Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

bangkok wrote: »
    no but players are always slagging each other on the pitch, nothing in it unless he said something racist

Could have insulted his mama. Ain't nobody gonna insult Eric's mama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Valencia is unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Scarlet for Arsenal.

Stream dies in the 89th minute, Middlesbrough looking dangerous...

NlnZFMw.gif

Get the stream back working in the 93rd minute expecting the worst...

BfFDib6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I do understand why Jose decided to go so defensive in the last 15 minutes, he knew how important it was that we came away with the points from that position and the huge negative effect there would be if we yet again failed to take the three points. Its obvious he desperately wanted to shut the game down and not risk Middlesborough getting an easy goal or through one on one after a slip.

I get his thinking, but I really disagree with it, he disrupted the entire shape of the team to protect against a side that never looked like scoring and couldn't work the ball forward at all.

Previous results led to that sort of thinking but we need to be above it and have confidence in the players, even if they are tired and understrength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jose's interview proves today's formation was a case of needs must rather than that being the preferred way of playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hopefully Gabbiadini will be in Harry Kane mode against Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lingard should be banned for that celebration.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Jose's interview proves today's formation was a case of needs must rather than that being the preferred way of playing.

Yeah. He admitted it was a mistake to let them put so much pressure on us like it.

My issue isnt the idea behind such a playstyle, but that we very obviously dont have the players capable of playing it. Smalling, in particular, makes me cringe when we're so defensive. He's good for a blunder a game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

sky88 wrote: »

It was undeniably brilliant :D Lighten up mate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Im sure people will say I'm wrong but I understood the change of tactics were down to fatigue and Middlesborough lumping the ball forward as fast as they could.

Rashford looked like he needed a banana in second half he was wrecked and bearly strolling around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeah. He admitted it was a mistake to let them put so much pressure on us like it.

My issue isnt the idea behind such a playstyle, but that we very obviously dont have the players capable of playing it. Smalling, in particular, makes me cringe when we're so defensive. He's good for a blunder a game now.

I think his days are numbered at United.He looks so poor this season,regularly making poor decisions.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think his days are numbered at United.He looks so poor this season,regularly making poor decisions.

He's regressed so much from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The problem for me is that our defence is shambolic at times when crosses are coming in no matter how many CBs are back there. Sometimes more of them only makes things worse.

The danger needs to be stopped at source by putting pressure on the opposition outside the box. Fellaini was the main culprit in the 2nd half standing off giving Boro players time to look up and pick passes, even Ashley Young was having to come in field to pressurise a player Fellaini was standing in front of but too far away to be anything but a giant training cone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I would have been a defender of smalling's, saying he needs a run of games etc. but to be honest he has been very poor of late even with starting regularly enough. Would have Jones above him now - Jones can also slip at times but I think he is more reliable overall. Great tackle on Negredo in the second half for example

Jayop wrote: »
    He's regressed so much from last year.

There was arguments made over the summer that he benefited massively from LVG's ultra-negative systems, that were massively dismissed by a lot of people. But when I see how he has "regressed" this season, I can't help but feel that way again.

I don't think Smalling did himself many favours today, and a new central defender signed in the summer would put his place most at risk in my opinion.
    Rojo has looked so much better under Jose, Jones so far this season has been less injury prone, whether that continues well we will see, maybe a more appropriate training to individual players is being used, I don't know.
    Bailly signed under Jose, so no question there and I don't think many United fans would question his place in the team.

Fellaini when needed has really stepped up to the mark, some lovely moves on Thursday, broke the deadlock today. Maybe he wants to play more games and will leave, but he is a really good option to have in the team.

I think Zlatan would have loved the game today if he had not been suspended.

What has been clear for a while now is Rooney is finished at United. He has been great for the club, but time has not been favourable to him.

Lingard is a superb squad player, I know some criticise him, but I love having him at the club, he does step up when called upon - Wembley and today missing many players, but he did what was required of him.

Young as a full back or a wing back was a positive that LVG gave us. I was not a fan of Young the winger, but I love how Young does a job for United in the current role, what an excellent assist.

I am also very happy with both our goalkeepers, we are so fortunate to have two that can be world class, De Gea is world class, Romero is a bit under rated overall, but better than most goalkeepers in the Premier League.

Overall, one has to be very happy. It would have been nice to be still in the FA Cup, but it was the lowest priority given CL football is the only prize United want, and it would be great to qualify by the two means possible, and win the tournament that is missing from the United trophy cabinet.
    Today is a good day.

sky88 wrote: »

I think he may have done that for St Patrick's weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Have to laugh at you guys selling off every English player we have. If its not Jones its Smalling, Lingard, Rooney, or Shaw. We cannot get rid of all of them, infact we need to retain English players for the homegrown quota.

Smalling is definitely struggling but we can't be selling him.

• Advertisement

There was arguments made over the summer that he benefited massively from LVG's ultra-negative systems, that were massively dismissed by a lot of people. But when I see how he has "regressed" this season, I can't help but feel that way again.

That is how I felt and feel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mbabbe scores again for Monaco. Will we go shopping there again in the Summer?

zerks wrote: »

IIRC, he turned down Real and Chelsea in either the winter window or last summer. He looks great, but will command a small fortune, and I think our midfield problems could be solved at a far better "value for money" rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I don't get the obsession with selling players.

I don't see any of our centre halfs leaving it's great to have the options we do.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Have to laugh at you guys selling off every English player we have. If its not Jones its Smalling, Lingard, Rooney, or Shaw. We cannot get rid of all of them, infact we need to retain English players for the homegrown quota.

Smalling is definitely struggling but we can't be selling him.

Rooney is not good enough.
    Smalling is fine in a very defensive system, we can keep him but is he really good enough?
    Jones is looking good under Jose, it has been the injuries that frustrated most people.
    Lingard, I have been a cheerleader of his, for me he is a goal scorer so it makes me happy when he does it.
    I don't get involved in the Shaw debate as I don't really know what is going on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It was a nonsense narrative to suggest Smalling was good last season because of LVGs tactics last season and it still is. He didn't start playing football last season.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's an obsession; it's being realistic.

We have five central defenders in Bailly, Rojo, Smalling, Jones and Blind. I think most people would accept we could do with someone more consistent in there. So do you think that Smalling or Blind will be happy playing 5th or 6th string? Jones and Rojo look happy with being squad players, AND are giving it their all this season (both have probably had their best seasons in a United shirt this year).

So if we do bring in someone, at least one of those 5 are gone.

zerks wrote: »

Not a chance. He idolises Ronaldo so expect him at Real Madrid this Summer or next. They will want him as they wanted him when he was younger.

I would rather Lukaku. Half the price and almost guarantees you goals in the Premier League.

IIRC, he turned down Real and Chelsea in either the winter window or last summer. He looks great, but will command a small fortune, and I think our midfield problems could be solved at a far better "value for money" rate.

We need lads that can stick the ball in the net week in week out too.We should have been cruising today but once more the problem of missed chances had us on edge until Valdes slipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Thats the Spurs game over so

adox wrote: »
    It was a nonsense narrative to suggest Smalling was good last season because of LVGs tactics last season and it still is. He didn't start playing football last season.

Smalling had the disaster against City in the 2014/15 season, when he came back from suspension and the rest of the time under LVG he played well.

It is like how Rojo seems to suit the Jose system.

• Advertisement

Spurs game over already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I don't think it's an obsession; it's being realistic.

So if we do bring in someone, at least one of those 5 are gone.

The players you've mentioned have gotten plenty of games. I'd be shocked if they wanted to leave.

If we bring someone else then that obviously means someone will have to leave.

There's absolutely an obsession with posters here, it's been going on since the Moyes days.

Spurs are getting stronger as the season finishes.

Yeah I think at this stage it's one cl place for United, arsenal or Liverpool. Should city win today then that's even more likely.

Yeah I think at this stage it's one cl place for United, arsenal or Liverpool. Should city win today then that's even more likely.

Yeah a draw or a City win undoubtedly the best result for Utd.

I will be cheering for City though.

Very solid at home, next year at Wembley might be a different story, Spurs are a definite top 4 this season.

Agreed. Spurs and City I cannot see finishing lower than 4th. Arsenal look miserable so they could be out of the running already. Its us and Liverpool.

Have a feeling we get 4th and win the EL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think it's only a matter of time before we bring a new centre back in to partner Bailly. When that times comes I think Smalling won't be happy being what could be 5th choice, especially if he is thinking of his England career.

I would possibly even have Blind above him now (though I am a big fan of Blind to be fair)

Any mention of a De Gea injury? Did seem to pick up a foot injury in the last few minutes.

City have question marks over them defensively.
    They also lost their new divine inspiration Jesus who got injured and with no miraculous return in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

utd finish 4th and win the EL, do 5th get into champions league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

utd finish 4th and win the EL, do 5th get into champions league?

Nope but it would be fun to take away CL from the rest.

Kind of like when Father Jack took the 2 parachutes

I think it's only a matter of time before we bring a new centre back in to partner Bailly. When that times comes I think Smalling won't be happy being what could be 5th choice, especially if he is thinking of his England career.

I would possibly even have Blind above him now (though I am a big fan of Blind to be fair)

Ah youse are losing the run of yourselves with what you may want to happen rather than what will.

Smalling has been Joses captain a lot of times this season. There is no way he will be fifth choice even if a new cb is brought in.

Jones was poor today too and Bailly has been consistently poor since returning from the ACN. As for Blind, he should only ever be an emergency CB option. A squad player at best in any position he plays.

I still see Smalling and Bailly as our best partnership currently at the club despite underwhelming form from both of them.

RobertKK wrote: »
    City have question marks over them defensively.
    They also lost their new divine inspiration Jesus who got injured and with no miraculous return in sight.

City are awful defensively but have more than enough going for them the other way to compensate for it against a lot of teams.

For all our faults at the back we are still one of the top defensive sides in the league.

• Unearthly wrote: »
    Nope but it would be fun to take away CL from the rest.

Kind of like when Father Jack took the 2 parachutes

Quality from Unearthly :)

• bangkok wrote: »
    Valencia is unbelievable.

Yep, you have been a solid defender of his so fair play.
    I still don't think he does enough in attack but you cannot doubt his defensive capabilities.
    Another solid display.

Everyone sounds so down about the result...lads...3-1...into 5th.....get in!

Bailly has been consistently poor since returning from the ACN.

Yeah but at the end of next month he will be Only 23 so performances don't count. I'm still unsure at what age we are allowed expect a decent level of performance from a player but its definitely not at Only 23. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Any mention of a De Gea injury? Did seem to pick up a foot injury in the last few minutes.

He kind of rolled his ankle a bit taking a kick out, didn't look to be much in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Another pic of the new jersey

manchester-united-17-18-home-kit-2.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement