Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Martial didn't contribute a whole lot either, he got a few crosses in but like Valencia the crosses were all met by a West Brom defender an no one else following the attack in to meet any deflections. The lack of creativity was shocking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Jayop wrote: »
    I said before the game that our forwards getting the ball and taking their men on was the tactic. We'd have had less possession but so what West Brom weren't going to score.

Every time one of them did take a man on we created something but it only happened about 5 times in the whole game. Why would you just cross it in with no chance of winning the headers?

Honestly don't understand the tactics in that game.

because 45 minutes of "probing" delivered SFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

No hope of 4th now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Really disappointing, probably the fifth "must win" home game and we've blown it again. Won't be a surprise to miss out on top 4. Europa is looking like the best shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Its been attackers v defenders in most of our home games this season and most of the time the attackers have lost.

Jose will surely be making note of this for when the transfer window opens. Lingard, Martial and Rashford could be getting a lot less game time next season on the back of this season when they havent really taken their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Martial didn't contribute a whole lot either, he got a few crosses in but like Valencia the crosses were all met by a West Brom defender an no one else following the attack in to meet any deflections. The lack of creativity was shocking!

We made chances, but when players aren't going to make runs to the near post from Lingard's cross for a tap in and not following in Fellaini's header to the back post, then who have you got to blame.

My biggest complaint is that we simply are far to easy to defend against. Once a team gets us to half time 0-0 we look cluesless in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

ParkRunner wrote: »

Honestly I'm getting fed up with him at this stage. So disappointing. He looked like he was going to be a superstar but has looked halved arsed at times this season. Even today he seemed to choose when he'd bother his hole.

Jose has a lot of thinking to do for the summer.

edgecutter wrote: »
    We made chances, but when players aren't going to make runs to the near post from Lingard's cross for a tap in and not following in Fellaini's header to the back post, then who have you got to blame.

My biggest complaint is that we simply are far to easy to defend against. Once a team gets us to half time 0-0 we look cluesless in the second half.

The thing is, if a team is organised and sits deep, we try to play our way around them and we don't have the skill or imagination to do it. What's needed is for players to commit the defenders, take them on and then draw out other players disrupting the shape and making space, which leads to chances. We rarely did that today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

We definitely are still with a shout of top 4 even with today being ****. It's not like we are 10 points off it. Far from it.

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    We definitely are still with a shout of top 4 even with today being ****. It's not like we are 10 points off it. Far from it.

We are in with a shout of course but all the evedince suggests that we won't make up the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Games are getting harder and with commitments in the Europa league we need to guarantee 3 points against the likes of WBA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Didn't see the game, not surprised with the result though.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

This game was always going to be a nil all. The Everton one probably will be too.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Games are getting harder and with commitments in the Europa league we need to guarantee 3 points against the likes of WBA.

I'll be surprised if we win the Europa league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

adox wrote: »
    Honestly I'm getting fed up with him at this stage. So disappointing. He looked like he was going to be a superstar but has looked halved arsed at times this season. Even today he seemed to choose when he'd bother his hole.

Have been saying that for a while.

There was a lot of players today who need big games, and keep underpreforming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

does far too much complaining. there was one stage today where someone gave him a wayward pass. instead of attempting to get to the ball, he just stood there, hands on hips moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

That was awful. We were badly missing a spark up front and its pathetic that we have to rely on a 35 year old to score goals. If I was Greizmann watching that I would be in no way thinking of moving to the club especially if we don't wont the EL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Not acceptable. Mourinio needs to be questioned. Any decent defensive​ side can grab a handy point of us.

Our defense is shocking. We have no width and no creativity in midfield​. We are hard to beat because we control possession without doing anything with it . Only for Zlatan we would be knowwhere . We live of scraps.

Very disappointing season. We should be challenging for the title not missing out on fourth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Interviewer roasted by Mourinho, the guy needs to grow a pair of balls instead of taking that sh1te, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A draw tomorrow in the City/Arsenal game will mean not much has really changed.

• adox wrote: »
    We certainly didn't miss Pogba. He's been involved in numerous games like this.

Would he have created more chances for the team? The stats seem to suggest so.
    Again the issue of finishing should be more laid at the forwards feet
    Martial has been ****e all season and doesn't get enough criticism
    Rashfords finishing alot to be desired also

RobertKK wrote: »
    A draw tomorrow in the City/Arsenal game will mean not much has really changed.

Apart from Liverpool gaining two points on us and us continuing to draw home games.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Would he have created more chances for the team? The stats seem to suggest so.
    Again the issue of finishing should be more laid at the forwards feet
    Martial has been ****e all season and doesn't get enough criticism
    Rashfords finishing alot to be desired also

I criticised both today.

I honestly don't think Pogba would have made a difference today. It was the sort of game that swallows him up.

• adox wrote: »
    I criticised both today.

I honestly don't think Pogba would have made a difference today. It was the sort of game that swallows him up.

O I wasn't having a go, I know you have.
    But from reading the match thread and from Today FM, Utd only created 3 chances the whole game?
    For what it's worth I'd say Pogba would have easily increased that number
    The finishing is what it has been all season however

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    O I wasn't having a go, I know you have.
    But from reading the match thread and from Today FM, Utd only created 3 chances the whole game?
    For what it's worth I'd say Pogba would have easily increased that number
    The finishing is what it has been all season however

With the exception of Mkhi, it was the same offensive line up that struggled to score last year.

Thats not defending tactics, or whatever. But I really feel our entire attacking lineup needs rebuilding. Martial has been poor all season (and a chunk of last season near the end too), Rooney is on his last legs, Rashford is NOT ready to lead the line. Young has barely played all season for a reason. Valencia is working hard as a defender but simply is poor in creating chances, despite how much of the ball gets.

We really, really need a rebuild of the attacking unit this summer.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    With the exception of Mkhi, it was the same offensive line up that struggled to score last year.

Thats not defending tactics, or whatever. But I really feel our entire attacking lineup needs rebuilding. Martial has been poor all season (and a chunk of last season near the end too), Rooney is on his last legs, Rashford is NOT ready to lead the line. Young has barely played all season for a reason. Valencia is working hard as a defender but simply is poor in creating chances, despite how much of the ball gets.

We really, really need a rebuild of the attacking unit this summer.

And the midfield needs work and the full back positions.

I really hope Jose isn't going to settle for this and just make a couple of additions.

And the midfield needs work and the full back positions.

I really hope Jose isn't going to settle for this and just make a couple of additions.

Yeah. I've said for a few months now, I think the squad needs a gutting this summer. I 100% understood why we didn't do it last summer or at Xmas, but no excuses this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Jose in the press conference said Ibrahimovic and Mata have more goals than Rashford, Mkhitaryan, Lingard and Martial.

He says United does not have consistency in front of goal and the situation is even worse when Ibrahimovic and Mata are not playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rashford has great potential but he has a lot to learn.

He was up front on his own and constantly drifted to the left leaving nobody in the box.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/devils_latest/status/848214031823458304

"De Gea was sleeping. That's why he made that funny thing. I was laughing" :pac:

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Rashford has great potential but he has a lot to learn.

He was up front on his own and constantly drifted to the left leaving nobody in the box.

I have started to feel that if Fergie were here, Rashford would have been loaned out by now, ala Welbeck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lol,clicked on the last couple of pages of the match thread and like clockwork the usual suspects appear.

In fairness to WBA they were so well drilled at the back and we had virtually a 6 man front line seeing as Young and Val played so far forward but the delivery from those 2 was woeful,the final pass from the others wasn't a whole lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Its all on the Europa league imo

Hococop wrote: »
    Its all on the Europa league imo

At least that's a knockout competition, somebody has to win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

RobertKK wrote: »
    Jose in the press conference said Ibrahimovic and Mata have more goals than Rashford, Mkhitaryan, Lingard and Martial.

He says United does not have consistency in front of goal and the situation is even worse when Ibrahimovic and Mata are not playing.

but Ibrahimovic plays every minute so where they develop that consistency is....? And it'll be the same next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Don't know about you guys but I barely registered an emotion at that game. Knew by halftime it was on for a draw. Been saying for a few weeks now its EL for CL qualification so the league draws are no longer bothering me as they did up to now. Its expected.

Pogba, Zlatan,Rooney and the rest who didn't play the 90 today were doing a full training session after the game.Time counts now especially as we play Everton Tues evening..... What's the bets they won't lie down the way they did at Anfield today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

GSPfan wrote: »
    Don't know about you guys but I barely registered an emotion at that game. Knew by halftime it was on for a draw. Been saying for a few weeks now its EL for CL qualification so the league draws are no longer bothering me as they did up to now. Its expected.

Same normally I'd be seething but now I've just accepted it :(

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    but Ibrahimovic plays every minute so where they develop that consistency is....? And it'll be the same next season.

Vicious cycle, really. When they get chances, they don't take them. Is there any team who, when desperate for wins, will drop their star player who bangs in goals to give squad players a chance? Reality is backup players need to be ready to step up, and ours never do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

Mourinho should send Rashford on loan. If Everton lose Lukaku there would be no harm in him going their

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I have started to feel that if Fergie were here, Rashford would have been loaned out by now, ala Welbeck...

Fergie actually cared about player's development. Mourinho is only concerned with himself and the here and now.

Fergie actually cared about player's development. Mourinho is only concerned with himself and the here and now.

Ah here. In fairness, had Jose came in and sent Rashford on loan before now, the fans would have been giving out all levels of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

zerks wrote: »
    Pogba, Zlatan,Rooney and the rest who didn't play the 90 today were doing a full training session after the game.Time counts now especially as we play Everton Tues evening..... What's the bets they won't lie down the way they did at Anfield today.

Love it the excuses starting all ready for the next match. Do you really think Everton just lies down for there city rivals Liverpool

Love it the excuses starting all ready for the next match. Do you really think Everton just lies down for there city rivals Liverpool

Their record there suggests so and I watched the under 10's standard of defending today from them.They'll most likely play like men possessed on Tuesday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

zerks wrote: »

Their record there suggests so and I watched the under 10's standard of defending today from them.They'll most likely play like men possessed on Tuesday night.
    So let me get this straight you think Everton played like today because they like Liverpool and play like a team possessed because they hate Its? Really seriously like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It is ridiculous how much criticism the players get and how little Jose gets.

So far this season our tactical set-up in the final third has been completely tied to having a big CF, with the attacking midfielders working off that. Jose didn't get a back-up for Ibra sorted (either by finding another player from the squad who could work in that role, or by bringing in another striker) and when he is out we have no similar replacement when facing West Brom - one of the most physically imposing, deep sitting defences you are likely to meet.

It's not like the attacking tactics have been particularly good this season - "all right, but not amazing" would maybe be a fair description of them. And then we face West Brom without our big CF and we still end up crossing the ball a lot, just like we have been doing all season. That is absolutely on the manager.

Early on in the season Rooney was being blaimed for the attacking short comings. Then Ibra got it for a while because he missed a few chances. Then Martial for not doing enough. Then Valencia for his crossing. Then Pogba for not doing central midfielder things. Now it's Mata, Mkhitaryan and Rashford for not stepping up. And these continuous scapegoating exercises - moving from one player to the next and the next as soon each new option doesn't prove to be the answer - still haven't caused a re-evaluation. It has now become "the attack needs to be gutted." There have been eight jaysus players that have been blaimed for the attacking problems rather than looking at other possible explanations. Get a grip lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Sounds like it's going to get very heated in here soon. Think i'll bow out till tomorrow when City or Arsenal lose points and we make ourselves believe it's all still in our hands! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Pro. F wrote: »
    It is ridiculous how much criticism the players get and how little Jose gets.

So far this season our tactical set-up in the final third has been completely tied to having a big CF, with the attacking midfielders working off that. Jose didn't get a back-up for Ibra sorted (either by finding another player from the squad who could work in that role, or by bringing in another striker) and when he is out we have no similar replacement when facing West Brom - one of the most physically imposing, deep sitting defences you are likely to meet.

It's not like the attacking tactics have been particularly good this season - "all right, but not amazing" would maybe be a fair description of them. And then we face West Brom without our big CF and we still end up crossing the ball a lot, just like we have been doing all season. That is absolutely on the manager.

Early on in the season Rooney was being blaimed for the attacking short comings. Then Ibra got it for a while because he missed a few chances. Then Martial for not doing enough. Then Valencia for his crossing. Then Pogba for not doing central midfielder things. Now it's Mata, Mkhitaryan and Rashford for not stepping up. And these continuous scapegoating exercises - moving from one player to the next and the next as soon each new option doesn't prove to be the answer - still haven't caused a re-evaluation. It has now become "the attack needs to be gutted." There have been eight jaysus players that have been blaimed for the attacking problems rather than looking at other possible explanations. Get a grip lads.

Exactly Jose needs to go

Mr.H wrote: »
    Exactly Jose needs to go

...is not what he said.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement