Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

bangkok wrote: »
    Linked with willian and toby alderweild, would be 2 excellent signings

I'm still amazed he was signed for only £11.5m by Spurs. Arguably the best CB in the league, or at least the potential to become the best.

Considering the fees paid for many other CBs by top clubs - David Luiz, Otemendi, Mustafi. Sure even Daley Blind was signed for £13m. Nothing against Blind, but it's a no contest on the better business between him and Alderweireld

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

As a wing forward, I could see us going for, and signing, Willian far more easily.

I'm not a Willian fan myself. He'd cost a bomb and he'd be a modest upgrade on Lingard in my opinion. Better off finding ' a Willian' who isn't already at a high paying club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Arsenal should sell us Sanchez.

We sold them Wele so its only fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Korat wrote: »
    I'm not a Willian fan myself. He'd cost a bomb and he'd be a modest upgrade on Lingard in my opinion. Better off finding ' a Willian' who isn't already at a high paying club.

Under Mourinho I thought Willian was one of the more dependable players in the league. Quick, very hard working, good on the ball, good set piece delivery, versatile. the season they won the league under Mourinho he was a star of the league imo.

Also, I feel Mourinho had a great working relationship with Willian (and vice versa) and that would be a big reason behind any move for him too - a player Mourinho trusts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Can we still consider Martial a forward when he has barely, if even, played there in two years? He's a left winger for me, and at some stage, we need to remove him from the list at strikers....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Eto'o?

Played alongside Milito no? OR am I mixing up seasons again.

I just don't remember him playing as a sole striker, and I don't see from Mourinho's history, a poacher style striker leading the line for him, in a one striker setup

TheDoc wrote: »

I just don't remember him playing as a sole striker, and I don't see from Mourinho's history, a poacher style striker leading the line for him, in a one striker setup

I asked somewhere here (forum) about that when we got jose and was told Milto was mainly a striker and eto used on the wing i cant confirm it mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jose did say that "signing players from other EPL clubs would be difficult for United". Maybe it's a hint that there has been approaches behind the scenes for players already.

• Simeone on Greizmann today:

"That's what he told me [last year] – if you stay, I'll stay. And I said yes, why would I not stay? And they began to work with the representatives for everything that had to be signed. And he stayed.

"And from now on I do not know what can happen. He would never let me tell him to stay. I did not do it with [Diego] Costa or [Radamel] Falcao.

"To the players who have given me life I accompany them in the decisions that they make. But it is clear that for as long as he stays, the team and the club will continue to grow."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Can we still consider Martial a forward when he has barely, if even, played there in two years? He's a left winger for me, and at some stage, we need to remove him from the list at strikers....

to me we play 3 forwards, with Marital and Mata or Mkhitaryan or Lingard off Ibrahimovic. I certainly wouldn't see Martial as a left sided midfielder. Rashford has played the same position loads.

IMO we haven't used martial as a central striker, but I do think he is still a forward. Same way Sanchez has played as a left sided forward for Arsenal a lot, with Giroud up front. Sanchez is still considered a forward.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »

I think you're just the man to research that. :)

I do have some memory of, as Micksjaguar says, him being used as a winger rather that a focal point striker.

But that may just have been in certain games where his Inter side were trying to contain the opposition. A bit like when Fergie used Solskjaer or Rooney as a winger at times.

I think you're just the man to research that. :)

I do have some memory of, as Micksjaguar says, him being used as a winger rather that a focal point striker.

But that may just have been in certain games where his Inter side were trying to contain the opposition. A bit like when Fergie used Solskjaer or Rooney as a winger at times.

Ya I think Ive the champions league semi finals in mind for it against barcelona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I think if Sanchez goes to anyone it'll be Bayern, he's already played in Spain, Italy and England so maybe either Germany or France but I'd say he'd prefer Germany. Also, Robben and Ribery aren't getting any younger and Costa looks to be out of favour this season too so they could use a new winger.

Talking about past Mourinho teams there are some glaring vacancies in the current Utd squad for a commanding CB like Carvalho, Terry or Lucio and defensive midfielder like Makelele, Essien or Cambiasso.

Whether or not Mourinho sticks to a rigid blueprint they are areas that need to be fixed if Utd are going to challenge for the big trophies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

How are our injuries this season compared to the past seasons .

I remember Chelsea under Jose seem to get away with very little injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

How are our injuries this season compared to the past seasons .

I remember Chelsea under Jose seem to get away with very little injuries.

Very curious to see this. They are definitely massively reduced. Would love to see what methods he implements to stop this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

zerks wrote: »

Would instantly top my list of my most disliked United players ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    I think if Sanchez goes to anyone it'll be Bayern, he's already played in Spain, Italy and England so maybe either Germany or France but I'd say he'd prefer Germany. Also, Robben and Ribery aren't getting any younger and Costa looks to be out of favour this season too so they could use a new winger.

Do you see Bayern shelling out the transfer fee and wages it would take? I feel like they'd be the best fit for him, but they have nobody at the club even near 200k per week and he'll cost 50m even with his contract running out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ItsHoggie wrote: »

He played for Udinese in Italy... Why would that stop or disinterest him playing for Juve? I think he'll end up at PSG, Juve or Munich.

Never coming to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Very curious to see this. They are definitely massively reduced. Would love to see what methods he implements to stop this.

PED's :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

MEN sources have told them that the deal to sign Griezmann is nearly done and united will pay the release clause.

Also Diego Simeone says that Griezmann could leave in the summer because he has a release clause and he won't stand in his way.

So basically what we are looking at is Griezman to get another bumper new contract at athletico with a 150 million release clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jayo26 wrote: »
    MEN sources have told them that the deal to sign Griezmann is nearly done and united will pay the release clause.

Also Diego Simeone says that Griezmann could leave in the summer because he has a release clause and he won't stand in his way.

So basically what we are looking at is Griezman to get another bumper new contract at athletico with a 150 million release clause.

mmmmmwwwwahahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'd eat my new hat if we signed Griezmann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I just had a skim through the Liverpool vs United thread there having seen ye talking about the game earlier. Oh my what a pleasure that was reliving that game.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057397856

Jayop wrote: »
    I just had a skim through the Liverpool vs United thread there having seen ye talking about the game earlier. Oh my what a pleasure that was reliving that game.

Great day for the parish that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jayop wrote: »

Shadowcomplex was posting in there! Totally forgot about him.

Is it OK to criticize modding decisions made 3 years ago??

• Jayop wrote: »

Great thread, just read again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

J. Marston wrote: »
    Would instantly top my list of my most disliked United players ever.

Any particular reason? Just curious as he doesn't have a bad rep or anything as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Do you see Bayern shelling out the transfer fee and wages it would take? I feel like they'd be the best fit for him, but they have nobody at the club even near 200k per week and he'll cost 50m even with his contract running out.

If they offload one of Ribery, Costa or Robben they could easily afford him. They could even afford without getting rid of one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Also, I feel Mourinho had a great working relationship with Willian (and vice versa) and that would be a big reason behind any move for him too - a player Mourinho trusts.

This. I remember towards the end of José's time at Chelsea it seemed like Willian was the only player to make an effort, and that's something José will never forget. Whether Chelsea would still is a different question.

jayo26 wrote:

Remember to upload a video to YouTube of yourself eating the hat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

duffman13 wrote: »
    Any particular reason? Just curious as he doesn't have a bad rep or anything as far as I know
    He does, or should. Horrible little cheat...

He's at stuff like that in every single game he plays.

jayo26 wrote: »

Jayo's version of FutureGuy's "We are not signing...", I like it.

So Jayo, will Griezmann be arriving early in the window or will it get dragged out over the Summer?

This absolute belter showed up in my Facebook memories this morning.

CA4cXI7WEAAyWe3.jpg

• Advertisement

Ah memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah he's a horrible little cretin and I wouldn't want him anywhere near a United shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Eto'o?

Not sure I can envisage Hernandez as right winger/wing forward, working up and down the field.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

He surely does have a reputation, along with Busquets and Suarez.

I have really lost a lot of respect for Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

v3ttel wrote: »

I've never had any respect for them. On and off the field they are a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

NBC did something similar 2 years ago with Graeme Le Saux & Arlo White.
    Behind the Whistle it was called.
    Very good watch if you can find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Chris Smalling sent home from England squad with an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Chris Smalling sent home from England squad with an injury.

Not only does he injure Jones he injures himself

v3ttel wrote: »

I can't remember exactly where it was said that playing against Barca all that was heard was "players screaming at every little tackle". They are masters at it.

zerks wrote: »
    I can't remember exactly where it was said that playing against Barca all that was heard was "players screaming at every little tackle". They are masters at it.

No mas de una puta.

Aye, I loved the Barca of old but from the start of the Pep days they are for me the most unlikable club on the continent. Diving whingebags with a huge chip on their shoulder and claiming to be something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Rod Munch wrote: »
    No mas de una puta.

Now if I remember Narcos....

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Now if I remember Narcos....

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm not sure who disgusts me more, Barcelona players or Real Madrid fans.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement