Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Disgraceful refereeing performance yet again. Really need to up our performance levels for the run in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Only three home games left.

Away to arsenal, city and spurs.

Europa League it is.

Yeh for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Van Gaal had 2 more points at this stage in his first season.

9 home draws now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Flucking awful stuff. The team really are clueless at this stage and so easy to play against at Old Trafford.

The rest of the season is more or less a right off now league wise and I wouldn't have much confidence in winning the Europa League.

Jose has to carry a lot of the blame but so do the players. You just feel we have a collection of spineless players bar one or two.

If I never see Blind in a Utd shirt again I'll be happy.

Jose really needs to re-evaluate what he's doing. its been awful for a good few weeks now.

We all know this squad is underachieving but I'd be of the opinion that there are plenty there that aren't good enough.

The one positive from tonight was the return to form of Bailly.

Rojo just isn't good enough to be a regular starter at CB.

Oh and Rashford and Lingard seemed to disappear in the second half. Long before we were lumping it into the box.

We have a habit of making any team looking decent no matter how bad they are.

Too slow. Too slow. Too slow.

Another special word for yet another awful refereeing display. Gutless and cowardly.

Special mention for De Gea who as well was cowardly with his decisions.

adox wrote: »
    Flucking awful stuff. The team really are clueless at this stage and so easy to play against at Old Trafford.

The rest of the season is more or less a right off now league wise and I wouldn't have much confidence in winning the Europa League.

Jose has to carry a lot of the blame but so do the players. You just feel we have a collection of spineless players bar one or two.

If I never see Blind in a Utd shirt again I'll be happy.

Jose really needs to re-evaluate what he's doing. its been awful for a good few weeks now.

We all know this squad is underachieving but I'd be of the opinion that there are plenty there that aren't good enough.

The one positive from tonight was the return to form of Bailly.

Rojo just isn't good enough to be a regular starter at CB.

Oh and Rashford and Lingard seemed to disappear in the second half. Long before we were lumping it into the box.

We have a habit of making any team looking decent no matter how bad they are.

Too slow. Too slow. Too slow.

Another special word for yet another awful refereeing display. Gutless and cowardly.

Special mention for De Gea who as well was cowardly with his decisions.

Shaw was decent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

So who of the current crop is still at United in 3 years?

Not many. Bailly, Pogba (cos he cost so much)..

Presume De Gea will leave and couldn't blame him.

struggling after that.

struggling after that.

If we got our money back on Pogba now I'd take it and invest it in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

struggling after that.

Fellaini and Ashley Young seem to survive everything, Carrick will prob still be a starter.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Fellaini and Ashley Young seem to survive everything, Carrick will prob still be a starter.

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The only positive I can take from that was Shaw. When he came on and got the ball he looked dangerous. Would have liked to see him get to the byline but with them so deep it was nearly impossible.

What impressed me though was when the ball came to him at halfway his first touch was with the outside of the left flicking it about 8 feet forward to charge onto it. Showed some fight and bottle. Hopeful he gets another game soon and not relegated to the stands as usual.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Van Gaal had 2 more points at this stage in his first season.

9 home draws now.

He has inherited a squad full of league winners.
    And then ripped it apart and never replaced it.

Himself and Moyes, along with the board have (metaphorical) blood on their hands in this whole debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Story of our season at home. We're just too predictable and look clueless when playing against a team that is compact and sits deep with men behind the ball.

Herrera, Bailly and Shaw to a certain extent when he came on were the only positives. It would be great if Shaw could kick on now and nail down that lb position. It's not like he has a massive amount of competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Only three home games left.

Thank fck for that, only 3 more draws so:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Laughing at the random usernames popping in to remind us we aren't doing that well.

Don't worry lads, we ****ín know!

Nightmare scenario is make the Europa final and go a goal down. Forcing penalties is all you'd hope for then!!

• Advertisement

• Few more sups on a work night. **** it. Need it after that result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Watford beat West Brom 2-0 Liverpool beat Everton no bother.

I dunno what is going on with our attacking play its gotten worse as the season has went on.

The tempo is a lot different to Van Gaals team but the finishing is awful and we lack a cutting edge.

I mean Ibra is a world class forward and hes missed more chances then anyone this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What do people put this down to.

On paper, at the start of the season, Utd we're tipped for the title, at least be very close.

Now we are struggling to even get draws at home and 4th place looks a hope rather than anything more and EL is being touted as the best change to luck our way to the CL next year.

Is it the players? I mean, looking at the roster, most teams would kill for our players.
    Is it the manager? Has Jose made anything better?

I don't understand how a team can continue to keep spending such vast amounts of money and at best stay the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Before the game even started most here looked at the line up and it wasnt good.

Fellaini no 10 is the biggest joke of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

bangkok wrote: »

Been better than Pogba the last few months but he is over 23 so that doesnt count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Seriously I know Pogba is back from injury but fcuk me he has been useless this season. He had about 5 games were he was good . Not world class just good .

Miki is similar but he was outstanding in his good games .

I'd be more interested in wingers for next season . People seem to forget that Martial and rashford are strikers. Miki is more of a central player. Leaving us with literally zero actual wingers.

Our entire defense probably needs to be sold although I'd keep smalling.

Herrera is a work horse but offers very little bar a few good crosses.

I still think rooney has something to offer also . I thought he has played well over the past few months . Another thing people forget is that rooney is a striker . I remember a few years ago when Fergie first played him in midfield he said he didn't like it but that's just forgotten​ about now by everyone and it's excepted that he's a midfielder .

Anyways, the season is virtually over as we can forget about top four . We haven't been in it 90% of the season so i highly doubt that will change. We don't deserve it either. We haven't won 15 out of 29 games so far.

Our only hope is Europa league and English teams have been dreadful in Europe the last few years so i actually think it's less likely we win that then make top four.

W L W D D D D W W W D D W D D D.

Home form (cut from Mitten tweet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I can't be the only one whom was completely unimpressed with Luke Shaw???

The man never took on a defender , crossed too soon and didn't show for the ball enough ! I think too many people on here with fairytale tainted glasses on !

bangkok wrote: »

The night is bad enough go away

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I don't understand how a team can continue to keep spending such vast amounts of money and at best stay the same.

I mean, I really dislike the money argument on the back of you really can't attribute LVG's and Moyes' spending poorly to Jose. LVG particularly bought players for a completely different philosophy.

I feel like a broken record here. In a way, I'm not any more annoyed tonight than with other games, because the problem was identified weeks/months ago, and clearly wasn't fixable till the summer.

Tactically, I think we're lining up fine. We're pinning teams in their own box. Everton barely got the ball up the field in the second half. We hit the post twice (three times) and forced good saves two or three times.

Our problem seems to be that we have players who are either capable of great things but have bad attitudes, or have great attitudes but aren't capable of being great. We're set up to absolutely dominate games, not just in terms of possession but actually getting shots off, but we seem to lack composure to finish the chances we're making. For me, Jose just can't put the ball into the back of the net, so I really do put it down as a player problem. Once again I say, get to summer, actually rebuild and get rid of deadweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Jayop wrote: »
    The only positive I can take from that was Shaw. When he came on and got the ball he looked dangerous. Would have liked to see him get to the byline but with them so deep it was nearly impossible.

What impressed me though was when the ball came to him at halfway his first touch was with the outside of the left flicking it about 8 feet forward to charge onto it. Showed some fight and bottle. Hopeful he gets another game soon and not relegated to the stands as usual.

I hope Jose starts Shaw on Sunday v Sunderland.Get an hour+ out of him and see how he goes,he is by far the best LB option when fit/on form.
    He isnt going to get an easier game all year than Sunderland,Jose laid down the gaunlet to him and now give him a chance to prove himself.
    He was a highlight for the 30 mins he was on,tried to be postive whenever he got the ball.

IMO de gea zlatan rooney carrick young will be all gone this summer. Major investment needed on the squad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

struggling after that.

Depends who comes in after Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Have Ibra and Rooney played up front at all this season?

I no there would be no pace but still i think Rooney would of chipped in with a lot more goals had he been played in his actual position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

Shocking to see us fall back again in the PL. We've showed glimpses of promise this year but we're still a decent distance away from a title challenge with this squad.

No doubt the cheque book will be open again during the Summer but we can't keep spending to cover the cracks in this team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The man never took on a defender , crossed too soon and didn't show for the ball enough ! I think too many people on here with fairytale tainted glasses on !

He started well, overlapping down the left but the ball in was ****, I think a lot of his crossing was poor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Shaw looked decent but it was an easy game for him to come in. He didn't need to defend and could attack all night and not have to worry. Some of his final balls were very average.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Jose's not really an attacking coach is he? He just can't seem to get this squad trying anything new to break down a team. As for Pogbar being unlucky? No, its just poor finishing now.

These back to back draws really puts pressure on us for top four, it doesn't mean its totally unattainable but any other losses during the run and its then gone.

Its is gone imo though, time to put everything into the Europe League now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Have to agree mostly. But will give the benefit of doubt considering he hasnt been playing.

The biggest concern has to be the quality of crosses going into the box from all players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

KH25 wrote: »
    To be fair, it's not Fellaini's fault we're losing. That's 100% DDG and Rojo. We looked ok until we conceded.

Wouldn't blame de Gea for the Everton goal. Fellani completely lost Williams for the header and Rojo poor on jagelka.
    If Fellani competes in The air then it wouldn't have happened

I no there would be no pace but still i think Rooney would of chipped in with a lot more goals had he been played in his actual position.

Rooney is history at this stage. He played too many games this season as it was imo but if there's one thing Jose has done very well this season is phase him out of the first team without anyone batting an eye lid.

• niallo27 wrote: »
    Shaw looked decent but it was an easy game for him to come in. He didn't need to defend and could attack all night and not have to worry. Some of his final balls were very average.

That's a confidence thing.
    He still provides an attacking threat, but his fitness is always going to be questioned.
    He only got a chance because Young got injured.

• Jose's not really an attacking coach is he? He just can't seem to get this squad trying anything new to break down a team. As for Pogbar being unlucky? No, its just poor finishing now.

These back to back draws really puts pressure on us for top four, it doesn't mean its totally unattainable but any other losses during the run and its then gone.

Its is gone imo though, time to put everything into the Europe League now.

Nice to see you back dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

They both started against Swansea away, can't remember if Rooney was up front though. We scored 3 goals that game, hard to see that happening now :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jose's not really an attacking coach is he? He just can't seem to get this squad trying anything new to break down a team.

I mean though, what can he do? Genuine question here; this problem has haunted us for a while now, even pre-Jose. Tonight, we tried passing it round, we tried lumping it in, tried some set pieces. I'm never sure whats the best course against teams that park the bus.

Again, genuine question; do other teams have that issue? I feel when I watch Liverpool or City or them, it never seems to be the same tactics against them...

Robson99 wrote: »
    Wouldn't blame de Gea for the Everton goal. Fellani completely lost Williams for the header and Rojo poor on jagelka.

I agree about Fellaini and Rojo being poor for the goal but so was De Gea. He's a bit of a coward when it comes to leaving his line. He's inviting trouble staying on his line when the ball is three yards out. He should have come for that ball no doubt. It was madness not to and something he did a couple of times.

It's a major flaw in his game. He has everything else but there's no getting away from that fault and it was p1ss poor goal keeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Fellaini was blocked off.

It was an unfortunate goal to concede imo.

Conceding the odd goal like that wouldn't be an issue if we were creating more clear cut chances and taking the few that do come our way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Shaw looked okay because he came on and tried to do things with a bit of urgency even if he didn't contribute much. He played as if we were 1-0 down at home to what should be a far inferior team, most of the other players didn't get the memo.

No idea what Pogba does in the team that a 10 million midfielder can't, just underwhelmed with him overall. We were robbed with the price, if he had never left United and put in performances like he has this season we would be wondering what big money player we could buy to replace him. Irony.

Again I'm not sure what Jose can do, we get in positions to create good quality chances but fluff our lines. No amount of changing tactics will change that.

On Shaw I thought he did prett well and was one of the better crossers of the ball before we resorted to lumping it in.

He did fine. Didn't have much defending to do and looked confident enough on the ball. A little rusty but to be expected.

It was actually nice to have someone playing at left back after having to endure Blind for 45 minutes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Fellaini was blocked off.

It was an unfortunate goal to concede imo.

Conceding the odd goal like that wouldn't be an issue if we were creating more clear cut chances and taking the few that do come our way.

Fellani was terrible for the goal. He shouldn't be losing his man that easily. The only reason he in the team is for set pieces and hes even **** on those

• Advertisement

Fellaini was pushed and then blocked off by an Everton player so I wouldnt be too harsh on him

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I mean though, what can he do? Genuine question here; this problem has haunted us for a while now, even pre-Jose. Tonight, we tried passing it round, we tried lumping it in, tried some set pieces. I'm never sure whats the best course against teams that park the bus.

Again, genuine question; do other teams have that issue? I feel when I watch Liverpool or City or them, it never seems to be the same tactics against them...

Its always the same but they have better players in attacking positions. Fellaini was our no 10 tonight and then most of 2nd half up front. He is not exactly going to play any through balls or do a bit of magic like coutinho or de bruyne would for the 2 teams you named above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Fellani was terrible for the goal. He shouldn't be losing his man that easily. The only reason he in the team is for set pieces and hes even **** on those

Take a break man. He's the best pressing tackler that is there in midfield.

Liam O wrote: »
    Take a break man. He's the best pressing tackler that is there in midfield.

And people wonder why we are so ****...

Again I'm not sure what Jose can do, we get in positions to create good quality chances but fluff our lines. No amount of changing tactics will change that.

Do we though? I think it's being overstated and the lack of finishing is being overplayed. What clear cut chances did we actually creat tonight? Ibras miss. I can't remember many more that weren't a set piece or a bounce of the ball in the box.

If it was only finishing that was missing I wouldn't be overly concerned. The inability of the team to open a team up and creat clear cut chances is very worrying. The tempo of the play is very worrying. Players hiding is very worrying. Jose saying that the team showed great heart in the second half is worrying.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement