Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Who's crying, just standing up for Pep, there's absolutely no shame in the result tonight, lost on Aggregate.Not getting CL would be a far bigger let down tho Espically from an experienced manager like Jose.

Again, is the season over? Not getting CL would be far bigger let down for Pep too. It's not like City are nailed on for top 4 finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Again, is the season over? Not getting CL would be far bigger let down for Pep too. It's not like City are nailed on for top 4 finish.

I'd say they're not far off it now even with only a 3 point gap should Arse win the game in hand. Spurs losing Kane makes City's hand even stronger.

Jayop wrote: »
    I'd say they're not far off it now even with only a 3 point gap should Arse win the game in hand. Spurs losing Kane makes City's hand even stronger.

Except Chelsea no team is safe in top 4. Margins are very small and City have 3 very difficult fixtures in PL next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

stankratz wrote:
    Worryingly at the moment though, I feel he had a better first half to this season, with the stronger performances being more regular than in the last couple of months where I feel that if he isn't quite regressing, he's definitely not progressing. I'm holding him to the standard he previously set and the standard we need, and not the price-tag.

Agree with the post in the main Stan, but it has to be kept in mind that Pogba played a CL final, had a shorter summer break, played a full season, followed by a long run at the euros, had no preseason and has played almost every game for us.

He must be physically exhausted at this stage with over 100 games for club and country in 2 years with very little break.

I think we will see a rejuvenated and rested pogba next season with his early season form and more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

secman wrote:
    Ps. don't call me a tosser again, ever.

Cos my big cousin would bate your big brother.

Gas man.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Except Chelsea no team is safe in top 4. Margins are very small and City have 3 very difficult fixtures in PL next.

None are safe, but of the 5 chasing 3 spots I'd prefer to be in Cities position than any of the rest of us. Even if we win our games in hand we're still going to be in 5th thanks to us being inept at taking control of the league when it presents itself. Liverpool seem to be incapable of being decent against anyone but the top sides, Arsenal could lose to anyone and Spurs have lost their best player.

None are safe, but of the 5 chasing 3 spots I'd prefer to be in Cities position than any of the rest of us. Even if we win our games in hand we're still going to be in 5th thanks to us being inept at taking control of the league when it presents itself. Liverpool seem to be incapable of being decent against anyone but the top sides, Arsenal could lose to anyone and Spurs have lost their best player.

Yeah little advantage to city as they have points on the board. Liverpool have 1 game per week like the start of the season which is important to their style of play, Arsenal like always go on a run and finish top 4.

I don't think we will finish top 4, we are dropping way too many silly points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Rod Munch wrote: »
    6 points behind ye.

Game in hand.

Trophy in the cabinet.

Still in Europe albeit the second tier competition.

Thats acceptable for the time being under a busted flush manager.
    Try 8 points, I never said he was a busted flush manager so not sure why you thought to bring that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Try 8 points, I never said he was a busted flush manager so not sure why you thought to bring that up.

Looks like we were both wrong.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Looks like we were both wrong.

;)

7 points draws level, United need 8 points to beat the goal difference, I agree pedantic but it's has came down to that last few seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭secman

VW 1 wrote: »
    Cos my big cousin would bate your big brother.

Gas man.

Gas man is just fine ..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd prefer to be in Cities position than any of the rest of us.

In my opinion, all things considered Mourinho is doing a better job this season than Guardiola, with the main reason being that City began the season with a far better first team than United did, and they should be seriously challenging for the title.

Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling, that is a fantastic collection of attacking players especially compared to our mix of too young or too old strikers. They have solid midfielders and they have a perfectly good set of defenders who are being made to look like idiots by Guardiola. Personnel wise that City eleven is easily a match for the Chelsea team in ways that we are not, so while I can understand why we have struggled City don't have the excuses United do.

Forget Mourinho, put Conte in charge of that City team and I bet they would be top of the table right now. The reason they aren't is because their manager is doing a Van Gaal on it.

In my opinion, all things considered Mourinho is doing a better job this season than Guardiola, with the main reason being that City began the season with a far better first team than United did, and they should be seriously challenging for the title.

Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling, that is a fantastic collection of attacking players especially compared to our mix of too young or too old strikers. They have solid midfielders and they have a perfectly good set of defenders who are being made to look like idiots by Guardiola. Personnel wise that City eleven is easily a match for the Chelsea team in ways that we are not, so while I can understand why we have struggled City don't have the excuses United do.

Forget Mourinho, put Conte in charge of that City team and I bet they would be top of the table right now. The reason they aren't is because their manager is doing a Van Gaal on it.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I simply meant in terms of league position and the race for the top 4 they are in the driving seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Is he though? Guardiola is now 7 points ahead with a squad that was so weak it was only ahead of United's by goal difference last season when a failure like Van Gaal was holding United back. Now United have a winner like Mourinho running the show, and have signed 4 big first team quality players, but are 7 points behind. In relative terms that is an improvement by Guaridola over what Mourinho has delivered.

Yes Mourinho has the League Cup to his name, but I don't think United are in any position to dismiss Guardiola as failed or even claim that he is doing significantly worse than Mourinho. I think Mourinho has proven more flexible and less puritanical than Guardiola, but better? That's not what the league table says. At the end of the day its arguing about who is the least worst loser. Conte has outperformed both by taking a squad that was in relegation form for much of last season and turning them into an outfit which is near unbeatable this season.

Sand wrote: »
    Guardiola is now 7 points ahead with a squad that was so weak

That squad is not weak, it has some genuine top drawer players in their prime allayed with a strong supporting cast. It isn't perfect and some players need replacing, but there is definitely enough there for a manager to work with were he not so concerned with his "philosophy".

Chelsea are top because they are extremely well organised and because they have Hazard and Costa to provide the cutting edge. For Hazard and Costa read De Bruyne and Aguero, the problem is the "well organised" bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Tbh I think Jose and pep have been disappointing in there own ways. Jose knows this league and how to win it so I was expecting a better season for ourselves.

I also think we have a better squad than city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

That squad is not weak, it has some genuine top drawer players in their prime allayed with a strong supporting cast. It isn't perfect and some players need replacing, but there is definitely enough there for a manager to work with were he not so concerned with his "philosophy".

Chelsea are top because they are extremely well organised and because they have Hazard and Costa to provide the cutting edge. For Hazard and Costa read De Bruyne and Aguero, the problem is the "well organised" bit.

Yeah, but you could same for the United squad. A squad with Mata, Mkhitaryan, Zlatan, Martial, Rashford, Herrera, Pogba and so on arent exactly struggling for talent. 3 of those players were honoured as the best in their league last season. United have a very good keeper in De Gea, some decent defenders, even including Shaw who has somehow gone from being the best young player in his position to not even making the squad.

Sure, some upgrades can be made but there is enough talent there that excuses on the squad aren't good enough for me. I just don't think United are in a position to be dismissing City or Guardiola while being 7 points behind. And if organisation is the key difference between Chelsea 2015/16 and Chelsea 2016/17, then that's not encouraging for United

Sand wrote: »
    Yeah, but you could same for the United squad. A squad with Mata, Mkhitaryan, Zlatan, Martial, Rashford, Herrera, Pogba and so on arent exactly struggling for talent.

Hazard and Costa, De Bruyne, Silva and Aguero.

World class players in their prime and in vital attacking positions. They are the key to it, we don't have that and if we did we wouldn't be in sixth position.

The players you have listed aren't on the same level for various obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

As is Europa league for Jose. But 6th and and micky mouse cup and Jose is doing better.

Do you disagree that in previous seasons a manager for Manchester City would be in trouble if they had a season were they are not in contention for the league, out of CL in round of 16, and win no cups? That's all I'm saying.

As for Jose, he's won a cup so he will get a pass no matter what, but we still could win the EL so it could end up being a great season. Participating in the Europa League is nothing to be proud of, but winning it is.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Agree with the post in the main Stan, but it has to be kept in mind that Pogba played a CL final, had a shorter summer break, played a full season, followed by a long run at the euros, had no preseason and has played almost every game for us.

He must be physically exhausted at this stage with over 100 games for club and country in 2 years with very little break.

I think we will see a rejuvenated and rested pogba next season with his early season form and more to come.

I agree. In all of those words I wrote, I still didn't get around to opining what might be the cause of any perceived dip in form or inconsistencies in his performances.

I'm no sports scientist and surely Pogba is in supreme condition, just look at him, but the amount of games and their regularity have to take some kind of toll, no matter the fitness and endurance levels.

As much as I enjoy the Summer international tournaments, thankfully there's the chance for a decent rest for the players coming this Summer with no International business. Fortunately, I don't think any of them will be held up by the Confederation's Cup in June, so they should be able to clock out and hit the beach once their Europa final is done on May 24th :pac:

I too am eager to see how Pogba will fair in his second season, I think he will benefit greatly from a proper Summer rest and a pre-season with the club. Yes, every footballer will benefit from those things, but more so for a player like Paul who as you pointed out has been playing more or less non-stop since the start of the 2015/16 season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tomorrow's Independent saying united are "deprioritising" Griezmann due to the difficulty in getting a deal done.
    Several papers going with the story of our interest in Dembele from Celtic and that Chelsea are selling Costa with Lukaku to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Another thing to keep in mind too with Pogba is the midfield support he has is rather lacking. I really like Carrick but he's not the player you want gluing together a midfield. Imo ye should prioritise a midfield signing over a striker/ winger.

• Hazard and Costa, De Bruyne, Silva and Aguero.

World class players in their prime and in vital attacking positions. They are the key to it, we don't have that and if we did we wouldn't be in sixth position.

The players you have listed aren't on the same level for various obvious reasons.

Miki is a better player than De Bruyne
    Ibra is world class also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Much as I wanted not to be in the EL, the more I'm thinking its our best chance of CL football for next season, plus would be nice to win it once and a final to look forward to at the end of the season. Though I would hate us to be in it again next year, I think playing Thursday nights has a a detrimental effect on our season and our place in the EPL. The EL has never done anyone any favours in the title race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Havent you heard, pogba is a tosser and useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

bangkok wrote:
    Havent you heard, pogba is a tosser and useless

Ah jesus will ya give it a rest man. There's sh!te being talked on both sides of that argument. Sure apparently he's 24 now so is one year closer to being a proper player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Boro manager gone. I think it's a good thing as there's a chance that'll be a decent game to watch now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Tonight's match is huge. Going out would be a disaster. I'm actually nervous about a Europa League match for the first time ever.

• Advertisement

3E4E770500000578-0-Rostov_s_players_train_in_front_of_the_imposing_Sir_Alex_Ferguso-a-32_1489603284749.jpg

The "This is what playing on grass is like" match thread is up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057718247

Tonight's match is huge. Going out would be a disaster. I'm actually nervous about a Europa League match for the first time ever.

We will beat them comfortably enough. They are a poor side and missing one of their best players

Lukaku's agent spotted at The Lowry this morning,doesn't he look after Pogba too though? 2+2=5 by the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

zerks wrote: »
    Lukaku's agent spotted at The Lowry this morning,doesn't he look after Pogba too though? 2+2=5 by the papers.

Zlatan and Mkhitaryans agent​ too.

Clever Tom used to have the best passing stats at united just saying stats arent the be all and end all

Clever Tom used to have the best passing stats at united just saying stats arent the be all and end all

He used to pass it 5 yards sideways and backwards,Pogba at least moves it forward and creates chances.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    He used to pass it 5 yards sideways and backwards,Pogba at least moves it forward and creates chances.

He used to infuriate me with his hiding behind opposition to not recieve passes aswell, just making the point stats arent everything they need context.

Ugh Tom Clevery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Lost on aggregate, to a very good team. Yea bottled it but Pep is on the right track. To say he would be sacked from posters original post is just madness.
    Who's crying, just standing up for Pep, there's absolutely no shame in the result tonight, lost on Aggregate

You didn't lose on aggregate.
    Not getting CL would be a far bigger let down tho Espically from an experienced manager like Jose.

The last time I checked, Mourinho still had two viable routes for qualifying for the Champions League next season. We are 6 points behind 4th place with 2 games in hand and should hopefully progress into the Europa League last 8 tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Every time I think of TC23 playing for us a little bit of me died inside

He where he should be now

Manchester United sent their head scout to the Stade Louis II last night to observe two of Monaco’s brightest stars in preparation for a double swoop this summer. Starsport claims that Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho wants young striking sensation Kyllan Mbappe and midfielder and Tiemoue Bakayoko at Old Trafford next season.

Mourinho has reportedly submitted his top summer transfer targets to the power broker at Old Trafford and the two Frenchman are high on that list alongside Atletico Madrid frontman Antoine Griezmann. It’s believed the Portuguese tactician has been promised at least £200 million to reinforce the club ahead of next term.
    http://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/manchester-united-head-scout-sent-to-monaco-as-mourinho-prepares-21677

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

From what I've read about mbape we have no chance. He rejected city last summer to play first team football at Monaco where he earns 76k a week and he turned down Chelsea and Madrid in the past too but when he is ready to move he is a real madrid fan and they are the main club he wants to pay for.

He would cost more then martial easy probably up into the pogba area of money in another year or two because he dont want to move anywhere too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Im probably not the only one but I remember how excited I got watching him come off the bench in the charity shield game against city and thinking how good he was going to be. He had a great start to that season then got injured and never looked anywhere near that kind of player again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Shaw in England squad bit of a surprise might give him a bit of a boost though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

jayo26 wrote: »
    Im probably not the only one but I remember how excited I got watching him come off the bench in the charity shield game against city and thinking how good he was going to be. He had a great start to that season then got injured and never looked anywhere near that kind of player again.

He was playing really really well I didn't think he had the ability to be a regular starter.

He's one of those players who could have maximised his limited ability and been an important squad player.

He was a bit unfortunate that Moyes failures in the transfer window put a ****e load of pressure on him.

Now you know how i feel everytime i see fellaini and he still plays with us..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

The only issue I had with TC23 was that he wasn't very good at football.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

There was "interesting" one today

Only messi has completed more forward passes than Pogba.

I'll take that one :pac:

One stat on it's own can be completely misleading. Like the leading passing accuracy for most teams tends to be the CB's. That doesn't mean they are the best passers, but that they play the easiest passes.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    The only issue I had with TC23 was that he wasn't very good at football.

He was amazing at hide and seek,he could walk out in front of 75,000 people and disappear for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Shaw in England squad bit of a surprise might give him a bit of a boost though

We'll be seeing him as the lone striker and Rashford in at left back.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Football is very simple.

1. You get the ball
    2. Pass it to a teammate if they are in a better position
    3. Move into a new position to receive the ball.

Tom would run away from whoever had it so they couldn't give it to him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement