Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I ban myself for month if Fellaini or Mata gets the winner.

I be chuffed if one of them won it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You've got to laugh though. We finally get a chance to see if anyone can step up in Ibras absence, and everyone goes and takes he selves out of the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We need to beat 3 of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and City in whatever order to win the FA cup. I think Mourinho would have made it clear FA cup is bottom of priorities for this season.

Fully expect us to set up like we did against Liverpool in the game at Anfield, park the bus, conserve energy and hope to god we nick a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im always amazed reading Chelsea fans and their comments about Jose. He won 3 leagues and yet they seem hate him on a par with Fergie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Im always amazed reading Chelsea fans and their comments about Jose. He won 3 leagues and yet they seem hate him on a par with Fergie.

I'm sure they loved him when he was their manager, much like Utd fans hated him and now love him, that's fans for you, fickle as....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    You've got to laugh though. We finally get a chance to see if anyone can step up in Ibras absence, and everyone goes and takes he selves out of the running.

Bit like us with a chance of getting out of sixth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

God that really is bad luck - a training accident, injury and illness. Hopefully Martial's is nothing serious and Rashford should be well for Thursday anyway.

Where's Nick Powell when you need him... Can see him going with Big Fell up front maybe?

Losing Zlatan for this game is annoying as a main weakness od Chelseas is when Luiz gets dragged out and Apiz(etc) gets targeted on crosses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Fellaini up front and Mikhy playing off him could reap dividends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Put 2 quid on fellaini first goal at 20/1 ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

He is their most successful manager of all time and it just shows a lot of them up for the classless individuals they are the way a lot of them speak about him, though considering the bigoted, thuggish carry on by sections of them over the years its not all that surprising.

He made them into the club they are yet you would swear he had bankrupted them and got them relegated.

Horrible bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It would be interesting to see if Jose would go with a loose front 3 of Mata, Mikitarian and Lingard, but no, I'd say it will be Felliani as a target man with Lingard and Miki playing off him.

Which is a perfectly viable choice, he will want to keep it a tight game and hopefully sneak a win. It will be interesting to see how Pogba plays though, I imagine Hererra and Carrick will play so he will need to be getting forward from midfield to support Felliani, he really has a chance to shine here.

the absolute joy it would bring me if the big fella started up top and knocked in a hatrick is immeasurable

I'm sure they loved him when he was their manager, much like Utd fans hated him and now love him, that's fans for you, fickle as....

Fans can be fickle, but no, not all fans would throw so much hate at a manager that had previously brought them so much success. There are fans up and down the country that cheer and applaud ex-players and ex-managers when they turn up with their new teams.

There is a lot of false equivalencies thrown around these days, for example in one thread when its pointed out that Suarez is a compulsive cheat people try to defend him by saying all players cheat. No, they don't. Many players have cheated from time to time but not all players cheat as consistently and as blatantly as Suarez does. Same thing with Chelsea fans hating Mourinho, sure some fans may dislike previous managers, but no, not all fans would do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ill always respect Jose but hes done nothing but have shots at Chelsea since about November.

Its understandable hes bitter, he was sacked from a job he wanted to keep for a long time and the players didnt exactly cover themselves in glory in his final weeks and i dont think anyone will ever know the ins and outs of that.

But ya, Ive huge respect for what hes done but ive no love for him and his mind games now but as a rival manager, Id expect that TBH, he'll, we had it for 6 years where he was winding up everyome. Its food when hes on your side, he builds an agenda and seige mentality that gets you hated, if he wasnt trying to kick the hornets nest id be more worried about him loosing his edge, which he hasnt lost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

the absolute joy it would bring me if the big fella started up top and knocked in a hatrick is immeasurable

If fellaini scores a hat trick tomorrow night i wont post here again this season!

bangkok wrote: »
    If fellaini scores a hat trick tomorrow night i wont post here again this season!

Hope he only gets two then <3:)

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hope he only gets two then <3:)

ill take 4 and wont count it as just a hatrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »

giphy.gif

:P

If Fellaini scores a hat-trick tomorrow night, i'll eat Jayo's hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

On a slightly different note, Memphis Depay has been in unreal form as of late!!!! 5 goals in 6 games I think. Could have been useful for tomorrow with this attacking crisis of ours that we have now.

Look at what he did today :p

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3072938/memphis-depay-halfway-line-goal-lyon-manchester-united/

stankratz wrote: »
    If Fellaini scores a hat-trick tomorrow night, i'll eat Jayo's hat.

Surely Jayos running out of hats at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

On a slightly different note, Memphis Depay has been in unreal form as of late!!!! 5 goals in 6 games I think. Could have been useful for tomorrow with this attacking crisis of ours that we have now.

Look at what he did today :p

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3072938/memphis-depay-halfway-line-goal-lyon-manchester-united/

Posted it 3 pages back :P

Nah, he's the man of many hats :pac:

I'll see myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Lithium93_ wrote: »

My bad - but I could watch it all day. What a goal :P

Has to be running short at this stage alright, plus he could probably do with getting himself checked out for mercury poisoning.

3 pages?

You're doing boards wrong :D

astradave wrote: »
    3 pages?

You're doing boards wrong :D

I've seen this mentioned before,

There's a right way to do Boards? Someone please explain.

I've seen this mentioned before,

There's a right way to do Boards? Someone please explain.

Change your settings to 40 posts a page

astradave wrote: »
    Change your settings to 40 posts a page

Can you do that on the touch site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

jayo26 wrote: »
    Can you do that on the touch site?

Not sure if you can set the option on touch but 40 posts per page works on touch if you set it up like that on full website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Rod Munch wrote: »
    He is their most successful manager of all time and it just shows a lot of them up for the classless individuals they are the way a lot of them speak about him, though considering the bigoted, thuggish carry on by sections of them over the years its not all that surprising.

He made them into the club they are yet you would swear he had bankrupted them and got them relegated.

Horrible bunch.

As a great man once said about a former player scoring against his own club:
    'Frank Lampard is a Man City player, I don't believe in stories of passion and heart, maybe I am too pragmatic in football.

'When he decided to go to a direct competitor to Chelsea then love stories are over. He did his job as a professional.

'He got a good reception and this is England and this is Chelsea. Chelsea people never forget what Chelsea people do at the club.

'It happened to me when I was manager of Inter. It is Chelsea's culture and beauty.'

Any criticism of him is just a push back against his digs. He's a Chelsea legend and will go down as the greatest manager in the clubs history. It's also tough to see a man who was revered by the fans at a rival club, after what turned out to be a messy break-up.

I guarantee he will get an excellent reception at Stamford Bridge, just like he did last time he came.

How many United fans changed their mind about him once he joined? Many United supporters would have labelled him poison and considered United to be above appointing a manager such as him. What are those opinions now? Football fans are fickle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

So we are going with a "false " No. 9 against Chelsea. :)

Unearthly wrote: »
    Not sure if you can set the option on touch but 40 posts per page works on touch if you set it up like that on full website

Worked perfect thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I changed to 40 posts too. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

if we beat Chelsea great stuff
    it's going to be our second team anyway i hope
    it is wan match im really not to bothered about tbh
    we have bigger games to come imo

i will be roaring us on regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lukker- wrote: »
    As a great man once said about a former player scoring against his own club:

Any criticism of him is just a push back against his digs. He's a Chelsea legend and will go down as the greatest manager in the clubs history. It's also tough to see a man who was revered by the fans at a rival club, after what turned out to be a messy break-up.

I guarantee he will get an excellent reception at Stamford Bridge, just like he did last time he came.

How many United fans changed their mind about him once he joined? Many United supporters would have labelled him poison and considered United to be above appointing a manager such as him. What are those opinions now? Football fans are fickle.

Genuine question, what digs has he had against Chelsea since his last sacking?

I've not seen anything, either in video or press.

Aside from Gavs post above, most (not all) of what I've seen from Chelsea fans about Jose are jabs.

The man brought CFC a huge amount of success, its practically his team personnel wise that are romping the league currently but most of what I see is petty, disrespectful, needle.

It has absolutely no bearing what some United fans thought of him, they support the team, not the manager.

The venom directed at Jose by a lot of Chelsea fans pales in comparison to what a lot of United fans would say about the disaster that was Moyes.

Football fans are fickle, that's the modern game, but to compare how rival fans spoke about a rival manager to how fans speak about a former manager that brought the club unprecedented success is deflection of the highest order.

Anyway, opinions, we all have em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Talk of Fellaini up front is amazing.

Could you just imagine if it transpires he was some lethal striker in hiding :D

One thing for sure, him going into headers with Luiz is going to be amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    Talk of Fellaini up front is amazing.

Could you just imagine if it transpires he was some lethal striker in hiding :D

One thing for sure, him going into headers with Luiz is going to be amazing

Can't see what other option Jose has available to him - other than playing so weird false everthing formation

Herrera--Carrick--Pogba
    Lingard
    Mkhitaryan
    Mata

Actually - didn't Jose put out a Chelsea team vs United with no strikers? Moyes game against them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'd love to see Mata up front with Fellaini behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Am I the only one expecting to see Rashford in the squad/team?

Expecting to see him at the very least, Martial wouldn't shock me either but certainly Rashford.

Rumours floating around last night almost immediately that he joined the train at a different stop.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I think it shows Felliani's value to be honest, we are missing four strikers and yet still have a viable option to put in there.

I think it shows Felliani's value to be honest, we are missing four strikers and yet still have a viable option to put in there.

"Viable". Not so sure on that, to be honest.

I would be hopefully he could at least provide a target for others to play off - we would need to get pace around him and beyond him. I can't see our creative players being able to create for him cause he won't be latching on to through balls. Hopefully the game doesn't decent into defending and just lumping the ball towards him

I would be hopefully he could at least provide a target for others to play off - we would need to get pace around him and beyond him. I can't see our creative players being able to create for him cause he won't be latching on to through balls. Hopefully the game doesn't decent into defending and just lumping the ball towards him

Defending deep and using him as an outlet is a viable choice though, we can't expect him to be showing Messi like skills but if we are missing 4 strikers against a top team then I would rather have this option than not.

Say he wasn't there, would it be better to have Ashley Young up front or some sort of false nine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He got over 10 league goals before. For Everton in a defensive formation. I remember around the same time Toure playing a similar role and getting smaller returns and being called world class. Fellaini is a good player and hasn't let United down when called upon (penalty concession against Everton aside).

• Advertisement

Defending deep and using him as an outlet is a viable choice though, we can't expect him to be showing Messi like skills but if we are missing 4 strikers against a top team then I would rather have this option than not.

Say he wasn't there, would it be better to have Ashley Young up front or some sort of false nine?

Being the better choice of a bunch of bad choices doesn't really show how valuable he is, imo, nor point to him being particularly viable.

Yes, I would take him over Young up front. but if Fellaini was out I would play Young over Lingard up top, for example, and that doesn't mean Young is 'viable' or show how valuable people should consider him

Couldn't see Fellaini been put up front tonight I think it would be crazy to put anyone else up there other then Miki.

I can see Fellaini just behind him alright and pushed up front after 60 minutes if we need goals but I think Miki will start he is intelligent enough to lead the line and he is scoring goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ill always respect Jose but hes done nothing but have shots at Chelsea since about November.

Its understandable hes bitter, he was sacked from a job he wanted to keep for a long time and the players didnt exactly cover themselves in glory in his final weeks and i dont think anyone will ever know the ins and outs of that.

But ya, Ive huge respect for what hes done but ive no love for him and his mind games now but as a rival manager, Id expect that TBH, he'll, we had it for 6 years where he was winding up everyome. Its food when hes on your side, he builds an agenda and seige mentality that gets you hated, if he wasnt trying to kick the hornets nest id be more worried about him loosing his edge, which he hasnt lost.

How? Nothing has changed much except Chelsea fans have become more like Arsenal fans, whenever Jose says anything about the club you guys act like he is taking shots. Worse is you even just take the quotes out of context and call him bitter. It's like reading Arsenal fans posts.

Jose saying Chelsea are defensively solid is not being bitter, it's complimenting their style. Somehow you act like he is taking shots. (not what he said yesterday, it's few months back).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lukker- wrote: »
    Any criticism of him is just a push back against his digs..

What digs are these? Can you post the quotes with context rather than some twitter account taking everything out of context?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I wouldnt mind seeing Lingard given a go up front. You would expect Utd to play very deep and defensively. The main strength of his game is pace and his ability to find space where others dont. Whatever your opinion of him he makes some great runs during a game.

He could be a really good outlet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement