Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

zerks wrote: »
    Rooney's last game for United?????

I thought the exact same when reading it this morning.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

jayo26 wrote: »
    Thats the problem it is a nothing story but in these days of the daily mail and rags like that it will be blown into the biggest derogatory coment since Andy Gray talked about a woman in football.

It'll be overshadowed by the upcoming war with Spain that the mail and telegraph hilariously seem to want.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If the context is it was a joke among friends, whatever. If he said it to a stranger, it's a blunder, and at a time he really can't afford to offer excuses to the club to get rid of him. I don't think it's malicious of him, but it's another example of Moyes having no ****ing PR head on him at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If the context is it was a joke among friends, whatever. If he said it to a stranger, it's a blunder, and at a time he really can't afford to offer excuses to the club to get rid of him. I don't think it's malicious of him, but it's another example of Moyes having no ****ing PR head on him at all...

it was said off camera jokingly to the reporter, how exactly is that moyes having no PR head on him??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

our line up for next season...... the season of goals, goals goals

de gea

valencia
    bailly
    gimenez
    shaw

fabinho

Mkhitarayan---Herrera----Pogba

Griezmann
    Zlatan

Alaba left back would be amazing but im hoping Shaw works hard to get into the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I wouldnt have Zaha back even considering his current form which isnt earth shattering.

Id be surprised if Shaw isnt sold at this stage. I think Giggsys post about "first it was...then.." as if hes just the next in a line of players being talked about moving on, isnt applicable here and Shaws situation doesnt compare.

The season is drawing to a close. The team have had a lot of injuries lately and Shaw still isnt getting a look in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bangkok wrote: »
    our line up for next season...... the season of goals, goals goals

de gea

valencia
    bailly
    gimenez
    shaw

fabinho

Mkhitarayan---Herrera----Pogba

Griezmann
    Zlatan

Alaba left back would be amazing but im hoping Shaw works hard to get into the team

You have Fabinho in Reus' position though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

adox wrote: »
    I wouldnt have Zaha back even considering his current form which isnt earth shattering.

Id be surprised if Shaw isnt sold at this stage. I think Giggsys post about "first it was...then.." as if hes just the next in a line of players being talked about moving on, isnt applicable here and Shaws situation doesnt compare.

The season is drawing to a close. The team have had a lot of injuries lately and Shaw still isnt getting a look in.

Jose also said very good things about Shaw just 2-3 weeks back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Jose also said very good things about Shaw just 2-3 weeks back.

Feels like that was trying to give him one final kick up the ass. He complimented him, gave him a game, and Shaw hasn't been seen since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I expect Shaw to be replaced.

Some players fight for their place, Valencia and Young when they clearly were not good enough scoring wise as wingers, and both have made themselves very useful, with Valencia in particular doing very well.
    Bastian when dropped and told it was very unlikely he would play for United again, Jose in the end said he was wrong and was sorry as Bastian showed what a professional does - they don't give up, they work even harder, show a bit of pride in themselves and want to prove doubters wrong.
    It doesn't look like Shaw is in this category.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Feels like that was trying to give him one final kick up the ass. He complimented him, gave him a game, and Shaw hasn't been seen since.

Exactly. Looks like Jose is trying every trick to bring best out of Shaw.

Loan Watch: Sam Johnstone has kept 6 clean sheets in his last 7 games for Norwich, and even got an assist...

https://twitter.com/BeingRedDevil/status/848831070548049920

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Moyes has always been aggressive to journalists questioning him in press conferences but threatening a woman with a slap is utterly idiotic. It deserved an apology and it should be put to bed now.

But in this day an age that sort of talk can get you elected to the White House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

GSPfan wrote: »
    Moyes has always been aggressive to journalists questioning him in press conferences but threatening a woman with a slap is utterly idiotic. It deserved an apology and it should be put to bed now.

But in this day an age that sort of talk can get you elected to the White House.

Clearly he's now on the FA's list for next England manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

stankratz wrote: »
    Loan Watch: Sam Johnstone has kept 6 clean sheets in his last 7 games for Norwich, and even got an assist...

https://twitter.com/BeingRedDevil/status/848831070548049920

Should DeGea go in the summer I'd be happy out for Romero to be given a crack at the job for a season at least. It's not like we've been leaning on DeGea this season like have previously. Johnstone would be good enough as back up imo.

Did you hear the audio or see the video of it? Just wondering because I read the headlines myself this morning, thinking the worst and that the poor bugger had finally cracked, and then I saw the video. It was no more a threat than it was a marriage proposal. It's getting blown out of proportion, as usual.

Yes, an apology since it has gotten attention and caused a few headlines, but it seems that people are rushing to get offended by something they think happened rather than what actually happened. In this day and age, you can't really say anything without offending someone.

Jayop wrote: »
    Should DeGea go in the summer I'd be happy out for Romero to be given a crack at the job for a season at least. It's not like we've been leaning on DeGea this season like have previously. Johnstone would be good enough as back up imo.

Ah. I don't know. Romero is a great second choice keeper but not sure I'd trust him. I wouldn't mind looking at Jordan Pickford when Sunderland go down. He's been impressive this season even for a bottom of the league team who let in a lot of goals.

As much as I like Romero, I'm torn on whether I'd be content to see him take up the number 1 spot at the club. Similar to how some fans feel about Rojo - No matter how well he plays, they still feel there is a fúck-up on the horizon. That's not to say they are right, or that one mistake will negate all the good he did before it, but they still have that feeling. I have that with Romero.

We have been relying less on DDG, but he has still made a few world class saves this season. Romero has made one or two himself as well as a lot of good stops while filling in. It could be one of those things where I wouldn't know how I really feel about it until I see it happen.

Ideally it's not a decision we'll have to make this Summer and is something just for wondering/talking about in here.

• Advertisement

Ah. I don't know. Romero is a great second choice keeper but not sure I'd trust him. I wouldn't mind looking at Jordan Pickford when Sunderland go down. He's been impressive this season even for a bottom of the league team who let in a lot of goals.

Romero has looked very very strong when he has played, kept a load of clean sheets. I can't remember now but I had looked it up for here a while back and his clean sheet to start ratio is unreal for United.

Did you hear the audio or see the video of it? Just wondering because I read the headlines myself this morning, thinking the worst and that the poor bugger had finally cracked, and then I saw the video. It was no more a threat than it was a marriage proposal. It's getting blown out of proportion, as usual.

Yes, an apology since it has gotten attention and caused a few headlines, but it seems that people are rushing to get offended by something they think happened rather than what actually happened. In this day and age, you can't really say anything without offending someone.

Yeah I have seen it and it was Moyes being his usual aggressive self. Except this time he done it in a passive aggressive patronising way. He is working for Sunderland and if you said that to any woman in a workplace you would be in front of HR being told to apologise, if you're lucky. For a man of his age it was absolutely stupid.

You are right, in this day and age you can't threaten to slap a woman without someone taking offense. Thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Romero has looked very very strong when he has played, kept a load of clean sheets. I can't remember now but I had looked it up for here a while back and his clean sheet to start ratio is unreal for United.

Opposition faced plays a huge part in that. I don't know, whenever I watch him it feels like he could be reasonably solid for most of a game and then make a huge fuck up out of nowhere.

Shaw is in the squad for tomorrow's game after clear the air talks with Jose according to the daily mail ...... he is saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That Moyes thing is some joke if you actually hear the audio, pathetic that with all the actual problems in the world there are people who go out of their way to be offended by that.

Its this **** that gives us "lefty liberals" a bad name.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

That Moyes thing is some joke if you actually hear the audio, pathetic that with all the actual problems in the world there are people who go out of their way to be offended by that.

Welcome to 2017, the year of the easily offended, hell the last 7 years really..

• Advertisement

Yeah I have seen it and it was Moyes being his usual aggressive self. Except this time he done it in a passive aggressive patronising way. He is working for Sunderland and if you said that to any woman in a workplace you would be in front of HR being told to apologise, if you're lucky. For a man of his age it was absolutely stupid.

You are right, in this day and age you can't threaten to slap a woman without someone taking offense. Thankfully.

You can bring all the business talk into it you like, but everyone's going to end up acting like robots with the way this shít is going.

If Moyes is as you say, he should be fúcked out on his hole and/or investigated, but because of this would be laughable. From now on he should keep his humour and off-camera rapport to the male journalists only and walk on eggshells around the females, but then somebody else will be offended.

Comparing this to a serious work incident or indicative of how Trump got into the White House is melodramatic.

Opposition faced plays a huge part in that. I don't know, whenever I watch him it feels like he could be reasonably solid for most of a game and then make a huge fuck up out of nowhere.

Yeah when I did look at it back then I remember acknowledging that he has faced a lot of weaker sides, but then that's the type of sides that Dave has been keeping clean sheets against too.

You can bring all the business talk into it you like, but everyone's going to end up acting like robots with the way this shít is going.

If Moyes is as you say, he should be fúcked out on his hole and/or investigated, but because of this would be laughable. From now on he should keep his humour and off-camera rapport to the male journalists only and walk on eggshells around the females, but then somebody else will be offended.

Comparing this to a serious work incident or indicative of how Trump got into the White House is melodramatic.

Jeez, Didn't mean to offend you! Can't say anything these days.

Anyway more United news is pogba is also in the squad for tomorrow's game. Only 3 confirmed absentees are Jones, smalling and Mata,

Jeez, Didn't mean to offend you! Can't say anything these days.

Once you don't disrespect my safe space we're good.

*attempts humour to diffuse any tension*

- Where David Moyes is from, it really is a term of endearment.

- In light of this, Jose will get a 3 match ban.

• Advertisement

Once you don't disrespect my safe space we're good.

*attempts humour to diffuse any tension*

- Where David Moyes is from, it really is a term of endearment.

- In light of this, Jose will get a 3 match ban.

:rolleyes: Stankflake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Rossi with a hat trick for Celta Vigo tonight, delighted to see him back playing and scoring. Always had high hopes for him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Exactly. Pickford should be nearly top of the list. Dont think id have total faith in Romero over the course of a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Romero as Utds no 1 is never a good idea what ever way you spin it.

Same as Valdes. Just not good enough.

Romero to me seems a much better option than Valdes was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was just looking at the fixture list there. This team should go on a winning run until April when we play Everton. This team has such an opportunity in its hands to really stamp down some authority, and have those above peering back. Top 4 within our hands and really should be putting more pressure on the top spot.

Utterly no confidence this team can navigate the fixture list until Everton, without slipping up.

Your crystal ball is in pretty good shape there, no doubt about that!

Everton shouldn't be a problem, they have a major weakness on the right side with Coleman injured and they are unlikely to park the bus a la West Brom. With Ibra back and Young and Valencia swinging in the crosses I'd be very surprised if it isn't a comfortable home win.

Your crystal ball is in pretty good shape there, no doubt about that!

Everton shouldn't be a problem, they have a major weakness on the right side with Coleman injured and they are unlikely to park the bus a la West Brom. With Ibra back and Young and Valencia swinging in the crosses I'd be very surprised if it isn't a comfortable home win.

Better shape than your life apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Better shape than your life apparently.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anderson Talisca,Kieran Tierney and Jan Oblak are the morning papers latest names linked with us.
    Tierney has been linked before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Shaw in the squad after talks with Jose. Good to see. Hope he has a great game tomorrow if given minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Shaw in the squad after talks with Jose. Good to see. Hope he has a great game tomorrow if given minutes.

I hope he gets a few minutes tomorrow atleast but I don't think it's likely. I reckon the crowd will support him massively if he comes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I hope he gets a few minutes tomorrow atleast but I don't think it's likely. I reckon the crowd will support him massively if he comes on

We are playing this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jayo26 wrote: »
    Shaw is in the squad for tomorrow's game after clear the air talks with Jose according to the daily mail ...... he is saved.

I'm of the opinion now that Jose has just the one trick in terms of "man management" and that it is going to be hit and miss. I didn't give him a shred of credit like many who seemed to fawn over the genius of the Mhiki situation, nor am I providing him any credit or confident in how he is dealing with Martial, Rashford or Shaw. We arn't challenging for a title, these players should be getting some room to grow and improve and reach their potential. He's already held his hands up and admitted a mistake with Schweinsteiger and he hardly gave the light of day to Memphis or Schneiderlan (who I don't know if anyone has been watching, Morgan has been great for Everton, and Memphis starting to ramp up to his pre United days already)

I'm actually pretty annoyed at how he is handling these situations, it's totally counter productive and he is squandering immense talent in his squad. And while no, it's not my money, it's still the club I support and you only need to look back to see the state he can leave some squads when he is gone.

This is starting down the Mourinho path. Where he ignores youth, has no time for developing players and will blow the bank signing a first team that will bring success, but have us in an absolute mess when he leaves.

Personally I think he is feeling the pressure and is going back to method, not trusting youth and will buy in established high quality players in the summer. And basically just again catching himself out with his bollox of sharing out that list (ironically of players most people have never heard of)

At the same time the club, Woodward and the board are the most culpable here. They allowed Van Gaal, a manager with a great track record with youth, acquire a squad that clearly needed time and seasons to develop and nurture but was going to be his vision, to then get passed over to someone totally different and nearly the opposite.

This is why I'm such an advocate of having the likes of a sporting director, someone acting as a safeguard to our squad building and development, and getting in managers that will fall in line with that. Starting to get to the level of transfer fees and squad building where I don't think you can safely trust a manager and manager alone with that sort of investment. And the club should be safeguarding itself a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

@giggsy11, just saw the humour thread where my stats are wrong. Apologies, i just posted the tweet without checking it.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    @giggsy11, just saw the humour thread where my stats are wrong. Apologies, i just posted the tweet without checking it.

No problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There have been rumours basically since Shaw signed that his attitude and commitment are crap. remember him turning up overweight that first season?

I would agree with you, Doc, on Mkhitaryan - I think Jose just ignored him after a poor performance and the player simply took his chance when he was givcen it again. I would also say Martial has simply played crap a lot this season and deserved to be dropped. Lingard, on the other hand, has worked his balls off every time and Mourinho has rewarded him with a consistent place in the side.

LVG criticised Shaw, Hodgson criticised him - and now Jose is too. I don't agree with the public way in which it is being done (counter productive to getting him to improve and hurts a potential transfer fee) - but at this stage I have got to think there is merit to the whispers that Shaw is a lazy worker and that is why he isn't in the team.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion now that Jose has just the one trick in terms of "man management" and that it is going to be hit and miss. I didn't give him a shred of credit like many who seemed to fawn over the genius of the Mhiki situation, nor am I providing him any credit or confident in how he is dealing with Martial, Rashford or Shaw. We arn't challenging for a title, these players should be getting some room to grow and improve and reach their potential. He's already held his hands up and admitted a mistake with Schweinsteiger and he hardly gave the light of day to Memphis or Schneiderlan (who I don't know if anyone has been watching, Morgan has been great for Everton, and Memphis starting to ramp up to his pre United days already)

I'm actually pretty annoyed at how he is handling these situations, it's totally counter productive and he is squandering immense talent in his squad. And while no, it's not my money, it's still the club I support and you only need to look back to see the state he can leave some squads when he is gone.

How do you know Jose didn't try other methods with Shaw? This is April and this is probably the last resort after trying everything.

One more myth about Jose and the state of the squad he leaves behind. His first Chelsea team maintained the same core and won plenty of trophies, his Madrid team won 2 CL in last 3 years, his Chelsea team are running away with PL title this season. Only his Inter team didn't win after he left.
    This is starting down the Mourinho path. Where he ignores youth, has no time for developing players and will blow the bank signing a first team that will bring success, but have us in an absolute mess when he leaves.

Again one more excuse used only against Jose. How many young players did Conte promote at Juventus? Or Ancelotti in his career? Or Pep at Bayern?

This season Rashford has played plenty of games. ManUtd are in very tough place, we have to be at the top as top priority. We can worry about young players later when we have team capable of supporting them or can carry them.
    Personally I think he is feeling the pressure and is going back to method, not trusting youth and will buy in established high quality players in the summer. And basically just again catching himself out with his bollox of sharing out that list (ironically of players most people have never heard of)

At the same time the club, Woodward and the board are the most culpable here. They allowed Van Gaal, a manager with a great track record with youth, acquire a squad that clearly needed time and seasons to develop and nurture but was going to be his vision, to then get passed over to someone totally different and nearly the opposite.

This is why I'm such an advocate of having the likes of a sporting director, someone acting as a safeguard to our squad building and development, and getting in managers that will fall in line with that. Starting to get to the level of transfer fees and squad building where I don't think you can safely trust a manager and manager alone with that sort of investment. And the club should be safeguarding itself a bit.

So you want to add 1 more role who undermines Manager? As good as DOF can be, it can be equally ****ty if everything goes south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Shaw was in our top 2 or 3 players for a couple of months before his injury, such a shame the impact it can have on one's career. No way I'd let him go in the summer, I felt at the time he was showing world class potential. He'll bounce back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There have been rumours basically since Shaw signed that his attitude and commitment are crap. remember him turning up overweight that first season?

I would agree with you, Doc, on Mkhitaryan - I think Jose just ignored him after a poor performance and the player simply took his chance when he was givcen it again. I would also say Martial has simply played crap a lot this season and deserved to be dropped. Lingard, on the other hand, has worked his balls off every time and Mourinho has rewarded him with a consistent place in the side.

LVG criticised Shaw, Hodgson criticised him - and now Jose is too. I don't agree with the public way in which it is being done (counter productive to getting him to improve and hurts a potential transfer fee) - but at this stage I have got to think there is merit to the whispers that Shaw is a lazy worker and that is why he isn't in the team.

Part of me simply cannot believe a player coming to Manchester United would behave like that, or think they can get away with it at a club that size.

Also considering the indicators on him from coaches and something I keep hearing about him is how he is an incredible athlete and his pace is breathtaking. Can't believe someone lazy would have those sort of traits?

Either or, I was never fully convinced by Shaw, but even at this stage I think the way he is being dealt with is piss poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Anyone apply for Europa League final tickets?

I got an email last night from UEFA to say that the payment process would start at 12pm today Swiss time for those who come out of the draw, but mail warned this was no indication of being succesful, just letting you know it might happen.

And I just looked now and the price of the tickets has just gone out of my account as a pending transfer out.
    So just wondering has this happened to others that applied?

Not sure if I've been succesful or it's just a precautionary thing...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement