Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

He definitely is getting an easy ride, but there is justification for it. He is quality coach and proven track winner. He is in his first season and likely will build a really competitive squad. He has brought some tweaks and changes that have improved the style to be more appeasing for fans. He is a character and coach that just makes United more of a feared entity, if not now, likely next season. You cannot ever ignore a Mourinho team.

But yeah, considering the management of some players and the terrible league campaign for what keeps getting called "the most expensive squad in the history of football" of course he is falling short. But that is not to say he needs to get hounded out for it or be under pressure.

And while I don't particularly like ever conceding another team is better then us, maybe that's why Mourinho is very succesfull. Interesting to know who you support. If the likes of Wengerand Klopp had some more tactical invention and realistic outlooks on their strengths and weakness' maybe they would do better in the big games, where sometimes you need to soak up pressure or let a team onto you to huff and puff and try hit them on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bandage wrote: »
    Mourinho seems to be getting quite an easy ride from Manchester United supporters.

Unlike people fishing for reactions, actual supporters have been following the team through the last 3 years and so know where the team was when Mourinho started. That context matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Also, I think we'd be in a better spot if the players could finish the chances that have been created. So many points dropped at home in games we should have won - games we created enough in to win. I think Jose generally set the team up correctly in those games, and it was the players he dropped the points - rather than under LVG or Moyes where the setup of the team was conservative and a bigger part of the problem.

Yes, there have been games where I think Jose has got it wrong - or substitutions that were, imo, incorrect. But overall I am happy with the direction of the team and the general style and approach Mourinho is taking. If it clicks, on the pitch, with a few more signings, we could become a great side. Under Moyes I never felt it could 'click', and under LVG I gave up on him getting it to 'click' in a successful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

bangkok wrote: »
    Well 3 former referees sitting on a judging panel agree with me.

Goodnight

Sounds like you are making things up. Got a source for that?

Didn't he get away with it because the ref says he saw it and dealt with it at the time (obviously deeming it accidental) and as such it didn't come before the panel for review?

If a ref says he saw something, I think the FA have to consider the case to be extraordinary before they can deal with it retrospectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pro. F wrote: »
    Sounds like you are making things up. Got a source for that?

Actually it turns out the ref put it in his report, said there was nothing in it so it didnt go to the 3 man panel for review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I see rostov have been banned by the Russian league from hosting games at home until they improve the condition if the pitch.

It's crazy that the Russian league are prepared to act bit uefa didn't see any problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭secman

See Mourinho talking bollix about Pogba , it beggars belief how he is treating him so differently to Miki, Shaw, Rooney. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bandage

I regard Jones, Rojo and Fellaini as cloggers. I understand there may be a desperation and desire to see Manchester United competing for the title again but that can evolve into believing things are rosier than they actually are. It isn't fishing on my part - I haven't been particularly impressed with Manchester United under Mourinho and I believe the football isn't much more inspiring than what went before it. I think Mourinho's a busted flush at this stage but I accept it won't really be until this time next year that such a conclusion can be verified or otherwise.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    See Mourinho talking bollix about Pogba , it beggars belief how he is treating him so differently to Miki, Shaw, Rooney. :(:(

You know nothing that is going on in training. Miki shaw and rooney could have been all not training to the standards that jose wanted

Its his call though, and obviously he feels that Pogba requires a different approach than Miki or Shaw. Honestly, I prefer a coach that tailors his methods to the individual rather than a rigid thinker like Van Gaal.

I understand there may be a desperation and desire to see Manchester United competing for the title again

And how does that reconcile with also believing that United fans are too easy on Mourinho? Couldn't be too desperate if we are accepting of sixth place.

Busted flush? Yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Do people really not know what the term busted flush means.. how can a man that has already amassed a trophy haul of 22 trophies including 8 leagues and 2 champions leagues be a busted flush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

astradave wrote: »
    Do people really not know what the term busted flush means.. how can a man that has already amassed a trophy haul of 22 trophies including 8 leagues and 2 champions leagues be a busted flush!

Clearly people don't understand the meaning of the phrase. How is someone that has won that many trophies not been successful?

Even with the wrong definition that people are using (ie: being successful once upon a time and not now)......yes, the man who won a trophy 2-3 weeks ago, won the Premier League the season before last, and has improved the quality of our football immeasureably is now a sh*t manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I regard Jones, Rojo and Fellaini as cloggers. I understand there may be a desperation and desire to see Manchester United competing for the title again but that can evolve into believing things are rosier than they actually are. It isn't fishing on my part - I haven't been particularly impressed with Manchester United under Mourinho and I believe the football isn't much more inspiring than what went before it. I think Mourinho's a busted flush at this stage but I accept it won't really be until this time next year that such a conclusion can be verified or otherwise.

Rojo has been one of our consistently best performers this season, as has Jones.

Fellaini gets an awful lot of stick that's very unfair, its not his fault the manager decides to throw him up top when we are chasing a game. For the most part has performed competently when called upon.

If you genuinely aren't fishing then you clearly have not watched much of United over the last three and a half seasons. The football we have played this season has been scintillating by times, infinitely better than anything under Moyes or LVG.

Yes, José employs ugly tactics when the need arises but that's what a good manager does, you change things up depending on the opposition. The only time he has gotten it badly wrong so far was against Chelsea in the league and the first half against City in the league.

The team has been set up in such away that they create a huge amount of chances and we really should be higher in the league than we are but for the players misfiring Jose cannot be held accountable.

I am more than confident that we will be challenging for the PL title in the next 12 to 24 months.

We are far from the finished article but the first pieces to get us back on top are already in place and we will only improve.

• Advertisement

I think bandage is a a busted flush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I did not want, and still am unhappy with, Mourinho as the manager. I find him extremely difficult to like. But even I am willing to agree the team is playing far better than the last few seasons. However, anyone describing Jones and Rojo as "cloggers" is probably being intentionally inflammatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Can Jayo26 or Jayop please change their name, im going crosseyed here.
    That's a strange fetish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Safe to say Pogba is a Mourinho signing.

Mourinho a manager so experienced pays way too much to what pundits say & is very sensitive about it.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Safe to say Pogba is a Mourinho signing.

Mourinho a manager so experienced pays way too much to what pundits say & is very sensitive about it.

Doubt he is sensitive id say it's the fact he is asked about it and deflect the attention off his player. It's classic jose always been he same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

jayo26 wrote: »
    Doubt he is sensitive id say it's the fact he is asked about it and deflect the attention off his player. It's classic jose always been he same.
    Saying everyone envies Pogba because he is work alot of money isn't a great way to deflect attention of Pogba.

Saying everyone envies Pogba because he is work alot of money isn't a great way to deflect attention of Pogba.

Yeah - and making it an issue of earnings rather than price tag is insane!

If you want to deflect, in a similar way, simply say it is because he plays for United and the scrutiny is just so much higher - people want him to fail and are willing to make stuff up to show that he is.

It doesn't have to be true - just as the current deflection isn't true - but at least you are not basing the argument on how much he is paid.

Very odd comments from Jose. When he started on this path I had hoped he had been misquoted or taken out of context.

Really? Id of thought it puts the attention back on the pundit? If he just ignores it or agrees its worse I have no problem at all with jose waffling to the press its what he always did when he was winning champions leagues and titles.

Pogba is a free spirit, doubt he gives a toss what the pundits say

Never thought I'd hear pogba and free in the same sentence.

Hope to see him dab tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rostov at home. Yeah, sounds like a game he might actually show up for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

SSN showed Pogba's stats compared to the other United players,considering he's perceived to be below par they are pretty impressive.

Can Jayo26 or Jayop please change their name, im going crosseyed here.

You're one to fúcking talk, I'm seeing 'Star Trek' this 8 years :pac:
    No

It's not that simple, is it Jay? Like with Johnny23 in Con Air, Jay needs another victim before any change of name can occur.

Elsewhere, I see reports that Martial and Rooney are out of tomorrow's game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Playing FIFA 17 here and Martin Tyler and Alan Smith talking about united having loads of money but not always spending it right lol..

Press conference for the Rostov game...

stankratz wrote: »
    You're one to fúcking talk, I'm seeing 'Star Trek' this 8 years :pac:

It's not that simple, is it Jay? Like with Johnny23 in Con Air, Jay needs another victim before any change of name can occur.

The worst thing is I betcha their names aren't even Jayo :D

stankratz wrote: »

Any word on what Martials injury is?

Nope just this

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/841974669238505472

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm a legit Jay, but only really get called jayo by peeps from the Pale.

Doesn't seem to give a toss on the pitch either , behaving like a tosser.

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm a legit Jay, but only really get called jayo by peeps from the Pale.

Im legit Jay too but my old playstation was Jayo26 because jay26 was taken I could add an extra 10 years to the 26 now tho ha.

Doesn't seem to give a toss on the pitch either , behaving like a tosser.

Seriously? How had he behaved like a tosser?

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    SSN showed Pogba's stats compared to the other United players,considering he's perceived to be below par they are pretty impressive.

Better again I compaired his stats to last year at juve and he was ahead on every stat apart from assists which shows just how much people ignore the good parts of his season.

Martial was injured for Monday. Deciphering Jose's words - if Martial was injured for Monday night's game that means he is injured for Tuesday morning's training session. In that case Wednesday is too short a time to return for Thursday's game. So, he is out of Jose's mind for Thursday night.

That's what I got from it anyway after a couple of listens to his words, I've heard Jose speak better English in fairness. It's there from 3:33 in the video I posted above.

But no, no word on a specific injury.

The problem this year is he's been a bit of a flat track bully and has fluffed a few chances. He's not imposed himself on the big games yet, but that will come. He's an absolute cracker of a player and will without a doubt be the best player in the league soon in my opinion.

Jayop wrote: »
    The problem this year is he's been a bit of a flat track bully and has fluffed a few chances. He's not imposed himself on the big games yet, but that will come. He's an absolute cracker of a player and will without a doubt be the best player in the league soon in my opinion.

Its a matter of the team been clinical if the forwards were scoring some of his chances no one would care about defensive stats or finishing same as they didn't last year.

Seriously? How had he behaved like a tosser?

Seriously.... compare the shift he put in on Monday say against Valencia... val busted his gut playing for the shirt, Pogba sauntered around the pitch, in my book if you don't bust a gut for the shirt.... tosser comes to mind. At this stage I don't even know what type of midfielder he is meant to be !
    Look this " blind" support really gets on my wick, call a spade a spade, Pogba has been piss poor for a long time now, stats my arse, my eyes don't deceive me. He might give a toss if he's benched, needs a reality check, him and Mourinho.

Seriously.... compare the shift he put in on Monday say against Valencia... val busted his gut playing for the shirt, Pogba sauntered around the pitch, in my book if you don't bust a gut for the shirt.... tosser comes to mind. At this stage I don't even know what type of midfielder he is meant to be !
    Look this " blind" support really gets on my wick, call a spade a spade, Pogba has been piss poor for a long time now, stats my arse, my eyes don't deceive me. He might give a toss if he's benched, needs a reality check, him and Mourinho.

Stats count for alot when your judging a player on how he runs to call him a tosser.

I have said loads of pogba is average and I'll call a spade a spade he has been below what we thought he would be but stats say he is our most creative player on the pitch,
    stats say he has a decent amount of goals compaired to the rest of the midfield,
    stats say he hit the woodwork 5 times in the league this season only beaten by de Bruyne at city he has been a bit Unlucky there.

I say if the team scored more people would be praising pogba and wouldn't care how he runs.

Im not twisting statistics to say he is great im using them to say he is far from been United's biggest problem this season.

Who do you want him to be replaced with? Ander? He creates fek all compaired to pogba but runs further and defends better.

Fellaini? Create very very little and don't defend much better either but runs around great.

Carrick? Doesn't do much apart from read the game well but won't do much further forward.

Mata and Miki will put a few chances away and are further forward then pogba anyway.

• Advertisement

What I'm saying is that he needs to be benched and hopefully he realises that his recent performance are not good enough and he ups his game hugely when he gets back in. Other squad players Must notice that he is not playing well, starts ahead of them and always finishes a game no matter how poorly he is playing. We laid out that money for an instant impact, buying a league winner, champions league player and full international, not some rookie we were taking a punt on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Bench him for who?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Other squad players Must notice that he is not playing well, starts ahead of them and always finishes a game no matter how poorly he is playing.

Out of interest, who are these other players?

Our midfield options who'd play Pogba's position Herrera, Fellaini, Carrick, and Schwiensteiger.

Usually, Herrera is starting every game with him. Fellaini isn't derived of much game time either and for his age, Carrick has been getting time too. So the only one massively "missing out" is Bastian....

What I'm saying is that he needs to be benched and hopefully he realises that his recent performance are not good enough and he ups his game hugely when he gets back in. Other squad players Must notice that he is not playing well, starts ahead of them and always finishes a game no matter how poorly he is playing. We laid out that money for an instant impact, buying a league winner, champions league player and full international, not some rookie we were taking a punt on.

But benching him for who? He is still better then Any player to replace him with even tho he is playing average. Take pogba out of the team and ypu have less chances.

Here's a decent article that could be worth a read for anyone saying he's "behaving like a tosser" or that he's been sh1t compared to other United players this season.

http://www.squawka.com/news/mourinho-demands-respect-for-pogba-5-stats-showing-the-man-utd-star-is-having-a-better-season-than-you-think/919301#DwEdXk6ZychtUI1P.97

For United
    Post Chances Created
    Most Take Ons
    Most Passes

Here's Pogba's page on it's own...

http://www.squawka.com/players/paul-pogba/stats#performance-score#manchester-united-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2016/2017#641#all-matches#1-26#cumulative

The graph showing his cumulative performance score is a good one. As is the fact that according to them (pure stats) he's our best player this season by a distance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement