Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

adox wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind seeing Lingard given a go up front. You would expect Utd to play very deep and defensively. The main strength of his game is pace and his ability to find space where others dont. Whatever your opinion of him he makes some great runs during a game.

He could be a really good outlet.

Good call imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Jose saying Chelsea are defensively solid is not being bitter, it's complimenting their style. Somehow you act like he is taking shots. (not what he said yesterday, it's few months back).

I'll say this. I did read those comments as a shot against Chelsea, or a dig at their playing style. I can't remember the exact quote, but there was something along the lines of "I thought they did not want a defensive style", or something like that.

Now, I'll add two things...

1. I didn't read them as "bitter"; I read them as him joking around, taking a dig but more of a friendly one than one of a man bitter about being fired. I'd have to see the video of the quote t make a certain judgement, but that's my initial reading of them.

2. As childish as it sounds, Chelsea started the digs for this match with their twitter post about us moving from sixth to sixth with our form. I detest the word "banter", but if Chelsea want to take a dig at United like that, then turnabout is fair play from Jose.

Warren Joyce has just been sacked by Wigan,he didn't last very long!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39255049

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would take him back at United - considering we haven't replaced him with an permanent replacement. Was/Is very highly rated at United for the work he did at the club already.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Warren Joyce has just been sacked by Wigan,he didn't last very long!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39255049

Am disappointed to hear that. Everything I've read is that he was very highly regarded at United, and I was happy to see him get a proper managerial job. Says they only won 6 games in 24. Was it really that bad for him? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'll say this. I did read those comments as a shot against Chelsea, or a dig at their playing style. I can't remember the exact quote, but there was something along the lines of "I thought they did not want a defensive style", or something like that.

1. I didn't read them as "bitter"; I read them as him joking around, taking a dig but more of a friendly one than one of a man bitter about being fired. I'd have to see the video of the quote t make a certain judgement, but that's my initial reading of them.

2. As childish as it sounds, Chelsea started the digs for this match with their twitter post about us moving from sixth to sixth with our form. I detest the word "banter", but if Chelsea want to take a dig at United like that, then turnabout is fair play from Jose.

Actually that bit didn't surprise me at all. Chelsea site is very classless (not club mind, just whoever the idiot who runs the site/ writes the report), you have to read their match reports when they lose any game, it's like some bitter guy spouting some random ****, at least it was like that before this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Am disappointed to hear that. Everything I've read is that he was very highly regarded at United, and I was happy to see him get a proper managerial job. Says they only won 6 games in 24. Was it really that bad for him? :/

They won one of his first ten games in charge. Then five of the next fourteen. Then he was sacked. 20 points from his 22 league games. Before he arrived they had 14 points from 17 games. The club is obviously being badly run as this is the fifth sacking in the four seasons since Roberto Martinez left the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Can't see what other option Jose has available to him - other than playing so weird false everthing formation

Herrera--Carrick--Pogba
    Lingard
    Mkhitaryan
    Mata

Actually - didn't Jose put out a Chelsea team vs United with no strikers? Moyes game against them?

Have to say I'm really not feeling the interest in the game tonight. As much as I had got on board with the team the last while and was enjoying watching them, the silly dropped points has me just infuriated to then "meh expected" which is a sad state for me to be in as a fan. You probably notice I'm not even posting that much, just feeling a bit disenfranchised.

Can't help feel tonight for whatever is said or done, is kinda just being forfeit with focus all going into the Europa League. Normally I'd organise to watch the games on the telly but I've told herself I'll be up on the PC playing games and will throw the match on the second screen, so won't even pay that much attention.

Not to be construed as me having a melodramatic meltdown, I just get like that with this team over the last few years. Their inability to kick on and grasp openings is infuriating, and I'm starting to feel like I'm a bit of a sap getting so worked up on what is so evidently and obviously going to happen week to week.

I know that sounds a bit "fake fan" sort of stuff, but think I've stuck through thick and thin the last few years that I can be a comfortable not getting so invested at the moment where it's literally affecting my mood.

I just think back to the summer and the excitement I had, and this season has just really being a massive failure, for me, regardless what happens for the rest. I definitely won't let myself get that excited and hyped again next summer. Probably in reality, in the space where there is convincing to be done with me here about the Manager and the team, being good enough.

God even looking back at the point I thought things were turning, such a false dawn when you look at the dropped points and the teams we beat. Can't get passed looking at our total statistics compared with the rest of the league. Embarrassing.

Would take him back at United - considering we haven't replaced him with an permanent replacement. Was/Is very highly rated at United for the work he did at the club already.

**Devils advocate, not my actual feelings**

Why should we be so quick to take him back? While highly regarded, looking at a large span of time, there has been no academy prospect provided to supplement the first team in any meaningful way.

At present, we have Pogba we bought back so he is an edge case. Rashford looks like he might but who knows and Lingard in my view won't make the grade.

While appreciating his remit is to the under 21 squad or whatever we call it now, it's the stepping stone into the first team, and I'd have questions has the focus being on that, or just winning stuff at that age level which in truth, the fans and club are not too concerned about.

Not only are we not receiving any suppliments to the first team squad who can establish themselves and become top players, we don't even seem to be making good value on the large amount of players we sell. Considering we are supposed to be scouting and recruiting the best, we are not really even making value.

We are being totally outclassed and overshadowed by City at the moment, and maybe some questions should be asked about what we are doing and more specifically what the staff are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Agree with you about tonight Doc but as a whole we are in a much better place now than we were for 3 years so I'm happy with the progress so far. Just got to grind it out now till the end of season and see what happens. A EL cup win would see all the frustration of this season wiped out. Fingers are crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Jose saying Chelsea are defensively solid is not being bitter, it's complimenting their style. Somehow you act like he is taking shots. (not what he said yesterday, it's few months back).

He's being saying the same thing all season. Don't think it's in response to a match preview written on a website. After the game at Stamford Bridge he said Chelsea were a team who could only play on the counter and that it was suicide to concede early. (Majority of goals scored that day were counters)

He's repeated the claims a good few times throughout the season. Chelsea fans know him well enough to know when he's aiming a thinly veiled dig at someone, I guess we just have to get used to them being at us now that we're rivals. I used to love that Jose was a WUM at Chelsea, but now we get to see it from other fans perspective and it's always gonna seem more antagonistic!

Lastly, i will say i watched him on football focus and thought he gave a very good interview and was somewhat conciliatory. He's been talking about Chelsea's lack of European football as a major advantage for a while now, without any reference to the role he played in that. He took responsibility for that failure for the first time in the interview.

When there is no malice to him, i could listen to him talk for hours, even as a rival.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

TheDoc wrote: »
    Have to say I'm really not feeling the interest in the game tonight. As much as I had got on board with the team the last while and was enjoying watching them, the silly dropped points has me just infuriated to then "meh expected" which is a sad state for me to be in as a fan. You probably notice I'm not even posting that much, just feeling a bit disenfranchised.

Can't help feel tonight for whatever is said or done, is kinda just being forfeit with focus all going into the Europa League. Normally I'd organise to watch the games on the telly but I've told herself I'll be up on the PC playing games and will throw the match on the second screen, so won't even pay that much attention.

Not to be construed as me having a melodramatic meltdown, I just get like that with this team over the last few years. Their inability to kick on and grasp openings is infuriating, and I'm starting to feel like I'm a bit of a sap getting so worked up on what is so evidently and obviously going to happen week to week.

I know that sounds a bit "fake fan" sort of stuff, but think I've stuck through thick and thin the last few years that I can be a comfortable not getting so invested at the moment where it's literally affecting my mood.

I just think back to the summer and the excitement I had, and this season has just really being a massive failure, for me, regardless what happens for the rest. I definitely won't let myself get that excited and hyped again next summer. Probably in reality, in the space where there is convincing to be done with me here about the Manager and the team, being good enough.

God even looking back at the point I thought things were turning, such a false dawn when you look at the dropped points and the teams we beat. Can't get passed looking at our total statistics compared with the rest of the league. Embarrassing.

this is a wind up? please say yes
    season a massive failure? they could up winning every comp they have entered bar the league.

no, ure winding us up, please say yes, ??:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Who are all these world class players City have produced?

You simply cannot judge a youth academy by the number of top drawer, world class players coming from it, because those players are so rare that the chances of them coming from one particular youth team is minute, no matter how good the set-up is. There is a huge random factor in developing kids, your top class, brilliantly run academy might never have a talent like Messi walk through its doors, whereas 100 miles down the road some small club could strike gold when a local parent brings the next Ronaldo to an open day.

The best way to judge a youth system is how it does with the kids that pass through its doors, and considering the English league is flooded with ex-Manchester United trainee's I would consider that a sign of a youth academy doing a good job.

Have we had a lot of first team players from it recently? We have had a few but the real question is how many our rivals have had? Man city sure aren't passing on De Bruyne or Sterling because of their youth academy, thats for sure.

Lukker- wrote: »
    He's being saying the same thing all season. Don't think it's in response to a match preview written on a website. After the game at Stamford Bridge he said Chelsea were a team who could only play on the counter and that it was suicide to concede early. (Majority of goals scored that day were counters)

He's repeated the claims a good few times throughout the season. Chelsea fans know him well enough to know when he's aiming a thinly veiled dig at someone, I guess we just have to get used to them being at us now that we're rivals. I used to love that Jose was a WUM at Chelsea, but now we get to see it from other fans perspective and it's always gonna seem more antagonistic!

Lastly, i will say i watched him on football focus and thought he gave a very good interview and was somewhat conciliatory. He's been talking about Chelsea's lack of European football as a major advantage for a while now, without any reference to the role he played in that. He took responsibility for that failure for the first time in the interview.

When there is no malice to him, i could listen to him talk for hours, even as a rival.

I think people love to read between the lines and build a script for soap opera.

Btw so saying Chelsea have advantage because they don't have midweek games is a dig and you guys want Jose to take responsibility, but when Jose says he won the league before that he is full of himself.

Bit weird as I thought Chelsea fans knew how he media likes to twist what was said but like I said they are also taking the bait now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i think the youth set up hasnt been successful as the players are not playing and contributing to united. yes there is many players around the leagues form the set up but in the last 10 years how many of them have been good for united very few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Who are all these world class players City have produced?

Man City's youth academy aka the best young players that money can poach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

if fellaini starts up front it will be easy for chelsea, we need someone to run in behind or pull defenders out of position. i would start with Mkhitarayan or lingard up front, someone with a bit of pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

bangkok wrote: »
    if fellaini starts up front it will be easy for chelsea, we need someone to run in behind or pull defenders out of position. i would start with Mkhitarayan or lingard up front, someone with a bit of pace

Either approach could work and neither is guaranteed to upset them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sky88 wrote: »
    i think the youth set up hasnt been successful as the players are not playing and contributing to united. yes there is many players around the leagues form the set up but in the last 10 years how many of them have been good for united very few.

This is true, imo, and I believe the club has basically admitted to failures in the scouting and recruitment at youth level - hence the large amount of staffing changes in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lingard is a good cup player, he has scored under pressure - as in playing in two finals, tonight is a good chance for him to do something.
    He has goals in him, unfortunately he has not scored as many as I expected over the years, but I don't care if his goals are vital goals, or cup goals, he has helped deliver silverware to United.
    I would love if he could do something tonight.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Lingard is a good cup player, he has scored under pressure - as in playing in two finals, tonight is a good chance for him to do something.
    He has goals in him, unfortunately he has not scored as many as I expected over the years, but I don't care if his goals are vital goals, or cup goals, he has helped deliver silverware to United.
    I would love if he could do something tonight.

i would love if anyone did something tonight and we get a result. hopefully an early red card for john terry if he plays and a peno for united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

i would love if anyone did something tonight and we get a result. hopefully an early red card for john terry if he plays and a peno for united

I'd take a one nil victory tonight even a JT og :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mkhitaryan's stats for his final season at Dortmund are outstanding/world class at 23 goals and 32 assists in 52 games, currently 7 goals and 5 assists in 25 games for United, he is becoming a regular goalscorer now, and I think his influence will continue to grow in the team.

Fellaini could win it for us, but for me, Mkhitaryan, Lingard and Pogba could do something tonight. I know some think it is bad with all our strikers gone AWOL, but it is a great opportunity for others to take some of the leadership that Ibrahimovic has been showing, and I think anything is possible tonight.
    Before last Saturday night, there were people giving the last rites to the Kilkenny hurling team, and I feel some are giving United the last rites before tonight.
    I hope it is a good game and we can do something in the 90 minutes.

kayevajo wrote: »
    this is a wind up? please say yes
    season a massive failure? they could up winning every comp they have entered bar the league.

no, ure winding us up, please say yes, ??:eek:

Yeah I think it is. The signs were very clear from the manager and club in the summer, I bought into that message, and was just massively let down by it. The message was we were going to compete, in the league. Sure Jose was slagging of the Europa league early on, and now it's looking the priority : /

Might I feel different winning the Europa league? maybe. I don't see us getting past Chelsea tonight that's for sure.

The league was really the yard stick this season for me, and sorry to me it's been pretty abysmal.

While yes there is blame I appropriation to the manager and players I'm not calling for anyones head or calling crisis. I just think looking back objectively there was a spell there where I got caught up in"wow this is going places" but in reality we didn't go anywhere, papered over some cracks and while it was nice saying things like being undefeated in X games, when it came to the crunch the team and manager just failed to deliver. The players more so.

As a whole I'm happy with Mourinho and the squad, and do "feel" it will get better next season with him having a full season to get rid of wht he doesn't want and getting in what he feels he needs. I think it's very clear this is not a new Mourinho, from likely the clubs direction this is the normal Mourinho who won't really give youth a chance and instead will buy ready made first team upgrades to make this team compete and win. And I was clear I'd be fine with that. Sure it's nice seeing local lads or youth products playing, but more important to me is winning, more important is competing.

The United way for me has been glory, winning, accumulating trophies. Not playing 4-4-2 with wingers and young players. That is a fantasy that reached the levels of Barca's La Masa levels of trumpet blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

This is true, imo, and I believe the club has basically admitted to failures in the scouting and recruitment at youth level - hence the large amount of staffing changes in the last 12 months.
    This is a fantastic article outlining the battle for the youth between the two Manchester clubs.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/longform_manchester_cold_war

sky88 wrote: »

It's not the problem with just United though. Young player should be special talent to make it at big clubs especially if they are from academy and we will be lucky to have 1 player like that once in a while. Best we can hope is saving money by promoting them to squad players rather than spending too much on squad players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

TheDoc wrote: »

Have some uncle pat to cheer ya up ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRkqwmbhXYw/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The "What Fella will play up front" match thread is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102904315#post102904315

Lol can we make one for what fella will play behind him?

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Have some uncle pat to cheer ya up ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRkqwmbhXYw/

great to have a player like him in the dressing room. great craic and very positive but on the pitch 100 focused. a proper utd legend. will be a club ambassador i would imagine when he retires

great to have a player like him in the dressing room. great craic and very positive but on the pitch 100 focused. a proper utd legend. will be a club ambassador i would imagine when he retires

I couldn't imagine him been an ambassador he dont come across as that type of guy I'd definitely think he will go onto coaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Rashford should start. He travelled separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mokuba wrote: »
    Rashford should start. He travelled separately.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Can't really say but the Sun has picked up the travelled part anyway.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3079962/chelsea-vs-manchester-united-marcus-rashford/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love to have a pint with Evra, some man

Love to have a pint with Evra, some man

You may get behind bangkok in the queue unfortunately... He may never drink again after that experience :):)

Id actually say the man is mental without drink I don't think he even drinks aint he a devout Muslim or something to that effect.

I couldn't imagine him been an ambassador he dont come across as that type of guy I'd definitely think he will go onto coaching.

what type of guy do you need to be to be an ambassador? :p

id say it would suit him down to the ground, going around the world meeting fans

what type of guy do you need to be to be an ambassador? :p

id say it would suit him down to the ground, going around the world meeting fans

No i mean I think he seems like he would actually want to be involved in player coaching side of it. He seems like he would actually like to work for his wages ;)

• Advertisement

No i mean I think he seems like he would actually want to be involved in player coaching side of it. He seems like he would actually like to work for his wages ;)

yea u never know though, i always though denis irwin would get into coaching and he didnt, or Paul Scholes would be the last person you would see as a pundit and he is one now

yea u never know though, i always though denis irwin would get into coaching and he didnt, or Paul Scholes would be the last person you would see as a pundit and he is one now

Haha as if he was listening to us he is now on bein sport talking about coaching and returning to marseile ;)

20170313_173429.jpgupload images

Haha as if he was listening to us he is now on bein sport talking about coaching and returning to marseile ;)

20170313_173429.jpgupload images

i just text him there a min ago... told him to give a shout out to Jayo...stay tuned in :)

i just text him there a min ago... told him to give a shout out to Jayo...stay tuned in :)

Yehh he says to tell you he can't go for that pint with ya he has to wash his hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/841359461700771840

3 or 5 at the back. Possibly 6 with young lol :P

Guessing...
    Jones - Smalling - Rojo
    Valencia
    Darmian
    Herrera- Pogba
    Mkhit
    Rashford
    Young

In a 5-2-3?

DDG, Valencia, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Darmian, Herrera, Pogba, Young, Mkhitaryan, Rashford.

Subs: Romero, Bailly, Blind, Carrick, Fellaini, Lingard, Mata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I didn't get to see much of the game in Thursday but what I seen from of it looked we played a 3/5 at back so this lineup isn't a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Hope we dont find ourselves chasing the game needing goals because that bench.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Any game with Rashford in it is instantly better for me to watch. I'll enjoy this game now. Still don't care if we lose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement