Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

TheDoc wrote: »
    Also considering the indicators on him from coaches and something I keep hearing about him is how he is an incredible athlete and his pace is breathtaking. Can't believe someone lazy would have those sort of traits?

This has been labelled at countless wingers over the years what does having pace have to do with application on the training ground ? :confused:

Which is what is being questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The leaks to the media all criticized Van Gaal and Moyes' tactics, the players were apparently shackled by their tactics. Which is fair enough but to still be the case now and with the two new recruits Ibra and Mikki looking the pick of the bunch it looks as if the players who have been present for longer just aren't performing.

I don't think it's still the case now that they look that way. The play from the team has improved so much since Moyes and LVG's time, the team creates way more now than they did. So to me they look like those shackles are off.

And I don't agree that Miki looks the pick of the bunch. For me it's Ibra ahead, and then everyone else being around the same.
    Chelsea's usual front 5 have 13 more goals than ours, Liverpool 10, Spurs 17. Maybe it is just bad luck, Mikki and Martial have played half the minutes of the players in the teams ahead of us. I would sooner believe that 2 or 3 of our younger attacking players have had bad seasons and not been able to pull their weight than Mourinho has got his tactics this season wrong and not tried to change them in 8 months though. Maybe it is a combination of both, time will tell and Mourinho will get at least until December before he is in any trouble.

It's not just about Jose picking his tactics, or choosing to change them. There's training, player selection, finding the right combinations, squad building choices, relationships with players and so on. All those things affect how the tactics are implemented. For it all not to click in the first season is nothing unusual. I expect some of the younger players will improve in time and I expect Jose will improve in time, because it's just not strange for a manager to not get it all right in the first season.

On top of all that there is luck. Since we have been so regularly under scoring compared to expected goals this season, luck is very likely a factor too.

But when you read this thread, pretty much all you see is posters blaiming players and wanting them sold. Even when Jose's failure to establish a back-up big CF was so obviously a factor on Saturday, there was zero criticism of him.

• There have been posters who have criticized Jose all season inclduing me at times. Just saying

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    There have been posters who have criticized Jose all season inclduing me at times. Just saying

You were having a go at Martial and Rashford after the game on Saturday that you didn't even see. So when I'm talking about posters not being reasonable in how they blaim the players too much, that definitely fits that bill.

• Pro. F wrote: »
    You were having a go at Martial and Rashford after the game on Saturday that you didn't even see. So when I'm talking about posters not being reasonable in how they blaim the players too much, that definitely fits that bill.

I watched* the game after and they were still ****e

• Advertisement

I wanted the game after and they were still ****e

Before you had even seen the game you were having a go at specific players.

Before you had even seen the game you were having a go at specific players.

Off the back of what I read and heard and wasn't surprised.
    So what
    That goes inline with alot of there performances this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We have missed a host of easy chances this season.

We have created 13 chances per game, compared to 8.21 last season

And going by Squawka we have scored more goals on average, had 6 more shots on average, conceded less this season and DDG is saving less this season

Love to know the amount of clear cut chances nwe have missed this season compared to last

• We have missed a host of easy chances this season.

We have created 13 chances per game, compared to 8.21 last season

And going by Squawka we have scored more goals on average, had 6 more shots on average, conceded less this season and DDG is saving less this season

Love to know the amount of clear cut chances nwe have missed this season compared to last

It's ok though, it's Joses fault for not putting them in the net

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Anyone apply for Europa League final tickets?

I got an email last night from UEFA to say that the payment process would start at 12pm today Swiss time for those who come out of the draw, but mail warned this was no indication of being succesful, just letting you know it might happen.

And I just looked now and the price of the tickets has just gone out of my account as a pending transfer out.
    So just wondering has this happened to others that applied?

Not sure if I've been succesful or it's just a precautionary thing...

Nevermind, I got email confirmation. I'm going to Sweden(provided we get there)!! :D

Carry on with your debate!

• Advertisement

Off the back of what I read and heard and wasn't surprised.
    So what
    That goes inline with alot of there performances this season

If you are making your mind up about players' performances before you've even watched them then it shows that you are not forming objective opinions.

It's ok though, it's Joses fault for not putting them in the net

He has to take blame to extent and he is the manager, but its very frustrating watching player after player missing chance after chance.

Yes players have to take responsibility. Reminds me of Brian Kerr time in charge of Ireland in games against Israel. Missed host of easy chances, but Kerr took the flack

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

we on TV tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    we on TV tonight?

Bt Sports 1 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lord TSC wrote: »
    we on TV tonight?

BT

If you are making your mind up about players' performances before you've even watched them then it shows that you are not forming objective opinions.

That's great for you.
    I'm forming them off what I have watched all season but that's my business

• He has to take blame to extent and he is the manager, but its very frustrating watching player after player missing chance after chance.

Yes players have to take responsibility. Reminds me of Brian Kerr time in charge of Ireland in games against Israel. Missed host of easy chances, but Kerr took the flack

I have been criticising him as I said all season. For certain matches his squad selection and approach was poor and also some questionable subs which cost us points

I have been criticising him as I said all season. For certain matches his squad selection and approach was poor and also some questionable subs

Ya agree. He has to take blame, but we should have beaten Bournemouth and Burnley by double digits. Thats players fecking up.

Last season was just hopeless, this has been the most frustrating, but you can turn things around with the latter much quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Nevermind, I got email confirmation. I'm going to Sweden(provided we get there)!! :D

Same as that .Hopefully United do the business now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/MikeLUHG/status/848899151697936384

3rd this season for chances created,17th last season.

Just goes to show it's our finishing that's the problem,the rest is pretty OK.

• Advertisement

• Match thread zerks...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MikeLUHG/status/848899151697936384

3rd this season for chances created,17th last season.

Just goes to show it's our finishing that's the problem,the rest is pretty OK.

If we can fix the finishing issue, we'll be flying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jose cant be blameless lads but when you see some of the chances missed by rashford,martial and miki over the course if the season it is as much to do with the player...

miki had a good chance against West Brom he should of don't better with and some close headers and various shots.

I can't see how they ain't training on shooting I doubt the staff are skipping the obvious.

The one obvious thing from the weekends game was when the opposition are camped in the box defending we don't seem to have the intelligence of pulling off quick one two passes everything we try seems to end up with the defender that's something that needs to be worked on apart from improving finishing.

Match thread zerks...

It'll be the nearest I'll get to the game tonight.:(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103118741#post103118741

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

yabadabado wrote: »
    Same as that .Hopefully United do the business now.

I'm going too!! Really hope Utd can kick on now and get there, it's written in the script for Zlatan!!

jayo26 wrote: »
    Jose cant be blameless lads but when you see some of the chances missed by rashford,martial and miki over the course if the season it is as much to do with the player...

miki had a good chance against West Brom he should of don't better with and some close headers and various shots.

I can't see how they ain't training on shooting I doubt the staff are skipping the obvious.

The one obvious thing from the weekends game was when the opposition are camped in the box defending we don't seem to have the intelligence of pulling off quick one two passes everything we try seems to end up with the defender that's something that needs to be worked on apart from improving finishing.

Converting chances into goals is very prone to variance. Just compare these two tables: goals scored and chances created

But for expected goals we are about 5th. Expected goals is chances created adjusted for the quality of the types of chances. So we are converting less than you'd normally expect, but not so much less like the chances created stat makes it look.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Converting chances into goals is very prone to variance. Just compare these two tables: goals scored and chances created

But for expected goals we are about 5th. Expected goals is chances created adjusted for the quality of the types of chances. So we are converting less than you'd normally expect, but not so much less as the chances created stat makes it look.

Maybe I'm missing something but that just tells me we are sh1t at finishing which i already know.

Here is something I looked at on sqwaka and its not to say oh luverpool are best or we are as good as them at attacking its just showing that stats wise it all comes down to not converting shots on goal and I picked them because they are top scorers l.

20170405_141823.png

There is not much difference in passing or forward passing or backwards or shots but the massive difference is nearly one goal a game scored.

We take nearly one long shot extra a game but that's not that much harm when you see how close pogba has come with a few long shots hitting the bar.

• When I see a player miss multiple 1v1s I will blame the players composure in front of goal.
    Spotted it for England too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

MooShop wrote: »
    I'm going too!! Really hope Utd can kick on now and get there, it's written in the script for Zlatan!!

i havent got email confirmation but credit crd has been charged...dont know if i want to go though, have alot of things on around then

i havent got email confirmation but credit crd has been charged...dont know if i want to go though, have alot of things on around then

I reckon I'll go either way, though I have tickets for the Kell Brook v Errol Spence Jr fight in Sheffield on May 27 as well.

Will need to sit down and do the maths to see if I can afford both........fingers crossed! :o

if am to go, id only do the one night, flights and accomodation will be very expensive, defo wont go if united not in it

Log into your UEFA account will show if your application was successful or not.
    if am to go, id only do the one night, flights and accomodation will be very expensive, defo wont go if united not in it

Accommodation is reasonable. I got a twin room in city centre for €120 with free cancellation. Book a room now and cancel whenever you decide on going or not.
    Flights arent too bad if you aren't fussy on times and having a layover.

yeah application on portal said succcessful, just havent got email yet...will look into it but have couple weddings in may and june so dont know what to do!

yeah application on portal said succcessful, just havent got email yet...will look into it but have couple weddings in may and june so dont know what to do!

Unless its a very close friend or relative I would go. It be worth missing a wedding if United got to a final, trust me

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Accommodation is reasonable. I got a twin room in city centre for €120 with free cancellation. Book a room now and cancel whenever you decide on going or not.
    Flights arent too bad if you aren't fussy on times and having a layover.

If you don't mind me asking, did you book a hotel/airbnb? Been browsing airbnb, not really fussy but not sure about the other lads. Ideally I'd like to have everything booked in the next day or two.

Mark Ogden saying Jose wants to extend Fellaini's contract.

Bangkok will need therapy if this happens.:p

• zerks wrote: »

Love him to stay. So versatile. Great player to have and has shown to have an excellent attitude.
    Extra bonus for pissing off Pool fans for my amusement.

Yeah I'd be happy for fellaini to stay he has his uses and Bangkok seems to have taken to him lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Yeah I'd be happy for fellaini to stay he has his uses and Bangkok seems to have taken to him lately.

He seems to have cooled a bit for sure.

Fellaini was one of the few players who could hold their head up after the game on Saturday.

• Advertisement

MooShop wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, did you book a hotel/airbnb? Been browsing airbnb, not really fussy but not sure about the other lads. Ideally I'd like to have everything booked in the next day or two.
    I booked a hotel in Sodermalm area.There or Gamla Stan had plenty of reasonable prices.Both areas are city centre.

Book now and cancel if United don't make it to final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Its like when yer mate gets a new dog and it pisses you by humping your leg incessantly for the first couple of months.

After a while the little rascal grows on you but you still tell yer mate to keep him in the utility room when you are there but you are really secretly happy when he bounds over to you to say hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Its like when yer mate gets a new dog and it pisses you by humping your leg incessantly for the first couple of months.

After a while the little rascal grows on you but you still tell yer mate to keep him in the utility room when you are there but you are really secretly happy when he bounds over to you to say hello.

Is this analogy about Fellaini or Bangkok? :D

Maybe I'm missing something but that just tells me we are sh1t at finishing which i already know.

Here is something I looked at on sqwaka and its not to say oh luverpool are best or we are as good as them at attacking its just showing that stats wise it all comes down to not converting shots on goal and I picked them because they are top scorers l.

There is not much difference in passing or forward passing or backwards or shots but the massive difference is nearly one goal a game scored.

We take nearly one long shot extra a game but that's not that much harm when you see how close pogba has come with a few long shots hitting the bar.

What I was trying to highlight with those two tables is how relatively little correlation there is between chances created and goals. We're in second for chances, but seventh for goals. Spurs are third for chances, but fifth for goals. Chelsea are seventh for chances, but third for goals. Arsenal are sixth for chances, but second for goals. Finishing is really prone to variance. "Shít at finishing" isn't always the explanation. Luck does actually play a big part.

And when you look at expected goals (which while still prone to variance, is less so than chances created) we are only fifth, so the finishing hasn't been as bad as it may appear.

What I was trying to highlight with those two tables is how relatively little correlation there is between chances created and goals. We're in second for chances, but seventh for goals. Spurs are third for chances, but fifth for goals. Chelsea are seventh for chances, but third for goals. Arsenal are sixth for chances, but second for goals. Finishing is really prone to variance. "Shít at finishing" isn't always the explanation. Luck does actually play a big part.

And when you look at expected goals (which while still prone to variance, is less so than chances created) we are only fifth, so the finishing hasn't been as bad as it may appear.

Well it has when you compare shots taken to shots scored.

We are pretty even with Liverpool on all attacking play but we are down nearly one goal a game.

Now that may not sound like much but even 4 extra goals scored over the course if this season could mean 12 extra points.

So while finishing is not as bad as it looks it is still the biggest difference between us fighting for top four and been comfortable in top for fighting for possibly first.

Unless its a very close friend or relative I would go. It be worth missing a wedding if United got to a final, trust me

Got confirmation email there, yeah it is a close friend, booked a hotel for 150e with free cancellation, will see how we get on with anderlecht before looking more into it

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Very jealous boys, hope to fk we get there

W0MIcoJ.png

Well it has when you compare shots taken to shots scored.

We are pretty even with Liverpool on all attacking play but we are down nearly one goal a game.

Now that may not sound like much but even 4 extra goals scored over the course if this season could mean 12 extra points.

So while finishing is not as bad as it looks it is still the biggest difference between us fighting for top four and been comfortable in top for fighting for possibly first.

We are not at all pretty even with Liverpool on all attacking play. Before the games on the weekend Liverpool had an xG of 53.7 compared to our 46.2 (link).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

zerks wrote: »

I think Ogden didn't get the memo.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2017/Jan/marouane-fellaini-extends-contract-at-manchester-united.aspx

We are not at all pretty even with Liverpool on all attacking play. Before the games on the weekend Liverpool had an xG of 53.7 compared to our 46.2 (link).

What's xG?

Ok expected goals im not going to even discuss it because I don't even believe it's a proper statistic and that's not been smart I just don't see the point of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement