Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Anyone PM me this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Anyone PM me this one?

Someone said its free on eir sports if you have a sky connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Serious battling from Ibrahimovic tonight. Tough game for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'll happily take 1-1 after that. Pitch was a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Great result. Get home and get ready for chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just finished work good draw?

Good, all over! Now players and supporters, get home safe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hate to mention it again but Pogba was just awful again. The worst of the three midfielders by a country mile.

Rojo did quiet well and I thought Ibra handl d himself really well up front.

Pitch was a joke as was the ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just finished work good draw?

Very poor first half, second half was OK.

Ref was poor.

A lot of rolling around from the Ruskies.

Wretched playing conditions and the ball seemed to change direction travelling even short distances.

All things considered it was a good result given the away goal.

Didn't see anything in Rostov that should cause too much problems at home (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Away goal, no injuries.We'll take that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I missed out on a trick and a few quid by not blindly backing every United match this season to finish 1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No injuries on a dodgy pitch

Away goal

With the way the home form is in this competition, should be finishing the job off at OT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

adox wrote: »
    Hate to mention it again but Pogba was just awful again. The worst of the three midfielders by a country mile.

He was awful. I will give him a pass on that pitch though, although dont like to make a excuse like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

He was no more awful! Don't know what game you were watching. Did very well.

It was a bit like watching pinball. Interrupted every two minutes by a player falling to the ground and the ref giving a free. The ref was worse than I've seen in England this season and that's saying something.

Thought Martial looked half arsed as well when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Should beat that crowd 2-0 or 3-0 at OT.

Cue another 1-1 and ET :rolleyes:

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    He was no more awful! Don't know what game you were watching. Did very well.

I was watching the same game as you obviously. I don't know how you think he did very well. Possibly Utds worst player imo.

But hey that's what it is. An opinion.

He was awful. I will give him a pass on that pitch though, although dont like to make a excuse like that.

Yeah true and the pitch was always going to be a huge factor but everyone else seem to cope with it or adapt to it better than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Pogba not great at all. Seems to not be able to impose himself on games too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Yeah true and the pitch was always going to be a huge factor but everyone else seem to cope with it or adapt to it better than him.

I don't really think players did cope though.. the match was terrible and players couldn't string a couple of passes together so they were playing it long alot. Don't get me wrong he had a poor game but I really would give him a pass on this due to the pitch.

If he played like that in the return game or even against Chelsea on Monday Yeah fair enough but Rojo was our best player tonight.. none of them did anything decent attacking wise

Had to rely on a US stream as BT was dropping, thankfully that doesn't happen too often...

US Commentator 1: So, do you think if the match finishes this way (1-1) Rostov will have a chance at Old Trafford next week?

US Commentator 2: No.

*20 seconds of silence*

Commentator 1: A one word response sums up Rostov's chances for you?

Commentator 2: Well if it stays this way, then when that whistle blows, that's it...unless something happens.

I'm going to have to wait to cast a decent opinion on that United performance, the torturous commentary might be making be feel a bit more jaded than the football actually did.

It was a turgid 1-1 draw in an away tie in Europe during a busy run, featuring an unorthodox formation. It's almost giving me Nostalgia for the Fergie days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

They behaving because of the World Cup stuff

astradave wrote: »
    I don't really think players did cope though.. the match was terrible and players couldn't string a couple of passes together so they were playing it long alot. Don't get me wrong he had a poor game but I really would give him a pass on this due to the pitch.

If he played like that in the return game or even against Chelsea on Monday Yeah fair enough but Rojo was our best player tonight.. none of them did anything decent attacking wise

Sorry Dave, I didn't mean they did cope with it, just that they seemed to cope with it or adapt to it better than Pogba.

Anyway I feel like I'm constantly dragging the thread into a Pogba debate and tonight's conditions were a once off so I'll stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Decent result, fell asleep at the back (Jones) for the goal. They are missing 2 good players for the second leg. Pitch was a state, but would've taken 1-1 before the game.
    Great chance to go and win this thing, maybe our best chance to be in the CL next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

That was very nice. I think it was the same temperature in Dublin as it was in Rostov but still very nice for a nation of fans with a very bad rep.

2 Weeks Later: Smallpox Epidemic Grips Old Trafford :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Caught most of the second half and the football was as pad as Owen Hargreaves commentary. Still, a good result over there and we should be able to tuck them away next week.

Headshot wrote: »
    They behaving because of the World Cup stuff

Well there's no hooliganism and behaving in the stadium and then there's giving out blankets to the Utd fans outside the stadium that managed to travel.

I'm taking it on face value and think it's a classy and nice thing to see, especially with our pre conceived ideas of Russian fans. It's a huge country, I know nothing of the club so take it on face value.

1800 mile trip, dreadful pitch. Outside of the goal they didn't create anything.

It was a bit like watching pinball. Interrupted every two minutes by a player falling to the ground and the ref giving a free. The ref was worse than I've seen in England this season and that's saying something.

Thought Martial looked half arsed as well when he came on.

Agree about Martial - needs a good kick in the arse sometimes

• Advertisement

Well there's no hooliganism and behaving in the stadium and then there's giving out blankets to the Utd fans outside the stadium that managed to travel.

I'm taking it on face value and think it's a classy and nice thing to see, especially with our pre conceived ideas of Russian fans. It's a huge country, I know nothing of the club so take it on face value.

I don't care if it was a stunt, once our fans get looked after and get home safe then I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jose will be more than happy with that,an away goal and nobody broke any bones.Rostov aren't up to much and terrible away from home,we should beat them handily at OT.Plus they won't be used to playing on actual grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Good result, atrocious match to watch.

Going to Chelsea Monday night. Interesting to see how he picks the team without Zlatan. I get the impression at times that younger lads haven't kicked on because of him being there in front of them. Martial in particular. I feel the club has been too loyal to older players - esp at OT Saturday watching Carrick and Rooney. Van Gaal did a lot of things wrong but one thing he did right was giving young lads a chance - and yes, it was forced on him, esp that game with Arsenal at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Been near enough the best player on the pitch so far

In a few weeks you'll be told the performance never happened and he hasn't had a good game since we won 3 on the bounce under LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kstand wrote: »
    I get the impression at times that younger lads haven't kicked on because of him being there in front of them.

They can't blame Zlatan, he does affect how the team plays but he also attracts a lot of the focus and pressure from the opposition defenders in a way that should be allowing the likes of Martial more freedom to do their thing. With Zlatan there nobody was putting any pressure on Martial and yet he has done very little all season.

Martial has 29 appearances, Rashford has 39, they have had plenty of opportunities this season so I don't agree with blaming anybody but themselves for being underwhelming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

And move down the road where they are no cameras and they getting stones thrown at them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

They can't blame Zlatan, he does affect how the team plays but he also attracts a lot of the focus and pressure from the opposition defenders in a way that should be allowing the likes of Martial more freedom to do their thing. With Zlatan there nobody was putting any pressure on Martial and yet he has done very little all season.

Martial has 29 appearances, Rashford has 39, they have had plenty of opportunities this season so I don't agree with blaming anybody but themselves for being underwhelming.

Can hardly say Rashford hass been underwhelming seen as most of the time he has been played out of position

Robson99 wrote: »
    Can hardly say Rashford hass been underwhelming seen as most of the time he has been played out of position

I'm not trying to denigrate Rashford, taking everything into account he has had a satisfactory season, I was responding to the suggestion that the younger lads hadn't kicked on because of Zlatan.

I also don't agree with this out of position guff, they are young lads getting to play in the front three for Manchester United, what more do they want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

stankratz wrote: »
    Had to rely on a US stream as BT was dropping, thankfully that doesn't happen too often...

US Commentator 1: So, do you think if the match finishes this way (1-1) Rostov will have a chance at Old Trafford next week?

US Commentator 2: No.

*20 seconds of silence*

Commentator 1: A one word response sums up Rostov's chances for you?

Commentator 2: Well if it stays this way, then when that whistle blows, that's it...unless something happens.

I'm going to have to wait to cast a decent opinion on that United performance, the torturous commentary might be making be feel a bit more jaded than the football actually did.

It was a turgid 1-1 draw in an away tie in Europe during a busy run, featuring an unorthodox formation. It's almost giving me Nostalgia for the Fergie days.

Was your bt a legit feed? Mine was freezing every 5 or 10 mins and I ended up watching eir sports instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was very tired, got to see some of the second half, but Owen Hargreaves actually put me asleep.
    My fitbit says I slept for over an hour and a half.

A decent result, as we return with the advantage.

I'm not trying to denigrate Rashford, taking everything into account he has had a satisfactory season, I was responding to the suggestion that the younger lads hadn't kicked on because of Zlatan.

I also don't agree with this out of position guff, they are young lads getting to play in the front three for Manchester United, what more do they want?
    Would Zlatan be effective on the wing?? Rashford and Martial play their best football up top imo

Would Zlatan be effective on the wing?? Rashford and Martial play their best football up top imo

I'd rather not be the one to tell him he was being played on the wing!! :eek:

Martial has always been a wide forward and his best play comes from having space to run at and cut in.

Martial has always been a wide forward and his best play comes from having space to run at and cut in.

Think he needs more freedom than being played as an outside left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Think he needs more freedom than being played as an outside left

Same, he often seems so restricted out there in my opinion. I remember last season how impressed I was with his ability to hold up play. He had the talent to control long passes up to him,and the strength and maturity to protect the ball from defenders to help bring others into the game. I don't think we see as much of that from him this season with Ibrahimovic being more of a target man. I think if he was given a free role up top he could do a lot of damage. He has pace, strength and serious talent and I reckon could be a nightmare for defenders to keep an eye on if he wasn't stuck out on the left all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

http://sportwitness.co.uk/man-united-star-blasts-carragher-talking-nonsense-leg-breaker/

Fellaini blasts Carragher for talking nonsense and being a leg breaker

(Sorry if this has been posted already)

I thought last season he had performed better playing from wide but I do agree that his hold up play and bringing other players into the game was very good when he was played up top.

Just had a look at his stats for 15/16 from transfermarkt there

27 games as a CF, 5 goals and 4 Assists
    25 games as a LW, 11 goals and 8 assists
    4 games as a RW, 2 goals.

He has the ability to play in either position and last year he had a better impact from the wing(goals and assists wise), it might be why Jose sees him as a LW. I also think that when he was players up front last year he had a tenancy to drift out left to receive the ball alot

• Advertisement

My problem with Martial is this: You can't play crap all season then turn around and say "Well my best position is up top, I'd be better if I played there". If he wants to play there, earn the damn right to play there.

He isn't playing at left back or even as a winger, he is getting to play on the left of a front three, a position that even if it doesn't give him total freedom certainly gives him ample opportunity to show what he can do and what he is about. Want to play up front? Then go out on the left, run at defenders, create havoc, create chances, score goals and make it so that the manager will want to play you up front.

And he can do it, thats the frustrating thing, forget playing up front he can play on the left and do it well, when he wants to. For about 15 minutes he will scare the **** out of the full back and put their back line on the back foot, he will look like a fabulous player. And then he will disappear for the rest of the game.

Thats not an issue with the position he is playing or a problem with Zlatan, thats a Martial problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement