Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jayop wrote: »
    After the red card Fellaini came on and Pogba was pushed further up the field centrally. That was a tactical decision and he never seen the ball as a result.

What do you want him to do? Tell the manager to f-off and that he wants to play deeper?

Finally someone said it. I was waiting to see who would say it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Zlatan banned
    Herrera suspended
    Rojo will probably get something too now.
    Plus the injuries of Martial & Rooney.

It's all or nothing now till the end of the season. Lose 1 or two games and our season will be over in a flash. Jose needs to pick up the lads for Thursday. Europa is massive now!!!!

No offence but Europa is a waste of time. Micky mouse cup that the scousers love.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Well I wasn't expecting much from this game, but this game could really derail our season. Herrara looks like he may get a 2 game ban and Rojo possibly 3 or more. Ibra already out for the next 2 makes the games against WBA and Middlesborough more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

bangkok wrote: »
    It means we can give our full attention to getting into top 4 and europa league.

I hardly think the few FA Cup games so far this season have been the cause for losing focus when drawing with the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth and Liverpool at Old Trafford.

The momentum a good cup run brings is worth more than an extra game's rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Kante had a release clause. That's why Chelsea got him so cheap.

So did Fellaini. How'd that work out for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Just seen the youtube video of the stamp. Nah, I don't think that's a stamp or a ban. He pulls the leg up immediately upon contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It means we can give our full attention to getting into top 4 and europa league.

Without the distraction of that one extra game?

No offence but Europa is a waste of time. Micky mouse cup that the scousers love.

Waste of time? It's a major European trophy and it's a route into the champions league next season.:confused:

adox wrote: »
    For obstruction and for a brain dead foul direct from a free kick given after the ref called the Utd captain over to warn him about the constant fouling on Hazard.

It was idiotic from Herrera.

Blaming the ref is grasping.

The ref was poor and lacks consistency. Valencia should have been booked for a reckless challenge yet wasn't. Cahill hauls Rashford down on the halfway line and doesn't even get a word in his ear.

For obstruction and for a brain dead foul direct from a free kick given after the ref called the Utd captain over to warn him about the constant fouling on Hazard.

It's not. It was never a second yellow, context or not. Awful decision, especially from a ref that let so much go from players in blue in the same game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lads I know it's the Internet but fuk me some of the ridiculous digs and remarks at each other are beyond childish.

First sign of a defeat and it turns into a battle of insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

I could see how it was given but it was very soft imo. It seemed more as if the ref was pissed off at how quick we were to hack into Hazard's legs after just instructing the players to be careful.

We were still in the game and tactics seemed to be on point. Herrera sent off, Miki came off, Fellaini on, completely different game and it all went tits up from there. Never got back into the game. The referee fcuked us over big time once again.

The red card was beyond ridiculous. Really really beyond it. Costa should have been booked multiple times and William should have been booked too for diving.

But yeah, the red card. :mad:

I've zero problem with the sending off.

I agree about the other two players though although Utd should have had Rojo and Valencia booked as well.

He didn't feck us over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Granted it was idiotic from Herrera to give the ref the opportunity but that doesn't make it a sending off.

Nobody on the panel thought it was a second yellow. Valencia's reaction said it all and he was probably in the best position to see the actual tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Why is it a waste of time with a CL place for the winners ? Surely if it was one or the other between Europa or 4th whats the point in picking 4th unless thats a waste of time too...

Just seen the youtube video of the stamp. Nah, I don't think that's a stamp or a ban. He pulls the leg up immediately upon contact.

Had the incident with Mings not happened last week then maybe he would have had a chance, but I expect Rojo to get the book thrown at him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

LiamoSail wrote: »
    So did Fellaini. How'd that work out for you?

I'd blame Dithering Dave for that tbh. Knew when the clause expired but opted to spend time chasing unobtainable targets.

It's not. It was never a second yellow, context or not. Awful decision, especially from a ref that let so much go from players in blue in the same game.

I've seen them given all the time. No problem with it. Idiotic from Herrera.

The minute it happened I knew whoever had been penalised would be booked. Nothing shocking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lads I know it's the Internet but fuk me some of the ridiculous digs and remarks at each other are beyond childish.

First sign of a defeat and it turns into a battle of insults.

It gets emotional, it'll be all good tomorrow, thankfully the games come thick and fast so don't need to dwell on that defeat for too long

• Advertisement

edgecutter wrote: »
    Had the incident with Mings not happened last week then maybe he would have had a chance, but I expect Rojo to get the book thrown at him.

Mings stamped on someones head, rojo didnt stamp on anyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mings' stamp was to the head, Rojo's wasn't. If he get's a ban it'll be the normal 3 match ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

It's not a 2nd yellow for a players who's made 1 foul previous. Yes Hazard was systematically fouled and yes that's disingenuous but within the rules of the game.

You do not book players based on the fouls against a certain player you book a player on the context of each individual foul. That's simply the rules and tonight that's not a yellow.

Smashing performance after that everyone worked their balls off and it took a great strike 25 yards out to beat us.

Rojo is a right warrior. I've said it in the match thread I don't think it was a stamp and if the mings incident doesn't happen that's an innocuous coming together, gravity playing it's part.

However there will be widespread condemnation now and the FA will feel obliged to cite him.

Oliver is a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Is boards segregated these days?

Only having a laugh. This place would be no craic if fans only posted in their own super threads.

Anyways unlucky tonight, the second yellow was harsh and we certainly would have gotten a better game with 11 vs 11.

Jose has given you a mean defence, even with 11 v 10, Chelsea couldn't kill the game off.

Best of luck in Europa, even as a Chelsea fan I wouldn't mind seeing United in the CL. It makes me sad that English teams are so sh*te in Europe and I know Jose would take the team far, just like he always did with Chelsea.

mewe wrote: »
    Granted it was idiotic from Herrera to give the ref the opportunity but that doesn't make it a sending off.

Nobody on the panel thought it was a second yellow. Valencia's reaction said it all and he was probably in the best position to see the actual tackle.

It's a second yellow. Ref talks to the captain after Hazard is fouled for the seventh or eight time in the half and warns him about the constant fouling of the player. Free kick is taken, maybe a ten yard pass to Hazard and he's fouled.

It was idiotic from Herrera and got what he deserved imo.

It can be debated but I don't get the "ref fecked us over, never a second yellow in a million years" narrative being spun

Mings stamped on someones head, rojo didnt stamp on anyone.

He'll get a ban, the bbc have set the wheels in motion.

• Advertisement

The ref was poor and lacks consistency. Valencia should have been booked for a reckless challenge yet wasn't. Cahill hauls Rashford down on the halfway line and doesn't even get a word in his ear.

I don't disagree with any of that.

See this on twitter...

"Pogba has started 104 games for club and country since the start of last season. It's a ****load of football"

Def needs a rest. Let him come back fresh. Would give him this thur off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I'd blame Dithering Dave for that tbh. Knew when the clause expired but opted to spend time chasing unobtainable targets.

Tbf, he was probably right to aim higher given Fellaini was always there as a last resort. I'm sure the extra few million it cost hardly matters to United in the grand scheme of things

Lukker- wrote: »
    Is boards segregated these days?

Only having a laugh. This place would be no craic if fans only posted in their own super threads.

Anyways unlucky tonight, the second yellow was harsh and we certainly would have gotten a better game with 11 vs 11.

Jose has given you a mean defence, even with 11 v 10, Chelsea couldn't kill the game off.

Best of luck in Europa, even as a Chelsea fan I wouldn't mind seeing United in the CL. It makes me sad that English teams are so sh*te in Europe and I know Jose would take the team far, just like he always did with Chelsea.

This place would be no craic if everyone just went into oppo threads straight after games with the sole intention of wumming people. If you wanted to come in to chat about the game and not behave like you did then you'd be more than welcome.

See this on twitter...

"Pogba has started 104 games for club and country since the start of last season. It's a ****load of football"

Tbh, I think that's somewhat on Jose. He seems to play every single minute. He's not a machine and surely at some point it's diminishing returns playing him. You can play Ibra every minute, because he's a beast, and his game style isn't running heavy. Pogba has to play in both boxes and get all over the pitch.

• Advertisement

No offence but it's probably our whole season now and best chance of getting CL football next season.

This place would be no craic if everyone just went into oppo threads straight after games with the sole intention of wumming people. If you wanted to come in to chat about the game and not behave like you did then you'd be more than welcome.

Wasn't wumming, just calling out a ridiculous post. Happens in every thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

It's a second yellow. Ref talks to the captain after Hazard is fouled for the seventh or eight time in the half and warns him about the constant fouling of the player. Free kick is taken, maybe a ten yard pass to Hazard and he's fouled.

It was idiotic from Herrera and got what he deserved imo.

It can be debated but I don't get the "ref fecked us over, never a second yellow in a million years" narrative being spun

Yeah I wouldn't say it was never a red in a million years. I've seen them given. I thought it was harsh though and didn't warrant a second yellow.

We'll take it we're not going to agree on this one.

See this on twitter...

Ah ok. He's tired. That's it. Wasn't it Jose fault a few posts back for pushing him further forward in the second half and not getting the service though? You know the thing you knew but held back, waiting for someone else to point it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

The Europa has a bigger award than both the EFL and FA Cup combined!! Call it whatever you want - we need to go all out in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

De Gea should have done better.

Ah ok. He's tired. That's it. Wasn't it Jose fault a few posts back for pushing him further forward in the second half and not getting the service though? You know the thing you knew but held back, waiting for someone else to point it out?

Was I wrong in saying it was a tactical decision?

How do you expect Pogba should have done better in the second half given where he was playing and the service he got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

764dak wrote: »

Yep. Made two excellent saves but got caught on the hop for Kante's pretty average shot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

764dak wrote: »

Kante shot as De Gea jumped to bounce on his feet. Caught completely off guard and couldn't start the dive till the ball was already on its way to the side of the net :/
    No offence but it's probably our whole season now and best chance of getting CL football next season.

Yeah.

I'm very reluctant to put all our hopes on the EL, quite simply because I don't have faith in us to play, what, 5 games and not lose or slip up?

But we've been sixth for ages now, and there's a reason for that. Based on this season, thats where we deserve to be. I've zero faith in us being able to take advantage of anyone dropping points because we've not been able to for months.

EL looks the better path towards CL football next year. It should be the priority now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

How can anyone defend Rojos stamp. Clearly put the boot into Hazards chest. Stupid clown

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    How can anyone defend Rojos stamp. Clearly put the boot into Hazards chest. Stupid clown

It looks bad but after watching it a few times I don't think it was intentional. Hazard fell below him and once the foot touched him he pulled it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's not a 2nd yellow for a players who's made 1 foul previous. Yes Hazard was systematically fouled and yes that's disingenuous but within the rules of the game.

You do not book players based on the fouls against a certain player you book a player on the context of each individual foul. That's simply the rules and tonight that's not a yellow.
    That's not how the game works and its all the better for it.

You're less likely to get a yellow card for the exact same challenge in the first minute compared to the sixtieth.

If we were getting kicked around the pitch we'd be more than happy for the ref to step in.

Herrera ****ed up. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United needed Fellaini and at least another that season in the middle at least. He was never really fit that season at all imo. It was on Moyes and Woodward. Moyes wanted Fabregas, Thiago and Herrera, the farce that all 3 of those turned into can't be put down to him, at least not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Why is it a waste of time with a CL place for the winners ? Surely if it was one or the other between Europa or 4th whats the point in picking 4th unless thats a waste of time too...

I stand corrected. Forgot about the CL place for winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

After the red card Fellaini came on and Pogba was pushed further up the field centrally. That was a tactical decision and he never seen the ball as a result.

What do you want him to do? Tell the manager to f-off and that he wants to play deeper?

No, I would like for him to pick up opposition midfielders who are around our box or at least make a decent effort to close them down after the initial lapse to allow a man receive the ball under no pressure in shooting distance.

I couldn't give a flying **** what he was asked to do when we were not defending the edge of our box, he was in position, he had a man to pick up, he didn't and then didn't make a proper effort to close him down.

I want him to start to show signs he is developing a brain for sniffing out danger, I want him to start to impose himself on teams, I want him to do lots of things but am aware he is not capable at the minute. Nothing has changed from when he was bought, look back at my posts regarding his signing before he even came in, the same weaknesses are obvious. He will of course improve, surely, but I don't see a problem with stating an obvious point. Get up in a heap about it if you like.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

It looks bad but after watching it a few times I don't think it was intentional. Hazard fell below him and once the foot touched him he pulled it away.

Not likely. Once Mings boot touched Ibra he pulled it away too. And they will see he was acting the maggot with Costsa during the game [ not saying he was to blame for that]
    He will get 3 games IMO

If rojo stamped on hazard he would have rolled around about 10 times and would have needed an ambulance to take him off the pitch. Very little in it. Would be very surprised if the panel do him for it

Robson99 wrote: »
    Not likely. Once Mings boot touched Ibra he pulled it away too. And they will see he was acting the maggot with Costsa during the game [ not saying he was to blame for that]
    He will get 3 games IMO

The comparison to Mings one is silly really. Mings looked down to see where Zlatan was, then he forced his foot down. He didn't lift his boot on contact, it slid off Zlatan's head and continued down.

They're nothing like the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

The comparison to Mings one is silly really. Mings looked down to see where Zlatan was, then he forced his foot down. He didn't lift his boot on contact, it slid off Zlatan's head and continued down.

They're nothing like the same.

Exactly, 100pc this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How do you expect Pogba should have done better in the second half given where he was playing and the service he got?

And yet nobody is criticising Rashford who was even further forward and getting even less service.

Pogba bring pushed forward is one of the weakest defences for a poor performance I've heard in a while, he wasn't told to stand by the corner flag you know, he could have done a lot more than he did.

Fact is, before the game we knew we needed a big performance from him. Yet again we didn't get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement