Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I'm not sure who disgusts me more, Barcelona players or Real Madrid fans.

Madrid fans imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

I think Barcas holier than thou thing irks me the most.

The media lap it up too, More than a club etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

TheDoctor wrote: »
    I think Barcas holier than thou thing irks me the most.

The media lap it up too, More than a club etc

But I love barca fans Went to a game over there one time and it was one of the best atmospheres and craic ever and just an all round nice experience even if I was too high up to make out the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

the obsession is strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bur wrote: »
    the obsession is strong.

3211487.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

What a boring weekend. International week is shít.

I guess Coleman is off our radar now. Hope he recovers to the level he was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

GSPfan wrote: »
    International week is shít.

Id say Ronald Koeman agrees with you too. Terrible what happened to Seamus Coleman. He's at an age now where his career might not be able to absorb a very lengthy absence and recovery period after an injury like that.

He always comes across as a very down to earth lad, let's hope he can make a full recovery.

• Advertisement

I'm honestly gutted for him. He will recover but he'll miss a year of his career and he will struggle to get back to the same level if he even can.

I'm one of those people who hates slide tackling in all its forms as I think its a cowards tackle. I think it breaks up play way too much and ruins the flow of a game and at its worst it breaks legs and tears ligaments/tendons. I would honestly outlaw slide tackling. I think it would make the game better. There'd be less fouls and less injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'm honestly gutted for him. He will recover but he'll miss a year of his career and he will struggle to get back to the same level if he even can.

I'm one of those people who hates slide tackling in all its forms as I think its a cowards tackle. I think it breaks up play way too much and ruins the flow of a game and at its worst it breaks legs and tears ligaments/tendons. I would honestly outlaw slide tackling. I think it would make the game better. There'd be less fouls and less injuries.

you are wrong. So very ****ing wrong. No need to defend lads once the flow is right. A great slide tackle is a great thing to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

McClean's slide tackle on Bale was a thing of beauty.

Keeping your leg down and slide tackling without putting your studs up is an easy thing to do. It's timing it that's the hard part but without too much recklessness and height, a mistimed tackle still won't do too much damage.

It's terrible what happened to Coleman it was nasty challenge but to consider or banning sliding tackles is rash.

Look at the number of people that play the game and the number of tackles per game then compair that to the number of serious injuries and you will see that the chances of picking up a serious injury as a result of a tackle are tiny.

It's just when it happens on tv it's blown up.

I was on holidays last year and I remember watching Everton against Spurs I think, anyway, there was a perfectly fine slide tackle on Tom Cleverly but the trailing leg caught his standing foot and Cleverley ended up injured with ankle ligament damage.

Even the best tackles cause injury. A grown man of 80+ kilograms running at speed and throwing himself at another mans ankles is a recipe for injury.

A great slide tackle is a great thing to watch

I 100% agree with you there. But last nights tackle is disgusting to watch.

Everyone who has played competitive football knows the feeling when you want to smash someone. Slide tackling someone with that thought in your head is cowardly cause you know you are relatively safe when the other guy isn't.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Look at the number of people that play the game and the number of tackles per game then compair that to the number of serious injuries and you will see that the chances of picking up a serious injury as a result of a tackle are tiny.

It's just when it happens on tv it's blown up.

The fact it doesn't break legs every week is not a good argument for slide tackling. It injures people a lot. The degree of injury is the problem.

I also bet you know someone or of someone who broke their leg or ankle in a slide tackle in a Sunday morning amateur league game? I know I do, at least two come to mind. And they don't have the best doctors fixing them up so it mostly leads to guys not playing again. Its more of a problem at the lowest level than the top.

The fact it doesn't break legs every week is not a good argument for slide tackling. It injures people a lot. The degree of injury is the problem.

I also bet you know someone or of someone who broke their leg or ankle in a slide tackle in a Sunday morning amateur league game? I know I do, at least two come to mind. And they don't have the best doctors fixing them up so it mostly leads to guys not playing again. Its more of a problem at the lowest level than the top.

I also know people that were not able to walk properly for a month after playing golf or weren't able to work for months after kickboxing..... Do we ban them for swinging clubs or kicking people?

Slide tackling is part of football in is been apart of it for years of you bam it you take away a large part of the game.

I also know people that were not able to walk properly for a month after playing golf or weren't able to work for months after kickboxing..... Do we ban them for swinging clubs or kicking people?

Slide tackling is part of football in is been apart of it for years of you bam it you take away a large part of the game.

Those are two completely useless comparisons as one is a non contact sport and the other is a combat sport. Football is a contact sport and eliminating slide tackling would in my opinion improve the general game play and reduce serious leg breaks. Shoulder challenges and standing challenges would still exist. You just wouldn't be allowed throw yourself at someone elses ankles under the excuse of going for the ball.

Just because something has been around a long time it doesn't mean it shouldn't be questioned. Parents were allowed slap kids up until last year and that was changed. Its now illegal. You were allowed smoke indoors in public places up until a decade ago and that changed. Both those things have been happening longer than organised football and yet it changed.

Look I don't see slide tackling ever being outlawed but I would be delighted if it did. I understand why people love it but I hate it. I stopped playing football and took up mma as I love a physical sport. What I don't like is playing football and having the worry that the guy throwing himself at my feet is out to hurt me when I've no way to defend myself against it.

@jayo26 At least we have something to talk about today. :)

Just to be clear on something. I love a hard standing challenge. Watching James McClean run full pelt into a 50/50 is glorious as long as he doesn't slide in (leave his feet). I just hate the Taylor type challenges and also equally the Gareth Bale type challenge that happened seconds before Coleman broke his leg. Two cowardly challenges with mimimum to no risk for the tackler and serious risk to the player tackled.

Just to be clear on something. I love a hard standing challenge. Watching James McClean run full pelt into a 50/50 is glorious as long as he doesn't slide in (leave his feet). I just hate the Taylor type challenges and also equally the Gareth Bale type challenge that happened seconds before Coleman broke his leg. Two cowardly challenges with mimimum to no risk for the tackler and serious risk to the player tackled.

Them two challenges get are already banned and are fouls ;) I love tackling in the game sliding tackles are exciting and a great skill.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't even give the reckless lunge that Taylor put in the dignity of being called a tackle or slide tackle to be honest.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I wouldn't even give the reckless lunge that Taylor put in the dignity of being called a tackle or slide tackle to be honest.

Id actually say the same about Bales challenge, he had no intention of playing the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

A good slide tackle is a great art of the game. Maldini was absolutely masterful at it. Terry is another, which made up for his lack of pace. We're going overboard completely if we start banning slide tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

astradave wrote: »
    Id actually say the same about Bales challenge, he had no intention of playing the ball

Should check out his after match interview,he said JOS "kind of kicked me"

Should check out his after match interview,he said JOS "kind of kicked me"

I seen that. Himself and Chris Coleman let themselves down massively in their interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

What's worse is you know if roles were reversed, Jos would have seen red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Feel so bad for Coleman. Very honest player. No player deserves that but it seems especially so with Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Hococop wrote: »
    What's worse is you know if roles were reversed, Jos would have seen red

I said this at the game last night too. The ONLY reason Bale wasn't dismissed was because of the name in the back of the jersey.

I was chatting to a fella I know last night that refereed to a very high standard, as far as international level assistant, and he was singing the virtues of this fella before the game, saying he is amongst the most highly rated middle men in the game.

He was nothing short of shocking, to see an international referee bottling such a blatant red as Bale's should have been last night was not good.

Totally agree he didnt have the balls to handle a big name player if he had of sent off bale Coleman would be aging again next game he was in awe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

jayo26 wrote:
    17 year ago today wow

Great goal, crap jersey

titan18 wrote: »
    Great goal, crap jersey

I actually like It haha it wasn't the worst of them jerseys.

Apparently chicharito became Mexico's highest goalscorer over the weekend!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Apparently chicharito became Mexico's highest goalscorer over the weekend!

He tied Jared borgethi I think I heard???

He tied Jared borgethi I think I heard???

Yep 46 goals in 89 games for both of them

astradave wrote: »
    Yep 46 goals in 89 games for both of them

Thats crazy coincidence. He has some good scoring record. I'd reckon his minutes per goals for us is right Up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Thats crazy coincidence. He has some good scoring record. I'd reckon his minutes per goals for us is right Up there.

Someone get on the phone to Jose. Buy the little pea back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Nope. Never had an issue with Hernandez being sold. Wish him well, but we needed better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Nope. Never had an issue with Hernandez being sold. Wish him well, but we needed better than him.

Never had an issue with being sold either, would have been great to keep around if he was happy to be on the bench for 90% of games.

Fair play to him, he just wanted to play and seems like an admirable kind of lad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Al Capwned wrote: »

I'd welcome him back as a second striker, IF he was willing to play from the bench. There's been talks Jose wants two strikers in the upcoming window, and Hernandez would be a safer bet for a second striker than a lot.

Yeah, he struggled under LVG. Most attacking players did, and Hernandez often got the wrong end of the stick; constantly left till the 85th minute to come on, usually when we were sitting with 10 in the box defending. He thrived under Fergie as an impact sub, and I'd love to see what he could do with some of the chances Mata, Mkhi, Pogba and co could line up for him.

Of course, the issue is he left for first team football and he'd not be a lead striker for us if he came back. But if he wanted to return as the back up striker, I'd be over the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Does anyone think we will be getting Lukaku? Seems he is on his way and bookies have us and Chelsea very close...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Does anyone think we will be getting Lukaku? Seems he is on his way and bookies have us and Chelsea very close...

I think he is a more likely target for us than Greizmann anyway but I'd imagine CL qualification (if we don't get it) would be a deal breaker.

Unless Costa is leaving Chelsea it's hard to see where he would fit into the team though.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I think he is a more likely target for us than Greizmann anyway but I'd imagine CL qualification (if we don't get it) would be a deal breaker.

Unless Costa is leaving Chelsea it's hard to see where he would fit into the team though.

Griezman to united

Costa to madrid

Lukaku to chelsea

Simple problem solved.

Griezman to united

Costa to madrid

Lukaku to chelsea

Simple problem solved.

Rooney to everton ;)

Rooney to everton ;)

Oh yes how did I miss that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rod Munch wrote: »

I would imagine our set of targets change drastically based on CL or not :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Highly likely Rashford wouldn't have had his explosive start to his united career if Hernandez was still in the squad. He'd possibly be still on the fringes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Just watched this interview with the Neville brothers. Maybe it has been put up here before. Thought it was very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mahg1Bq8k94

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I would imagine our set of targets change drastically based on CL or not :/

I wouldn't be so sure about that tbh.

It would be a consideration I think for the likes of Lukaka or Griezmann but we got all our top targets last summer without it.

The lure of José, playing for United and of course a nice wage will be as important if not more so for a lot of players.

The CL just happens to be a kind of cherry on top for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement