Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Bookmakers have slashed the odds on Coleman joining United according to Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Korat wrote: »
    I think you've been conned by the hype.

It's not worth that many words.

Mane is a good player, do you need to write a novel about it?

Thanks for the feedback, if its all the same with you I will post as I see fit.

Leaving aside the post covering more then simply Mane being a good player

You didn't like the post, I like yours, I enjoy irony.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Bookmakers have slashed the odds on Coleman joining United according to Sky.

I wouldn't pass any heed on that.A few quid will move those markets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I doubley hate bookies odds when Sky are reporting, as they have conflicts of interest there. When you announce odds are dropping like that, people will throw money on to try and capitalise on something thats more likely. So Sky can quite easily manipulate people into spending money on their betting sites by reporting their own odds on their own news channel.

It's baffling that people will bet on transfers in the first place. Is there not enough actual football to bet on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Perhaps I feel guilty for not being so eloquent about players like Rooney.

A player I really do respect.

It's baffling that people will bet on transfers in the first place. Is there not enough actual football to bet on?

When you want to gamble, you'll take whatever you feel you can get the best odds on, no matter what it is :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

if you have inside info its a great way to make money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Nailz wrote: »
    I never got this, any time Bastian played for United (which obviously isn't that much) he put himself about the pitch much better than Carrick ever has. This whole thing that Schweinsteiger's legs are gone is a myth, he might not have the stamina for full back-to-back matches, but his endeavour and relative pace are still decent.

There was a point in the first half yesterday when bastian lost a challenge just inside our half and lost possession he went to track back but wasn't fast enough and rooney ran past him to win possession back just outside our box I remember looking at it and thinking that's why Carrick is so good because he rarely challenge for balls that high up the pitch he leaves it for ander and pogba.

I agree bastian does cover a lot more ground then Carrick and does put himself about but he would be better off if he didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

20mil for Rooney would make Hernandez look expensive. Easily 100m if Oscar is 60m. Even if he arrived with no legs the brand alone is worth that with the crazy money over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

100 million Chinese Yuan maybe.

There isnt a snowballs chance in hell of Rooney going anywhere for £100 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Rooney wont go to China. It ends his England career and he has to move all his family to China. Its not happening. English players rarely travel outside the UK to play football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If Rooney was to go off to China then we would be lucky to get £30m in a transfer fee and tbh, at this point, I wouldn't take it.

While he is past his best he is still a decent option to have off the bench.

We have a lot of games left this season already and if we go deep in the EL and the FA cup we will need all the bodies we have, particularly since Morgan and Memphis have departed.

Barring a ridiculous number like £50million + being bid then it would be silly to sell him.

We are the richest club in the world.

We don't need the money.

considering the wages he is currently on along with his age, anything over 20m would be fantastic money for Rooney. i hope though he stays until the end of the season, cant afford to be losing a player of his calibre in january

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »
    thinking that's why Carrick is so good because he rarely challenge for balls that high up the pitch he leaves it for ander and pogba.

The magnificent talent of sitting back and taking no risks. ;)

• Advertisement

@Rob Munch

To be honest if he wanted to go Id wish him well and send him on his way. We are well stocked up front with Mata and Rashford wanting more games anyway. Rooney is so far off the player he was that I think Mata and Rashford offer more now.

Forget money, Rooney is finished as a starter at United and if he wanted to go its best to let him.

IMO.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Rooney wont go to China. It ends his England career and he has to move all his family to China. Its not happening. English players rarely travel outside the UK to play football.

This is the single biggest reason why a China move is very unlikely, in my opinion, I don't know the man but I would bet dollars to donuts that he has no interest whatsoever in sampling the Chinese lifestyle.

I think he will go soon, but it will be to another English club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

America makes the most sense for Rooney I'd say. Doesn't need to learn a new language and you'd imagine it wouldn't be a massive culture shock to move the family there.

That said I don't see it happening for another year.

GSPfan wrote: »
    @Rob Munch

To be honest if he wanted to go Id wish him well and send him on his way. We are well stocked up front with Mata and Rashford wanting more games anyway. Rooney is so far off the player he was that I think Mata and Rashford offer more now.

Forget money, Rooney is finished as a starter at United and if he wanted to go its best to let him.

IMO.

Oh of course, if a bid comes in and he asks to leave then it would be silly to keep him.

As others have said though, its hard to see him wanting to go there.

Then again, id imagine if he did he would become the highest paid player in the world.

Couple of years there, then out to pasture in the MLS.

Stranger things have happened.

The magnificent talent of sitting back and taking no risks. ;)

Well exactly I said it loads its not Because he is so talented it's because he is just simple in what he does he don't need to charge forward from deep midfield he just needs to read the game and make the challenges and majority of the time that's good enough.

But that tactic has been found out a few times this season too for that we need another option ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Blackburn away

nice draw

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Away to Blackburn in F.A Cup

Thrilled in that, mainly cause of nostalgia. Blackburn were such a good team when I was younger so will be fun seeing that rivalry reignited :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Blackburn always gave United a load of away tickets, for league games, and made for one of the best grounds for away support and atmosphere. Hopefully it will be the same for this one, with a full house, and will lead to a cracking game.

Gerrard's your hero, Forlan scores again.

Gerrard's your hero, Forlan scores again.

Man Utd score again

All the big teams got an away draw. Thats good. Sutton got Arsenal. Good for them.

We should batter Blackburn without a problem.

Your guaranteed an upset or two from that draw let's just hope it's not us.

With Rafael gone perhaps Pogba will finally get a chance to play midfield against Blackburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Lads, I'm going to game on weds but wanted to give a heads up to anybody who can go away last minute ....

I got it for €99 but there is still one spot available for €109. It includes match tickets, coach and boat to and from game. Can't do much better then that!

https://www.midlandtravel.ie/football-packages/manchester-united

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Short trip to a team in the Championship relegation zone.

Cant complain.

We play the Europa League on the Thurs so Blackburn game probably another 4pm Sunday job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Short trip to a team in the Championship relegation zone.

Cant complain.

We play the Europa League on the Thurs so Blackburn game probably another 4pm Sunday job.
    On tv, again? Oh won't someone think of the children!? :D

On tv, again? Oh won't someone think of the children!? :D

The conspiracy theorists in the blue half of Manchester will love that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Drumpot wrote: »
    Lads, I'm going to game on weds but wanted to give a heads up to anybody who can go away last minute ....

I got it for €99 but there is still one spot available for €109. It includes match tickets, coach and boat to and from game. Can't do much better then that!

https://www.midlandtravel.ie/football-packages/manchester-united

I don't think I could cope with a 24 hour trip, tempted though! Have you done the trip before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

duffman13 wrote: »
    I don't think I could cope with a 24 hour trip, tempted though! Have you done the trip before?

This is my first time boating it in less then a day. Last game I was at was fergies farewell at Old Trafford but I stayed overnight!

I will let you know how it goes. I'm going on my own cause none of my friends could get time off work or a wife permission slip at short notice.

It's a lot of travelling in one day but at that price it was hard to turn it down..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

duffman13 wrote: »

I did it before to Wigan for a Chelsea game with one of those companies, the travelling is very rough! Was wrecked for a few days after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's some spin if you get it from Athlone but be home in time for work Thursday morning :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Did the boat and coach thing a few times back in the day. Not a chance of me doing it now.

I've actually never stepped foot on a bus of any kind after doing the coach from Dublin to Rosslare, boat to Cherbourg, coach to Paris for an Ireland game.
    That was just hell.

Hate boats and coaches. Only thing I hate more is planes. I'm fooked really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

My honeymoon was ;
    Coach from Dublin, ferry to Liverpool, motorway to London, an overnight there, coach to Dover, missed boat to Calais, so we went on ferry to Zebrugge. Coach trip to Brussels, to see us play Belgium, we had a perfect goal disallowed , and ended up losing to a late Jan Couliman goal. Overnight stay, coach back to Calais, ferry to Dover and on to London, overnight stay, coach to Liverpool, went to see United away to Everton, we won 1 nil, Joe Jordan scored, ferry back to Dublin ..... to concentrate on comsumating the marriage ..:)
    Really enjoyed the whole trip, great craic and of course the coach was told it had a honeymoon couple on board.... great craic joining in to see who they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Did that coach day trip a couple of times about 8 years ago.

Ya are on the road early for the ferry but didn't mind that cause ya have the game to look forward to. The hanging around after the game is bit of a killer and ya will be wrecked on Thursday but like yea said at that kind of money ya will put up with it.

Second time I did there was a rough enough element on our coach. One of the f**kin plebs got rowdy after a few too many and put a rock through the back window of the very bus he was travelling on as we waited to leave after the game. Cold trip back to Hollyhead after that.

secman wrote: »
    My honeymoon was ;
    Coach from Dublin, ferry to Liverpool, motorway to London, an overnight there, coach to Dover, missed boat to Calais, so we went on ferry to Zebrugge. Coach trip to Brussels, to see us play Belgium, we had a perfect goal disallowed , and ended up losing to a late Jan Couliman goal. Overnight stay, coach back to Calais, ferry to Dover and on to London, overnight stay, coach to Liverpool, went to see United away to Everton, we won 1 nil, Joe Jordan scored, ferry back to Dublin ..... to concentrate on comsumating the marriage ..:)
    Really enjoyed the whole trip, great craic and of course the coach was told it had a honeymoon couple on board.... great craic joining in to see who they were.

I've enjoyed coaches and ferries but do you need to write a novel about it?

(I'm joking, it's well writen and any anecdote including Joe Jordan is worth telling)

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Korat wrote: »
    I've enjoyed coaches and ferries but do you need to write a novel about it?

(I'm joking, it's well writen and any anecdote including Joe Jordan is worth telling)

:)

March 1981 , have to write about it now and again to remember it :)

I only pulled out of going over to Wednesday's game last night. My wingman got shítpiled with work for this week at the last minute and couldn't go, and as much as I like my alone time I was too much of a dry one to go over on my own for the overnight.

Even though it's a long stint that day-trip is well survivable and €109 is a very good price. Tempted.

secman wrote: »
    March 1981 , have to write about it now and again to remember it :)

That is a long time ago.

• Advertisement

A man died at his workplace in an accident at a harbour in Connemara he was a father-of-four originally from Donegal.

Somebody pressed the self-destruct button...

Somebody pressed the self-destruct button...

And then he goes and deletes posts and edits the others :rolleyes:

Bailly injured in a reserve game. Club said it's nothing serious, apart from the serious stupidity of playing him in a reserve game after he played three full games in Africa and when we have a game every three days.

This popped up on my FB memories today.

Its also the 6 year anniversary of Andy Carroll's record breaking move.

Good times.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement