Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

expected goals I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Mars Bar wrote: »
    expected goals I think

Ha yeh it is i had to google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

jayo26 wrote: »
    What's xG?

Ok expected goals im not going to even discuss it because I don't even believe it's a proper statistic and that's not been smart I just don't see the point of it.

The point of it is that not all shots are equal. In the data that you are looking at you make no differentiation between a contested header from 18 yards out off a long ball and a two yard tap in with no 'keeper in the way. That's why you've ended up concluding that our attacking play has been pretty even with Liverpool's.

Pro. F wrote: »
    The point of it is that not all shots are equal. In the data that you are looking at you make no differentiation between a contested header from 18 yards out off a long ball and a two yard tap in with no 'keeper in the way. That's why you've ended up concluding that our attacking play has been pretty even with Liverpool's.

The that's a fair point but then ill go on what I've seen from the season so far and ill still say our finishing has been crap and I don't need expected goals to tell me it isn't.

I give up.

Ok so forget any statistics then what are you saying? Your saying that it's not the finishing at fault entirely but that its as much down to the managers tactics?

Ok so forget any statistics then what are you saying? Your saying that it's not the finishing at fault entirely but that its as much down to the managers tactics?

I had deleted that post, but this is fine.

Aside from the point about the different stats, I'm saying that finishing is very prone to luck and people shouldn't be drawing too many conclusions from the supposedly poor finishing.

I had deleted that post, but this is fine.

Aside from the point about the different stats, I'm saying that finishing is very prone to luck and people shouldn't be drawing too many conclusions from the supposedly poor finishing.

It is down to luck at times but you also make your own luck. Liverpool been the top scorers in the league is not down to luck its down to more then one player been able to finish chances.

If after watching United all this season and you think it's only supposedly poor finishing well I really do give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

0-0 final score 11-1 on paddy power interesting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Tbh coming into these two home games id have hoped for 6 points but would have taken 4 as long as we win tonight top 4 is still on, drop points tonight and i think that will be all she wrote players will be rested for Europa then so give these a hiding tonight and beat sunderland on sunday and were right back in the mix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

0-0 final score 11-1 on paddy power interesting....

Always go "No Goalscorer"

Its usually same odds but if they're a OG scored you still win.

Small chance of it happening but it does come up the odd time

It is down to luck at times but you also make your own luck. Liverpool been the top scorers in the league is not down to luck its down to more then one player been able to finish chances.

No, it's down to them creating a good number and quality of chances. They've also probably had a bit of luck go there way too. On the other hand we have been less good at creating and have also probably been unlucky in converting.
    If after watching United all this season and you think it's only supposedly poor finishing well I really do give up.

I am not saying that finishing has not been a problem this season, I am just pointing out that you can't draw too many conclusions from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

That lineup doesn't fill me with optimism, Everton are a tough team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

paulbok wrote: »
    Is this analogy about Fellaini or Bangkok? :D

Hah, the dog of course.

People may not always agree with him but he's a sound fella. That's what I like about this thread. We can disagree with each other, strongly in some instances but it has never descended into the level of bullying needle seen in other threads. One of my favourite threads on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I've De Gea & Lukaku in my Fantasy Football team, who cancels who out on me points wise.

• Advertisement

Zlatan "lion's they don't compare themselves to humans" when asked why he didn't name himself as the best striker in to the league haha.

• That lineup doesn't fill me with optimism, Everton are a tough team
    Why so?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Why so?

From a pure skill level, it's probably not massively strong. Carrick/Fellaini rarely works together, Lingard and Rashford don't fill me with massive confidence, and Young is Young.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    From a pure skill level, it's probably not massively strong. Carrick/Fellaini rarely works together, Lingard and Rashford don't fill me with massive confidence, and Young is Young.

I'd give Lingard some credit and I've been his biggest critic. He's being doing better than Rashford & Martial and has been providing more of a threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I've De Gea & Lukaku in my Fantasy Football team, who cancels who out on me points wise.

Best situation, utd win 3-1 de gea saves a baines peno, lukaku scores, de gea gets 3 assists and 3 bonus points :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Why so?

I don't think Lingard and Rashford are good wingers. Valencia being out will add to that. Pogba, Miki, Martial on the bench, first choice starters.

I guess I'm extra pessimistic cause I'm tired of us fecking it up every home game when it's a "must win".

Rooney fading into the memory at this stage. Not in the squad. "Ankle injury"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd give Lingard some credit and I've been his biggest critic. He's being doing better than Rashford & Martial and has been providing more of a threat.

Credit where it's due...I don't believe he's good enough for our first team, and think his skill level is where it is. BUT he absolutely plays his heart out, has a brilliant attitude and I understand completely why Jose trusts him over Martial or Mkhi. His best may not be amazing, but you can always trust him to try to give his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rashford has looked better out wide so happy with him there. Gives him more of a chance to open his legs out there and he's a fairly intellegent footballer.

With Lingard on the other side I like setting up like that with two pacey wide players.

Robbie Savage hasn't stopped moaning about Fellaini since the match started. Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

adox wrote: »
    Robbie Savage hasn't stopped moaning about Fellaini since the match started. Ugh.

He is a nuisance and can barely form a sentence . A poor man's Dunphy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

ffs..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Sweet Jesus.

Poor from De Gea and Rojo.

The weakest part of De Geas game shown up right there.

Glad didn't go with that bet.....

I did go with another one though and hoffenhiem are beating bayern!

Oh ya and where losing shock horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Not surprised anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

The team tonight is lacking serious quality. In an attacking sense, apart from Zlatan, not much genuine threat. A lot of huff and puff but not much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprise surprise

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

BenK wrote: »
    The team tonight is lacking serious quality. In an attacking sense, apart from Zlatan, not much genuine threat. A lot of huff and puff but not much else.

Could of swore I heard more then once in here this season that we had one best if not best squads in league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Just can't see this team scoring two goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

adox wrote: »
    Poor from De Gea and Rojo.

The weakest part of De Geas game shown up right there.

Yeah they shod have dealt with that easily enough.

Fellaini no10 mkhitarayan on the bench. Baby jesus is crying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

good chance with this free kick...

bangkok wrote: »

it's typical Mourinho....defensive first plus he's an asset for set pieces...
    Mkh will come on later when Everton are tired...

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »

Miki was utter muck at the weekend and can have no complaints.
    Your agenda is so tiresome and boring at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Feel it's going to be one of those nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

KH25 wrote: »

Whats that now, the 8-10th time this god damn ****ing season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Execution of some of the most basic of tasks has been such a struggle at times this season.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

KH25 wrote: »

It's deserved luck tho. Happening all year, record is so bad I don't even expect home wins anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Could of swore I heard more then once in here this season that we had one best if not best squads in league!

While I wouldn't agree with that, there are players that should be offering more than they are, i.e Mikhi, Martial etc.

• Advertisement

Everton's passing as been poor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,766 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Have Utd had a shot on target yet?

• mada999 wrote: »
    Everton's passing as has been poor...

Wrong thread I'd say also :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Have Utd had a shot on target yet?

the free kick and Rashford's shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,766 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Wow, one shot from a free kick at home.

How exactly is this any better than last year?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement