Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

That jersey is sweet. The collar and buttons reminds me of an old Newcastle one from the David Ginola days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ron Jeremy sitting just behind the Southampton dugout.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pogba's injury was actually a blessing in disguise. Didnt play today and wont be going away on international duty. A few days off in the sun will do him good and he will come back stronger for the final push of the season, same with Zlatan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

bangkok wrote: »
    Pogba's injury was actually a blessing in disguise. Didnt play today and wont be going away on international duty. A few days off in the sun will do him good and he will come back stronger for the final push of the season, same with Zlatan

In othes words Pogba has been pretty poor for the last while and the break will do him good

bangkok wrote: »

So you are saying he will be fresh as a daisy for the West Brom game? So no fatigue excuse if he plays bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

GSPfan wrote: »
    So you are saying he will be fresh as a daisy for the West Brom game? So no fatigue excuse if he plays bad?

well thats if hes back for it, they said he will be out for 3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just put a fiver on Liverpool to win at 4/1 ohhhh God I really hope they don't slip up now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

xtal191 wrote: »
    Another pic of the new jersey

manchester-united-17-18-home-kit-2.jpg

Hope this is it because just bought it on Aliexpress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

beno619 wrote: »
    I don't get the obsession with selling players.

I don't see any of our centre halfs leaving it's great to have the options we do.

Its hardly an obsession ,players move to/from clubs all the time.

I fully expect a CB to be bought in the summer,will all our current CB's be happy fighting it out for 3 choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Just looking at our fixtures plus the current table. Would be really good for us if Palace and Swansea start picking up points now... As we play them towards the end of the season.

Do not need games Vs City, Arsenal and Spurs along with two teams battling it for safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

yabadabado wrote: »
    Its hardly an obsession ,players move to/from clubs all the time.

I fully expect a CB to be bought in the summer,will all our current CB's be happy fighting it out for 3 choice?

I don't see why a new CB coming in is a given to be honest

Not only are we well stocked with young defenders all approaching their prime, there is also the question of who we get that is better than what we have? I'm not seeing all that much quality out there that would meaningfully improve us, especially considering our current bunch are one of the meanest defences in the league.

And what about this new defensive midfielder that is going to improve Pogba's game? Surely that same defensive midfielder will also make a huge difference to our backline, giving it a protection that it currently doesn't have? Does that midfielder negate the need to buy a new CB?

And don't forget one other thing, Jose has already bought his CB target, he already got reinforcements there, so considering the problems elsewhere on the field you might think CB isn't really a priority. We need full backs, midfielders, wingers and strikers, so why spend money replacing perfectly adequate center backs?

No, I wouldn't place money on a new CB's coming in the summer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Be nice if the City/Liverpool game could be over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Should defo go with 7 at the back next game.
    Valencia Bailly Smalling Jones Rojo Blind Young.
    6 just isn't enough.
    It works for Chelsea. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Another pic of the new jersey

manchester-united-17-18-home-kit-2.jpg

I normally love Addidas jerseys because they normally don't have the stupid looking polo shirt necks. Buttons have no place on a jersey imo.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Buttons have no place on a jersey imo.

That's the most random thing to have such a definitive opinion on.

How do you feel about laces in their place instead? We've done that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I don't see why a new CB coming in is a given to be honest

No, I wouldn't place money on a new CB's coming in the summer at all.

Exactly. It's the lowest priority.

When you look at the money Arsenal spent on someone average like Mustafi we should be counting our blessings we're so well stocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That's grand for us.

We'll take that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Excellent result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

:D

Great weekend

• Advertisement

Good weekend.
    Chelsea and Spurs look the safest for top 3/2.
    So all the other rivals dropping points was a great weekend.
    Gained:
    3 on Arsenal
    2 on both Liverpool and City.

How that game ended 1-1 I'll never know. Haven't seen so many sitters missed since Pogba against Bournemouth! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Have to be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Excellent weekend of results for us. Top 4 is in our own hands now,as we head into the home stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Four points behind Liverpool with 2 games in hand.

Considering we ****ed up so many key opportunities to move up places this season we are blessed to still be in with a chance. Lets hope our form picks up again and we actually do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It would be the greatest troll of all time if we won the EL and got 4th aswell, displacing the scouse.

In reality its highly unlikely and EL is probably the best chance to get CL next year but still, a man can dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Four points behind Liverpool with 2 games in hand.

Considering we ****ed up so many key opportunities to move up places this season we are blessed to still be in with a chance. Lets hope our form picks up again and we actually do it.

Still have have to play 5 of the top 7 though. It was handy set of fixtures for utd last 2 months they really should be higher up the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Just looking at 1st of April games.

Liverpool v Everton is the early kick off
    We are at home to a West brom team who have been on a good run.

April the 2nd

Arsenal v City

OH **** yea this could be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We've West Brom at home next while all our rivals have really tough games. Liverpool have the derby against a resurgent Everton, spurs are away to Burnley who don't loss much at home and city play arsenal.

Another win next week and we improve our position regardless. I'd prefer arsenal to win that one and drag city back into the scrap. Don't know if they'd have the bottle down the straight.

• Advertisement

**** you sReq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Pool won't have Coutinho or Firmino for the Merseyside derby. Both on international duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

niallo27 wrote: »
    Still have have to play 5 of the top 7 though. It was handy set of fixtures for utd last 2 months they really should be higher up the table.

Handy set of fixtures for Liverpool when they went from title contended to 5th in 2 months and failed to win a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Pool will hammer Everton

Pool will hammer Everton

I don't think so.

That has been talked about daily in this thread the last while. Those league draws have affected the overall mood in here lately despite United winning the EFL and advancing to the QF of the Europa recently. All of what you say there is no news to this thread at all.

Thankfully though, where we were picking up a point (granted we should have been picking up 3) in those frustrating draws, other teams like Liverpool and Arsenal were generating memes weekly because they were picking up no points against relegation candidates. We should be higher up the table in one sense, but we should be dead and buried and well out of the race in another sense.

Considering Liverpool's run after the international break with most of their games coming up against non-Top 6 teams, I'd be more worried about your own run of matches than ours.

• Advertisement

March is a decent month for us fixture wise. Chelsea is taught but apart from that they're all winnable.

Watching Sky Sports.
    Redknapp saying United will not make top 4 along with Arsenal.
    Quinn disagreed saying United will have something to say about that.
    Souness agreed with Redknapp.

Dream would be United to finish top 3, United win the Europa, and Leicester managed by Shakespeare to deliver a Shakespearean tragedy by winning the CL to whoever ends up 4th..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

RobertKK wrote: »
    Watching Sky Sports.
    Redknapp saying United will not make top 4 along with Arsenal.
    Quinn disagreed saying United will have something to say about that.
    Souness agreed with Redknapp.

Dream would be United to finish top 3, United win the Europa, and Leicester managed by Shakespeare to deliver a Shakespearean tragedy by winning the CL to whoever ends up 4th..

Your first mistake was listening to anything Redknapp,that lad is stealing a living on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Handy dandy table for you....Let me know if I have anything wrong...

Spurs Man City Liverpool Man Utd Arsenal
    Apr 1/2 Burnley A Arsenal A Everton H WBA H Man City H
    Apr 4/5 Swansea A Chelsea A B'mouth H Everton H WHam H
    Apr 8/9/10 Watford H Hull H Stoke A S'land A CPalace A
    Apr 15/16/17 B'mouth H S'ampton A WBA A Chelsea H Boro A
    Apr 22 CPalace H Burnley A
    Apr 29/30 Arsenal H Boro A Watford A Swansea H Spurs A
    May 6 WHam A CPalace H S'ampton H Arsenal A Man Utd H
    May 13 Man Utd H Leicester H WHam H Spurs A Stoke A
    May 21 Hull A Watford A Boro H CPalace H Everton H

TBD Leicester A WBA H Man City A S'land H
    TBD C Palace A Man Utd H S'ampton A S'ampton A
    TBD Leicester H

I'm just unable to do the same maths that pool fans are doing?? They saying it's entirely in there hands but I just don't see it unless teams around them drop points? I need beer.

Mind you I'm not 100 percent confident united will make top four unless some players pick up form drastically but similar to that they are delighted they have all the top teams out of the way but they have been dirt against the bottom teams.

We need to come back after International break with major momentum behind us and players up for the challenge I do believe jose will get performance out of them in the big games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Im taking the credit for today lads, missed all the football and just got back to the results..

:D delighted

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'm just unable to do the same maths that pool fans are doing?? They saying it's entirely in there hands but I just don't see it unless teams around them drop points? I need beer.

Mind you I'm not 100 percent confident united will make top four unless some players pick up form drastically but similar to that they are delighted they have all the top teams out of the way but they have been dirt against the bottom teams.

We need to come back after International break with major momentum behind us and players up for the challenge I do believe jose will get performance out of them in the big games.

Well If utd win it's means they are taking points of spurs or city. It is in Liverpool hands realistically you can't argue that. 6 of the last 9 games are at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Haven't had a look yet but we only play teams below us and United, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and City all have a few games between themselves.

So if Liverpool win all their games the others can't because they play each other and points will be dropped.

I assume that's where they are coming from?

Well If utd win it's means they are taking points of spurs or city. It is in Liverpool hands realistically you can't argue that. 6 of the last 9 games are at home.

Yeh fair enough but to be really pedantic city are ahead of ye with a game in hand so that scratches that one out and ye have no real hope of catching spurs either.

I dont think it puts us favourite for top four we have a horrendous set of fixtures remaining due to European football but it is definitely far from straight forward for Liverpool even arsenal are level on points with ye if they win two games in hand.

Yeh fair enough but to be really pedantic city are ahead of ye with a game in hand so that scratches that one out and ye have no real hope of catching spurs either.

I dont think it puts us favourite for top four we have a horrendous set of fixtures remaining due to European football but it is definitely far from straight forward for Liverpool even arsenal are level on points with ye if they win two games in hand.

No liverpool fans are saying it's straight forward. Believe me. If they are they are lying to you.

It's easier focusing the mind on beating Anderlecht as a route to the Champions League. The Premier league is just too dodgey to try make sense of what will happen.

No liverpool fans are saying it's straight forward. Believe me. If they are they are lying to you.

Im jut glad all have something to fight for makes it more fun.

Im jut glad all have something to fight for makes it more fun.

You know it's going sickening if utd go ahead on the 2nd last or last round of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

At this moment CL qualification is in the hands of Chelsea, Spurs, City and Utd. Anyone else is relying on one of them to drop points. :)

How Liverpool and Arsenal have lost control of their destiny is beyond me because Utd have been pretty meh in 2017 so far.

You know it's going sickening if utd go ahead on the 2nd last or last round of games.

Yep and it could possibly happen.. Said it here a few weeks ago with the way our fixtures are we could realistically be a few points off 3rd or 4th at the end of April but have games in hand.

Im sure we would love it and really enjoy it but we need to pick up the performances big time for it to happen. I think we are looking at dropping maybe 10 to 12 points on our run in so if ye drop another 6 to 8 points we will pip ye.

What do you think points wise it will take?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement