Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

v3ttel wrote: »
    Correct on both counts.

Sevilla as Europa League winners did not play in the qualifying round for the Champions League. If United win the Europa League (still a big if), and if Leicster win the Champions League (a massive if with flashing red lights and bells on it), then the fourth place team in England would miss out on Champions League.

You can only have a maximum of 5 teams from any country.

How cruel would it be if Arsenal or Liverpool came 4th and that scenario played out denying them Champions League football.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"I had to adapt to a new world. To what young players are now.

"I had to understand the difference between working with a boy like Frank Lampard, who, at the age of 23 was already a man, who thought football, work, professionalism, and the new boys who at the age of 23 are kids.

"Today I call them 'boys' not 'men'. Because I think that they are brats and that everything that surrounds them does not help them in their life nor in my work.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/jose-mourinho-modern-football-brats-are-not-like-frank-lampard-at-23-a3495686.html

Wonder who our brats are?

• zerks wrote: »
    How cruel hilarious would it be if Arsenal or Liverpool came 4th and that scenario played out denying them Champions League football.:)
    fyp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »
    How cruel would it be if Arsenal or Liverpool came 4th and that scenario played out denying them Champions League football.:)

Rather the idea of us beating one to top four, and then winning he EL as well, meaning we took their CL spot when we didn't need it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

v3ttel wrote: »
    Correct on both counts.

Sevilla as Europa League winners did not play in the qualifying round for the Champions League. If United win the Europa League (still a big if), and if Leicster win the Champions League (a massive if with flashing red lights and bells on it), then the fourth place team in England would miss out on Champions League.

You can only have a maximum of 5 teams from any country.

Don't have time to check, but I've a feeling Sevilla not having to play in the qualifying rounds was something to do with Real Madrid winning the CL and finishing in an automatic qualification spot in the league also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

From Uefa re. where the winners of the Europa League enter the Champions League the following season

The Europa League title holders also enter directly into the group stage if either they or the Champions League title holders qualify for the group stage via their domestic leagues (if both teams qualify for the group stage via their domestic leagues, the champions of association 13 enter directly into the group stage).

Otherwise, the Europa League title holders enter directly the play-off round, with the route they enter depending on the Champions League title holders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

J. Marston wrote:
    Wonder who our brats are?

I could think of plenty of candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Don't have time to check, but I've a feeling Sevilla not having to play in the qualifying rounds was something to do with Real Madrid winning the CL and finishing in an automatic qualification spot in the league also.

I had a look at the last two years of Champions League qualifying rounds and Sevilla weren't in either year, but there is a bit more detail behind that.

I think The Doctor has it spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I recall in January not wanting to predict any outcome for the season until we'd played City. That stands for me.

That's a huge game for Utd's self esteem and for Mourinho.

It's worth remembering that Fergie played negatively against FCB in '08 and won the CL. He subsequently tried to play a more adventurous game in two finals and lost.

City don't have Messi but would you rather win ugly or lose in a style no one remembers anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Some one might clarify this for me, cos I googled it and the UEFA explanation is a little muddy.
    If we finish fifth and win EL, we qualify for the CL group stages and don't have to play qualifier?

Also, and I may well have read this wrong but..
    If we win EL and finish fifth and Leicester win CL (I know, I know) and don't finish top 4( which obviously they won't) the 4th placed team drops down to the EL.
    Cos, it would make all my Christmas' dreams come true if that happened.

It is still a bit unclear at the moment but as it stands.
    Untied will go into the group stage if the winners of this years champions league qualify for the group stage in their league performance.

As it stands if the following teams win the champions league Monaco, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, Real, Barca or Juve United will go into the group stage if they win the Europa league

If Leicester or Atlético Madrid win the champions league United will go into the play offs as nether of those are in a league spot that would get them to the group stage.

So on the 2nd point as it stands
    Chelsea, Spurs, Man City, & Leicester would be in the group stage and Man Utd in the play-offs with Liverpool & Arsenal in the group stage of the Europa League

• Advertisement

My understanding is that 5th place don't qualify for the CL soley on league position in any circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Korat wrote: »
    My understanding is that 5th place don't qualify for the CL in any circumstances.

... unless they win the EL or CL in the same season.

Mmm, ninja edit. :pac:

Nailz wrote: »
    ... unless they win the EL or CL in the same season.

Mmm, ninja edit. :pac:

You've gotta be quick to beat the snipers in the long grass around here. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

On this day

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR77SJIFW-I/

3 goals that would be up there in my top ten from recent times.

rrtm4lrx8vmy.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Jesus

Lord TSC wrote: »
    rrtm4lrx8vmy.png

Little scamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

He's only 28 ffs. I thought he would have been older.

Just looking at the goal stats for him in germany he's going pretty well. 26 in 40 last season and 12 in 32 this year.

I'd be happy out to have him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm sure he would love to be back sitting on the bench.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    On this day

3 goals that would be up there in my top ten from recent times.

Also, "on this day", 2 years ago...

LVG's United were really good that day in fairness.

stankratz wrote: »
    Also, "on this day", 2 years ago...

LVG's United were really good that day in fairness.

This thread was great craic that day infairness ;)

I'm sure he would love to be back sitting on the bench.

This is it. I'd adore him back as a second striker, but he left because that didnt suit him. Or at least, playing 5 minutes of a game we're being ultra-defensive in didn't suit...

Jose has mentioned him, by name, twice in the last few weeks as being a player he'd never have let go of, and this is the second time I've seen Hernandez retweeting stuff like this. Stuns me the press aren't all over this. Seen them run stories with less substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The heat map for Gerrard 2 years ago was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That was best game I ever saw Gerrard play. 2 good 5 yard passes and typical had be against us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So just Smalling starting from the English lads tonight. Hopefully Shaw gets some minutes anyways

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Hope Rashford is rested up and doesn't come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Nahh. He's had an easy season. Would like him to play every game till the end of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pheonix10 wrote: »

On

GSPfan wrote: »
    Nahh. He's had an easy season. Would like him to play every game till the end of season.

He actually hasn't he has played a decent amount of games and looked very tired lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

He actually hasn't he has played a decent amount of games and looked very tired lately.

No he hasn't. He barely played for the first two months of the season and he is in the team one week and out the next. He's looked out of form recently is all. If a 19 year old is tired after playing half a season then we are in serious trouble.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    The heat map for Gerrard 2 years ago was funny.

Since Jayo mentioned it and I had free time, I had a quick look back at the thread from that day. The heat map was a classic (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94787112&postcount=2415), but JaMarcusHustle channeling V3ttel channeling The Townie stole it for me...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94788587&postcount=2504

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Marca yesterday reported United are interested in signing Mbappe.
    Cope then reported United bid €80 million for Mbappe, before going back in with a €110 million bid, which they claim Monaco rejected.
    Sport Witness say this is unlikely, but could be using United to make out how hard it will be to sign Mbappe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Cope then reported United bid €80 million for Mbappe, before going back in with a €110 million bid, which they claim Monaco rejected.
    Sport Witness say this is unlikely, but could be using United to make out how hard it will be to sign Mbappe.

The morning's papers saying Wenger will stay for 2 seasons to help the transition to a new manager,(Moyes is doing up his CV) Ozil and Sanchez will be sold in an overhaul. I'd love to see Sanchez at United, a top player and a winner at heart.

100 percent believe he will end up with madrid and his fee will make martials look small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

100 percent believe he will end up with madrid and his fee will make martials look small.

Sure isn't Ronaldo his idol or something..

astradave wrote: »
    Sure isn't Ronaldo his idol or something..

He is a madrid fan read it a few weeks ago and his dad is his agent and has turned down a hoast of clubs to make sure his son gets decent game time to help him progress.

I can see him staying at Monaco for another year or so and then moving on to Madrid for mega money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

One of the clubs he had apparently turned down was Madrid as he did not think he was ready yet, but that is where he wants to end up himself by his own account.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

zerks wrote: »
    The morning's papers saying Wenger will stay for 2 seasons to help the transition to a new manager,(Moyes is doing up his CV) Ozil and Sanchez will be sold in an overhaul. I'd love to see Sanchez at United, a top player and a winner at heart.

My ideal signing this summer. I'd forego any defensive upgrades to the squad, if United could sign Sanchez. I'd play Ashley Young and Romero at centre-half next season, if he could be bought.

Not only is he a top talent with a winning mentality, but the craic I had with Arsenal fans when United signed RvP was great, so I'd love another rip at that. I'm a petty individual, I know. :D

Bringing in Sanchez would be some coup. It would be raining bitter tears around here.

I dont think Sanchez would have any intrest in joining us or another premier team. I think he is respectful enough to arsenal that he wouldn't stay in the country but then again I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Linked with willian and toby alderweild, would be 2 excellent signings

I dont think Sanchez would have any intrest in joining us or another premier team. I think he is respectful enough to arsenal that he wouldn't stay in the country but then again I could be wrong.

I never thought in a million years that RVP would ever join Utd or that we'd ever want him. But "..football, bloody hell", you just never know.:)

I never thought in a million years that RVP would ever join Utd or that we'd ever want him. But "..football, bloody hell", you just never know.:)

Yehh that's so true. I think rvp just wanted to play for an ambitious manager that wins things :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I see your point and maybe it is just daydreaming stuff, but then again I saw Sanchez laughing when Arsenal conceded their tenth goal (on aggregate, but feck it, it's still ten goals!) against Munich.

It has now got me thinking of the sequence of events which might lead to a Sanchez arrival, and they're not that unlikely.

Utd qualifying for the CL would be the predicate and after that if Arsenal don't or Wenger leaves or his agent doesn't get a birthday cake, it's game on. I'd be more optimistic about it if I had any faith in Ed Woodward as a negotiator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This is it. I'd adore him back as a second striker, but he left because that didnt suit him. Or at least, playing 5 minutes of a game we're being ultra-defensive in didn't suit...

Jose has mentioned him, by name, twice in the last few weeks as being a player he'd never have let go of, and this is the second time I've seen Hernandez retweeting stuff like this. Stuns me the press aren't all over this. Seen them run stories with less substance.

And yet he is so far and away the polar opposite of a striker Mourinho would use. He'd only be using him as an impact sub, or it would be a drastic change in tactics and Jose's methods to utilise a striker like that.

TheDoc wrote: »
    And yet he is so far and away the polar opposite of a striker Mourinho would use. He'd only be using him as an impact sub, or it would be a drastic change in tactics and Jose's methods to utilise a striker like that.

Eto'o?

Pete Moss wrote: »
    I see your point and maybe it is just daydreaming stuff, but then again I saw Sanchez laughing when Arsenal conceded their tenth goal (on aggregate, but feck it, it's still ten goals!) against Munich.

My problem is a write what I think without thinking :);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »

Maybe he'd be happy to be a rotation/sub player at a big club again - though it would be a massive departure from his previous attitude (at Madrid and United) from what I have been told elsewhere.

It is interesting - looks like Rooney will be gone in the summer and there are still question marks over Ibrahimovic. Leaving Martial and Rashford. Even if we were to sign a top level striker or forward there is still ample room for thinking a further striker/forward signing would be required - and a rotational/substitution one at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It has now got me thinking of the sequence of events which might lead to a Sanchez arrival, and they're not that unlikely.

Utd qualifying for the CL would be the predicate and after that if Arsenal don't or Wenger leaves or his agent doesn't get a birthday cake, it's game on. I'd be more optimistic about it if I had any faith in Ed Woodward as a negotiator.

I just don't think Arsenal sell to United and they/Sanchez would have more than enough options elsewhere. PSG, At. Madrid and Juve would be 3 teams I could see going for him.

You could point to the RVP signing to show we could sign him from Arsenal, but I think the RVP signing and fallout is just another reason why signing Sanchez simply won't happen.

As a wing forward, I could see us going for, and signing, Willian far more easily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement