Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Rashford on now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The lottery for Europa league final tickets closes in a couple of days. Risky business as we mightn't get there but not as risky for me as I live in Stockholm. :D

https://europaleague.tickets.uefa.com/lottery/welcome_en.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Saying we got all our top targets last year is not necessarily true if we really did bid €85 million for Muller. I think the one thing I will give Jose credit for is not wasting time on players who aren't gonna come to us.

In my opinion we are definitely going to be effected by CL qualification as it rules out a lot of players, like it or not.

I'll give one example... Alexis Sanchez.

Some words from Jesse about his dancing, goal celebrations and lust for life.
    Life's a riot for Jesse Lingard.

The Manchester United attacker plays his football with a smile – and who can blame him after scoring Wembley wonder-goals that have helped the Reds win the FA Cup, EFL Cup and Community Shield over the last two seasons.

When United’s team coach came under attack from hooligan West Ham fans last year, Lingard’s first instinct was to post a video of the bombardment on Snapchat.

This season his Snapchat friends got to see him perform a dance routine with £89million team-mate Paul Pogba. Former United defender Rio Ferdinand felt it was a sign that the 24-year-old doesn’t quite care enough.

But talking to Lingard at England’s hotel in Hertfordshire this week, that couldn’t be further from the truth.
    Lingard said: “Fun plays a massive part in anyone’s life. At least it should do.

“Not everyone is going to like everything you do, but I’m the type of guy that’s always having a joke and messing around – apart from when it comes to the serious stuff.

“I know when my head has to be on the game. You train hard all week, but in your downtime you should be able to relax with your friends and have some fun.

“People pick up on it and are quick to judge, but I’ve always felt that you can’t really judge anyone unless you speak to them face to face or meet them in real life.

“I spoke to Rio about what he said. We had a discussion about it and we’re fine. I’m just a happy-go-lucky person who does things that make me happy.”

Lingard’s attitude belies a naturally nervous disposition. Some of his early United performances were paralysed by tension. But his sensational strike against Crystal Palace to win the FA Cup was a turning point and he has followed that up with goals against Leicester in the Community Shield and Southampton in the EFL Final.

“It was that Leicester game,” said Lingard. “That was the game when it all started to feel normal.

“Last year was a great experience, you know, under Louis Van Gaal. He gave me the confidence to go and play.

“Going away with England always gives you a boost as well, representing your country and being with the country’s elite players.”

So what possessed Lingard to pick up his phone to film West Ham’s misbehaving fans at Upton Park last season when the rest of his team-mates dived for cover?

He said: “I could see it all happening and the first thing I did was pull my phone out and start recording.

“It’s just another memory slid in the bank I guess. It was on my private Snapchat, to be fair, and it shouldn’t really have got out.

“One of my friends must have snaked me out and took the video without my knowing. But these things happen and I have still the footage from that day. It is just memories.”

Lingard added: “As for the dancing and the goal celebrations, it’s all natural. Mum can dance, dad can dance and my brother owns a dance school in Greece. I don’t go out of my way to practice or anything like that.

“And the important thing is that as soon as I get on the pitch it is all about hard work. I know I have to concentrate on winning.”
    Yeah the thing on the bus at West Ham was unnecessary and hopefully a lesson learned, but as far as I'm concerned he can dance, dab and snapchat away once that bolded last sentence above remains true. Is the social media stuff my own cup of tea? Not really, but so what? A sense of humour and a positive outlook are my kinda things though.

Good to hear that although Jesse is aware that there are fans who aren't fond of his 'antics', he will remain true to himself and his outlook on life anyway.

Likewise with Rio, I hope Jesse told him that he respects him as a United legend, a legend of the English game and welcomes his footballing advice, but it wasn't Rio's place to do that. Of all players, Rio should know that clownish behaviour on social media is not equal to clownish behaviour on-field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Never had a problem with jessie and his posts apart from the one on the bus and I made that clear here I thought it was totally out of taste but he is young.

Anything else he does or pogba does in their free time I don't care they are a younger generation I won't even try understand them and Im fine with that.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Saying we got all our top targets last year is not necessarily true if we really did bid €85 million for Muller. I think the one thing I will give Jose credit for is not wasting time on players who aren't gonna come to us.

In my opinion we are definitely going to be effected by CL qualification as it rules out a lot of players, like it or not.

I'll give one example... Alexis Sanchez.

Muller? Really? Missed that one myself, seriously. I remember us being linked with him in the Summers when LVG was there, but I missed the talk of him last Summer.

I thought there was a common thought that Jose had 4 targets last Summer and he got them, and it was a good window for the club. The Pogba transfer did drag on a bit, but I thought last Summer's business was (Pogba excepted) quick, clean and done nearly under cover of darkness.

Just giving credit to Mourinho for one thing last Summer in an apparent reluctant manner is harsh I think.

I think at most Muller was an enquiry I don't think there is anything more that went on.

Jose deserves a lot of credit for transfers and team spirit and tactics.

Maybe he deserves some criticism for terrible shot conversion rate but ill hold judgement on that until next year.

Any word on smalling injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looks like Bakayoko is off our shopping list.

https://twitter.com/br_uk/status/846078939890171904

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

zerks wrote: »

Is that a decent source?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would he not be very similar to Kante for them?

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    Muller? Really? Missed that one myself, seriously. I remember us being linked with him in the Summers when LVG was there, but I missed the talk of him last Summer.

I thought there was a common thought that Jose had 4 targets last Summer and he got them, and it was a good window for the club. The Pogba transfer did drag on a bit, but I thought last Summer's business was (Pogba excepted) quick, clean and done nearly under cover of darkness.

Just giving credit to Mourinho for one thing last Summer in an apparent reluctant manner is harsh I think.

One of the Bayern directors or something like that said we were after Muller. Google it, it wasn't too long ago.

You are correct about us having 4 targets and going after them and getting them. Yes that happened but you are missing the point that before those 4 players were targetted there could have been a list of options dismissed at an initial enquiry..... like Thomas Muller!

On the last point, I am a big fan and defender of Jose on here. I probably didn't word it correctly when I said "one thing". I meant that it's one unarguable thing that he does right. We can all have opinions about 6 at the back but his transfer policy is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Would he not be very similar to Kante for them?

a better player than matic is what he is

I'm in bangkoks gang on this one, I'd rather Fabinho. I think watching Bakayoko recently I think he's more similar to Pogba but a level below in terms of quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Mourinho might go in for Matic if they sign him

Never wanted him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Mourinho might go in for Matic if they sign him

fellaini is as good as matic, wouldnt want him near us

bangkok wrote: »
    fellaini is as good as matic, wouldnt want him near us

Ha. Imagine your head if we sign Matic and he lines up with Fellaini.

I'd be so underwhelmed with Matic. Chelsea can keep him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

GSPfan wrote:
    I'd be so underwhelmed with Matic. Chelsea can keep him.

Wasn't he one of the ones that downed tools for Jose anyway? Had a terrible season when Jose got sacked after looking incredible business before that. I remember him coming on as a sub, and being subbed off too.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Wasn't he one of the ones that downed tools for Jose anyway? Had a terrible season when Jose got sacked after looking incredible business before that. I remember him coming on as a sub, and being subbed off too.

Yep. Hopefully Willian is the only player off them we are interested in. I'd take him no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    Never wanted him anyway.

I did and I'm not afraid to admit it.. no where near the same player as Pogba.. would be a ready made r3placement for Carrick..

Article seems to have gone from Tutto's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't think the source for the Bakayoko story is the most reliable.

Di Marzio: "Mourinho is bewitched by Mbappe".

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/846105762346741760

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Di Marzio is usually a reliable source and I'd LOVE Mbappe at the club but I think anything at March is hogwash until the summer.

I would rather not sign Mbappe. I think he is great for a counter attacking team or against teams that play a high line but we play against the bus every other week and we are too slow in our build up.

I have been against Lukaku in the past but this season is convincing me he is our man. And he'd be half the price of Mbappe. I'd say Lukaku is a £55 million man at this stage.

Lukaku with Martial, Griezmann, and Mkhitaryan behind him would be ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I've had my fill of flavour of the month, next big thing youngsters for the time being, Jose doesn't have time for another high priced kid to settle in, we have quite enough of them as it is.

Experienced, proven quality players this summer please, we have title challenges to be getting on with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I've had my fill of flavour of the month, next big thing youngsters for the time being, Jose doesn't have time for another high priced kid to settle in, we have quite enough of them as it is.

Experienced, proven quality players this summer please, we have title challenges to be getting on with.
    This 100%

Sport in Spain has United ready to bid for Neymar.

https://twitter.com/sport/status/846130861393285121

Saying United are prepared to offer Barcelona €200 million for him and pay Neymar €25 million a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sport in Spain has United ready to bid for Neymar.

https://twitter.com/sport/status/846130861393285121

Saying United are prepared to offer Barcelona €200 million for him and pay Neymar €25 million a year.

Someone wants a new contract it seems

Headshot wrote: »
    Someone wants a new contract it seems

He signed a new one last October.

Here is what the Diario Sport article says, via Google translation:

Manchester United is crazy about signing Neymar. The British team has been in contact with the Barça player through their representatives with the idea of ​​tempting him with an economic and sports proposal that he can not refuse. Taking advantage of its vast economic potential, the club is already looking to reinforce itself for next season and wants Neymar to become the team's new flag. A real threat looms over FC Barcelona. The trident is in serious danger.

José Mourinho, coach of the team, is the one who orchestrates the operation and who speaks directly to the Brazilian player. Phone calls are regular to convince him that leaving the FC Barcelona and go to Manchester United would be a step forward in his sports career because it would allow him to grow without having to live in the shadow of Messi.

To help convince him, Manchester United has promised the player that in summer will knock on the door of Barcelona to pay the termination clause of his contract that is 200 million euros. Nothing to negotiate a rebate. The 200 million hit. The English club, who has already paid 120 for Pogba, is ready to throw the house out the window and beat his own record of transfer.

In the last hours has also come the possibility that Chelsea try to hire the club but Abramovic club does not intend to go as far as Manchester. Chelsea do not think to pay the clause, Manchester yes.

Manchester United, in addition, proposes to the player a dream contract. United offers a net salary of 25 million euros per season. This is a significant increase because he also doubles his current salary at FC Barcelona after the recent renovation signed last October. With 25, he would be the highest-paid player in the Premier League.

ATTENTION TO THE SPORT OPTION

Manchester plays strong but has some mole for this idea to materialize. For many millions put on the table, the player doubts about the possibility of leaving Barcelona because here is happy.

And then there is the sporting situation of United because it is on track to not qualify for the Champions League. It would only win if it wins the Europa League, title that gives access to the maximum competition and to the Supercopa of Europe. Mourinho gives away the options to qualify with the fourth port of the Premier and aspires to the continental title that gives him access between the greats. For Neymar, it would be very different to be in the Champions League or not.

United have the need to access the Champions League because if it fails, it would lose 30% of the deal with Adidas, which is 94 million euros. Manchester have the commercial need to reach the Champions League and to offer there a good performance. That's why he looks for a star like Ney. The Barça must take it into account.

• Advertisement

Anyone else read that article with a foreign accent in their head.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The pressure of being a 200 million player could crush a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We have more money then sense if thats true, and while I think we are after him, that money won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would absolutely love us to sign Neymar - but at that type of money I'd be very concerned that it would be at expense of signing the defenders or central midfielders we need, imo.

United's instagram page is getting really cheeky these days
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BSIoMtZlVi5/
    Monday motivation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

jayo26 wrote: »
    Anyone else read that article with a foreign accent in their head.?

Nope.
    I read it with a smell of bullsh1t in my nostrils though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Jayop wrote: »
    The pressure of being a 200 million player could crush a man.

True, could also f up the club at the same time.
    • For as rich as United are, €200m/£175m is an insane outlay on one player. That would probably cover Greizman, Lukaku and a FB.
    • He suddenly becomes the clubs top earner at around half a million € a week, suddenly all the other top earners are way behind so will be looking for a huge increase next contract negotiation.
    • We don't have a great track record with S.Americans, no guarantee he would settle - pressure of the fee as Jayop said, weather & living in Manchester, adapting to a more intense league.
    • No way he would sign without champions league football and equally United paying that considering the drop in revenue for not making the CL.
    • IF and it's a big if, there is any truth in it, I don't see him as a Mourinho signing, more of a Woodward "galactico" for commercial impact, so that could cause friction a'la Shevchenko at Chelsea.
    If we buy Neymar, there is still 150m+ needed to improve the squad the way Mourinho wants and has been suggestion for months now- that would be close to 300m spent in one window, can't see it happening.
    I maybe could see a signing like that happening next year, if Jose gets the team he wants to build more or less settled after this window and next season, he may decide he wants a mega-signing. And that is still a big maybe.

Nope.
    I read it with a smell of bullsh1t in my nostrils though

Of course it is sure it's international break id give them numbers about 2% chance of happening.

200 million transfer plus another 125 million over 5 years no player is going to sell over 300 million in sponsorship unless Edward Woodward has found life on another planet and we have already expand into it.

Hazard on the front page of Marca,I think there's gonna be a huge financial merry go round this Summer.
    Neymar to United might not be as far fetched as we think. No matter what Neymar does for Barca he's always in the shadow of Messi over there.Mundo Deportivo always make the match reports about Messi even if Neymar has a stormer.We all know his power at the club and does not want that threatened, Neymar is the threat,talented and marketable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Hazard on the front page of Marca,I think there's gonna be a huge financial merry go round this Summer.
    Neymar to United might not be as far fetched as we think. No matter what Neymar does for Barca he's always in the shadow of Messi over there.Mundo Deportivo always make the match reports about Messi even if Neymar has a stormer.We all know his power at the club and does not want that threatened, Neymar is the threat,talented and marketable.

Even taking all that into account it makes more sense for him to wait it out another 3-4 years till Messi regresses to a point of irrelevance.

He wont leave Barca until he's no use to them anymore.

• Advertisement

• beno619 wrote: »
    Even taking all that into account it makes more sense for him to wait it out another 3-4 years till Messi regresses to a point of irrelevance.

I'd have a feeling that might take more than 3-4 years but yes I get your point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Would absolutely love us to sign Neymar - but at that type of money I'd be very concerned that it would be at expense of signing the defenders or central midfielders we need, imo.

And yet potentially two seasons in a row, we will have one of the best defences in the league. When you look at the players individually you can't but assume we can do better. But maybe we are underestimating them as a cohesive unit, and at the end of the day thats the most important thing.

I can see a new CB coming in alright, I think Smalling is playing himself out of the club at this stage, he has been pretty poor. Neymar would be an incredible player to add on our left flank. And we need goals in this team, he could certainly bring it along with Ibra and Mhiki, who I'm expecting much more from next season in terms of goals and assists.

The mbappe stuff I kind of don't get. We only bought Monaco's prodigy striker two seasons ago, and after a good first season have casted him aside to play on the left side. I just don't get this sort of stuff. Martial as feared, is now just being seen as a left sided player, as with Blind cast as a LB when he is a wonderful CM. 4-3-3 is basically a "fake" formattion to fit in strikers into a position where they "believe" they still play up front. Buying Mbappe for monster money, Jose would only push out to a wing as he clearly doen't trust young players up front, and needs/wants a specific profile of striker leading the line.

I'd prefer if Martial started to get some chances playing up front as opposed to getting this rough shot treatment from Mourinho. Been of the opinion Martial has the ability to be a top striker, while Rashford would actually develop into a top inside forward. Rashford doesn't look to me like someone who will lead the line for a club our size, but would definitely be a terrific wide player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

beno619 wrote: »

From watching a fair bit of Real and Barca this season, there is an argument Neymar is already starting to become the talisman. There will be general acceptance Messi, being Messi, is the main man, but Neymar has really taken to Spanish football and this season has really stepped up in some big games, and chipped in when Messi or Suarez were flagging badly.

I'm sure a player of his calibre would take to England fine, but Neymar is as petulant as players can get, loves a dive and is a bit of a filthy player and easily get's tilted. It's something that in the grand scheme of things isn't important if he delivers, but he'd quickly go the way of Memphis to fans if he didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm sure a player of his calibre would take to England fine, but Neymar is as petulant as players can get, loves a dive and is a bit of a filthy player and easily get's tilted. It's something that in the grand scheme of things isn't important if he delivers, but he'd quickly go the way of Memphis to fans if he didn't.

He's on a completely different stratosphere to Memphis as far as pure ability though.

A bona fide match winner, I have no doubt he'd light up the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

TheDoc wrote: »
    From watching a fair bit of Real and Barca this season, there is an argument Neymar is already starting to become the talisman. There will be general acceptance Messi, being Messi, is the main man, but Neymar has really taken to Spanish football and this season has really stepped up in some big games, and chipped in when Messi or Suarez were flagging badly.

Yeah I haven't seen much of them in the league this year but a few weeks ago when Barca were almost out to PSG, in the last 7/8 minutes of that game it was Neymar who dragged them across the line. He was most certainly the main man that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I am completely opposed to spending these insane amounts of money on any one player, no matter who it is.

If you could guarantee the required level of performances from the player once he arrived then maybe you could justify it, but as we know first hand you can't do that, there are no guarantees and football is littered with expensive players who never recreated world class form at their new clubs. What happens when your €200 million Brazilian superstar has his house broken into, doesn't like Manchester and decides he wants to move to Paris?

And there is the injury factor, as we know a broken leg is only ever a bad tackle away, and while that is a risk for any player at any price it is still a valid reason not to put €200m of eggs into one basket.

It wont be £200m so nothing to worry about

If FM has taught me anything, its that we're bidding 200m to pay over 5 years, so no biggy :P

I don't think it will happen, but I am interested to see what our "warchest" will be this summer. You'd imagine we're going to see the shifting of an insane amount of wages; Bastian was apparently on 200k a week, Rooney is likely gone with his 250k a week. I wouldn't be shocked if Ibra decided to move on too. Depending on what sales happen, if we get back into CL football....I could see Jose spending an absolute fortune this summer.

I be shocked if we spent more then £100m this summer.

We should get 2 or 3 players in. Of course it depends who leaves too. Can see max of 4 players coming though

• Advertisement

I be shocked if we spent more then £100m this summer.

We should get 2 or 3 players in. Of course it depends who leaves too. Can see max of 4 players coming though

Really? I'd imagine, be it Griezzman or Lukaku or someone else, we'll clear 60m on a striker alone. I'd say we'll clear 150m without blinking...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement