Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

jayo26 wrote: »
    But benching him for who? He is still better then Any player to replace him with even tho he is playing average. Take pogba out of the team and ypu have less chances.

Should bench him for Ander, ah sure he's banned.
    Maybe Fellaini, probably thinks he's a waster too.
    Schweini? Old and not playing
    Carrick?

That's the solution to all our problems, bench Pogba and play Carrick on his own in a one man midfield.

ive not really entered the pogba debate, while i do find him frustrating at times and wish he was more influentual on games its still his first season back so i do hope to see better next year after a rest in the summer.

but he doesnt have to play every minute of every game mind and as who could replace him well miki can play as a 10 so thats would be 1 option.

A lot of what we do goes through Pogba and he plays near every minute of every game he is going to be topping or near top of a lot of charts he has the sixth most shots in the league of any player and isnt even or direct free or peno taker (not that penos matter as we get feck all :pac:)

The shot one does irk me as his goal return for it is fairly poor

Very few games does he play as a trad 10 though. He's much more box to box. Would Mkhi have that in him?

Jayop wrote: »
    Very few games does he play as a trad 10 though. He's much more box to box. Would Mkhi have that in him?

Yea your right and I doubt he would, but itd be more a tweak on how we are currently playing, just an option for those asking who we could play. I dont think I want Pogba dropped but I do think he would benefit from some rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

A lot of what we do goes through Pogba and he plays near every minute of every game he is going to be topping or near top of a lot of charts he has the sixth most shots in the league of any player and isnt even or direct free or peno taker (not that penos matter as we get feck all :pac:)

The shot one does irk me as his goal return for it is fairly poor

Its not even that he has the most of anything it's that his average per game are better too and as a big fan of his i will say that one area he has been below average on is his shooting that does frustrate me but he has always been like that too.

We can't say now that we have signed him he is doing less then he did last season because he actually isn't he is on par with last season apart from goals scored.

A big problem with pogba is he aint a 80 million pound player yet if you judge him solely by what he brings to the club on the pitch he is probably at most a 40 million player but to United as a marketing tool and sponsorship attraction he is easily an 80 million pound player but most of us can't grasp that in my opinion.

The fee to me means nothing. I really couldn't care less how much we pay for a player. To me the money is there and if it's not spent it goes in the owners pockets.

Its not even that he has the most of anything it's that his average per game are better too and as a big fan of his i will say that one area he has been below average on is his shooting that does frustrate me but he has always been like that too.

We can't say now that we have signed him he is doing less then he did last season because he actually isn't he is on par with last season apart from goals scored.

A big problem with pogba is he aint a 80 million pound player yet if you judge him solely by what he brings to the club on the pitch he is probably at most a 40 million player but to United as a marketing tool and sponsorship attraction he is easily an 80 million pound player but most of us can't grasp that in my opinion.

Is he topping all the stats on average?

Its not the price tag that bothers me actually none of it bothers me too much I do wish he was playing better.

You say he isnt an 80 million player which is fair enough but when he is seemingly undroppable or unsubstituable it would appear our manager holds him in very high regaurd. I dont think his performances have warranted that status at the club this season.

Is he topping all the stats on average?

Its not the price tag that bothers me actually none of it bothers me too much I do wish he was playing better.

You say he isnt an 80 million player which is fair enough but when he is seemingly undroppable or unsubstituable it would appear our manager holds him in very high regaurd. I dont think his performances have warranted that status at the club this season.

Compaired to the players around him for what pogba does best like creating chances he is ahead by averages.

He is beaten say by ander defensively easily but pogba wins attacking. Pogba beats mata and Miki defensively and creative wise but he looses out to them on goal scoring.

And he probably beats Fellaini all over the park.

Again im not been biast or twisting stats im just saying he aint the problem so why drop him?

Compaired to the players around him for what pogba does best like creating chances he is ahead by averages.

He is beaten say by ander defensively easily but pogba wins attacking. Pogba beats mata and Miki defensively and creative wise but he looses out to them on goal scoring.

And he probably beats Fellaini all over the park.

Again im not been biast or twisting stats im just saying he aint the problem so why drop him?

Im not saying drop him but I dont think he is beyond being rotated to some degree like everyone else you have mentioned, do you think he is performing so well he needs to play every minute or every game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The fee to me means nothing. I really couldn't care less how much we pay for a player. To me the money is there and if it's not spent it goes in the owners pockets.

It matters to me, and I think it should matter to fans, why are people so proud of stating that they have no interest in such a fundamental part of the club that they support?

Regardless of that, I do care and expect that a player we spent £90m on plays like a £90m player, I want the club to make good investments and if the player performs like a £30m player I think thats a problem.

But the thing to remember about this is that I don't blame Pogba, he didn't choose the fee or spend the money, instead I look at the club and ask why they spent £90m for only a £30m return? I can criticise the player for certain things, yes, but the fee does matter and its the club that should be held to account for it.

I have stated my opinion on it before and my view remains the same, the Pogba deal last summer was not a good piece of business.

Im not saying drop him but I dont think he is beyond being rotated to some degree like everyone else you have mentioned, do you think he is performing so well he needs to play every minute or every game?

I think if we are closing out a game he could be taken off or of he clearly looks jaded yes take him off but if it means starting a game with a midfield 3 of Carrick, ander and Fellaini or bastian no i dont think he should.

I have stated my opinion on it before and my view remains the same, the Pogba deal last summer was not a good piece of business.

If pogba long term turns out to a very very good midfielder but not world class but still very good and over the course of his career with united wins a few trophies hopefully the league and Europe maybe and in that time his name attracts sponsors and merchandise sales that repay a large chunk or more then half of his transfer fee would you still say it's a bad deal?

I agree he aint worth what we paid but obviously the club are looking at it with more wisdom then you or I can? They have done the sums and know exactly what he is worth to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

secman wrote: »
    Seriously.... compare the shift he put in on Monday say against Valencia... val busted his gut playing for the shirt, Pogba sauntered around the pitch, in my book if you don't bust a gut for the shirt.... tosser comes to mind. At this stage I don't even know what type of midfielder he is meant to be !
    Look this " blind" support really gets on my wick, call a spade a spade, Pogba has been piss poor for a long time now, stats my arse, my eyes don't deceive me. He might give a toss if he's benched, needs a reality check, him and Mourinho.

Pogba a tosser? You're a tosser if that's the case, going on the internet calling players of the club you "support" names

It matters to me, and I think it should matter to fans, why are people so proud of stating that they have no interest in such a fundamental part of the club that they support?

Regardless of that, I do care and expect that a player we spent £90m on plays like a £90m player, I want the club to make good investments and if the player performs like a £30m player I think thats a problem.

But the thing to remember about this is that I don't blame Pogba, he didn't choose the fee or spend the money, instead I look at the club and ask why they spent £90m for only a £30m return? I can criticise the player for certain things, yes, but the fee does matter and its the club that should be held to account for it.

1) I never said I was "so proud" not to care. You seem to misunderstand the definition of not caring about something. The club is rich, it has a load of money. I wanted us to sign Pogba and I'm delighted we got him. We were never going to sign him for £30m so that's a complete null point.

2) He's not a £30m player. Not a single player of Pogba's level in the world who's done it at the highest level and is proven top quality could be bought for that fee unless they have a buy out clause.

3) In terms of it being "good business" do you mean from a football or business point of view? If it's football you mean then you're being insanely rash in judging a player who's been at teh club for not even a season and who's probably been in our top few players this year by any measure. If it's business you mean then unless you're privy to the accounts I don't know how you can know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hope we sign fabinho in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

bangkok wrote: »

Wouldn't mind the majority of that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Unearthly wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind the majority of that team.

Is Falcao injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Is Falcao injured?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Yeah he looks better for a defensive role than Bakayoko. Monaco's John OShea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Bleedin RTE. Hamilton and Whelan calling him Babayako.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Bleedin RTE. Hamilton and Whelan calling him Babayako.

I gave up on Hamilton after jaap stum

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well Martial is delighted.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMartial/status/842123589843357697
    Oui Baka !!!

Normally im not against English teams in Europe but Im enjoying this Monaco team too much. Monaco v Barcelona over 2 legs would be a delight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That really really cheers me up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Something something busted flush

Bloody delighted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Pep?

He's a cod Bill!

Its the FA Cup or nothing for them. If it wasn't Pep he'd be sacked.

Side note: Dunphy looks wrecked. Has a dodgey eye and looks like he's gained weight on his face.

• Advertisement

Ahh it would off been better to keep them busy for a while longer. City are much like us just they score more goals and we defend better.

Pep has them on the right track next year they will be better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Dunphy on Pep - 'I'm delighted he's in England and I hope that he does well, but I hate the hype around him and that he's immune to criticism'.

Spot on from him!

It be intresting to see if it's disected the same way as jose was alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Genius with alleged most expensive squad in the league crashes out of CL.

And it's City.

Glorious. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

We better get through tomorrow night!

While I do have an interest in the clubs finances and expenditure, the exact price of the Pogba signing means little to me in judging him as a player for us. He cost a shít-ton, that's all there is to that.

What should an £80m player play like? Compared to a £70m one, and then a £60m, and so on? There comes a point when you go above a certain number of millions in today's market, say £40-45m, where a player commanding such a fee should be one who imposes himself on most games. Be it £50m or £80m, that player should be a boss and/or one who stands out from the rest most times he plays a game IMO.

Before he came back to United and commanded that fee, Pogba was a serious talent in my eyes and the eyes of many observers. I didn't need that huge fee to set a bar for how he should play, Pogba already set that bar himself with his performances for Juve.

So even if we only spent £50m on him, the price is not the main measure for judging his performances - His previous form for Juve compared to his overall form for United so far tells me that he is currently under-performing to the level we need him to be performing, and the level he is capable of. The price-tag doesn't really tell me this. Yes he should be playing better for a player from the higher pricing bracket, but firstly he should be playing better for the ability he has shown in 4 years at Juve and at points during his return to United.

The price is what it is. If Pogba is responsible for this it's mostly because of his previous performances and his importance to a winning team, which is a good thing, and not because he himself tried to shadily wrangle every last penny from Old Trafford. For an £80m player, on paper and without context, you'd expect someone who would score and/or assist every other game. With context and details, Paul Pogba was never that player so the fee means little to me in judging him to that standard. Also, the marketability of Paul Pogba would have had its part to play in that world-record fee.

I don't doubt that Pogba will come good for the team and himself, or at least if I do doubt it, it will be in his second season before I really have my doubts and concerns. Worryingly at the moment though, I feel he had a better first half to this season, with the stronger performances being more regular than in the last couple of months where I feel that if he isn't quite regressing, he's definitely not progressing. I'm holding him to the standard he previously set and the standard we need, and not the price-tag.

Also, criticism is definitely warranted with Pogba and other players, but calling any of them a clown, idiot or tosser, outside of the extreme heat of the moment, it's disappointing to see. If any of our players were genuinely any of those things, they would not be there in the first place. There are better, more detailed ways of venting frustration with the players...IMO anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Another Super post Stankratz.

Might not agree every time, but you always post a great argument without resorting to lowering others.

Rashford to be called up to senior England squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Pogba is responsible in the main for his own performances. He is not responsible for the performances of the team as a whole. If the whole team looks tired, dispassionate and uninterested then you need to look a bit further than Pogba.

He is delivering the same sort of stats in a tougher league than he played in last season, with the crossbar and the goal post being his nemesis. That's the player we bought.

Another Super post Stankratz.

Might not agree every time, but you always post a great argument without resorting to lowering others.

I'm offended by that. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

GSPfan wrote: »
    Its the FA Cup or nothing for them. If it wasn't Pep he'd be sacked.

Side note: Dunphy looks wrecked. Has a dodgey eye and looks like he's gained weight on his face.

As is Europa league for Jose. But 6th and and micky mouse cup and Jose is doing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

As is Europa league for Jose. But 6th and and micky mouse cup and Jose is doing better.

Europa League > FA Cup.

Is the season finished? No. So stop crying about league position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

6 points behind ye.

Game in hand.

Trophy in the cabinet.

Still in Europe albeit the second tier competition.

Thats acceptable for the time being under a busted flush manager.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Europa League > FA Cup.

Is the season finished? No. So stop crying about league position.

Who's crying, just standing up for Pep, there's absolutely no shame in the result tonight, lost on Aggregate.Not getting CL would be a far bigger let down tho Espically from an experienced manager like Jose.

No Shame in losing?

Ye were 2 goals up!! Ye bottled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭secman

Pogba a tosser? You're a tosser if that's the case, going on the internet calling players of the club you "support" names

Yep I support the club and have done so for more than twice Pogba's age, as you keep quoting it every other post.
    I'm totally frustrated with Pogba to be honest , I'm not interested in stats, I judge him as I see him play and boy is he disappointing .
    . from time to time we get players in who don't seem to care a such as supporters.. Keep hearing about how many times he's hit woodwork, when does unlucky just become bad finishing ? Kante made a show of him the other night. Club is bigger than any player, always was and always will be.. I withdraw the tosser remark.

Ps. don't call me a tosser again, ever.

No Shame in losing?

Ye were 2 goals up!! Ye bottled it.

Lost on aggregate, to a very good team. Yea bottled it but Pep is on the right track. To say he would be sacked from posters original post is just madness.

Yep I support the club and have done so for more than twice Pogba's age, as you keep quoting it every other post.
    I'm totally frustrated with Pogba to be honest , I'm not interested in stats, I judge him as I see him play and boy is he disappointing .
    . from time to time we get players in who don't seem to care a such as supporters.. Keep hearing about how many times he's hit woodwork, when does unlucky just become bad finishing ? Kante made a show of him the other night. Club is bigger than any player, always was and always will be..

tumblr_noys8mkgT11s0my1wo1_250.gif

. from time to time we get players in who don't seem to care a such as supporters.. Keep hearing about how many times he's hit woodwork, when does unlucky just become bad finishing ? Kante made a show of him the other night. Club is bigger than any player, always was and always will be..

tumblr_noys8mkgT11s0my1wo1_250.gif

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Lost on aggregate, to a very good team. Yea bottled it but Pep is on the right track. To say he would be sacked from posters original post is just madness.

Monaco are decent side but they were 66/1 3 weeks ago to win CL.

This City side deserves to be questioned after tonight. Pep deserves a couple of seasons, but I don't see why we have different rules for different managers in similar budgets/positions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement