Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Why do people come in a spout stuff like talk if jose been sacked? I don't think anyone has called for him to be sacked or even close to it.

As I said about this thread before one good thing is we can actually critique our own manager objectively without going over board apart from maybe one or two comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

jayo26 wrote: »
    Why do people come in a spout stuff like talk if jose been sacked? I don't think anyone has called for him to be sacked or even close to it.

As I said about this thread before one good thing is we can actually clique our own manager objectively without going over board apart from maybe one or two comments.

Its obviously rival supporters who have read "the secret" laws of attraction :pac:

As I said about this thread before one good thing is we can actually clique our own manager objectively without going over board apart from maybe one or two comments.

No, but already there's statements like "I am still with Jose, but...". No harm to anyone saying that, but I think that should still be a given at this stage. The fact that we're starting to see those self-assuring comments means there's at least a little doubt creeping in IMO.

I also think that there might be a 'wait and see' approach from some fans in regards to Jose helping us get CL for next season, which is fine. At this stage, I think our chances of it are slim be it either by Top 4 or Europa victory, but the thoughts of replacing Mourinho already haven't even entered my mind.

I let LVG do the football equivalent of piss in my eyes for 16 months before I wanted to see him replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

That's a decent result for us infairness and city are playing Chelsea next who hopefully will bounce back from the defeat to Palace.

So I reckon we will draw to Everton then.

Back a 0-0 or 1-1 is the question

stankratz wrote: »
    No, but already there's statements like "I am still with Jose, but...". No harm to anyone saying that, but I think that should still be a given at this stage. The fact that we're starting to see those self-assuring comments means there's at least a little doubt creeping in IMO.

I also think that there might be a 'wait and see' approach from some fans in regards to Jose helping us get CL for next season, which is fine. At this stage, I think our chances of it are slim be it either by Top 4 or Europa victory, but the thoughts of replacing Mourinho already haven't even entered my mind.

I let LVG do the football equivalent of piss in my eyes for 16 months before I wanted to see him replaced.

How could they be any doubts whatsoever? There is no other manager out there that may be available and has won a league with so many different sides in different countries and built squads as much as jose.

He definitely has made mistakes this year he is not perfect but no other manager has been fantastic this year either. Conte is doing a superb job with Chelsea but that could change in the next week or two if he don't rescue them from a blip but any other manager can easily pick out faults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Today's result just makes yesterday's result more frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Today's result just makes yesterday's result more frustrating

It's like Groundhog day.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

limnam wrote: »
    He's not just been our player of the season he's been one of the best players in the league.

He's brought a mentality to the team we've been lacking for years and without him we'd be most likely hovering around 10th and out of Europa league. The younger players have had someone to look up to and learn from.

Your talking like he was brought in to spear head the attack for the next 5 years. He was brought in on a free and pretty much guaranteed us a minimum of 20 goals a season and he has gone way above and beyond expectations.

It's been a learning season for Jose and in that he already has silverware in the cabinet and in with a great chance of a EL cup not to mention still the chance for top 4.

If he manages half of that it would have been one hell of a season for a manager who inherited a shambolic mess.

Your post is not so much controversial as it is utter nonsense.

A shambolic system with hundreds of millions invested, with over 100m for him to spend as well before the season began. For you to suggest he is overachieving (which you clearly are saying) is 100x more nonsensical than anything I've said.

I said Ibrahimovic has had an excellent season and been ye're best player. I also said that signing him is essentially just using a band aid rather than the actual surgery needed as it turns out.

Saying that winning the League Cup and beating teams in the EL that ye absolutely should be (ye haven't played anyone ye wouldn't have been disgusted to get knocked out by yet) and challenging for the top 4 is twice what you expected is acting like ye are Southampton, not Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

5starpool wrote: »
    A shambolic system with hundreds of millions invested, with over 100m for him to spend as well before the season began. For you to suggest he is overachieving (which you clearly are saying) is 100x more nonsensical than anything I've said.

I said Ibrahimovic has had an excellent season and been ye're best player. I also said that signing him is essentially just using a band aid rather than the actual surgery needed as it turns out.

Saying that winning the League Cup and beating teams in the EL that ye absolutely should be (ye haven't played anyone ye wouldn't have been disgusted to get knocked out by yet) and challenging for the top 4 is twice what you expected is acting like ye are Southampton, not Man Utd.

If Man Utd not almost as good as 5 years ago and Man Utd fans are still ok with it then

Other team supporters say they're delusional.

If Man Utd improving from 3 years of muck and other teams improving and football changing then

Man utd fans slightly disappointed but realise progression and expect more in future seasons

• Advertisement

Nalz wrote: »
    If Man Utd not almost as good as 5 years ago and Man Utd fans are still ok with it then

Other team supporters say they're delusional.

If Man Utd improving from 3 years of muck and other teams improving and football changing then

Man utd fans slightly disappointed but realise progression and expect more in future seasons

Do you think Utd have overachieved this season? That's not the same as saying you accept where ye are as part of a plan of progression, but limnam would accept less (and not just a little less) than ye are getting as expected this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pro. F wrote: »
    The players did not hang LVG and Moyes. LVG and Moyes were nowhere near good enough.

I'm sure we could benefit from one or two new attacking players (before we have to start looking at replacing Ibra too because of age), but it's clear that there are also tactical and strategic problems and that is on the manager. 19 trophies or not, to say that Jose is getting enough out of the quality he has available is wrong. It may well just take time, that's often how it works with new managers. But Jose should not be allowed to gut and rebuild the squad as many seem to want.

The leaks to the media all criticized Van Gaal and Moyes' tactics, the players were apparently shackled by their tactics. Which is fair enough but to still be the case now and with the two new recruits Ibra and Mikki looking the pick of the bunch it looks as if the players who have been present for longer just aren't performing.

Chelsea's usual front 5 have 13 more goals than ours, Liverpool 10, Spurs 17. Maybe it is just bad luck, Mikki and Martial have played half the minutes of the players in the teams ahead of us. I would sooner believe that 2 or 3 of our younger attacking players have had bad seasons and not been able to pull their weight than Mourinho has got his tactics this season wrong and not tried to change them in 8 months though. Maybe it is a combination of both, time will tell and Mourinho will get at least until December before he is in any trouble.

Do you think Utd have overachieved this season? That's not the same as saying you accept where ye are as part of a plan of progression, but limnam would accept less (and not just a little less) than ye are getting as expected this season.

I dont think any fan would be happy of we miss out on champs league but it's not a case of if we miss out the manager should be sacked with or fans should be loosing the plot.

Disappointed yes but over reacting is no use because what we think don't matter same as with any club move on to next season and hopefully it will be put right and with the manager we have in charge id be 100 percent confident of it.

Edit: and yeh we have Underachiever so far but the season ain't over yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What are people's thoughts on the story of Jose planning to bring Karanka in to work with him?

I dont think any fan would be happy of we miss out on champs league but it's not a case of if we miss out the manager should be sacked with or fans should be loosing the plot.

Disappointed yes but over reacting is no use because what we think don't matter same as with any club move on to next season and hopefully it will be put right and with the manager we have in charge id be 100 percent confident of it.

Edit: and yeh we have Underachiever so far but the season ain't over yet.

If ye do miss out on CL I don't think he should be sacked either as that would just be stupid. I'm just taking issue with the previous poster who made a stupid point in order to dismiss others of mine that he didn't really address at all.

Anyhow, no discussion about my points so I'll leave it there rather than labour my opinion.

• 5starpool wrote: »

TBF, the amount of knee jerk reactions that go on across all threads.
    It was season over about 4 weeks ago in the Liverpool thread, now it's the usual hyper stuff again
    Nobody seems to have patience anymore with regards to soccer it's all a bit mad
    Same for alot in here too
    I think people continue to forget Jose is hardly in charge for a year, relax I say.
    Too used to winning.
    The Moyes era gave me a bit of reality check as it was a long time before that how it felt to be on the painful side of being a fan.
    Suck it up support your team, we are going the right direction it's just going to take more time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on the story of Jose planning to bring Karanka in to work with him?

If Jose thinks he can add to the coaching team, then all power to him.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If Jose thinks he can add to the coaching team, then all power to him.

Reading up on him it seems he's better as a coach than a manager, no harm in having some help on that front.

How could they be any doubts whatsoever? There is no other manager out there that may be available and has won a league with so many different sides in different countries and built squads as much as jose.

He definitely has made mistakes this year he is not perfect but no other manager has been fantastic this year either. Conte is doing a superb job with Chelsea but that could change in the next week or two if he don't rescue them from a blip but any other manager can easily pick out faults.

I don't doubt it myself, but objectively I can see how some would - Yeah Jose won a PL title just two seasons ago, but he then went on to oversee Chelsea's freefall towards the fringes of the relegation zone. Whatever was going on there, whoever was to blame, that was some capitulation. I don't doubt that we have a manager who can bring us to another PL title, but because of the Chelsea thing I can see why there could be a doubt for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

*IF* He delivers a league cup,EL cup and top 4 returning to CL football in his first season after the mess of the last year 3 years I'd have ripped your arm off for it pre-season and yes in this situation I'd consider that over achieving my expectations of his first season.

So not a mistake then. we're in agreement then.

Rubbish, I'm saying if he delivers 1 of either an EL cup or a top 4 finish to add to a league cup with the nonsense that's gone on before its going to be a very good season for him IMO.

Bit rich since Southampton prevented the mighty pool from the only realistic chance they had at any silverware and finished above you last year.

Anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

https://twitter.com/_PaulHayward/status/848658613476503552

A Luke hasn't been this fooked since one had his hand chopped off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

https://twitter.com/_PaulHayward/status/848658613476503552

A Luke hasn't been this fooked since he had his hand chopped off

Very sad. I had such high hopes but the injury must of done a lot more psychologically than physically.

He still looks over weight the times I have seen him on the pitch as well.

Hopefully he gets the head straight and turns it around during pre-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Very sad to hear that about Shaw. Just goes to show how serious an injury like that can have on a player. Was convinced when we bought him he'd be our LB for years to come and a regular international player also but obviously it's not supposed to be.

If he's to make a comeback I don't think it'll be here at Utd atleast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Headshot wrote: »
    Very sad. I had such high hopes but the injury must of done a lot more psychologically than physically.

He still looks over weight the times I have seen him on the pitch as well.

Hopefully he gets the head straight and turns it around during pre-season.

While it obviously didn't help I don't think the injury is the reason. Mourinho isn't the first manager to comment on his fitness/attitude. Such a shame to see such potential being wasted.

I'm disappointed to hear that it mightn't work out with Shaw after all. James Ducker at the Telegraph has already gotten an article out of that Jose quote. It's not a bad read...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/02/man-utd-ready-sell-luke-shaw-summer-jose-mourinho-claims-long/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Mr.H wrote: »
    I never said I thought you meant Madrid were third.....

I was showing my shock horror that real Madrid with all that attacking quality were in the top 3 for goals scored........ barca only had messi at the time. No BBC

I remember Rafa once had Liverpool as one of the top scorers in Europe. Does that mean he is attacking?

Jose is a defensive manager and it's thruway he wins things. Point proven last few years with trying to be more attack minded

Just stop, it's really embarrassing now. Barca were one of the best attacking unit, they had Messi, David Villa and also Pedro, signed Sanchez. Prime Xavi, Iniesta creating chances along with David Villa.

Even now with Messi, Suarez, Neymar the goals scored record is not broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Very sad to hear that about Shaw. Just goes to show how serious an injury like that can have on a player. Was convinced when we bought him he'd be our LB for years to come and a regular international player also but obviously it's not supposed to be.

If he's to make a comeback I don't think it'll be here at Utd atleast

Both Lvg & Hodgson questioned his fitness a year before the leg break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think some players need to play their way back to fitness and Shaw may be one of those. Rooney is the same. Obviously every player should be the ultimate pro and be totally dedicated in training but that's not realistic.

I can see Shaw going to another club and getting a run of games and returning to his best form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Shaw is coming into the last year of his contract in June. That would turn out to be a massive loss if we can't sell him for around £20 million. You'd imagine he is still valuable but who will fork out the money with all this talk of a bad attitude.

I am saddened to see it go so wrong for him but I have no doubt he would be playing if he showed he had the right attitude. Its a position we have no real owner of and he still can't get back in the team.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Shaw is coming into the last year of his contract in June. That would turn out to be a massive loss if we can't sell him for around £20 million. You'd imagine he is still valuable but who will fork out the money with all this talk of a bad attitude.

I am saddened to see it go so wrong for him but I have no doubt he would be playing if he showed he had the right attitude. Its a position we have no real owner of and he still can't get back in the team.

Club has option to extend his contract by a year.

Not sure why many are convinced Shaw will be sold. Previously it was Mata, Mkhitaryan, Martial not it's Shaw.

• Advertisement

• So the game tomorrow; Assuming Ibra & Herrera will slot back in
    Apparently Pogba is 50 / 50 but I doubt Jose will risk him
    I honestly don't fear Everton whatsoever, nor do I fear some backlash from them after the Pool game
    Ultimately it's up to Utd to get the result. Hopefully the two lads keep there cool, no need to get cards again straight after coming back from bans

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So the game tomorrow; Assuming Ibra & Herrera will slot back in
    Apparently Pogba is 50 / 50 but I doubt Jose will risk him
    I honestly don't fear Everton whatsoever, nor do I fear some backlash from them after the Pool game
    Ultimately it's up to Utd to get the result. Hopefully the two lads keep there cool, no need to get cards again straight after coming back from bans

Everton won't do a WBA and camp out in their own penalty box and we might have some joy as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ibrahimovic and Herrera back will be a huge boost.They were both badly missed on Saturday.

It's time to stand up and be counted ,a lot of players need to raise their game a few levels .

Regarding Shaw,José isn't the first one to question his attitude. Van Gaal did the same. Just because he's not in the papers every week for acting the bollix, people think it's not Shaw's fault.
    If he's not working hard in training then he won't play,simple.Look at Zaha when he was at United, similar attitude and he was moved on.A bit older and a bit wiser now he's flourished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Club has option to extend his contract by a year.

Not sure why many are convinced Shaw will be sold. Previously it was Mata, Mkhitaryan, Martial not it's Shaw.

Nice post in humour topic. Had noticed myself they were terribly wrong stats. Makes all the thanks even funnier :D

Unearthly wrote: »
    Nice post in humour topic. Had noticed myself they were terribly wrong stats. Makes all the thanks even funnier :D

Thanks man. People are way too eager to post something funny but don't validate the stats.

Regarding Shaw,José isn't the first one to question his attitude. Van Gaal did the same. Just because he's not in the papers every week for acting the bollix, people think it's not Shaw's fault.
    If he's not working hard in training then he won't play,simple.Look at Zaha when he was at United, similar attitude and he was moved on.A bit older and a bit wiser now he's flourished.

Its why I have massive reservations about forking out big money and big wages to players who are so, so young. This attitude that's taken the club over since Fergie left, that we need to focus on 18-21 year olds, is damaging in a way. They get these massive wages and their motivation seems to drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Or Zaha is playing every week so he is flourishing? I think when he returned to Palace he wasn't good for a while but low and behold a player who plays regularly eventually plays to his potential.

Or Zaha is playing every week so he is flourishing? I think when he returned to Palace he wasn't good for a while but low and behold a player who plays regularly eventually plays to his potential.

But a team of Palace's level can afford to give young players that chance. A team who wants to be top tier, who has the pressure of a fan base who demands good football AND results, doesn't really have the time to. Especially when there's 4 or 5 kids with the same issue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Whatever about massive wages and being so young...

These people who get these massive wages are being given a massive opportunity, if they don't take it, don't do the required work, have the wrong attitude, well it is the player being very blind to the situation they are in.
    Big clubs can't have players who are passengers.

Shaw is a passenger and has been for quite a while now. If he leaves, we won't miss him as he hardly ever plays anyway.
    I would be happy for United to sell him for a player who improves United in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The pitfalls of giving an 18 year old over 100 grand a week, hopefully he gets his head right but those Mourinho quotes don't look promising.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

****in hell, Moyes.

Caught threatening a female reporter with a slap.

DM_7 wrote: »
    ****in hell, Moyes.

Think he said it jokingly but of course that's rightfully not allowed and it will be definitely jumped on.

Threatening is definitely a harsh description of it.

****in hell, Moyes.

It's a nothing story for me. Off the cuff humour that in isolation seems bad but in context is fine imo.

• Advertisement

Rooney, Vidic , Carragher and Terry all confirmed for Carricks testimonial

It was public knowledge about his attitude at United, talented yes but his mentality was all wrong.Look back at the likes of Beckham, he was a poster boy but he worked damn hard.Young lads these days are getting big money and don't know the meaning of working hard to make it.It's a kind of X-Factor aspiration that so many have, "I want fame and riches and I want it now."

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Rooney, Vidic , Carragher and Terry all confirmed for Carricks testimonial

Rooney's last game for United?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

****in hell, Moyes.

a nothing story, they were laughing about it at the time.

It's a nothing story for me. Off the cuff humour that in isolation seems bad but in context is fine imo.

Thats the problem it is a nothing story but in these days of the daily mail and rags like that it will be blown into the biggest derogatory coment since Andy Gray talked about a woman in football.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement