Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Robson99 wrote: »
    Fellani was terrible for the goal. He shouldn't be losing his man that easily. The only reason he in the team is for set pieces and hes even **** on those

This is more nonsense. You honestly believe he's only in the team for set pieces?
    Even accounting for that, he makes one mistake and so he is now ****e at that?

He's the least culpable of the three Utd players that were at fault for the goal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Liam O wrote: »
    Take a break man. He's the best pressing tackler that is there in midfield.
    He wouldn't lace Herrera's boots in that department
    We will never win a league while Fellani blind Rojo young are making our starting 11

• adox wrote: »
    Do we though? I think it's being overstated and the lack of finishing is being overplayed. What clear cut chances did we actually creat tonight? Ibras miss. I can't remember many more that weren't a set piece or a bounce of the ball in the box.

If it was only finishing that was missing I wouldn't be overly concerned. The inability of the team to open a team up and creat clear cut chances is very worrying. The tempo of the play is very worrying. Players hiding is very worrying. Jose saying that the team showed great heart in the second half is worrying.

In the last two games maybe this is a plausible argument, but lads try take the whole season into consideration. It sounds knee jerk again.
    There have been countless clear cut chances throughout the season that have been missed, it's not in the imagination.

bangkok wrote: »
    Its always the same but they have better players in attacking positions. Fellaini was our no 10 tonight and then most of 2nd half up front. He is not exactly going to play any through balls or do a bit of magic like coutinho or de bruyne would for the 2 teams you named above

How about at the weekend so? What's your excuse for that?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

With away games against Arsenal, Spurs, City and Southampton as well as a home game against Chelsea in ye're last 9, what do ye think are the realistic chances of getting to a total like 75 points that gives ye a good chance of 4th?

Personally I think it's probably a good thing for ye that ye are playing twice as many away as there seems to be an anxiousness at home that isn't there away, but it is a tough set of fixtures, and getting 20-21 points from the last 27 (which might not even be enough, but I suspect it will) is a very tough ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Liam O wrote: »
    Take a break man. He's the best pressing tackler that is there in midfield.

I despair when I see Fellaini start for united. He would not get into any of the teams above us. Says it all really.
    Just saw Mourinho more or less say Shaw is a thick cnut. How is that supposed to help the player ?
    :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

secman wrote: »
    Just saw Mourinho more or less say Shaw is a thick cnut. How is that supposed to help the player ?

He tried the "good cop" routine a few weeks back. Obviously didnt get the result he wanted. So now trying the "bad cop" one.

5starpool wrote: »
    With away games against Arsenal, Spurs, City and Southampton as well as a home game against Chelsea in ye're last 9, what do ye think are the realistic chances of getting to a total like 75 points that gives ye a good chance of 4th?

Personally I think it's probably a good thing for ye that ye are playing twice as many away as there seems to be an anxiousness at home that isn't there away, but it is a tough set of fixtures, and getting 20-21 points from the last 27 (which might not even be enough, but I suspect it will) is a very tough ask.

I think it's fair to say most on here thought we only had an outside chance of top 4 long before tonight. The last two games really have cemented any doubt I had that we won't finish in the top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Utd are the gang that couldn't shoot straight but knowing why is the mystery, people say you can't blame the manager for strikers not being able to score and yet there must be something going on in training week in, week out to inhibit clear thinking and being able to "see" the goal when the decisive moment arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I despair when I see Fellaini start for united. He would not get into any of the teams above us. Says it all really.

Thats where Mourinho lacks a bit of class. Blames the young players. It wasn't something Fergie did but Mourinho just loves to hang them out

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    In the last two games maybe this is a plausible argument, but lads try take the whole season into consideration. It sounds knee jerk again.
    There have been countless clear cut chances throughout the season that have been missed, it's not in the imagination.

I'm talking about the last few weeks Mick. I don't think I'm being knee jerk if I see a trend.

I was also responding to the point that once again we created loads of clear cut chances and just didn't finish them.

I agree we have misssed loads of chances earlier in the season but we seem to have run out of ideas.

But you think each of the other 10/13 would?

Even for the usuals on here that go out of their way to blame Fellaini for everything I find it bizzare that the finger is being pointed at him tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Fellani was terrible for the goal. He shouldn't be losing his man that easily. The only reason he in the team is for set pieces and hes even **** on those
    He was clearly blocked. 3 minor incidents that culminated in a pretty fortunate goal for Everton.

Our defence was rocky enough this evening but was not the primary reason we failed to win the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I don't really see the need for a massive overhaul or rebuild of the squad as some here have suggested. What concerns me watching United in these games is that I don't think signing new players will fix the problem. Other teams just seem so content to come to OT,sit back, kill the game and take a point. We have a first XI that is capable of ripping most teams in the league apart if they were to actually try and play us. Players like Martial, Mkhitaryan, Rashford, Lingard thrive on space where they can run at people or in behind people - Lingard's goal against Middlesbrough for example. Players like Pogba, Mata, Carrick are more effective when they can play passes in space. Ibrahimovic will obviously be more dangerous when defences are stretched and he isn't playing with his back to goal.

When teams sit back though and double up on our wingers, park DMs in front of their box, double or triple mark Ibrahimovic inside in the box it just nullifies everything. We're left to lumping in crosses, which - especially judging by tonight's evidence could do with a lot of improvement - but crossing the ball in from out wide is such an inefficient method of getting goals. More often than not there is more people defending the cross than attacking it, keepers can catch the ball and refs can't blow fast enough for off sides or any hint of a foul from an attacking player. Even if an attacking player meets the cross it doesn't always end up on target or powerful enough to result in a goal. When we're crossing the ball in games like tonight where the team is already sitting deep it's just so easy to defend. The box is already crowded with defenders who are static, ready, and holding a good shape.

Of course the players can improve things like crossing more accurately, moving the ball quicker and actually converting chances when they arrive but we've seen Chelsea and Inter Milan win Champions Leagues by completely nullifying superior sides like this. Those superior sides had better players than we do but when the opposition is determined to play like that there isn't always a lot they can do. That's why I don't see how running off and buying Griezmann and Lukaku and Sanchez will solve everything. We're still going to come up against a wall of defenders who are only interested in getting a point. There were probably many games like this under LVG last season where we probably thought if only we had quality like Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic, Pogba in the side we'd be scoring and winning more.We have those players and we're still struggling.

The obvious counter to all this is, why aren't the other top 6 sides able to beat these teams? That's something I don't know and something I've been trying to focus more on when I watch those games. How are these teams scoring their goals and creating good chances when we can't? Are smaller sides more defensive at OT than the Emirates, Stamford Bridge etc? I don't know. All I know when I watch United at the moment is that it's hard to see how new signings would make much of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

We could sign wingers with pace who'd look to run in behind a defence and create space for midfield to push on. We've none of those for a start. We don't have a DM, our striker is going to be 36 next year and we're playing a converted winger at RB. Other than that we good.

Our goalkeeper may go to Madrid, forgot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I mean though, what can he do? Genuine question here; this problem has haunted us for a while now, even pre-Jose. Tonight, we tried passing it round, we tried lumping it in, tried some set pieces. I'm never sure whats the best course against teams that park the bus.

Again, genuine question; do other teams have that issue? I feel when I watch Liverpool or City or them, it never seems to be the same tactics against them...
    I don't really see the need for a massive overhaul or rebuild of the squad as some here have suggested. What concerns me watching United in these games is that I don't think signing new players will fix the problem. Other teams just seem so content to come to OT,sit back, kill the game and take a point. We have a first XI that is capable of ripping most teams in the league apart if they were to actually try and play us. Players like Martial, Mkhitaryan, Rashford, Lingard thrive on space where they can run at people or in behind people - Lingard's goal against Middlesbrough for example. Players like Pogba, Mata, Carrick are more effective when they can play passes in space. Ibrahimovic will obviously be more dangerous when defences are stretched and he isn't playing with his back to goal.

When teams sit back though and double up on our wingers, park DMs in front of their box, double or triple mark Ibrahimovic inside in the box it just nullifies everything. We're left to lumping in crosses, which - especially judging by tonight's evidence could do with a lot of improvement - but crossing the ball in from out wide is such an inefficient method of getting goals. More often than not there is more people defending the cross than attacking it, keepers can catch the ball and refs can't blow fast enough for off sides or any hint of a foul from an attacking player. Even if an attacking player meets the cross it doesn't always end up on target or powerful enough to result in a goal. When we're crossing the ball in games like tonight where the team is already sitting deep it's just so easy to defend. The box is already crowded with defenders who are static, ready, and holding a good shape.

Of course the players can improve things like crossing more accurately, moving the ball quicker and actually converting chances when they arrive but we've seen Chelsea and Inter Milan win Champions Leagues by completely nullifying superior sides like this. Those superior sides had better players than we do but when the opposition is determined to play like that there isn't always a lot they can do. That's why I don't see how running off and buying Griezmann and Lukaku and Sanchez will solve everything. We're still going to come up against a wall of defenders who are only interested in getting a point. There were probably many games like this under LVG last season where we probably thought if only we had quality like Mkhitaryan, Ibrahimovic, Pogba in the side we'd be scoring and winning more.We have those players and we're still struggling.

The obvious counter to all this is, why aren't the other top 6 sides able to beat these teams? That's something I don't know and something I've been trying to focus more on when I watch those games. How are these teams scoring their goals and creating good chances when we can't? Are smaller sides more defensive at OT than the Emirates, Stamford Bridge etc? I don't know. All I know when I watch United at the moment is that it's hard to see how new signings would make much of a difference.

I'll answer that question from an Arsenal perspective. Teams at the Emirates nearly always park the bus and it can be so frustrating. Loads of time wasting from goal kicks etc. I'm sure it happens at the Etihad, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane and Anfield too. If a tactic works consistently against a team than others will copy it. That's why it can be easier away from home at times.

We try to pass our way through teams that play deep and we don't have the guile in the team for that. It's nearly a safe option to play with little personal risk.

We rarely see our players taking on a player and going past him. We certain,y need this to help unlock teams who set up to defend. It's the only way to get them out of shape and create space.

The midfield still isn't right. Maybe wasn't overly important tonight but it's still a serious concern for me for next season and playing in the bigger games.

I also think there is s confidence issue in the squad now. You can almost feel it watching them play. It's all such an effort.

Honestly though it's hard to see where the answer lies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Hello darkness my old friend.

And overcoming those difficult days where the bus gets parked at OT often boils down to whether your elite players deliver or not.

It comes down to fine margins that we are on the wrong side of at the moment.

Accurate execution at the right moment (and not just in front of goal)
    Good decision making
    Consistent high quality set pieces

The list goes on...

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/X1nrnNk2Xus

Interviews with Jose, Zlatan and Carrick from MUTV

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

This utter sh!t with Luke Shaw by Mourinho is just ridiculous.

It's tantamount to bullying in the workplace at this point. I mean, what on earth does he expect to achieve by complete evisceration of Shaw's character. He's 21 years old, playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world in terms of scrutiny (we've been pretty awful in actual footballing) on the back of a serious leg break.

Sure, try good cop and bad cop routines in private. To a certain extent.

If anyone said those things about me in work, privately, let alone to the entire world I'd be furious.

What an absolute deflection from the other issues going on.

I'm sick of Mourinho by now, I've lasted longer than I thought I would. There's a level of indifference about results that I haven't had before and perhaps whoever the manager is wouldn't change that but it's hard to associate yourself with an entity that sees this behaviour as acceptable.

Perhaps I'm a delicate flower surrounded by thorns but this flower needed to get this rant off my chest :pac:

*slips back into the shadows for another 6 months*

Zlatan

Thats the 2nd goal they steal from me from me this season but thats ok I'll steal them back :D

adox wrote: »
    But you think each of the other 10/13 would?

Even for the usuals on here that go out of their way to blame Fellaini for everything I find it bizzare that the finger is being pointed at him tonight.

I didn't blame Fellaini for tonight. Just don't think we will ever be a team pushing for title with him in starting 11. There are others in that category too. Still believe we were rightly mugged paying 89 mil for Pogba. Really poor bit of business.
    The way Mourinho hangs out dirty linen doesn't sit well with me at all, his episode tonight regarding Shaw was quite disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What did Jose say about Shaw ?

This decline started as far back as the leveraged buyout.

During the last few fergie years investment was not made when it was needed as money was diverted to pay off debt.

Fergie miraculously won titles with a flawed squad. However the back 4 were allowed age together and Rio, Vida and Patrice all left in quick succession. Bye-bye defence. Smalling and Jones aren't Rio and Vida.

In midfield Scholes stopped coming out of retirement, Giggs retired and new players like Hargreaves, Anderson :) Depay and Fletcher didn't stand up over time. Bye-bye midfield.

Moyes arrived, knew deep down the squad was flawed but was afraid to dismantle a league winning team as people would think he was nuts. Dithered and signed Fellaini in a panic trying to force Everton to part with Baines.

In comes LVG. He brings in Falcao, Valdes, Schweinsteiger, Di Maria, Romero, Depay, Darmian, Rojo, Blind, Martial and Shaw. Of these, 6 have left and 3 feature some way regularly. Bye-bye £250m.

LVG placed faith in Rooney and his decline has been rapid and RVP, who's goals papered over cracks in Fergie's last year, is watching coup d'état attempts in Turkey. Bye-bye strikers.

Now Jose has a squad that will probably soon lose De Gea, has a winger at RB, Bailly plays with any one of three clowns (Smalling, Jones or Rojo) and has no faith in Shaw.

In midfield Pogba is the world's most expensive haircut. Herrera is a lovely guy but isn't a future league-winning starting midfielder and we play young strikers on the wings.

Zlatan is scoring the goals that keep us one goal scored ahead of Bournemouth.

You couldn't make this crap up. We are a Europa League team cos we deserve to be one. Pogba has hit the bar nine times cos he can't finish and we're not unlucky, just very limited.

Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bandage

Bandage wrote: »
    Mourinho seems to be getting quite an easy ride from Manchester United supporters. Even prior to the deserved red card the other night, they approached the game like a minnow club. Picked a load of cloggers, stuck everyone behind the ball, man marked opposition danger players, systematically fouled their best player. It was fairly grim. His grandstanding in post-match interviews is pretty tiresome too. Oh look, there's Mourinho giving soliloquys about why he won't speak about something.

It's taken a few weeks longer than I expected but a section of the Manchester United support appear to be belatedly questioning Mourinho's performance (56 points from his first 29 league games, 2 less than Louis Van Gaal) and post-match interview grandstanding and transparent distraction tactics.

I think Ken Early's recent article after the Manchester City-Liverpool match made a pertinent point - while neither of these sides will win the league and each has certain weaknesses, they both move the ball with speed and incision and have an attacking ambition and tempo that's on another level to Mourinho's Manchester United team.

It's now become imperative to win the Europa League and only that will salvage the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Mirror saying United need to match his ambition if he's to stay next season.
    The Express saying reports from America say he's headed to the MLS next season.

"I'll tell you because I told him already, he had a good performance but it was his body with my brain"

"Because he was in front of me and I was making every decision for him, the communication was possible because we were very, very close, but I was thinking for him"

"At this level, we need the fantastic body he has to play football, the fantastic physical qualities he has, the very good technical ability he has, but he cannot play with my understanding of the game. He must understand the game, he must think, he must accelerate the process because 21 years old, he is old enough to have a better understanding of the game.

"...but his contribution was good, he improved the team. What was good for him, I think he goes today with a positive feeling because his performance was very positive and I am happy with what he gave us."

Yes, Jose is complimentary of Shaw, but by that stage he has torn him down to rubble. Great that Jose is pushing him in private to do better, however some of these "He was playing with my brain" lines are a bit much IMO. Again, tell him that in private, but I don't think it does any good at the press conference.

Edit: Here's the video:

so jose wants Shaw to do, what he wants tactically. This is hardly a biggie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

adox wrote: »
    Do we though? I think it's being overstated and the lack of finishing is being overplayed. What clear cut chances did we actually creat tonight? Ibras miss. I can't remember many more that weren't a set piece or a bounce of the ball in the box.

If it was only finishing that was missing I wouldn't be overly concerned. The inability of the team to open a team up and creat clear cut chances is very worrying. The tempo of the play is very worrying. Players hiding is very worrying. Jose saying that the team showed great heart in the second half is worrying.

United need a player able to beat players in tight circumstances, a Hazard, Ozil, Mata etc. To lay the ball off and receive the ball back again, able to shoot from the edge of the box, to keep the lines of defenders honest.

And they need to let him be allowed to risk trying something and it not paying off and losing possession.

It's not about finishing or taking chances, it's a structural way about how United are attacking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Utd are the gang that couldn't shoot straight but knowing why is the mystery, people say you can't blame the manager for strikers not being able to score and yet there must be something going on in training week in, week out to inhibit clear thinking and being able to "see" the goal when the decisive moment arrives.

Ah here.

There has been some scutter posted by you lads but this is near the top of the pile.

Pogba alone has hit the woodwork something like 9 times this season alone.

But that's Jose's fault.

G'way outta that will ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

dfx- wrote: »
    United need a player able to beat players in tight circumstances, a Hazard, Ozil, Mata etc. To lay the ball off and receive the ball back again, able to shoot from the edge of the box, to keep the lines of defenders honest.

And they need to let him be allowed to risk trying something and it not paying off and losing possession.

It's not about finishing or taking chances, it's a structural way about how United are attacking.

I think Lingard has done a good job of that when played centrally and Mkhitaryan is also well capable of it. It's just the positions and lack of movement around them that hamstrings them. Been the same through the middle for years now.

I thought Pogba would be the ball carrier when he joined but he's shown that he's more prone to using his technicality than using his athleticism which is something that's holding him back slightly. Though that may have to do with the number of games he's played as he definitely put in more of a shift last night after his break.

It's been tough the last few years to really put a foot on what the problem is overall but imo it's that the vast majority of attacks out wide are still resulting in hopeless crosses into the box. Valencia and Young were instigators under Moyes and they still find themselves doing it here 3 years later. Unimaginative players who have shown they are incompetent attackers being given the ball in attacking positions and just being clueless.

Obviously it's reductive to blame the full backs and there's plenty of attacking players who have underperformed but until United solve their issues with regards building through the middle these guys who are incapable of getting in positions to create are holding the attack back.

so jose wants Shaw to do, what he wants tactically. This is hardly a biggie

Seriously..... you listened to it and you didn't think it was a biggie... I'm sure Shaw is walking around with his head held high and his chest out.... what do other players think.... a sure way to lose the dressing room , Mourinho not handling the pressure at all. Fcking daft .

Mourinho's comments about Shaw seem very calm and collected as opposed to passionate and as a result of the pressure being too much.

You can argue that they might not be best placed but I don't see them as a indicator that he's buckling under the pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You could see Jose talking to Shaw last night. There was a moment when the ball turned over and was sent down Evertons right and Rojo had to come out and across. shaw wasn't making an effort quick enough to get back and help out and Jose was gesturing to Shaw to come back. If you're a defender and the ball is closer to your goal than you are then you don't even need to think about it, you just have to burst your nuts to get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Classless yet again from jose. Id say shaw and other squad members arent happy with his comments about shaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Classless yet again from jose. Id say shaw and other squad members arent happy with his comments about shaw.

We have no idea what is going on .The other players could be delighted Jose is trying to light a fire under him.
    Nothing worse than someone squandering their talent.

yabadabado wrote: »
    We have no idea what is going on .The other players could be delighted Jose is trying to light a fire under him.
    Nothing worse than someone squandering their talent.

If he needs better coaching, then coach him, he doesnt need to be questioning his intelligence in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

If he needs better coaching, then coach him, he doesnt need to be questioning his intelligence in public.

He needs to pull the finger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This decline started as far back as the leveraged buyout.

During the last few fergie years investment was not made when it was needed as money was diverted to pay off debt.

Fergie miraculously won titles with a flawed squad. However the back 4 were allowed age together and Rio, Vida and Patrice all left in quick succession. Bye-bye defence. Smalling and Jones aren't Rio and Vida.

In midfield Scholes stopped coming out of retirement, Giggs retired and new players like Hargreaves, Anderson :) Depay and Fletcher didn't stand up over time. Bye-bye midfield.

Moyes arrived, knew deep down the squad was flawed but was afraid to dismantle a league winning team as people would think he was nuts. Dithered and signed Fellaini in a panic trying to force Everton to part with Baines.

In comes LVG. He brings in Falcao, Valdes, Schweinsteiger, Di Maria, Romero, Depay, Darmian, Rojo, Blind, Martial and Shaw. Of these, 6 have left and 3 feature some way regularly. Bye-bye £250m.

LVG placed faith in Rooney and his decline has been rapid and RVP, who's goals papered over cracks in Fergie's last year, is watching coup d'état attempts in Turkey. Bye-bye strikers.

Now Jose has a squad that will probably soon lose De Gea, has a winger at RB, Bailly plays with any one of three clowns (Smalling, Jones or Rojo) and has no faith in Shaw.

In midfield Pogba is the world's most expensive haircut. Herrera is a lovely guy but isn't a future league-winning starting midfielder and we play young strikers on the wings.

Zlatan is scoring the goals that keep us one goal scored ahead of Bournemouth.

You couldn't make this crap up. We are a Europa League team cos we deserve to be one. Pogba has hit the bar nine times cos he can't finish and we're not unlucky, just very limited.

Rant over.

You forgot what i regard to be one of the biggest sins, selling Chico for a crazy 10mill :mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Jose has been working with him for 8 months now. You think he hasn't tried that? You think in the 8 months working with players privately, he's not tried different things to try and fix any attitude problems?

If Jose is being harsh (and I don't believe he's being THAT harsh in his public comments tbh), then it's because he feels he's run out of options and is trying one last public motivational technique.

Compare it to his comments on Rashford...

"The kid is desperate. He doesn’t score a goal since September, the only thing he deserves is support, no criticism."

Rashford is an example of a player Jose feels is low on confidence who deserves support and the chance to play his way back into form. Shaw seems to be an example of a kid with a dreadful attitude (according to multiple managers now) who isn't trying. As far as I'd be concerned, if Shaw isn't that bothered, the door is there for him. He's done very little in a United jersey to warrant more support than the manager.

No one fully knows whats going on behind the scenes with shaw. I hope it works out for him though at united because he is a fantastic left back and could potentially be our left back for the next 10 years.

Pogba again off the crossbar last night, some teams over a season dont hit the post/crossbar as much as he has. He has been unbelievably unlucky.

Also a few on here writing him off already saying he is a waste of money etc etc its laughable. Pogba will be the main man in our team for the foreseeable future. He will probably end his "poor" season on over 10 goals which wont be a bad return considering he is not playing his best

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

At the moment Utd just seem easy to play against,if you keep them out they will revert to just crossing the ball from any angle,most of them just seem hit and hope crosses and it gets predictable,

Only once in the first half did they work it for Young to get in behind the defence,put in a lovely cross but the three lads in the box didnt take a gamble on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Many here said Shaws performance was good, I'd have said it was a good performance and an adequate answer to Jose for the fair criticism he got. I'm surprised with Mourinho's comments tbh. Were they warranted after what seemed like a big improvement in Shaws performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

As if it's the first time Jose has pointed figures at a scape goat to mask his failures.

Shaw is a young lad wow had a horrific almost career ending injury. He will take at least this season ticket back to his best.

Jose has spent a fortune and ibra is putting pressure on or he will leave. Jose is without doubt under pressure. He got an easy ride so far but if this continues next season fans will turn.

Jose is a bully that has stopped winning so now he is struggling to find alies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Everyone talking about Shaw not Mourinho's record at Old Trafford. Job done from Jose. He has found his scapegoat.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Many here said Shaws performance was good, I'd have said it was a good performance and an adequate answer to Jose for the fair criticism he got. I'm surprised with Mourinho's comments tbh. Were they warranted after what seemed like a big improvement in Shaws performance?

I thought it was ok, but he wasn't massively tested, was he? He didn't have to do anything defensively, and his contribution to offense was to lump balls into the box with varying degrees of success.

Out of interest, exactly what part of Jose's comments surprise you? Like, the exact words?

Hell, Jose even says...

"...but his contribution was good, he improved the team. What was good for him, I think he goes today with a positive feeling because his performance was very positive and I am happy with what he gave us."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pogba again off the crossbar last night, some teams over a season dont hit the post/crossbar as much as he has. He has been unbelievably unlucky

Has he been unlucky or is it just poor finishing? At this stage I'd be leaning more towards poor finishing.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Has he been unlucky or is it just poor finishing? At this stage I'd be leaning more towards poor finishing.

Unlucky imo. Last night was unlucky, off the top of my head he smashed the crossbar from 30 yards earlier in the season, thats unlucky, bicycle kick in one game, thats unlucky, cross bar from header in another was unlucky, smashed the post from outside the box was another. Thats all i remember off the top of my head. I would be more worried if he wasnt getting chances. Also dont forget all the chances he has created for team mates that werent finished off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement