Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It was a lot better watching lvg lads. At least they look like wanting to have **** on goal.

I think that's the thing that makes the draws more bearable its because the games last year were so bad we were going there spell with only one of two on target the entire game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A lot of our players were too static also, simply standing and wanting the ball to feet.Movement is key when playing against a packed defence.It says a lot when Fellaini was the most mobile man on the pitch.Rashford and Martial spent most of the game stood almost beside each other,one had to move in central and be the focal point of the attack.As for the right hand side,watching Turn Back Tony kill every attack was heartbreaking.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Because with the exception of Mkhitaryan, it WAS an LVG team again. The team, at the end, was...
    De Gea
    Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Young
    Carrick - Fellaini
    Lingard - Rooney - Martial
    Rashford

No **** that team struggled to break down a park the buss team. We've known that team isn't capable of that for 2 years now :/

Thats not, btw, giving Jose a free pass on anything. Just that it shouldn't surprise people that we played like a LVG team when the team was near identical to what LVG put out last season.

We're massively reliant on Ibrahimovic, and with Pogba missing through injury and Mkhi having a quiet day, we resorted back to the same form as last season.

Kinda backs up what José said about them and the mindset LVG had instilled into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Because with the exception of Mkhitaryan, it WAS an LVG team again. The team, at the end, was...
    De Gea
    Carrick - Fellaini
    Rashford

No **** that team struggled to break down a park the buss team. We've known that team isn't capable of that for 2 years now :/

Thats not, btw, giving Jose a free pass on anything. Just that it shouldn't surprise people that we played like a LVG team when the team was near identical to what LVG put out last season.

We're massively reliant on Ibrahimovic, and with Pogba missing through injury and Mkhi having a quiet day, we resorted back to the same form as last season.

Jose should be doing a lot better than LVG, he was an awful manager. And Jose has had these same problems plenty of times this season with Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Ibra available in the squad.

Not that I agree it was like watching an LVG team anyway. The style was completely different with lots of numbers forward, loads of movement and interchanging of position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    It was a lot better watching lvg lads. At least they look like wanting to have **** on goal.

I think that's the thing that makes the draws more bearable its because the games last year were so bad we were going there spell with only one of two on target the entire game.

In fairness, we had 18 shots, which is 17 more than we'd have had under LVG.

But it's the 25% possession and three times the passes that gives me the flashbacks.

Yesterday's result would be bareable, if it wasn't really the norm this season. We have had so many results that, in isolation, aren't bad, but together are so frustrating.

Only Spurs have lost as little as we have this season (3 games lost each). But no other team has drawn as many games either. Being optimistic, it's a decent foundation to build on. It's just incredibly frustrating this season.

• Advertisement

In fairness, we had 18 shots, which is 17 more than we'd have had under LVG.

But it's the 25% possession and three times the passes that gives me the flashbacks.

Yesterday's result would be bareable, if it wasn't really the norm this season. We have had so many results that, in isolation, aren't bad, but together are so frustrating.

Only Spurs have lost as little as we have this season (3 games lost each). But no other team has drawn as many games either. Being optimistic, it's a decent foundation to build on. It's just incredibly frustrating this season.

Yep I agree it is frustrating but it is a foundation its a direction under lvg it was nothing complete lifeless.

It's hard to blame martial and rashford because they are so young and they will be inconsistent but then if jose didn't rely on them as much as he has this season people be saying ohh he won't give youth a chance.

This season is what it is now it will either be Europe or bust unless we can pull a string of performances out of the bag it's not what anyone wanted or expected but we have the best man in charge to build a squad in my opinion.

This season is what it is now it will either be Europe or bust unless we can pull a string of performances out of the bag

For what its worth, I wouldn't write off top 4 yet. Yeah, we keep missing opportunities handed to us on a plate, but City, Liverpool and Arsenal are as bad as us, and will drop points too. I'd still be hopeful....

For what its worth, I wouldn't write off top 4 yet. Yeah, we keep missing opportunities handed to us on a plate, but City, Liverpool and Arsenal are as bad as us, and will drop points too. I'd still be hopeful....

I dont think there is much between the 4 teams outside the current top two but the fixtures is the problem and the injuries if we weren't in Europe I'd have more hope but it's just relentless games now we really need a big performance against Everton and then see what happens the rest on Wednesday night.

Anyone know when pogba is back? Any dates given? We will have ander and Zlatan back at least but mata is a massive loss :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Criticising Jose's tactics as if he is not sitting in the stands watching the same game as us, as if he doesn't know we need to score more goals, as if he is unaware how many games we've drawn at home this season. Mourinho has watched 44 United games this season and not thought to himself that he needs to use a different approach, he frequently coaches the players not to play riskier football because why do we need to when we are doing so well.

Mourinho is not infallible of course, but this isn't a short stretch of games, this is a whole season and we're to believe that a man with 19 major trophies is out of the loop. If I can see problems with this team then so can Mourinho, and this is the main reason why I look at the players. Our use of the ball in the final third is painful, the players hanged Van Gaal and Moyes over this but still when they are faced with a defensive unit they look completely lost. People are entitled their opinion and can blame Jose, I'm sure he is planning on buying attacking players in the summer and if the same stuff continues next season of course then he will get the blame and be out of the job.

Pogba trained yesterday evening after the game,reckon he'll play Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

De Gea
    Carrick - Fellaini
    Rashford

We had Pogba Mikateryan and Ibra available IIRC for the games against most of the other teams we had silly draws against.
    Maybe its more the managers fault than the players fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

True and Jose will continue to play his best team until it's mathematically impossible to get top 4 but current performances wouldn't fill us with confidence. We have to go all out for the El.

billyhead wrote: »
    How will Mourinho fix the goal scoring issue in the summer though? Greizmann looks like a non runner. Mbabbe will more then likely stay at Monaco another year and is still raw. Lukaku more then likely will sign for Chelsea. Sanches if sold will either be sold abroad or replace Hazard at Chelsea. Dreis Martens of Napoli whom were linked with is a big gamble and will not imo get many goals. There's not a lot of choices to improve the situation other then rely on a 35 year old striker whom as already mentioned misses a lot more then he finishes. We should have brought Saido Mane

I think before we worry about a Grizeman we need to get a
    World Class Centre Half
    Left Back [as Shaw seems unwanted]
    Defensive midfielder
    Passing midfielder similar to kroos
    Then worry about a Grizeman or neymar

Robson99 wrote: »
    We had Pogba Mikateryan and Ibra available IIRC for the games against most of the other teams we had silly draws against.
    Maybe its more the managers fault than the players fault

A lot of those earlier games, I thought tactics were spot on. Some of the draws, we were laying siege and couldn't but the ball into the net. Manager is of course going to shoulder some blame, but when everything is working except getting the ball in the net, you have to look at the players.

Criticising Jose's tactics as if he is not sitting in the stands watching the same game as us, as if he doesn't know we need to score more goals, as if he is unaware how many games we've drawn at home this season. Mourinho has watched 44 United games this season and not thought to himself that he needs to use a different approach, he frequently coaches the players not to play riskier football because why do we need to when we are doing so well.

Mourinho is not infallible of course, but this isn't a short stretch of games, this is a whole season and we're to believe that a man with 19 major trophies is out of the loop. If I can see problems with this team then so can Mourinho, and this is the main reason why I look at the players. Our use of the ball in the final third is painful, the players hanged Van Gaal and Moyes over this but still when they are faced with a defensive unit they look completely lost. People are entitled their opinion and can blame Jose, I'm sure he is planning on buying attacking players in the summer and if the same stuff continues next season of course then he will get the blame and be out of the job.

The players did not hang LVG and Moyes. LVG and Moyes were nowhere near good enough.

I'm sure we could benefit from one or two new attacking players (before we have to start looking at replacing Ibra too because of age), but it's clear that there are also tactical and strategic problems and that is on the manager. 19 trophies or not, to say that Jose is getting enough out of the quality he has available is wrong. It may well just take time, that's often how it works with new managers. But Jose should not be allowed to gut and rebuild the squad as many seem to want.

I reckon it will be 4 out,4 in come the Summer. A leader at the back due to Smalling and Jones having constant issues with concentration and fitness.Shaw is a gonner,Carrick's replacement is key and Rooney will be gone too,he's living on his past reputation at this stage and is not good enough for a team wanting to be at the top anymore.

zerks wrote: »
    I reckon it will be 4 out,4 in come the Summer. A leader at the back due to Smalling and Jones having constant issues with concentration and fitness.Shaw is a gonner,Carrick's replacement is key and Rooney will be gone too,he's living on his past reputation at this stage and is not good enough for a team wanting to be at the top anymore.

I'd agree with the Shaw, Rooney, Carrick and one of Smalling or Jones.

But I wouldn't be shocked if Martial is sent packing in a bid to raise funds for another player, given Jose seems to have doubts over him. I wouldn't be shocked to see Darmian or Blind moved on too.

A lot of those earlier games, I thought tactics were spot on. Some of the draws, we were laying siege and couldn't but the ball into the net. Manager is of course going to shoulder some blame, but when everything is working except getting the ball in the net, you have to look at the players.

Everything isn't working. You just have to look at how often we resort to playing it wide for isolated players to cross and how there is no back-up for our big CF to see that there is still room for improvement tactically and strategically.

The Times are running a story that us and Chelsea are looking at a £170m move for Neymar.

The Brazil international Neymar is considering approaches from Manchester United and Chelsea as he seeks to move ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi as Europe’s best-paid footballer.

According to sources close to the 25-year-old, the Barcelona star has ­targeted an annual after-tax salary in the region of €25m (£21.2m), a sum that would exceed Ronaldo’s remuneration at Real Madrid. Equally important to the Brazilian is the opportunity to escape the situation at Barcelona, where Messi and Luis Suarez are considered more important to the club’s success, and to play for a team structured around his own attacking talents.

Neymar has told friends that both United and Chelsea have asked if he will push for a move to England this summer. According to his account, Jose Mourinho has been particularly persistent in his courtship, with the Old Trafford club promising to meet his financial demands and — if necessary — pay the €200m (£170m) release clause in his Camp Nou contract. Although that deal was extended as recently as October, club sources describe it as “a sticking plaster” intended to patch over a conflict between Neymar and his employers.

Interestingly, the article is written by Duncan Castles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

zerks wrote: »
    Interestingly If that is the case that will have been 8 first team replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I keep seeing the line being trotted out about how much more free flowing the football is now Under Jose, is it really though or are yous desperately trying to clutch at something to be positive about?

Utd have played poorly in the majority of their matches for months now, looking at the GS section of the table makes for some really grim reading for a team that's playing like Brazil circa 1970, 42 compared to 60, 57, 64, 54, 56, 52 from all the other top 7 teams!

Sure you's have had a billion shots per match (Pogba) but that doesn't equate to good football as such, with so much talent in the squad and the money spent you'd have to say Jose is having a mare thus far, he might still turn it round though, the chequebook will need to come out though could cost 300-400 million.

I as a Liverpool fan thought Utd could have a sniff of winning the league this season, I definitely didn't foresee a scrap for 4th place being the main target and it has been since pretty early in the season, I'm sure most Utd fans fancied way better league form this season and must be gutted, in fact I read a few on here yesterday saying they've given up on the league and they are not angry with draws, again all very surprising to me.

I shall just roll under the bottom rope now and wait for another chair shot at a future date, ciao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wow hold up there lad.

We were brutal going forward and at the back last season. No way is this season worse. Frustrating, maybe, but no way worse.

Wow hold up there lad.

We were brutal going forward and at the back last season. No way is this season worse. Frustrating, maybe, but no way worse.

Haha that was ment to say "it was alot better then watching LVG's team " I agree with you that's why I said it Makes the draws a little more bearable is because we look like we have a plan its just not been executed perfectly at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Reading back over the last few pages and would miss the good old days when the trolls actually put in a bit of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

limnam wrote: »

FA should relegate the club IMO ban all the players 'til Coleman is fit again too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Utd related, how? Two other threads could do with it, not this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Every club have a certain level of **** for fans tbf, people that go on about Hillsborough, Munich etc, racist behaviour. People that mock other clubs players for getting injured, or get involved in the above, are clearly intellectually inferior to the average person.

I find it a good barometer for identifying mouth breathing dunderpates, people that think wearing matching tracksuit top and bottoms is getting dressed up.

They should be treated with the same level of disdain that walking in dogshyte raises in people.

user2011 wrote: »

I missed your modship announcement.

Apologies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I missed your modship announcement.

Apologies

giphy.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbXajeABX7082S2lu4BXteQh2O1nLI6TM5CgbGBrDmPJVs5cLtBw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Giggsy11 wrote:
    Top 3 doesn't mean they scored 3rd most goals, it means they might be 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

I never said I thought you meant Madrid were third.....

I was showing my shock horror that real Madrid with all that attacking quality were in the top 3 for goals scored........ barca only had messi at the time. No BBC

I remember Rafa once had Liverpool as one of the top scorers in Europe. Does that mean he is attacking?

Jose is a defensive manager and it's thruway he wins things. Point proven last few years with trying to be more attack minded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

sane is a savage player, raging we didnt sign him. looks the real deal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Arsenal losing already

user2011 wrote: »

Most of them seem to be in here today anyway,they'd have a better chance of seeing the link.

1-1 Arsenal been pretty decent the last 20 minutes.

Was looking like they might get hammered earlier on.

• Advertisement

That lasted long,Aguero scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

1-2 now.

adox wrote: »
    1-2 now.

Yera, two woeful defenses.

Ill take 5-5 should suit is nicely :pac:

Yera, two woeful defenses.

Ill take 5-5 should suit is nicely :pac:

Depending on the scorers it'll do my fantasy football nicely.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Any talk on Mourinho getting sacked is just silly imo. If things are similar this time next season then it might be time to have a serious rethink, but not yet.

He does deserve criticism for some things, but that's a different thing.

Somewhat controversial part here, but I think the signing of Ibrahimovic has probably not been a great one for the club as a whole. Obviously he has scored goals, and probably your player of the season, which probably isn't the hardest competition to win, but I think it just sets the direction of play and the club in a certain way, and when the person it is being based around is 35 it is not great for the club in my view. If ye didn't sign him last summer you would probably have brought in someone else more suited to a fast, attacking game, and the utd play has been ponderous at times.

Pogba as well not performing great has been something that has held ye up, but it is probably something that will improve over the next year or two you'd assume. He has the potential to be a monster, but it's not working. Carrick is not the player he was, but is too important still in my view for someone of his age.

Neymar won't happen (well it could, but I very much doubt it), but someone like Griezeman might, which would transform your attack. If ye had a player like Sane or Mane (obviously not either of them though) as well coming in this summer, then you would be an immensely different proposition. Controversial as it would be, Ibrahimovic deciding not to extend and going to MLS or wherever could be something that would improve ye. Carrick retiring also, and Rooney leaving, while creating an experience deficit, would force a different way of thinking within the club playing staff I believe.

Defence is probably generally OK for ye as Mourinho knows for sure how to get that area right, and unless something mad like de Gea leaving happens, then incremental change at most there is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

This Arsenal v City game is a good watch. What result is best here for us? A draw?

GSPfan wrote: »
    This Arsenal v City game is a good watch. What result is best here for us? A draw?

A draw I guess but I do take great pleasure in City conceding goals.

Neither team can defend it seems.

GSPfan wrote: »

Actually with City away to Chelsea next a defeat here for them wouldn't be a bad result.

5starpool wrote: »

Somewhat controversial part here, but I think the signing of Ibrahimovic has probably not been a great one for the club as a whole. Obviously he has scored goals, and probably your player of the season,

He's not just been our player of the season he's been one of the best players in the league.

He's brought a mentality to the team we've been lacking for years and without him we'd be most likely hovering around 10th and out of Europa league. The younger players have had someone to look up to and learn from.

Your talking like he was brought in to spear head the attack for the next 5 years. He was brought in on a free and pretty much guaranteed us a minimum of 20 goals a season and he has gone way above and beyond expectations.

It's been a learning season for Jose and in that he already has silverware in the cabinet and in with a great chance of a EL cup not to mention still the chance for top 4.

If he manages half of that it would have been one hell of a season for a manager who inherited a shambolic mess.

Your post is not so much controversial as it is utter nonsense.

He's not just been our player of the season he's been one of the best players in the league.

He's brought a mentality to the team we've been lacking for years and without him we'd be most likely hovering around 10th and out of Europa league. The younger players have had someone to look up to and learn from.

Your talking like he was brought in to spear head the attack for the next 5 years. He was brought in on a free and pretty much guaranteed us a minimum of 20 goals a season and he has gone way above and beyond expectations.

It's been a learning season for Jose and in that he already has silverware in the cabinet and in with a great chance of a EL cup not to mention still the chance for top 4.

If he manages half of that it would have been one hell of a season for a manager who inherited a shambolic mess.

Your post is not so much controversial as it is utter nonsense.

Next season will be a bigger problem with Ibra if he has to play every minute of every game when available.
    If we were to sign Lukaku where would that leave Rashford???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Good result for us but we still aren't taking advantage of these opportunities. Disappointing weekend

• Well that's a good result

That's a decent result for us infairness and city are playing Chelsea next who hopefully will bounce back from the defeat to Palace.

So I reckon we will draw to Everton then.

adox wrote: »
    Actually with City away to Chelsea next a defeat here for them wouldn't be a bad result.

After their loss to CP yesterday, anything less than 3 points for Chelsea from the City game will open the title race again. We won't be in it, but if Spurs can beat Swansea in their next game and Chelsea drop those points against City, that will make for an interesting run-in.

Just looking at that next round of games, we really need 3 points against Everton. Arsenal with a home game against West Ham, Liverpool at home to Bournemouth, I know our rivals have been beaten regularly by smaller teams over the last couple of months but I don't think they'll be doing us any favours on Wednesday.

We really need to start doing ourselves some favours.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Next season will be a bigger problem with Ibra if he has to play every minute of every game when available.
    If we were to sign Lukaku where would that leave Rashford???

If he continues to play the way he has this year, he has to play imo.

Regardless if it's Lukaku or another striker the question mark will always be there for Rashford.

When he's been given a chance he's not really delivering this year., he's had some effective games on the left maybe it's something they're looking at if Martial is to be shown the door.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement