We just don't seem to have a ruthless streak to put teams to the sword. Saturday had me in dire mood, poor missus had to listen to my rants all the way down N11.... even had me at the road rage stuff too.... bad for the health.
    Tough few weeks ahead, expect big rotations to get through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

4 years is a very long time in football

And there is the understatement of the year :)

bmcc10 wrote: »
    See mourinho giving his backing to Shaw saying he's all the attributes to become the best really hope he does start of last year he had us all really excited, Still hate that c**t for the challenge.

he was already best lb in league before he got injured, just a matter of getting back to that level and excelling

secman wrote: »
    Both Liverpool and Arsenal have given us umpteen chances to leapfrog them but we have squandered many of the chances, unfortunately.
    We had another "if me granny had balls she'd be my grandad " scenario here , where someone projected where we would be at end of March... mystic meg jobbie.
    We just don't seem to have a ruthless streak to put teams to the sword. Saturday had me in dire mood, poor missus had to listen to my rants all the way down N11.... even had me at the road rage stuff too.... bad for the health.
    Tough few weeks ahead, expect big rotations to get through it.

Totally agree but someone said that we had improved thus season and it was responded to by but we are still in sixth which is the truth but we are still in a far better position in sixth then we were back in November we are 3 points of fourth and a game in hand over pool.

We do need to push on now and take advantage and also It all depends on what setup of balls your granny had she could be your granny daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

thats because he didnt cost 90m and its clouding most peoples judgement on pogba. dont really know why everyone cares about the price so much to be honest
    money is still an object, the club is still in 400m of debt, there is a good cash flow though, but we are not oil rich.

the squad that won the title 4 years ago are all but gone. 4 years is a very long time in football

You say that money is still an object, yet wonder why people care about the price of Pogba. Bit of a contradiction tbh.
    As an outsider money doesn't appear to be an object for Man Utd. I expect Man Utd to spend big every summer from now on, which is admittedly very worrying for an Arsenal fan looking forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is a big part of me happy that Zlatan has been charged and hoping he gets a 3 match ban.

For two reasons. One, its high time Martial and Rashford stepped up and showed what they can do, hopefully this will force the issue and they will have to show if all the hype is justified. There is no Zlatan to bail them out now, for three games it will be on them and other passengers like Mata and if they don't come through with the goods then that is information that could be quite useful come the transfer window. Part of me thinks that our goose is cooked this season anyway and we should already be looking longer term, these 3 games could show us what we can expect from a few of these players that up to now have been coasting.

Secondly, I don't think its good for Zlatan to be playing every game like he does, for him to get an enforced 3 game rest in March? Sounds good to me. Imagine having a rested and raring to go Zlatan coming back into the team just as we start into that very tough end of the season, his return could be a great boost at a vital time.

You never want to be without your best players, but just sometimes the silver lining is bigger than the cloud.

There is a big part of me happy that Zlatan has been charged and hoping he gets a 3 match ban.

For two reasons. One, its high time Martial and Rashford stepped up and showed what they can do, hopefully this will force the issue and they will have to show if all the hype is justified. There is no Zlatan to bail them out now, for three games it will be on them and other passengers like Mata and if they don't come through with the goods then that is information that could be quite useful come the transfer window. Part of me thinks that our goose is cooked this season anyway and we should already be looking longer term, these 3 games could show us what we can expect from a few of these players that up to now have been coasting.

Secondly, I don't think its good for Zlatan to be playing every game like he does, for him to get an enforced 3 game rest in March? Sounds good to me. Imagine having a rested and raring to go Zlatan coming back into the team just as we start into that very tough end of the season, his return could be a great boost at a vital time.

You never want to be without your best players, but just sometimes the silver lining is bigger than the cloud.

He will still be available for the Russia games so not so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    He will still be available for the Russia games so not so bad.

Playing 2 matches instead of 5 will be grand.. be able to keep him match sharp and then with him not playing in the internationals.. he should be well rested up and raring to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Mourinho will still play him during the ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Mourinho will still play him during the ban.

Ha ha ha ha. :)

I honestly couldn't care less about the careers of players at United anymore as long as the team is winning but I do have a love for Rashford that I haven't had for a player since Andy Cole. I just want him to be great and urge him on more than others.

Zlatan won't get a ban, he will ban the fa.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You say that money is still an object, yet wonder why people care about the price of Pogba. Bit of a contradiction tbh.
    As an outsider money doesn't appear to be an object for Man Utd. I expect Man Utd to spend big every summer from now on, which is admittedly very worrying for an Arsenal fan looking forward.

We dont grow money on trees. If United keep failing to get CL the money will dry up.

I agree with lots of that, especially the 'blessing-in-disguise' factor in regards to Ibra's impending ban. There are a few silver linings there like you mentioned - other players getting the chance to step up, Ibra getting rested, then coming back hungrier and fitter, all genuine things to be positive about. But, Mata a passenger?

I didn't see the game on Saturday, the first I didn't see this season and maybe he was a passenger in that game, but overall I can't agree with that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I can appreciate the idea of Ibra's absence being a reason for others to step up. I just have no faith in the current crop to do it. Again, I appreciate why some would think Ibra's presence has damaged some players, but for most...they shouldn't need that excuse to step up. If they need that excuse, then it suggests a bad mentality.

Rashford has a massive chance, no denying that. But Martial, Rooney, Mata, etc...they've been here before. If they've not stood up after so long, I don't see any chance they will now :/

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    But, Mata a passenger?

I didn't see the game on Saturday, the first I didn't see this season and maybe he was a passenger in that game, but overall I can't agree with that.

I've stated my opinion on Mata before so no point going it over again, but yes I think he is a passenger. Good when things are good, nowhere to be seen when things are bad.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Again, I appreciate why some would think Ibra's presence has damaged some players, but for most...they shouldn't need that excuse to step up. If they need that excuse, then it suggests a bad mentality.

Rashford has a massive chance, no denying that. But Martial, Rooney, Mata, etc...they've been here before. If they've not stood up after so long, I don't see any chance they will now :/

Oh I don't think Ibra has damaged the likes of Martial, more that they are hiding behind his goals, getting away with mediocrity because Zlatan bags a few winners.

I've said it a few times this season but Martial gets away with murder in terms of his performances. Its so frustrating because he has the talent, but Saturday was yet another example of him starting brilliantly, running at defenders and causing havoc for 15 minutes, and then going completely missing for the rest of the game.

Rashford will be fine I think but Martial really needs to start producing or he might as well go join Depay wherever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Have said I wouldn't be shocked if Martial left in the summer. If Jose thought he could recoup 40-50m for him and invest in someone of his own choosing, I think he would.

Hell, going all out for Sanchez would be fun :P

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Have said I wouldn't be shocked if Martial left in the summer. If Jose thought he could recoup 40-50m for him and invest in someone of his own choosing, I think he would.

Hell, going all out for Sanchez would be fun :P

If we were selling Martial Id be saying we should go for Sanchez. If we don't sell any of our front line then buying Sanchez doesn't make sense really. Can't see us selling Martial unless PSG really really want him and pay Pogba money for him.

Hazzard again for chelsea.... Our chances Of catching them are getting slim ;);)

• Advertisement

I've stated my opinion on Mata before so no point going it over again, but yes I think he is a passenger. Good when things are good, nowhere to be seen when things are bad.

Fair enough. Without thinking he is flawless or letting his likeable personality influence my opinion, I disagree. No harm looking for more from him, that's just right, but he's far from a passenger in my own estimation.

I'm not going to draw upon stats to try to sway you, you have eyes and a brain to decide for yourself. Mata is deserving of criticism, but I think the 'passenger' label is harsh, and not in a 'well the truth hurts' way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They stumbled onto a decent question on MNF RE: Pogba next season and Griezmann.

If Griezmann signs for United, where does Pogba play?

We can all agree Pogba can't play in a 2 man Midfield. If Zlatan and Griezmann are going to play up front, what becomes of Pogba?

United can't Just spend a bomb on Griezmann and shove him out wide in the Martial position just to accommodate Pogba in a 3 man Midfield.

Assuming Zlatan stays, Pogba and Griezmann don't go together.

Don't shoot the messenger (it's The Sun) but the morning paper saying United are cooling their interest in Griezmann and instead are looking for Lewandowski and Mbappe.
    I would love Griezmann at United but kinda thought him being at odds with the kind of forward Jose likes to have up front,he's a fan of a big CF and Griezmann isn't that.

https://twitter.com/English_AS/status/838876826323861504

Some good news is that Spanish authorities have abolished the ludicrous tax that clubs stuck on top of buyout clauses in the country which made transfers overly complicated. At least now we know if Griezmann's buyout is €100 million then that's the price not the starting point with 48% tax on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/English_AS/status/838876826323861504

Some good news is that Spanish authorities have abolished the ludicrous tax that clubs stuck on top of buyout clauses in the country which made transfers overly complicated. At least now we know if Griezmann's buyout is €100 million then that's the price not the starting point with 48% tax on top.

That article is gas.. they basically say because they have Simeone to stay next year that means they have convinced Griezmann to stay too :D

The Sun's article is taken from a Delaney article, who said that it's difficult deal to work because of the Spanish taxes and that. Yeah as if trying to get Lewandowski to sign is going to be easier. Where did you see that about the taxes..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

zerks wrote: »
    Don't shoot the messenger (it's The Sun) but the morning paper saying United are cooling their interest in Griezmann and instead are looking for Lewandowski and Mbappe.
    I would love Griezmann at United but kinda thought him being at odds with the kind of forward Jose likes to have up front,he's a fan of a big CF and Griezmann isn't that.

I think Miguel Delaney posted the story. He is laughably poor journalist.
    "ManUtd dropped interest in Griezmann because it's difficult to sign him but turned their attention to Lewandowski"

Amazing even for Delaney's standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Honestly, spending €100m on Griezmann doesn't make much sense to me unless he's going to play up front.

We can't keep buying a new best player every year, having to reshape our team or move around others to fit them in and expect to win a league.

The frustrating thing is that we probably still need some new signings but we also desperately need a settled squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If we signed Greizman I reckon it would be Mata that dropped out of the side, with Greizman taking his spot on the right side of the attack. Rest of the team set up remaining the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I think Miguel Delaney posted the story. He is laughably poor journalist.
    "ManUtd dropped interest in Griezmann because it's difficult to sign him but turned their attention to Lewandowski"

Amazing even for Delaney's standards.

I think you criticism of Miguel is way over the top.

I've read elsewhere that United are struggling on the Griezman deal because of contract and, probably, CL reasons - saying the deal is too complicated is likely a cover for simply not being able to convince the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I think you criticism of Miguel is way over the top.

I've read elsewhere that United are struggling on the Griezman deal because of contract and, probably, CL reasons - saying the deal is too complicated is likely a cover for simply not being able to convince the player.

And in what world Lewandowski is more easy to sign player?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement