Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

jayo26 wrote: »
    Last 15 minutes of back six I recall and it was a tactical change after Boro realised they had nothing to loose so threw everything at our defence.

The alternative is be like Wenger and attack every team until the opposition realise to get around it but still try attack and start loosing?

Or be like pep and concede goals hoping you score more?

Or be like pool and press teams until they learn you can't press when you have the ball so you don't have a plan B?

We won 3_1 yesterday and jose again showed willingness to change it up to secure a win.

Im much more happy with how we are going then alot of our rivals, so far it looks like we won't be beaten on tactics but will could be on fatigue but that's the price you pay.

Fatigue? Another one buying the media spin... plenty of teams have played as many games as utd over the years and not fatigued.

They have one of, if the the highest, paid managers in the league. One of the most expensively assembled and most paid teams in world football. Fatigue my asre ... it's spin for the team playing dour football and Mourinho trying to build a little excuse/siege mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Its great that so many other teams are worried about Jose and not playing the United way. 2 of the back 6 (Valencia and Young) were playing very far up the pitch until boro decided to throw the kitchen sink at us. No different to Conte having matic drop deep when Chelsea are under pressure late in games they need to see out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Vanolder wrote: »
    Fatigue? Another one buying the media spin... plenty of teams have played as many games as utd over the years and not fatigued.

They have one of, if the the highest, paid managers in the league. One of the most expensively assembled and most paid teams in world football. Fatigue my asre ... it's spin for the team playing dour football and Mourinho trying to build a little excuse/siege mentality.

Well its an excuse that pool were happy to go along with and say what there manager was trying to avoid by not caring about cup competitions.

If you think the football Is dour thats your opinion but id safely say we have been creating more chances in the majority of games then Liverpool have over the past 3 months.

We had a hatfull of chances yesterday that weren't finished it's been the same in the majority of our games. Doutlr football was last year when we were going threw games with 2 or 3 shots on goal and maybe one on target.

You are defining a game by 15 minutes of football thats ok but it is far from anything like you are trying to make Out.

And again fatigue was mentioned in regards Liverpool in February now that is making excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

What do City and Liverpool fans think of how their teams are playing?

The evidence is all the empty seats at the game yesterday.

I suppose when the biggest star at your club is the quirky manager why bother watch the team play when it's the press conferences you're more interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Did we win or lose yesterday I'm confused.

Did we win or lose yesterday I'm confused.

Win win win win win win win wooohoooo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

When you look at Valencia and Young average position during yesterdays game they were pretty similar to Moses & Alonsos for Chelsea against Stoke on Saturday.

3 games in 6 days. Missing 2 first choice centre mids & 1st choice striker. Can be happy to come away with a win yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well its an excuse that pool were happy to go along with and say what there manager was trying to avoid by not caring about cup competitions.

If you think the football Is dour thats your opinion but id safely say we have been creating more chances in the majority of games then Liverpool have over the past 3 months.

We had a hatfull of chances yesterday that weren't finished it's been the same in the majority of our games. Doutlr football was last year when we were going threw games with 2 or 3 shots on goal and maybe one on target.

You are defining a game by 15 minutes of football thats ok but it is far from anything like you are trying to make Out.

And again fatigue was mentioned in regards Liverpool in February now that is making excuses.

Squad sizes are not comparable though. If we loose 3 or 4 first teamers we are down to kids basically.

United may not have the best 11 in the league but they have a very good set of back up players to come in and fill most slots (probably the best second 11 in the league) so fatigue shouldn't affect United as much as teams with smaller squads.

We were terrible in January and little better in February, no excuses for that. We went from having an outside chance at the league to fighting for fourth because of that.

United have improved and i don't see a problem with going defensive for the last 20 minutes to secure the three points as that's what matters.

I thought United would win the league this year due to an already decent squad, very strong additions and bringing in a proven manager. Obviously that's not going to happen now but like some have said you've won a cup and progressing in EL. If you don't get fourth you still have a chance to get CL by winning the EL.

Would Mourinho be happy with your season? Probably not but the fans can see progress and he does bring trophies where ever he goes so you'd expect him to succeed at united.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

It's easy to see what this vanolder chap is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Korat wrote: »
    Jose's doing a fantastic job. He's upsetting all the right people as far as I'm concerned. I hope fans of other teams are spitting razor blades about how Utd play by the end of the season.

I think he's doing a good job so far, he has United back on track and it's obvious they are going the right way. Fantastic though is a bit of a stretch. I think he would have needed a title challenge for that.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Squad sizes are not comparable though. If we loose 3 or 4 first teamers we are down to kids basically.

United may not have the best 11 in the league but they have a very good set of back up players to come in and fill most slots (probably the best second 11 in the league) so fatigue shouldn't affect United as much as teams with smaller squads.

We were terrible in January and little better in February, no excuses for that. We went from having an outside chance at the league to fighting for fourth because of that.

United have improved and i don't see a problem with going defensive for the last 20 minutes to secure the three points as that's what matters.

I thought United would win the league this year due to an already decent squad, very strong additions and bringing in a proven manager. Obviously that's not going to happen now but like some have said you've won a cup and progressing in EL. If you don't get fourth you still have a chance to get CL by winning the EL.

Would Mourinho be happy with your season? Probably not but the fans can see progress and he does bring trophies where ever he goes so you'd expect him to succeed at united.

I agree with everything of course we have a deeper squad and of course there is progress I thought we would be challenging for title too but we went threw a very tricky spell at the start of season so right now champs league qualification and possibly two cup wins would be a massive success if it t comes off from where we came from.

but the one big key with liverpool is it was Klopps decision to get rid of his squad debt they invest nothing last summer whatsoever so it doesn't hold up saying ohh united spent the most and have the best squad imagine what Liverpool would do this year if he had to choose to buy a decent forward and bolster his defence with a higher level player but that's your managers choice same as its Jose's choice to defend for final 20 mins if it comes off he should be praised and if not he should answer to it.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    It's easy to see what this vanolder chap is doing.

Who cares really its amusing on a Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It's enjoyable to read other fans worry. Must be sickening to see us play bad and win.

Arsenal have already been passed and Liverpool are gonna be passed when we play our games in hand so its obvious they will rush in here to get a few digs in while they think they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hang on.. who does Vanolder support? It wouldn't be one of the teams that dropped points and we closed in on over the weekend would it?

:D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR3GBVZlrtr/

Going back to the states this year 5 games in two weeks in 4 venues. Should be a bit better organised then last year anyway.

I agree with everything of course we have a deeper squad and of course there is progress I thought we would be challenging for title too but we went threw a very tricky spell at the start of season so right now champs league qualification and possibly two cup wins would be a massive success if it t comes off from where we came from.

but the one big key with liverpool is it was Klopps decision to get rid of his squad debt they invest nothing last summer whatsoever so it doesn't hold up saying ohh united spent the most and have the best squad imagine what Liverpool would do this year if he had to choose to buy a decent forward and bolster his defence with a higher level player but that's your managers choice same as its Jose's choice to defend for final 20 mins if it comes off he should be praised and if not he should answer to it.

We never had much squad depth even during the Rafa time.

Last summer Klopp brought in Karius, Gruijic, Gigi, Mane and Matip. Gigi, Mane and Matip have been excellent. Gruijic has been plagued with injuries and Karius has struggled with the PL so far.

This summer we definitely need to add a few players, ideally better than those currently starting and then our squad will improve massively.

For years now we've always bought someone for the future but that always left us short of quality on the bench. Hopefully that won't happen as often now.

We never had much squad depth even during the Rafa time.

Last summer Klopp brought in Karius, Gruijic, Gigi, Mane and Matip. Gigi, Mane and Matip have been excellent. Gruijic has been plagued with injuries and Karius has struggled with the PL so far.

This summer we definitely need to add a few players, ideally better than those currently starting and then our squad will improve massively.

For years now we've always bought someone for the future but that always left us short of quality on the bench. Hopefully that won't happen as often now.

But don't you think it's down to your managers choice that your squad is thin? He sold off a few decent squad options the summer that would of definitely help get ye threw a few rounds of fa cup for example.

Im not trying to knock what klopp is doing im just using it as an example that one of your fans coming in here mouthing about negative this and that and money spent it's all down to what the manager chose to do and Klopp chose not to invest anything last summer and if he had of bought two quality players thrn pool would be not fighting for top four but would be already ahead of spurs.

Jose decided that we would have a better chance of hanging on to a win at Boro by switching defensively with 20 mins to go it proved to be the right choice so who is to knock him? If rashford had to of put away one of his many chances it wouldn't of come to that but it didnt work that way but it was a successful game for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

paulie21 wrote: »
    Manchester derby set for Thursday 27th April at 8pm

The game City fans most look forward to as the only time they can actually fill the stadium.

But don't you think it's down to your managers choice that your squad is thin? He sold off a few decent squad options the summer that would of definitely help get ye threw a few rounds of fa cup for example.

Im not trying to knock what klopp is doing im just using it as an example that one of your fans coming in here mouthing about negative this and that and money spent it's all down to what the manager chose to do and Klopp chose not to invest anything last summer and if he had of bought two quality players thrn pool would be not fighting for top four but would be already ahead of spurs.

Jose decided that we would have a better chance of hanging on to a win at Boro by switching defensively with 20 mins to go it proved to be the right choice so who is to knock him? If rashford had to of put away one of his many chances it wouldn't of come to that but it didnt work that way but it was a successful game for us.

In Summer 16 we sold Benteke (wasn't getting games), Skrtel (wanted to leave), Ibe (ridiculous fee for a player who had so few appearances), Joe Allen (12 months left and wanted first team football), Toure, Balotelli (wasn't getting games) and Brad Smith (very few appearances). A few of the younger guys went out on loan.

The only one there i was sorry to see go and would have gotten a few games this year is probably Joe Allen. But then again we seem to be ok in midfield with Henderson, Can, Lalana and Gigi with Couthino being able to play the Lalana role aswell and Milner also able to cover Midfield.

I think where we were short was at RB and LB mainly going into the season. And another winger like Mane would have been nice.

But we brought in 6 new players so when is it too many in at once?

Hopefully get another CB, RB/LB, CM and Winger in this summer and the squad should look a lot better.

• Advertisement

Take your Liverpool squad talk back to your own thread! :)

Going back to the states this year 5 games in two weeks in 4 venues. Should be a bit better organised then last year anyway.

No Rooney on the adverts.. he is usually front and centre no?

It's like the neighbour coming round to complain about the hedge and next thing he's sitting down changing the tv channels. :rolleyes:

Hopefully get another CB, RB/LB, CM and Winger in this summer and the squad should look a lot better.

Who is your full time striker that gets you over 20 goals a season? Ye don't have one? That's what you are missing more then any fullback or midfielder.

Who is your full time striker that gets you over 20 goals a season? Ye don't have one? That's what you are missing more then any fullback or midfielder.

No striker like that at the minute but we're the highest scorers in the league this year so seems to be working ok.

The way our front three work with the pressing we win the ball high up and i don't know any strikers that would put a shift in like Bobby Firmino bar Suarez and we've no hope of resigning him!!

Would definitely like a 20 goal a season man but i think we need a CB and a LB more :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Fatigue.

• Advertisement

Fatigue.

Clown

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I will be in Salt Lake City in August, but United will be playing there in July :(
    Would love to go and see them on tour.

Any internationals featuring Utd players to keep an eye on this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

astradave wrote: »
    No Rooney on the adverts.. he is usually front and centre no?

My thoughts too, no Rooney, no Ibra- stood out to me

Maybe other artwork featuring DeGea, Martial etc may appear in future?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

My thoughts too, no Rooney, no Ibra- stood out to me

Maybe other artwork featuring DeGea, Martial etc may appear in future?

The article on manutd website has Mkhitaryan, Rashford, Rooney, Pogba, Mata, Ibra and Valencia in the photo so I would say they probably will release more promo photos with other players as time goes by.

• Advertisement

We might laugh and jeer in here and have digs about other teams but at least we ain't afraid to discuss our own clubs failings also.

Bloody ostriches.

1425_3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sure we used to go through a thread a week as the moyes and LVG reigns came to an end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

beno619 wrote:
    West Brom will be a very difficult game.

I wouldn't be getting​ my hopes up.

I agree, it will be a tricky match, but I'd like to point out that the away match against them was one of our easiest matches all season, where we strolled to a 2-0 victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

West Brom at home really shouldn't be a tough game at all. Hopefully a few of our lads will have had a bit of a rest over the international break and they will be raring to go again. The step up the league table could possibly give them the confidence to crack on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Vanolder, with this nonsense you are really spoiling us.
    You 'follow' Liverpool :D

You jumped on a bandwagon, mate, like most Irish football fans ... You've no affinity to Liverpool or any other post industrial revolution City in the UK other than them being on the TV a lot.

Bandwagoners.
    I think he meant barstool football is cancelled.

Barstoolers.
    Irish lads who say 'we' when talking about English football clubs.

Definitely something that "grinds the gears"
    A win is a win ... but for the umpteenth time this season we looked clueless and more importantly, leaderless, for large spells yesterday. Fair play to Can, he was the one player that really took on responsibility... I've no worries about next weeks game performance wise, but the team need to step up to the mark beyond that - it's fairly gutless stuff.

Credit to Mignolet also yesterday - he really commanded his box yesterday and came out with 2/3 big punches that he may have previously shied away from.

WE ARE LIVERPOOL TRA LA LA
    I cant see anything other than Liverpool and Chelsea shooting it out now for the title.

Top two.
    I told everyone a number of weeks ago that Liverpool would finish in the top 4 and a number of posters scoffed at me. Where are those posters now? I think Liverpool will finish a comfortable third.

No, comfortably top three.
    Arsenal and Utd have some very tough games left which leaves Liverpool firmly in the driving seat for 4th.

In the driving seat for 4th, baby!
    Luis Suarez... Born winner.

The man who bites, dives & cheats is nicest guy in football.
    Mourinho is easily the most horrible person in football ....

But Mourinho is the worst person ever.
    just find the double standards amusing.

Something we finally agree on.

No matter how much you dislike United, you should at least try to build some sort of credible case rather than coming in here and treating the thread (and others) as your vomit bag.

In general, the standard of football has been a massive improvement on what was served up by LVG and Moyes. In the first 18 games this season, we (yes, I said we, deal with it) had 296 shots, compared to 142 last season. That's 16 shots per game on average for a "horrible" and "extremely defensive" team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He's only gone and done it again!

Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, when a user gets banned, I'd rather people don't post about them, ask questions of them, etc etc.

So can we move on from the Vanholder stuff please and thanks.

• QONVIyz.gif

Move on from who??? :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Lot of people carrying on here like we just lost yesterday.. End of the day we played our 4th game in 10 days, with three away and one in ****ing Russia. Of course we were going to sit back with a two goal lead. Only for Smalling ****ing up we'd have got out of there with a three goal win. That's in a ground we've struggled in quite often over the years and in a game that was do or die for them.

This is what you get with Mourinho anyways and i totally see the sense in sitting back and protecting what you have with a knackered squad missing several players. Especially with a two goal lead against a goal starved side. Let's be honest, Boro didn't really threaten much after the goal either, we just got edgy after how many of our games went that way earlier in the year. I suspect Mourinho knows exactly what he's doing seeing out premier league games.

There's also an element to it imo that he's trying to toughen this squad up and give them some belief that they can see out games. This whole mental frailty we've displayed at times this season has got to stop, so shutting up shop with a lead a few times successfully is good for them as a unit

End of the day, we have the second best defence in the league after Chelsea and Spurs who are joint first with 21 goals each conceded. Both play back 3 systems, with Spurs in particular having far more talent in their defence. If you said to anyone here back in August that we'd be at the start of April having leaked only 23 goals in the league playing much more attacking football than before and starting Jones, Valencia, Smalling and Rojo game in game out, you'd be laughed at.

Bit few games coming up after the break.

1-2 April.

Man Utd v WBA
    Liverpool v Everton
    Arse v City
    Burnley v Spurs

You'd fully expect Liverpool to win the derby like they always do but of the two teams you could argue Everton are the more dangerous looking at the moment. Would be brilliant for Arsenal to get anything from the City game. City dropping points would have us right behind them if we can do our stuff. Burnley are a good side at home, in fact Burnley are 6th in the table on home games and Spurs are 6th on away games so it should be close.

4-5 April

Man Utd v Everton
    Liverpool v Bournemouth
    Swansea City v Spurs
    Chelsea v Man City
    Arse v WHU

Again Everton are a tough cookie but we need to be winning these home games to get up to 4th. Arsenal and City should both drop points here too. Liverpool and Spurs you'd expect to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ronaldo nor Messi would not tear you apart like V3ttel does

Why should "Arse" drop points to West Ham at home? That'd be seen as a surprise result surely.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Why should "Arse" drop points to West Ham at home? That'd be seen as a surprise result surely.

Maybe, I just see them as the type of team that Arsenal will really struggle with at the moment. West Ham's away form is actually very very good, much better than their home form so there's that too. The atmosphere at Arsenal could be completely toxic then too should Wenger announce he's staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jayop wrote: »
    West Brom at home really shouldn't be a tough game at all.

It shouldn't be but thats the reality of our season, which is going to be defined by those instances where we failed to put away teams that shouldn't have been a tough game at all. Even in winning yesterday you couldn't exactly describe us as "clinical", and as long as that continues we will be at risk of dropping points.

It shouldn't be but thats the reality of our season, which is going to be defined by those instances where we failed to put away teams that shouldn't have been a tough game at all. Even in winning yesterday you couldn't exactly describe us as "clinical", and as long as that continues we will be at risk of dropping points.

Absolutely. We've messed up so many easy games this season that you wouldn't call any game easy, but I'd rather be playing West Brom at home than many other sides.

v3ttel is my Hero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

The latest quotes from Antoine Greizmann don't sound too promising in terms of him signing this summer. Also the fact that Athletico have a transfer ban would look like they wont sell until Summer 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm just gonna put this out there, Smalling was not the main fault for their goal. He was wrong footed by a dropping ball when off balance, his was the last boo boo after the awful attempted clearances by Jones and Bailly which kept us under pressure and the ball bouncing around our 6yard box like a pinball.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement