Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Would have preferred Lyon or Ajax. Hopefully we get them soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jayop wrote: »

Its much of a muchness to be honest the biggest bonus of the last 8 is to have second leg at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Maybe they will meet each other in the semi final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Couldn't have asked for a better draw really.

Obviously there are no by's in the tournament but Belgium is a short trip which will help with fatigue.

We have a real shot of winning the competition outright.

Make no mistake, despite the fact some are bemoaning the quality of the teams left in the competition, it would be a brilliant achievement for us to win it.

Thursday night football really does have an adverse effect on the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Anderlecht v Manchester United

Celta Vigo v Genk

Ajax v Schalke

Lyon v Besiktas

Those last two draws are perfect!!! This Europa cup is there for the taking. Lets not fcuk this up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

jayo26 wrote: »

Its much of a muchness to be honest the biggest bonus of the last 8 is to have second leg at home.

Only if we get an away goal to bring back to OT.

Not only. Having the second leg at home is an advantage regardless. You know exactly what you need to do and you have the home advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

No excuse not to win the tournament outright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Not only. Having the second leg at home is an advantage regardless. You know exactly what you need to do and you have the home advantage.

Fair enough it's an advantage but having an away goal really cements that advantage, and means you can really go after them from the first whistle without worrying too much about getting stung by an away goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Lovely draw. Not too hard and a short trip. Also for selfish reasons as it's less than three hours from my front door sitting here in Amsterdam :cool:

Besiktas and Lyon playing each other too. Perfect

Any idea when the tickets go on sale? EDIT: Scratch that, it's on their site, Monday they go on sale.

900 quid already on viagogo. Robbing bastards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm looking forward to the Summer transfer window. If we get into the Champions League it will be much easier to attract the best players.

I'd happily let Zlatan and Rooney go if the idea would be to buy a striker. Griezmann is one option but the more I think about it I see Lukaku as a better fit for Mourinho. We could still buy both but I doubt we will unless there is a surprise departure. (Martial)

Buying one defensive central midfielder is an absolute must. I can see two players being bought if Carrick or Fellaini moves on as we are light in that area right now.

A right back and possibly a left back is desperately needed. Valencia is a super pro but we can improve on him and the left back position needs a proper left back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Chicharito has liked and retweeted the clip of Mourinho saying he would have never of sold him. Thats twice this year Jose has specifically named him as a striker he wouldn't have let go. I am shocked the press haven't opted to put that into a story yet...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Chicharito has liked and retweeted the clip of Mourinho saying he would have never of sold him. Thats twice this year Jose has specifically named him as a striker he wouldn't have let go. I am shocked the press haven't opted to put that into a story yet...

Said he wouldn't of allowed di maria go either. Oh how we could do with chicarito this season :(

I just noticed Ross Barkley is either signing a new contract for Everton this Summer or being sold. Koeman has confirmed it. He'll be in the last year of his contract.

Would he be of interest to us? I at one stage thought he was going to be great but I'm unsure what his position is now and I don't think we need another player who is still trying to find out if he is a midfielder or a number 10 type player.

I think its important to buy English/British players as it helps our homegrown quota but it also almost guarantees you they aren't looking to Real Madrid if they become great. Almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Said he wouldn't of allowed di maria go either. Oh how we could do with chicarito this season :(

Chicarito would've buried some of the chances being created this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

GSPfan wrote: »
    I just noticed Ross Barkley is either signing a new contract for Everton this Summer or being sold. Koeman has confirmed it. He'll be in the last year of his contract.

Would he be of interest to us? I at one stage thought he was going to be great but I'm unsure what his position is now and I don't think we need another player who is still trying to find out if he is a midfielder or a number 10 type player.

I think its important to buy English/British players as it helps our homegrown quota but it also almost guarantees you they aren't looking to Real Madrid if they become great. Almost.

If he could be gotten for free or very cheap maybe but he'd prob cost a ****load and I'd rather the money spent elsewhere.

xtal191 wrote: »
    If he could be gotten for free or very cheap maybe but he'd prob cost a ****load and I'd rather the money spent elsewhere.

Id say he will fetch around 25 million in the Summer. With him having 1 year left they will be forced to sell. It is probably the right value for him in today's market. I reckon Spurs will be all over him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Draws have been very kind to us. Getting manageable teams and the other big sides knocking each other out.

Story is probably all set for United vs Depay in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Are we home or away first? It would be nice to win 3 or 4 nil and then play kids in the return leg.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Draws have been very kind to us. Getting manageable teams and the other big sides knocking each other out.

Story is probably all set for United vs Depay in the final.

Hope so. I'd imagine Lyon would get disqualified for playing a cup-tied player, handing us the win :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

thelad95 wrote: »
    Are we home or away first? It would be nice to win 3 or 4 nil and then play kids in the return leg.

That's not how we do things here. I'd say another 1-1 away draw followed by a nervy affair back in OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Where would he play him??? He never takes Ibra off or drops him when he is available.
    Also Rashford and Martial are better players

Have we ever had that many games in one month???? That fixture list is ridiculous.

Hopefully a lot of players can rest over the International break and not pick up injuries

I dont get all the moaning about fixture lists. Thats what happens when you are competing on 3 /4 fronts after xmas.
    Jose should just get on with it and stop moaning. Weer supposed to have the best squad so use it. What do those complaining want the FA to do ... extend the league for another 4 weeks?
    Get over it

Robson99 wrote: »
    I dont get all the moaning about fixture lists. Thats what happens when you are competing on 3 /4 fronts after xmas.
    Jose should just get on with it and stop moaning. Weer supposed to have the best squad so use it. What do those complaining want the FA to do ... extend the league for another 4 weeks?
    Get over it

Did you read what Jose has suggested? You could answer your own question if you did.

Did you read what Jose has suggested? You could answer your own question if you did.

Didn't actually

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    Didn't actually

He just wants the FA/Premier League to give some consideration when they are scheduling games for teams in Europe. He thinks if you are playing on a Thursday then the next Premier League game could be late on Sunday or Monday. Also you could play on the Friday before a midweek European game to give more time to prepare and rest. He referenced that it happens in Italy and Spain so it's not uncommon. He feels the FA should want English teams to do better in Europe. I'd agree with him on everything he has said. It's kind of mad that the FA are hindering their own teams success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Decuc500 wrote: »
    And yet you watched it as indeed it seems you watch all Uniteds games so you can comment negatively about them here.

Not the only one. It's a bit like these guys are back :)

412131.jpg

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/842792759136305152
    BREAKING: Man Utd fined £20,000 by FA for failing to control their players at Chelsea on Monday #ssnhq

Well, that's us ****ed. better call off the transfer window so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

20 grand? :pac:

giphy.gif

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The fine is well deserved,thought that stuff was well in the past, any gifs of Valencia​ popped up what he said in English lol. Don't know how the fella got away with so much angry chat with the ref and no yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Lads that Euro draw is great for us. Two strongest opposition teams against each other. Think we have enough to beat Anderlecht.

He just wants the FA/Premier League to give some consideration when they are scheduling games for teams in Europe. He thinks if you are playing on a Thursday then the next Premier League game could be late on Sunday or Monday. Also you could play on the Friday before a midweek European game to give more time to prepare and rest. He referenced that it happens in Italy and Spain so it's not uncommon. He feels the FA should want English teams to do better in Europe. I'd agree with him on everything he has said. It's kind of mad that the FA are hindering their own teams success.
    Thats fair enough but we ave a big squad and he should be rotating players better, surely some of the younger players could have gotten a game here and there throughout the season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Was looking forward to a few pints and the game in the morning, til I realised its not Saturday evening... Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It wasn't possible to schedule any of the games for a Monday night after utds el group games as utd had either Carling cup games or league games the midweek after or else it was an international break.For the same reasons it also wasnt possible to schedule a friday night game before a european game for any of the group games.I can't believe a journalist hasn't pulled him up on it. When he was given a Monday night game for the Chelsea game he also complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

VW 1 wrote: »
    Was looking forward to a few pints and the game in the morning, til I realised its not Saturday evening... Disaster.

Given United played last night, it would be a disaster if we were playing tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Dave slagging Juan, Bromance!

https://twitter.com/D_DeGea/status/842801291835441152

The Mata Tweet in question if its not showing

https://twitter.com/juanmata8/status/842779936805085185

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Juan can cook for me any time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Juan can cook for me any time :)

He probably cooks everything for 60 minutes.

Five course meal, four of them absolutely forgettable and one exquisite that makes it all worthwhile.

• Advertisement

An interesting press conference from Jose for the Middlesbrough game, probably his most so far at United, IMO. Worth a watch.

He talks at length about the fixture congestion but rather than the "Woe is me/us" message which the media headlines suggest, he makes some very good points when you actually go further than the headlines and listen to what he says. He does this while also being complimentary to "them" (the TV companies and the FA) for making the league what it is today and for all the money the clubs receive from them.

Some good quotes like:

Journo: ...but do you not think that you could protect your players by resting or rotating them?

Jose: What? You want me to go to Middlesbrough and play with Nicky Butt boys?

Also, there's Jose - Master of Sarcasm at 10:35. He had me for a good 2 seconds.

José moans because that's what Jose does.

He has done it for years its how he manages its deflecting attention off his players some people say he wants to be center of attention but it's mostly to reduce the amount of coverage his players get after a performance.

He moaned about the Chelsea game elven tho it was the ideal draw for time and date for us but he knew Chelsea was going to be a difficult game no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

José moans because that's what Jose does.

He has done it for years its how he manages its deflecting attention off his players some people say he wants to be center of attention but it's mostly to reduce the amount of coverage his players get after a performance.

He moaned about the Chelsea game elven tho it was the ideal draw for time and date for us but he knew Chelsea was going to be a difficult game no matter what.

Its gas that so many people go on about Jose's ego and that he wants to be the centre of attention when he deflects, yet other managers do it and they are great lads for protecting their players.

Then on the other side if he was to be critical of players after a shoddy performance he would get lambasted for "throwing them under a bus"

He simply cannot win.

Everything he says and does is under a microscope which is of course partly his own fault due to some of his less than savoury shenanigans with other clubs but Jose and United = headlines so its to be expected.

Its at the stage that no matter what he achieves in the future, whether with us or with others, many people won't give him the credit he has earned.

Coupled with the fact he is now managing us you can ramp that hatred up to the nth degree.

The man is a serial winner and I'm very happy he is our manager. He is bringing back the siege mentality that we had under Fergie where everyone wanted to see us fail.

Get another couple of players in during the summer, defensive midfielder is the key position we are lacking in IMO, and make a proper title challenge next season.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Its gas that so many people go on about Jose's ego and that he wants to be the centre of attention when he deflects, yet other managers do it and they are great lads for protecting their players.

Then on the other side if he was to be critical of players after a shoddy performance he would get lambasted for "throwing them under a bus"

He simply cannot win.

Everything he says and does is under a microscope which is of course partly his own fault due to some of his less than savoury shenanigans with other clubs but Jose and United = headlines so its to be expected.

Its at the stage that no matter what he achieves in the future, whether with us or with others, many people won't give him the credit he has earned.

Coupled with the fact he is now managing us you can ramp that hatred up to the nth degree.

The man is a serial winner and I'm very happy he is our manager. He is bringing back the siege mentality that we had under Fergie where everyone wanted to see us fail.

Get another couple of players in during the summer, defensive midfielder is the key position we are lacking in IMO, and make a proper title challenge next season.

Couldn't agree more. He knows exactly what he is doing every press conference is calculated he doesn't rant for sake of it.

Look at that presser for the Middlesbrough game the club is on the back of a defeat at Chelsea and two players suspended for it and we had a tight enough game in the Europa league but yet not one negative question was asked about ander or the performances it was all about the fixture pile up.

Yeh we need to fix the base of mild field we need to find a warrior to put in there that can handle the pressure and control games from deep.

hoping pogba misses the France games now that would be a two week rest and him and Zlatan would be fresh for load of games coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

oh interesting

I blame myself lol

Headshot wrote: »
    I blame myself lol

Its not your fault dude we are doomed...

Its like that film the others but instead of a house its sixth place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Its not your fault dude we are doomed...

Its like that film the others but instead of a house its sixth place

The Sixth Sense?

adox wrote: »
    The Sixth Sense?

ha ha ha I like that one

• Advertisement

Horrible weather today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement